Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LionArcher posted:

Indie overhyped the film and Last Duel the straight mans catnip "lets show a rape onscreen three times film?" It's like a single sentence version of film bro.

you definitely did not see the last duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My friend sent me this and I have no idea where he got it but um...

quote:

Picture this.
You're 17 years old, working at some grease counter in your hometown that everyone loves because there's literally no other options and mozzarella sticks are pretty hard to gently caress up.
One day your boss comes in, hes got a laundry list of poo poo he needs done around the place because next week the place is going to be on some TV show for food network.
You're pissed. Because you know it's Restaurant Rescues and you know 90% of the places that go on that show buckle within 6 months. Now you've not only got to do a bunch of annoying poo poo but also find another job.

Now it's Saturday, the camera crews are setting up. The whole place smells like Pine-Sol and is packed because a bunch of bumpkins are just fuckin chuffed at the opportunity to be on the television.

You're standing at the counter awkwardly taking orders in a way that's more annoying and professional than you've ever done before and your boss is hovering. As you stare into the void over the head of the foot faced man who owns the Ace Hardware combination Hollywood Video that constitutes the economic center of this municipality you can see a yellow Ford F250 with flames on it pull into the parking lot.

Out jumps a man who looks like a giant alien worm trying unsuccessfully to disguise himself as a vape shop owner. But you laugh because you get to keep your job and take some sick pics for facebook clout. You never thought you'd be so relieved for the opportunity to come back to this shithole.

And within minutes of filming you find him extremely charming. Every meme you'd ever shared about a man whose character is frosted tips and flame shirts now suddenly disservices the extremely pleasant being before you. As he goes through the motions of helping you make your "famous" chicken parm sub. Which retails for an indulgent $7.99 you're laughing. This isn't the missing link between Violent J and the singer for Smash Mouth. This guy is great. You feel intoxicated as you work.

"So tell me about the spices you put on this whopper of a sandwich"

"Oh nothing too exciting, just garlic/onions/parsley/oregano"

"I love spices. Let me see you do it"

Hes standing behind you now, with steady practiced hands helping you apply the flavors to the sandwich. Exageratedly fawning over you and the percieved flavors of the sandwich. You breathe him in and are overcome with how otherworldly he smells.

"Show me the spice closet. I wanna see what you've got for spices. Let's see if we can kick this baby into overdrive. Let's spice it up"

You look into his piercing blue eyes and grin.
Your fingers caress the tired stainless knob that was but five feet from where you stood just moments ago practically embracing.

Upon opening the door your eyes are met with an unfamiliar vision. Instead of weathered racks of grease clouded plastic bottles and a water heater. You look out into a derelict desert city. Small cracked brown buildings feature uncharacteristically futuristic doors, and guards disguised as traders shift uneasily trying to disguise state of the art guns.

"So this is where you keep the spices then. Is this on Arrakis?"

But your breath is too short to respond.

As you turn around. The restaurant begins to melt away. His eyes grow deeper blue and you hear a thunderous noise from behind you. The illusion dissolves like a drug trip, as the disguise begins to strip away. Your heart is pounding. You feel absolute terror.

This man. Who is clearly no man then forcefully pushes you through the door and the portal immediately closes as you lay on your back in the sand. The sound of the wind is cut by an apocalyptic roar.

The last sight your eyes behold. Is the miles long flame print trunk of the great blonde sand worm bursting forth from the desert in pursuit of the spices stored here. Flavortowns greatest weapon unfurls. Distant voices shout "It's Guy Halud" before the entire town is swallowed by the beast. The dust quickly consumes the rubble and by days end any evidence of the slaughter is all but forgotten by the sand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I only worship one god and his name is Shai-Hulud

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

D-Pad posted:

Your friend owns and now he’s my friend not yours I called dibs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
We're like peas in a pod, the three of us, let's face it. You want somebody out of the house, I want to get somebody out of your house. Come on- look! You've been to Saturn. Hey, I've been to Saturn! Whoa! Sandworms- you hate em, right? I hate em myself!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Looking forward to 2UNC, and if it does really well, DU3C
DUNCUT GEMS

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ALFbrot posted:

can we take the movie back, un-release it, and somehow strike Dune knowledge from the brains of most people

*eyes widen* DESERT power

[William Hurt]Here we need desert power...

