Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As always complaining on the internet helped, I was cutting cords left and right this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Also when you get real close the BT will disappear for a second but don't worry it will reappear after a couple seconds, and when it does the prompt will appear. They all seem to have this pattern, if you get in the right position

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

History Comes Inside! posted:

As always complaining on the internet helped, I was cutting cords left and right this evening.

its almost magical how often that works, isn't it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just got through the 100 hour ending sequence, man that was such a good game. I’m glad I somehow managed to avoid spoilers for it since it came out so long ago.

I did finish it without ever unlocking the truck though, so I guess there’s still a bunch of stuff I haven’t seen yet that I can go do in the postgame!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just got through the 100 hour ending sequence, man that was such a good game. I’m glad I somehow managed to avoid spoilers for it since it came out so long ago.

I did finish it without ever unlocking the truck though, so I guess there’s still a bunch of stuff I haven’t seen yet that I can go do in the postgame!

How did you not unlock the truck? Did you just not do any deliveries to the distribution center south of lake city? How did you do large deliveries? :psyduck:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought the truck was tied to a story mission.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You must have really tuned out during the conclusion to the Junk Dealer's series of quests (perfectly understandable tho), because afterwards Die-Hardman gives you a spiel about how you should Always Be Carrying and not leave locations without taking orders. Then he specifically mention the order the Junk Dealer just added.

I guess it is not a mandatory order but I'm guessing the devs were kinda relying on you taking it. Welp!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 29, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve been playing it in 1-2 hour chunks with sometimes only one delivery in a session, either I just didn’t pay enough attention to picking up that order when I started it back up since it wasn’t mandatory or, looking at where it is, there’s an equal chance the job at the junk dealer would have been right after I’d just had to go through the section of “it’s raining really hard and you have to go back and forth through all these BTs to take things to and from the chiral artist” multiple times, leading me to not want anything to do with anything in that little corner of the map for some time.

And I did large deliveries by putting them on floating carriers because that was all I had!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

to be fair i wish floating carriers were more useful and that's definitely a way to do it

(e) until late anyway

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I wish floating carriers could hop into vehicles. Same with the buddy bot.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

I was literally crouched with a cord running through my body and no position I got into would prompt me to cut it.

I’ll try it again tomorrow I guess. I already found a couple of BTs that are immune to my blood weapons so hopefully I can get this to work.

This one stumped me too for awhile, you need to have a certain item equipped as your weapon. I think it was that strand rope (it's been a couple months since playing it) you use to bind Mules, with that equipped you'll be able to cut their cords. Or maybe you just need to not have any weapon equipped?

Mr. Barnesworth fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 30, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

This one stumped me too for awhile, you need to have a certain item equipped as your weapon. I think it was that strand rope (it's been a couple months since playing it) you use to bind Mules, with that equipped you'll be able to cut their cords. Or maybe you just need to not have any weapon equipped?

I believe it's the latter, as I never bothered to get out the strand unless someone actually needed hogtyin' and I never had a problem cutting cords. getting that is a massive relief every time i play

(e) i know you can bola a BT but can you hogtie one

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
So they've shunted the traversal aside for memes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I’m glad I somehow managed to avoid spoilers for it since it came out so long ago.

It's too long, too convoluted, and too Kojima to spoil

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Alright, so I finished reading the two Death Stranding novels.

I... enjoyed it! It's mostly just a straight retelling of the game's story, with a few changes here and there to make it fit better for a novelisation. What's really cool about it though is that it features a lot of Sam's and other character's internal thoughts, which in the game aren't portrayed at all, or you're meant to somehow gleam from their acting in the cutscenes alone. You also get a far better idea of the passage of time, as some of the journeys that take you maybe 20 minutes on foot in-game are supposed to take Sam days if not weeks. There's also some information that I think is not in the game at all, or buried in log entries somewhere, as I didn't remember hearing or seeing it before. Could be wrong about that, though, my memory ain't that great.

