Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Zam Wesell posted:

how big is the userbase for people who use touch on linux

i used to use xournal to take notes in class on my x61 tablet, but that was stylus and explicitly not touchscreen (which i disabled)

looks like theres a fork/rewrite xournal++ now, neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i did a fresh install of debian+gnome (so all defaults) on my laptop for funsies and it only recognizes one mouse button

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mycophobia posted:

gently caress it i installed gnome. whats the worst that could happen

you've already arrived at "the worst that could happen" by installing gnome

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
EDIT theres a separate "Tweaks" settings thing that lets me reenable the right mouse button

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Last Chance posted:

depends on if u mean the command “touch” or not xD

XDDDD

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mycophobia posted:

EDIT theres a separate "Tweaks" settings thing that lets me reenable the right mouse button

there are some extensions that make gnome more usable. unfortunately they’re written in JavaScript and have a tendency to crash. when I was looking for a wayland-compatible guakelike I found an extension called dTile that works OK most of the time. i really like a dropdown terminal.

you install the extensions through a browser extension for installing gnome extensions. lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

you install the extensions through a browser extension for installing gnome extensions. lol

ya this is insanely fail

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that's okay, I'll still keep using that garbage.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

mycophobia posted:

i did a fresh install of debian+gnome (so all defaults) on my laptop for funsies and it only recognizes one mouse button

I know gnome copy apple but this is taking it too far

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

post hole digger posted:

gnome 40 is pretty good but would be a lot beter if it wasnt so touchscreen centric.

it would be nice if it actually was usable as a touch device though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kde or bust

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

the average linux distro fresh out of the box has like, six different package managers installed for four different purposes lomarf

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the actual idiotic issue with fedora and gnome-extensions, is that if you just press install on an extension right after a fresh install it will default to installing the extension through a flatpak-provided gnome-extensions package

as if a javascript based desktop didn't have enough layers already

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

with gnome nautilus i could browse my bitlocker-encrypted windows disks effortlessly. it would automatically decrypt them and ask for sudo password to mount them, done.

with kde dolphin i still get prompted for the password, but then i get the message 'authorization required' or some poo poo.

alright, let's sudo this

...if i try to sudo dolphin it says that for security reasons (!) dolphin cannot be run as sudo. what the gently caress, is this macos, trying to protect me from violating the security of my own machine?

fake edit: lol the phabricator thread for this is loving hilarious:

quote:

Hmm, actually this doesn't catch kdesu dolphin because that doesn't set SUDO_USER...

Can you try checking also the USER variable?

quote:

It looks like kdesu sets KDESU_USER.

quote:

Why is kdesu doing it's own thing?
I always considered kdesu to be the "graphical sudo" version.. Can't it just set the environment variables that sudo uses? Perhaps set additional ones if needed, but that it is - in terms of environment variables - compatible with sudo?

quote:

That's not the only problem with kdesu:

it sets wrong USER
it doesn't set KDESU_UID
it doesn't set KDESU_GID
it doesn't set KDESU_COMMAND
etc

quote:

what about :
su root
DISPLAY=:0 dolphin

why should that be allowed given that it has the same risk?

quote:

Determined people will always get around security measures that annoy them. How would you suggest that we re-enable running Dolphin as the actual root user so that we can un-break people for whom this is important or necessary?

quote:

Honestly I don't think we need to support that. If a user really wants that they can patch dolphin. We don't have to support every user wish. If I would have supported every user wish KWin would be an unmaintainable monster.

Also I think it's a really stupid idea to run the session as root. Yes users might do that but we are not obliged to support their crazy ideas. (That reminds me: I need to patch kwin_wayland to disallow running as root)

quote:

I know you're against root session use. I'm not in favor of it myself. But IMHO it's not our jobs as DE providers to make this decision for our users or their distros. This change has broken Kali, a popular KDE-using distro. openSUSE has already patched it out. Kali may eventually have to patch it out too, or switch to another DE. I assume that's not what we want...

quote:

We also have a focus on security. Your change destroys part of a security improvement we did. Please don't argument with the focus on Usability as security is also a focus.

I give you something to think about for the usability aspect. Users harassed me because of this change, although I have not done it. This has happened several times. Do we want to crave for the small amount of users who go so far as to send hate mail to core KDE developers? I strongly suggest to not give in to such bullying behavior.

quote:

Martin, listening to our users isn't being bullied. If we make a change that upsets our users, that's a really good sign that we might want to reconsider it.

btw, the actual vuln that preventing sudo (but not a billion other ways to elevate) protects you from:

quote:

To explain again: a website can trigger downloads in Chromium. They are by default saved to the user's home directory without (!) asking or informing the user about it. If there is any application running which monitors the directory and loads the files, you have lost.

Examples are:

baloo indexing
dolphin showing previews
gwenview showing previews
music player picking up new audio files
video players picking up new audio files
many more
They all act on the new data, because usability suggests to show the new downloaded files. And that's good! But it opens a risk. If there is a vulnerability, the user gets owned. Unfortunately we cannot harden against all, because new vulnerabilities are discovered each and every day. So yes mitigation is unfortunately one of the things we need and have to consider as strategy. What you describe from OSX does not protect against such problems.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
I temporarily lost sound through the speakers on my debian laptop yesterday. I was initially all ":argh: linux!" but it turned out to be a physical problem with the headphone jack.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

"If a user really wants that they can patch dolphin."

This is hilarious.

The only other graphical app I know of that pulls this poo poo to any degree is Wireshark. Except, to their credit, they only give you a stern warning rather than refuse to run outright.