Desert POWER.[/William Hurt]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dunerefined Spice

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Steve Yun posted:

I only worship one god and his name is Shai-Hulud

usul caught himself a big one! :3:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Chani better get naked like in the goddamn 2000 miniseries

also they better not cut out the spice orgy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: mentats
Book Thufir ain't a genius, he's just technocrat. Hence his lack of imagination - the plan to make Feyd popular that he sells the baron on is the same one he and Leto were gonna do with Paul

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you definitely did not see the last duel

I love how salty this thread is! Like I dunno what neuoromancer even is but this:

Dracula Factory posted:

Hey maybe I like it for reasons you don't understand? It's art? Grow up.

:discourse:

I enjoyed Dunc . . . but apparently not enough to keep from becoming a racist and/or rapist, lol

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Chani better get naked like in the goddamn 2000 miniseries

also they better not cut out the spice orgy

It's pg 13 dude, chill

And not the edgy pg 13, the YA pg 13

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

e: Points for the post/user name combo, though. But really, it's okay if you know literally nothing about Dune, but "deconstructing the noble savage" is literally just one of the reason Herbert wrote the book, and you should probably not pretend you aren't talking to a thread full of Dune nerds right now.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that it makes it functionally impossible to criticize the writing of the characters of the book. If the hyper-competent character does something competent and I believe it, then that's what it means. If I don't believe it then it was supposed to mean the opposite. It's an unfalsifiable argument.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Nice

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The problem is that the explanation is an obvious cop out that makes it impossible to criticize the writing of the book in any way. The hyper-competent characters are hyper-competent, except when you don't buy it; then they're meant to have been idiots all along. Heads I win, tails you lose.

That's why you argue using evidence from the entire text, a thing we read repeatedly for fun, to contextualize it. Information from Herbert's life and social context is also helpful.

It's true, if there's something in the film or book that contradicts the reading, that it's worth bringing up. Even if it doesn't outright contradict it, any analysis of a text is going to be a generalization that can be complicated by some piece that doesn't quite fit. That can be the beginning of a "better" (more complete, convincing, and/or satisfying) reading.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I saw it yesterday and loved it, but I think by far the weakest element of the movie -- leaving aside the fact that it's obviously a Part One that can't stand on its own -- is the sword fighting.

I think there are two parts to this. First, the sword fights themselves just aren't that great, as already noted. The choreography is pretty uninspired, and in a movie that's full of otherwise awe-inspiring visuals that weakness is even more glaring. Second, while to book readers I think it improved the movie not to include some hamfisted exposition about why in the far future people are still fighting with knives, to those unfamiliar with the universe the fact that the Harkonnens can carpet bomb Arrakeen and attempt to blast a thopter out of the sky with a laser but still feel the need to drop a bunch of soldiers to fight in hand to hand combat must be pretty baffling.

On that note, Paul's future vision of the Fremen-Sardaukar fight was by far the worst part of the film visually, I think. The outfits and the setup just looked cheap and the CGI of Paul opening his helmet to reveal his face looked terrible (I'm surprised they're actually including it in trailers, frankly).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

to those unfamiliar with the universe the fact that the Harkonnens can carpet bomb Arrakeen and attempt to blast a thopter out of the sky with a laser but still feel the need to drop a bunch of soldiers to fight in hand to hand combat must be pretty baffling.

Why would that be baffling? We can carpet bomb people now yet still send actual soldiers to 'war.'

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

That's why you argue using evidence from the entire text, a thing we read repeatedly for fun, to contextualize it.
You didn't do that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think you guys overestimate how strongly people feel about the mechanical logic of action sequences in movies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You didn't do that.

Fair, but a click on the ? on this post will allow you to read me nerd out about this subject in far too much detail. If you still aren't satisfied I'd be glad to be nerdy more about it.

e: You will notice I also revise my reading a hell of a lot over time, in part due to people pointing out things I hadn't accounted for.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Why would that be baffling? We can carpet bomb people now yet still send actual soldiers to 'war.'

Because they use a bunch of projectile weapons but then send in troops to run at people with knives out in the open. You don't understand why to an average viewer with no outside knowledge of the Dune universe that would be confusing? Especially since we've already just seen in the prior scene with Leto that projectile weapons of a kind do work against people with shields..

Before you dive into an explanation, yes I understand why the dart guns wouldn't work in combat, how combat with blade weapons is ritualized, etc., but the movie doesn't do a good job of explaining that to viewers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the shields' strange behavior generally justifies the quirks of large-scale combat tactics in this movie. They clearly make most projectiles useless, and while their behavior during melee combat feels a bit inconsistent, I think that actually supports the idea that the audience only partly understands the shields.

