Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

apparently some people got mad at Hardware Unboxed's Steve when he was doing his new-studio tour and walked on the Gamers Nexus modmat, alleging it was some kind of deliberate disrespect to GN

Can’t believe I just scrubbed through that video to see that, even more benign than it sounds. It’s at 17:00 if anyone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's extremely funny because you can see that he realizes immediately that he should have taken his shoes off before jumping on his desk, but he's committed at that point

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think anyone was seriously mad. I don't know what Monitor Steve meant when he said that people "lost their minds" over it, but I went searching for a few minutes and couldn't find anyone who was genuinely angry. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think anyone was seriously mad. I don't know what Monitor Steve meant when he said that people "lost their minds" over it, but I went searching for a few minutes and couldn't find anyone who was genuinely angry. :shrug:

i want to see someone complain to steve burke about it for another one of those segments where burke just goes "the absolute gently caress are you complaining about, i really don't care"

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
For all of Steve Burke's incredible stringencies when it comes to tech, every time I open one of his videos the first thing I think is that it should be Gamers' Nexus or Gamer's Nexus

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gaming Nexus, obviously

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gamers Nexu's

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Big fan of GamersNexus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdLey-8HTY&t=45s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's only one of them...

Let's take it apart!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
props to them for making it, when they could just have taken a box fan and changed the frame or something

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
If they had someone take a box fan and put their frame on it, it would of been better than that thing.

Steve mentions multiple times, Corsair didn't make it, barely knows how it is supposed to work. It was some third party, and honestly the thing looks like someone at Corsair knows someone that had access to a commercial 3D printer and somehow Corsair said "Cool, go make one, that sounds cool!"

If Corsair had actual input on the thing, even for something as goofy as a wall mount, they would of caught how underpowered the motor on the thing is, and not at all suited for the thing. Steve was thinking it didn't have enough grease in it, hence why it was failing within 10 or so minutes. I'd guess it also doesn't have any cooling.

It was neat to see once they got it "working", but other than how it looked, was really poorly done.

IF Corsair were to actually make one, I think it would be amazing if they had a setup so it could replace the side panel on one of their cases, hook into iCue, speed control, whole thing. Would it be ungodly expensive? Yes. But who cares.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think you're taking big Chungus a bit too seriously

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They literally had it made for a joke video and I'm pretty sure GN only asked to test it because it would be funny. Which it was.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The GN coasters are nice. They were very genuine about everything being a balanced height, etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

These long red shoes are hard to run in, and this rainbow wig is a bit unprofessional. To say nothing of the honking red nose.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

well why not posted:

These long red shoes are hard to run in, and this rainbow wig is a bit unprofessional. To say nothing of the honking red nose.

Clowning is very serious work. :colbert:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Like, I love the idea of right to repair. I’m ignoring the Environmental impact because that ship has sailed.

Also, lol at anyone bitching about the environment who has children.

That being said, I love the idea of taking a thinkpad carbon and fixing it up to be my mad max computer. Plenty of games, media on it with extra batteries charged by solar panels when things get really bad. Honestly if I get a few year old version and spare parts that can’t be that much money right?

Honestly though, the new MacBooks will probably outlast framework. They get software updates for between 6-9 years, last another few easily with just security updates, and if you pay for Apple care it will take care of any problems for that entire duration of its life.

My parents still do their accounting on a MacBook Pro from 2002. The battery is dead but it turns on and has the accounting software they prefer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LionArcher posted:

My parents still do their accounting on a MacBook Pro from 2002. The battery is dead but it turns on and has the accounting software they prefer.

Hard to do the same on a modern MacBook with soldered storage, that’s going to give eventually, requiring a full logic board replacement. Modern MacBooks are pretty much going to last as the flash chips, logic board replacement is pretty expensive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

Honestly though, the new MacBooks will probably outlast framework. They get software updates for between 6-9 years, last another few easily with just security updates, and if you pay for Apple care it will take care of any problems for that entire duration of its life.

Windows is way better at supporting older hardware, Apple cuts off Macs OS support pretty quickly for old laptops. Also, buying an extended warranty subscription service doesn't seem attractive to me, but even then, they're going to cut off older laptops at some point.

LionArcher posted:

That being said, I love the idea of taking a thinkpad carbon and fixing it up to be my mad max computer. Plenty of games, media on it with extra batteries charged by solar panels when things get really bad. Honestly if I get a few year old version and spare parts that can’t be that much money right?

Lenovo provides service manuals for all their higher-tier laptops. My ThinkBook has one available as well, and that one certainly wasn't expensive. Already opened it up to add a second NVMe SSD.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 26, 2021

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Like, I love the idea of right to repair. I’m ignoring the Environmental impact because that ship has sailed.

Also, lol at anyone bitching about the environment who has children.

That has to be a typo/a few years off - I got my first Mac, a 12" Powerbook G4, in the year it was introduced: 2003.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

That has to be a typo/a few years off - I got my first Mac, a 12" Powerbook G4, in the year it was introduced: 2003.