I guarantee that no user is really asking for security checks like this. And anyone who is running apps as root should already know what they're getting into.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sb hermit posted:

And anyone who is running apps as root should already know what they're getting into.

or is dumb enough that they're going to do it no matter how many chest high walls you put in their way

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

how big is the userbase for people who use touch on linux

pretty big if you count recent chromebooks, though the vast majority of those people are never going to try to sideload a gnome desktop

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

"If a user really wants that they can patch dolphin."

This is hilarious.

The only other graphical app I know of that pulls this poo poo to any degree is Wireshark. Except, to their credit, they only give you a stern warning rather than refuse to run outright.

I guarantee that no user is really asking for security checks like this. And anyone who is running apps as root should already know what they're getting into.

this is where you need someone like linus in charge to come in and crack some nerd heads

years ago i was using an old computer as a home nas running freebsd, and after updating things i started to get weird errors and failures on basically anything that connected to a server. some tinfoil hat turbo nerd decided that they shouldn't include any certificates by default anymore because :tinfoil:NSA:tinfoil:, which completely hosed SSL. cue some arguing on a mailing list for a few days before a project leader stepped in, reverted the change and basically virtually slapped the poo poo out of all of them because "NO NO NO YOU DO NOT COMPLETELY BREAK THINGS FOR EVERYONE JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE PARANOID"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wonder what the tinfoil hat idiot expected normal people to do. Download certificates and manually copy them? And then make sure the permissions are set correctly on the files? (I would also put in an selinux labeling joke but this is freebsd) And maybe run a certificate cache script to allow certificates to be found via fingerprint rather than common name?

Certificate management is a nightmare. Then again, systems administration is a nightmare.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i don't remember that happening, but it sounds bonkers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i don't remember that happening, but it sounds bonkers

iirc it happened in a release candidate or beta, so it wasn't rolled out into production, but it was intentional, should have never happened, and had crazy people arguing that it was a good thing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The_Franz posted:

iirc it happened in a release candidate or beta, so it wasn't rolled out into production, but it was intentional, should have never happened, and had crazy people arguing that it was a good thing
i'm confused, because there was no root certificate store until the CAROOT build option option and certctl got added, which is a fairly recent development

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the freebsd defender has logged on

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i'm confused, because there was no root certificate store until the CAROOT build option option and certctl got added, which is a fairly recent development

all i know is that after the update, anything at all that tried to use https didn't work because some maintainer decided that certificates couldn't be trusted and that users should install them on their own if they wanted to use such esoteric things as SSL. a higher up basically had to tell them to knock it the gently caress off because you don't break things for everyone due to your tinfoil hat bullshit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

phabricator posted:

SUMMARY
Prohibiting the use of Dolphin as the actual root user (not using sudo or kdesu) breaks legitimate use cases for using the root user. An example is Kali, a distro that logs in as the root user by default as a deliberate design choice.

Kali Linux posted:

The most advanced Penetration Testing Distribution
Kali Linux is an open-source, Debian-based Linux distribution geared towards various information security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security Research, Computer Forensics and Reverse Engineering.

Kali Linux doc justifying this insanity posted:

Kali Linux, however, as a security and auditing platform, contains many which tools can only run with root privileges.

loving lmao

sadly I must report that sanity entered the building and that last is an archived page because they changed their defaults so that normally you use a real user account now

it's hilarious though that the response to "oh hey pentesters might have to use a sudo now and then" was ever, even for a millisecond, "gently caress it just do everything as root"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Having used Kali for its intended purpose, in anger, logging in as root is the least of your concerns with that distribution.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the freebsd defender has logged on

in the mid 2000s put my time and effort into learning freebsd well because i figured it’d be a better bet in the job market and would translate to OS X. “surely companies would favor the bsd license, sensible architecture, and excellent documentation.”

i used to carry around the design and implementation of the freebsd operating system. i can’t get over it and i hate systemd so much. i don’t have it in me to learn the same amount of linux. everything that followed has been an embitttering disappointment.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

i used to carry around the design and implementation of the freebsd operating system.

lmbo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

im on the spectrum and carried the dsm-4 in the space i had left in my backpack. also the Smalltalk 80 blue book

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

NihilCredo posted:

fake edit: lol the phabricator thread for this is loving hilarious:

I'm the K Desu

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
i don’t remember the last time i’ve used an actual file manager on linux, and i’ve been running some flavor of linux on my personal laptop for over a decade

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dougdrums posted:

i don’t remember the last time i’ve used an actual file manager on linux, and i’ve been running some flavor of linux on my personal laptop for over a decade

I use nautilus if I have to do anything with MTP. Which is whenevrr I have to push or pull crap from android phones and tablets.

Yes, there are command line mtp things and they are much faster than the file manager. But I use them sparingly because all of this is not as intuitive as just using standard cd/cp/rm on the command line.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
yeah the mtp stuff does suck i could see that

it’s probably mtp that sucks now that i think about it

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 29, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ocean of Milk posted:

I'm the K Desu

banime

I also read it that way at first :ninja:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mawarannahr posted:

i used to carry around the design and implementation of the freebsd operating system. i can’t get over it and i hate systemd so much. i don’t have it in me to learn the same amount of linux. everything that followed has been an embitttering disappointment.

but why do you hate systemd?

do you hate it because it replaces /etc/rc?

or do you hate it because it’s a poor imitation of launchd?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

king.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mawarannahr posted:

im on the spectrum and carried the dsm-4 in the space i had left in my backpack. also the Smalltalk 80 blue book

BSD+Smalltalk is an interesting combination

were you trying to work for Hewlett-Packard or Tektronix during the 1980s?

(I have a couple Tektronix UNIX/Smalltalk workstations on a pallet for me in Pittsburgh right now…)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this reads like the shrimp saved my life story

that's cool they're more motivated to do stuff now, rather than be helpless