I definitely stand by my pre-release concerns that the martial arts would be hard to capture. imo when people talk about Dune being unfilmable, they often gloss over the fact that on top of all of its psychedelic sci-fi weirdness it should be a completely legitimate martial arts action movie, and it's kind of impossible to expect that of this kind of production.

Ultimately I was surprised how much I liked it. Most of the tweaks were not just ok but really effective ways to focus the plot (especially the Jamis vision stuff, I had to look up that dude because I realized I loved him in Too Old to Die Young), but I was pretty ok with the things that I found to be straight-up compromises. The martial arts stuff is kind of undeniably a bit watered down imo, but I'm ok with the result. And I may be weird but the Baron is the other compromise from my point of view. Say what you will about his portrayal in the book being problematic, but he's fun. The book baron is literally the evilest dude ever to exist but he has huge George Costanza energy at the same time and it really adds an amazing counterpoint to the overall thread of questioning the "serious hero" narrative. I think you could absolutely attempt to craft a Vladimir Harkonnen for this movie who is not homophobic but still carries the same kind of absurd paranoid scheming villain energy in fun and wacky ways, but it feels like they just gave up on it. He was still cool as kind of a weird Northern European mob boss, and I understand the motivations to simplify his character, but it was probably the thing I missed the most.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah they really changed the baron for the film. The book Baron Harkonnen loves his job!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blood Boils posted:

I like how mentats in the book are like 90% just normal dudes, but then all the other special types of people all are weirdo mutants of some kind so they had to go back and invent "twisted mentats" so they could have them be a monster class too.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Martman posted:

Ultimately I was surprised how much I liked it. Most of the tweaks were not just ok but really effective ways to focus the plot (especially the Jamis vision stuff, I had to look up that dude because I realized I loved him in Too Old to Die Young), but I was pretty ok with the things that I found to be straight-up compromises. The martial arts stuff is kind of undeniably a bit watered down imo, but I'm ok with the result. And I may be weird but the Baron is the other compromise from my point of view. Say what you will about his portrayal in the book being problematic, but he's fun. The book baron is literally the evilest dude ever to exist but he has huge George Costanza energy at the same time and it really adds an amazing counterpoint to the overall thread of questioning the "serious hero" narrative. I think you could absolutely attempt to craft a Vladimir Harkonnen for this movie who is not homophobic but still carries the same kind of absurd paranoid scheming villain energy in fun and wacky ways, but it feels like they just gave up on it. He was still cool as kind of a weird Northern European mob boss, and I understand the motivations to simplify his character, but it was probably the thing I missed the most.

have you seen the miniseries? it feels like they had the adaptation of the baron you're picturing. this isn't a slight, he's by far the best part of it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope we get to see more of the baron and the harkonnens in the next installment. They weren't featured much

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

spicy meringue lmao

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Art

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

In the books, the spice is needed specifically because FTL folds space and without precognition it's impossible to plan a route through that space that won't collide with something. Presumably because you have to travel through the intervening space, just in a single instant with no time to react.

Not impossible, just dangerous.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MeinPanzer posted:

Because they use a bunch of projectile weapons but then send in troops to run at people with knives out in the open. You don't understand why to an average viewer with no outside knowledge of the Dune universe that would be confusing? Especially since we've already just seen in the prior scene with Leto that projectile weapons of a kind do work against people with shields..

Before you dive into an explanation, yes I understand why the dart guns wouldn't work in combat, how combat with blade weapons is ritualized, etc., but the movie doesn't do a good job of explaining that to viewers.

Fortunately we've had 15 years of superhero punch fights onscreen to completely immunize the American moviegoer against the idea of ranged combat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blood Boils posted:

I love how salty this thread is! Like I dunno what neuoromancer even is but this:

The accusation that OP hadn't seen The Last Duel isn't salt, it's because he said the rape is depicted three times when it's only depicted in the accounts of the attacker and victim. In the first version Jean De Carrouges, the husband, is away at the time and he, and the audience following along with him, only learn of the event after the fact. So it seems like OP maybe just saw the trailer and vaguely knows there's a Rashomon framework but hasn't actually seen it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Blood Boils posted:

Book Thufir ain't a genius, he's just technocrat. Hence his lack of imagination - the plan to make Feyd popular that he sells the baron on is the same one he and Leto were gonna do with Paul

He's a character widely seen in-universe as an absolutely terrifying Master of Assassins, not just some glorified clerk at the top of a bureaucracy. LIke even the bad guys say in effect, "What the gently caress do we even do about this guy?"