I don't think I could recommend it as a book in its own right without having played the game, but it works well enough as supplementary material.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 30, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ciaphas posted:

I believe it's the latter, as I never bothered to get out the strand unless someone actually needed hogtyin' and I never had a problem cutting cords. getting that is a massive relief every time i play

(e) i know you can bola a BT but can you hogtie one

You can cut cords with a weapon equipped, bola then choppy choppy is a great lazy way of clearing out BTs

Really though you just need to bumble around crouched and holding your breath till the option pops up, theres no real trick to it

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
Hell, you don't even need to hold your breath 99% of the time. Once your scanner starts pinging quickly just crouch walk slowly towards them and you'll get the prompt before the BT notices you

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

chopping BT cords makes them even more of a joke than they already were

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I now have the truck and lol it makes everything child’s play in comparison to how I finished the game. I’m working on my LoLoL premium deliveries and wrapping up connections, once I get the 4x20 LoL trophy is there a benefit to keeping it up on hard/very hard to get more likes and do the connections faster or is the growth rate just tied to the volume of cargo?

As for my finishing the game without the truck, other than whatever caused me to ignore the order for it, I think it didn’t help that when you pick up a heavy order the prompt says you might want to use a vehicle or a floating carrier. I figured this is clearly why floating carriers existed and the vehicle (truck) would come later, and I didn’t want to look up how I get the truck because I was avoiding spoilers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No, there's no benefit in keeping the difficulty high unless you just want the combat challenge.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I now have the truck and lol it makes everything child’s play in comparison to how I finished the game. I’m working on my LoLoL premium deliveries and wrapping up connections, once I get the 4x20 LoL trophy is there a benefit to keeping it up on hard/very hard to get more likes and do the connections faster or is the growth rate just tied to the volume of cargo?

I don't remember if the impact for connections is improved by difficulty, but keep in mind that for certain preppers (first prepper, veteran porter, etc) you need to make a single delivery, rest, read the e-mail they send you, repeat. Otherwise the amount of stars will never progress.

To max out "delivery time" for your porter grade you'll need to do the deliveries that are marked as "time-sensitive" or "urgent".

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Midjack posted:

No, there's no benefit in keeping the difficulty high unless you just want the combat challenge.

You can only get the Legends of Legends and Legends of Legends of Legends delivery ranks on Hard/Very Hard so it's worth keeping the difficulty high when you finish the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cowman posted:

You can only get the Legends of Legends and Legends of Legends of Legends delivery ranks on Hard/Very Hard so it's worth keeping the difficulty high when you finish the game.

Yeah I’d asked if it was worth it keeping the difficulty up once I got the related trophies, on the pretence that higher rankings might mean faster path to 5* but that’s apparently not the case, so it was the answer I wanted.

I’ve just softlocked the game by getting dragged out of my truck by a BT and then away endlessly into a rock in the mountains on my way to the big BT fight, so I had to dump back to the console menu and close it. I hope that’s not a regular bug I’m going to hit because travelling around the snow is a pain as it is.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I’d asked if it was worth it keeping the difficulty up once I got the related trophies, on the pretence that higher rankings might mean faster path to 5* but that’s apparently not the case, so it was the answer I wanted.

I’ve just softlocked the game by getting dragged out of my truck by a BT and then away endlessly into a rock in the mountains on my way to the big BT fight, so I had to dump back to the console menu and close it. I hope that’s not a regular bug I’m going to hit because travelling around the snow is a pain as it is.

Take as many packages to the Roboticist as you can and try to get her star level up. The level 3 skeleton she gives you makes running around the mountains much easier.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just got her to 5 so I’ll grab that now. I’ve got 13 or so places maxed out, the game is being real stingy about handing out the time sensitive and miscellaneous jobs though so I’ve done about 100 premium deliveries and have yet to crack the trophies.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat it people get rid of ur garbage outside of South Knot City.

Also I maxed out all the preppers from Lake Knot to South Knot. Now off to the mountians.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i'm still playing this game. on my second playthrough, which is much more enjoyable than the first because i was rushing through the story. it's much more fun to build a sustainable delivery network of roads, ziplines, etc. getting all the materials for roads in between deliveries was meditative, and also made me think about the game differently because i wanted to carry massive amounts of heavy materials long ways across the map.

now i just wish i had the DC (i'm on PC) so i could build the mountain road..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I platinumed yesterday and I'd basically done everything before heading into the ending sequence

It does rather ruin the impact of the 'huge' trek home when you can be there in 5 minutes on your comprehensive network of zip lines

'Die hardman here, this may be your toughest journey yet Sam'
:hmmno:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

i'm still playing this game. on my second playthrough, which is much more enjoyable than the first because i was rushing through the story. it's much more fun to build a sustainable delivery network of roads, ziplines, etc. getting all the materials for roads in between deliveries was meditative, and also made me think about the game differently because i wanted to carry massive amounts of heavy materials long ways across the map.

now i just wish i had the DC (i'm on PC) so i could build the mountain road..

