Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know a dude who uses one of those logitech mice with twelve buttons on the side. he had a massive stroke like ten years ago that left one of his arms basically unusable (the stroke crippled him so severely that his student debt was forgiven) so that mouse basically lets him play MMOs one-handed.

that said, yeah granted the vast majority of people don't need a little mini-keyboard on their mouse. but i'm glad they exist for those that do. :unsmith:

yeah if it's to deal with being crippled that's fine, I'm not going to be a shaggar about that :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

aren't most infomercial products really for disabled people but it's a touchy subject to market them directly so they make it look like the products are for anyone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

polyester concept posted:

aren't most infomercial products really for disabled people but it's a touchy subject to market them directly so they make it look like the products are for anyone
huh i never thought about it this way but i could see that. the much parodied butt wiper thing could be super useful if you can hardly stand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

polyester concept posted:

No, that's just something people say on Tumblr to show off their virtuousness when you say it's a stupid product.

The weird crap you see on infomercials is by and large designed for everyone. If it turns out that the toilet paper on a stick is really useful for people with a deformed arm, great, but that wasn't a specific design driver; someone just thought "hey maybe toilet paper on a stick will sell" and that was that. Similarly, tons of products are designed specifically for people with disabilities and they just sell them as such. Marketing to people with a disability or medical condition isn't touchy; go watch TV a 10 am on a weekday sometime.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

i’ve still got a standard two button plus wheel mouse and never really needed anything else.

jesus, I won't even buy a laptop that doesn't have three separate mouse buttons for middle click=new tab

these days I think Lenovo is the only laptop manufacturer that has this though I would love to be wrong

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hate those little trackpoint things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i simply hit command-t for a new tab

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the trackpoint thing is useful if you're trying to make small movements with the mouse cursor and the touchpad is too jerky. can really feather it with the trackpoint

used it a couple days ago when placing points in a google my maps map. it refused to zoom in enough so i ended up needing to pretty much do placement on specific pixels

but yeah it's like using a joystick as a mouse and idk why anyone would use it outside of specific situations

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the trick with the trackpoint is to put the sensitivity to max (meaning the minimum amount of pressure to move it) and the mouse speed to 1 notch below the fastest.

I legit can't use a trackpad any more, the trackpoint is so good. I even use it for intricate photoshop work.

no clue how others move their hands off the keyboard constantly to use the mouse. it drives me nuts. not to mention i never have to go across the trackpad twice to move the length of a screen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

No, that's just something people say on Tumblr to show off their virtuousness when you say it's a stupid product.

The weird crap you see on infomercials is by and large designed for everyone. If it turns out that the toilet paper on a stick is really useful for people with a deformed arm, great, but that wasn't a specific design driver; someone just thought "hey maybe toilet paper on a stick will sell" and that was that. Similarly, tons of products are designed specifically for people with disabilities and they just sell them as such. Marketing to people with a disability or medical condition isn't touchy; go watch TV a 10 am on a weekday sometime.

to expand on this, now that i'm out of class, sometimes the exact opposite is in fact true. maybe the toilet paper on a stick was specifically designed for 600 pound lardasses to be able to reach around and wipe their rear end. however, hyper-obesity -- though it is a disability -- is much more stigmatized than, say, having a congenital arm deformity, or bad arthritis. so they market it for people with arthritis but with a knowing wink that it will sell well among the morbidly obese.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

to expand on this, now that i'm out of class, sometimes the exact opposite is in fact true. maybe the toilet paper on a stick was specifically designed for 600 pound lardasses to be able to reach around and wipe their rear end. however, hyper-obesity -- though it is a disability -- is much more stigmatized than, say, having a congenital arm deformity, or bad arthritis. so they market it for people with arthritis but with a knowing wink that it will sell well among the morbidly obese.
see also: neck massagers, vcr head cleaning fluid