You’re right. It’s a 17 inch so also 2003.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those got their last security update in 2009, lmao

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LionArcher posted:

You’re right. It’s a 17 inch so also 2003.

MacBook Pro was introduced in 2006

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably a Powerbook G4. Those were some real poo poo machines, not only was the G4 bad, they pretty much all had a warped screen cover. And the later Macbok Pro version had the self-destructing Nvidia graphics chip and the same warped chassis.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 27, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Maybe it's a P-p-p-p-powerbook?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
There were Intel 17" ones but they also had the gpus which cooked themselves to death I believe so they must be fairly rare these days.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

It's probably a Powerbook G4. Those were some real poo poo machines, not only was the G4 bad, they pretty much all had a warped screen cover. And the later Macbok Pro version had the self-destructing Nvidia graphics chip and the same warped chassis.

It is. And it’s never online or anything.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Fame Douglas posted:

Windows is way better at supporting older hardware,

:laffo:

I think you'll find the days of this being true to be numbered.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Flail Snail posted:

:laffo:

I think you'll find the days of this being true to be numbered.

Wtf are you comparing it against, Linux? Because it's definitely still true re: Apple.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Wtf are you comparing it against, Linux? Because it's definitely still true re: Apple.

That’s absolutely untrue and you’re insane.

Apple will push software updates for all devices that are physically fast enough to support the software, AND they’ll push security updates for older OS’s to support those devices that can’t.

Edit: just to add to this, businesses running their hardware on winXP cause they refuse to upgrade is not windows supporting older hardware.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 29, 2021

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm comparing it to Windows from a couple of years ago. CPUs even a generation or two old are donezo for new versions of Windows.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flail Snail posted:

I'm comparing it to Windows from a couple of years ago. CPUs even a generation or two old are donezo for new versions of Windows.

Huh? Both AMD and Intel's CPUs are supported going back 3 generations each for Windows 11. The weird gap is specifically 7th gen Intel processors, which Microsoft refused to put on the accepted architectures list despite them having everything Windows 11 needs as far as anyone can tell.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Apple will push software updates for all devices that are physically fast enough to support the software, AND they’ll push security updates for older OS’s to support those devices that can’t.

:yikes: I'm just stirring the pot to find out more, my dude.

Flail Snail posted:

My Kaby Lake X1C6 is still getting updates and I haven't heard of anyone else I know getting cut off, so as far as I was anecdotally aware everything was still on that "Windows from a couple years ago" level. That's a bummer if true (e: or maybe not, if the above is).

Edit 2: my bad, the X1C6 is Kaby Lake Refresh, which tracks with what Arivia said because it's telling me I qualify for Windows 11. Just barely made the cut!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Pfffffffffffft what the heck dude? High Sierra (release date 2018) is EOL, which means the oldest apple hardware getting updates is 2012 or later, and macbooks only from 2015.

By comparison, windows 10 works on and supports PCs from the early 2000s.

Apple EOL's old but functional hardware at a pretty aggressive pace. "Physically fast enough", pfffffffft again.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And even if your PC isn't supported by Windows 11 (and you're not willing to override), Windows 10 is still supported until October 14th, 2025.

Apple cuts off support for older macs very quickly, backwards compatibility is absolutely where Windows really shines.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 30, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Saw Linus reacting to the Facebook/Oculus news saying its good because it reduces e-waste, which got me thinking about just how much his channel talks about reducing and mitigating e-waste. It all just feels so massively hyprocritical to me, in that LTT is so much about hyping up incremental and unneccessary upgrades, encouraging a (generally younger) fanbase to embrace top spec components as and when they come out. But then he'll say under his breath that a lot of staff still have mid-range PCs, or that you should recycle your poo poo or whatever, as if that is going to have a tangible impact on his fanbase over a video of some RAM with a thumbnail of one of his staff member looking ecstatic about it. And like, even if you repurpose your old motherboard into a home server you're still driving a massively polluting industry by buying new components for absolutely no reason. I don't know - is there some other aspect to his business practices that I'm missing here? If your whole business model is hyping up prosumer tech to an enthusiast fanbase, your net contribution to the climate crisis is probably a very bad one.

edit: I mean look I love computers too and by running my superflously powerful PC I too am part of the problem!!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

It’s possible to both cater to a crowd who is interested in/uses high end or frequently upgraded components AND spread the message of e-waste.

Genuinely, using a platform like that to support conservation is actually very successful. Zoos are used as funding to support an enormous amount of animal conservation, as are the fees for hunting licenses and fishing licenses.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Sound ewaste comment

A non-insignificant part of Linus viewer base buys the new parts by selling their old pcs to friends and family, the “turn into a server” is for money bags, esp nowadays where a top end build can reach motorcycle prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd take people's commitments to e-waste more seriously if they didn't accidentally on purpose smash things to pieces