I really wish there was a more compelling reason to travel on foot. Those systems are so great but now that I'm working towards the platinum I spend most of my time trying to improve the layout of my ziplines and cursing people who put theirs 5 meters from where I need them to be! Although that does involve a lot of travel on foot.

I guess I did build the entire mountain road segment yesterday and that was pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing what deliveries I can manage with that!

A highlight was using someone's cargo catapult to launch a bunch of ceramics and metal from the doctor to mountain knot. That was fun and actually way more convenient than the other options I had at the time.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

It's too long, too convoluted, and too Kojima to spoil

Well said, but I'll be using spoiler tags here, haha. I actually finished the story over the weekend. Was a bit frustrating, as I couldn't figure out that you needed to hug Amelie on the beach. I had to google that, and I hate having to do that for story content in games. Overall though, had a great time. I do have a couple questions; the first one isn't really a spoiler, but I'll be extra careful.

Can you unlock the Chvrches song in-game? The one from the final credits.
Since Sam is actually Cliff's BB, who is Lou? Just a random BB?

Finally, how do folks make use of the Buddy Bot? It can't follow you when you're using vehicles or zip-lines, so I'm having a hard time seeing its utility.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 15, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think a lot of people who played past MGS games immediately went for a cqc hug.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I don't mind saying it took me quite a few tries to figure that out.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be my first Platinum trophy. I've done all the grindy bits, got growth of a legend and all the memory cards. Now I just have to build a few things and then I think the last one will be the one you get for resting to heal. I feel like I need to pick a good place for it though, since it can be done anywhere, and it will probably take a picture or clip when I finally get the plat!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm hauling a ton of poo poo into the mountains so I can build roads into the mountains so I can haul a ton of poo poo into the mountains. Game is certainly strange as hell but pretty fun.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Capn Jobe posted:

Well said, but I'll be using spoiler tags here, haha. I actually finished the story over the weekend. Was a bit frustrating, as I couldn't figure out that you needed to hug Amelie on the beach. I had to google that, and I hate having to do that for story content in games. Overall though, had a great time. I do have a couple questions; the first one isn't really a spoiler, but I'll be extra careful.

Can you unlock the Chvrches song in-game? The one from the final credits.
Since Sam is actually Cliff's BB, who is Lou? Just a random BB?

Finally, how do folks make use of the Buddy Bot? It can't follow you when you're using vehicles or zip-lines, so I'm having a hard time seeing its utility.

Second question- Yeah, random BB as far as I know.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bought it on PC for $13, after having already beat it on PS4 a few years ago.

Just noticed that BB flips off Deadman the first time he gets handed to him, angrily by Sam.

All of these tiny easy to miss touches :swoon:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Was just rewatching DUNC on the big screen now that it's finally reached NZ theatres, and seeing Paul and Jessica sliding down a sandy slope, realised how badly I need Hideo Kojima's Dune in the Death Stranding engine

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

Was just rewatching DUNC on the big screen now that it's finally reached NZ theatres, and seeing Paul and Jessica sliding down a sandy slope, realised how badly I need Hideo Kojima's Dune in the Death Stranding engine

As much as I love Iceland America, DS in a sandy desert environment would be cool

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wafflecopper posted:

drat it's the kind of poo poo kojima would be real good at, it's like a mgs boss backstory

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Was there always a second set of auto-pavers east of Mountain Knot City, or are they new to the Director's Cut? If this highway I'm building links up with the road south from Lake Knot, it will suddenly not be a huge pain in the rear end to cross the Rockies, which was my biggest complaint about the map on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Was there always a second set of auto-pavers east of Mountain Knot City, or are they new to the Director's Cut? If this highway I'm building links up with the road south from Lake Knot, it will suddenly not be a huge pain in the rear end to cross the Rockies, which was my biggest complaint about the map on PS4.

It's new.