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
anyone remember how in 1998 we were gonna buy everything with java rings?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

oh poo poo i remember those i wanted one real bad because as a kid i was tricked into thinking java was any good by computer magazines which i was tricked into thinking was any good by cover disks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FMguru posted:

see also: neck massagers, vcr head cleaning fluid

Gonna need you to explain the vcr cleaning fluid one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Amyl nitrite is sometimes sold as a cleaning fluid for VCR and tape deck heads. I don't know how popular it was for that purpose, but a lot of people seem to like using it to relax their butthole for party purposes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 29, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i want that java ring

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i want that java ring

there are a few of them on ebay, that’s where i found the photo.

the reader seems to be harder to find

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Volmarias posted:

Gonna need you to explain the vcr cleaning fluid one

poppers, op.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

funy tech poo poo you just remembered: relax your butthole for party purposes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

funy tech poo poo you just remembered: relax your butthole for party purposes
hi i'm KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD and I approve this message

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hi i'm KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD and I approve this message

username post lol

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

username post lol

also the butterfinger blaster guy story

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
remember CD rewinders?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

remember CD rewinders?

got one as a joke gift one year cause I was the “family nerd” :geno:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
re: the Java ring… I had a fossil watch with one a Dallas Semiconductor iButton on it. pretty cool 2-factor authentication method they were trying to push for digitally signing, encrypting and verifying documents. was used for postage by a company called e-stamp back in the day.

I suppose it’s also related to the JVM that’ll run on smart cards or whatever they’re called

Neato blast from the past

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

namlosh posted:

re: the Java ring… I had a fossil watch with one a Dallas Semiconductor iButton on it. pretty cool 2-factor authentication method they were trying to push for digitally signing, encrypting and verifying documents. was used for postage by a company called e-stamp back in the day.

I suppose it’s also related to the JVM that’ll run on smart cards or whatever they’re called

Neato blast from the past

ibuttons, geez that's a blast from the past on its own. i still see them once in a while for apartment public gates or garage doors, and you'll find them embedded in the walls of hotels and office buildings for custodian/guard oversight. they pretty much got their lunch eaten by prox cards.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Midjack posted:

ibuttons, geez that's a blast from the past on its own. i still see them once in a while for apartment public gates or garage doors, and you'll find them embedded in the walls of hotels and office buildings for custodian/guard oversight. they pretty much got their lunch eaten by prox cards.

yeah my building has ibuttons epoxied to the walls along the routes for security guards, in the parking garage, etc.

this place was was built in 2014 and there are systems for sale on amazon so I guess someone is still making money off them. wonder if you could rig one of those readers to set up the java ring 🤷🏼‍♂️

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

their biggest advantage is that they're almost indestructible so low maintenance is an attractive selling point.

you can find tools that will let you read and write programmable ibuttons, one of those would probably work with the java ring.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk if I imagined this or maybe even posted it before, but when the best way of listening to 'high quality' streaming music was youtube.

I actually think though that most modern music videos released via youtube do actually have decent, if not genuinely good, audio quality.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wow everything is cyclical after all, first this guy and now The Zuck

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk if I imagined this or maybe even posted it before, but when the best way of listening to 'high quality' streaming music was youtube.

I actually think though that most modern music videos released via youtube do actually have decent, if not genuinely good, audio quality.

These days YouTube streams 160 kbps Opus which should be transparent to all but the most golden-eared individuals. As long as the original upload had decent bitrate you should get good audio.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YouTube is still the only way to get a bunch of music

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jenkem

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Whips rear end.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

YouTube is still the only way to get a bunch of music

ytdlp works on music.youtube.com pass it along

however you are wrong, soulseek is alive and pretty well

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
soulseek is great, but some stuff is just not on there

as an example, this was recently stuck in my head and i couldnt find it anywhere besides youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyK9EoKJb74

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jonny 290 posted:

ytdlp works on music.youtube.com pass it along

however you are wrong, soulseek is alive and pretty well

I remember when the hammer was coming down on Napster and me and my friends were scrambling for a new music service and soulseek was one (among like bearshare and a bunch of others). lmao that it’s still going

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let's not do this thanks

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol someone downloaded melee beats from me recently, i just noticed

why do i still have that