The book does a lot of having other people tell us how great and scary Hawat is while having him eat poo poo when it counts though. I'd call this bad writing but uh Dune is nothing but super awesome cool dudes just eating poo poo over and over so it's really a running theme.

Blood Boils posted:

I love how salty this thread is!

I mean, flippant shitposting in what's supposed to be at least a somewhat serious/sincere film discussion subform is going to aggravate people, yes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah I was watching with some friends and none of us knew anything about Dune so we had to pause the movie for ten minutes to figure out why they didn't use guns. Sorry just kidding. No one thought about it or cared. No one was confused about why they were using knives and spears and stuff. It's sci fi. People use weird and impractical weapons all the time in sci fi.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can you imagine the mayhem if A24 somehow got ahold of this franchise instead of WB?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There is something endearing about the post-future depicted in franchises like Dune or LoGH, where technology has gotten so advanced it has circled back around to beating each other to death with pointy sticks.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

sean10mm posted:

He's a character widely seen in-universe as an absolutely terrifying Master of Assassins, not just some glorified clerk at the top of a bureaucracy. LIke even the bad guys say in effect, "What the gently caress do we even do about this guy?"

The book does a lot of having other people tell us how great and scary Hawat is while having him eat poo poo when it counts though. I'd call this bad writing but uh Dune is nothing but super awesome cool dudes just eating poo poo over and over so it's really a running theme.

He's probably deadly as gently caress when it comes to kanly and warfare against enemies, but he's used to a code of honour where you have the luxury to chose to value human life because your power in unconstrained by anything but your peers and yourself. The Fremen value the lives of injured Fremen and allies, but the desert does not so they have to be brutally pragmatic. If Thufir thought like a Fremen in the context of imperial politics, he'd be considered "twisted" like de Vries

quote:

I mean, flippant shitposting in what's supposed to be at least a somewhat serious/sincere film discussion subform is going to aggravate people, yes.

I mean, flippant shitposting is fine if it's just not a mask for wanting to drop a hot take and not defend it or admit that it's just a hot take.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I was watching with some friends and none of us knew anything about Dune so we had to pause the movie for ten minutes to figure out why they didn't use guns. Sorry just kidding. No one thought about it or cared. No one was confused about why they were using knives and spears and stuff. It's sci fi. People use weird and impractical weapons all the time in sci fi.

Two of my friends who had no exposure to Dune before commented on it independently after seeing the movie, and I myself despite having read the books years ago and seen the Lynch movie thought it was kind of jarring, so it's not some random complaint. Thanks for your input though cool irreverent movie guy.

I loved the movie, but considering how prominent knife fighting is in it and how central it is to the plot at different points, it would have been useful to include just a bit more exposition on why they're used so much to make the thought processes of the characters a bit more logical. Like all it would have taken is a couple of lines in Paul's training scene with Gurney to explain that, hey, sword fighting is really important in this universe for specific reasons, and not just because it looks cool.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hodgepodge posted:

If Thufir thought like a Fremen in the context of imperial politics, he'd be considered "twisted" like de Vries

I like that way of looking at it!

The way Herbert treats the Fremen is really interesting, they're set up as noble savages who are better at war because they're hard people from a hard place, which is true to a point... but they become less and less like any kind of savages at all as the story goes along.

They aren't actually just a smattering of tribes, but a large population
They have an entire industrial and technological base that's hidden
They've been quietly buying off the spacing guild to hide what they're doing
They're pursuing an incredibly difficult and technically demanding plan that will take generations to pull off to terraform the entire loving planet

Like they have the most "civilized" goals of anyone in the known universe. Even the Atreides are like "let's be less dickish within the traditional framework of empire" while the Fremen are like "Let's make incredible sacrifices so our children's children's children can live in a real, tangible paradise world."

They follow Paul because he's a shortcut to that goal, and he ultimately kind of gives it to them, but only in the most hosed up way imaginable.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I liked this movie when I saw it, but I didn’t love it. It was ok.

Now that it’s had a few days to settle and process, I loving love it. It’s kind of amazing that it both got made in the first place and that the public seems to be ravenous for it. An insane course of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Somebody should keep a tally of the friend anecdotes so we can tell who wins