Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
There's all the Battlestar Galactica stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm. Does Logan's Run have other planets or reference Earth? Been a while since I watched it.

Not that I recall.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise is about the birth of space travel on an alien though Earth-like planet.

I guess Spaceballs and Starcrash count. I don't think Galaxy of Terror mentions Earth.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 25, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm. Does Logan's Run have other planets or reference Earth? Been a while since I watched it.

Logan’s Run takes place on Earth. It ends up in the ruins of Washington DC, if I remember correctly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah geez, of course. Looks like TV Tropes has a page on this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

But it looks like Zardoz might count! My memories of the movie are vague, but Wikipedia lists the year as 2293 which to me implies that it's Earth in the future.

Without spoiling the film... Zardoz makes references to specific things on Earth.

feedmyleg posted:

Ah geez, of course. Looks like TV Tropes has a page on this.

I had thought Galaxy of Terror might be one but I wasn't positive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is the list I ended up with. Since TV Tropes's content is user-generated I'm sure there's a bunch out there that haven't been caught yet. Might toss more on this over time.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just saw Deep Cover, which I had never heard of before it was recommended in this forum. Massively underrated movie about an undercover cop who becomes a drug dealer, and begins to hint at the geopolitics of the drug trade and the CIA's hand in it. Any other recommendations in this vein, especially that deal explicitly with the CIA and drugs?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just saw Deep Cover, which I had never heard of before it was recommended in this forum. Massively underrated movie about an undercover cop who becomes a drug dealer, and begins to hint at the geopolitics of the drug trade and the CIA's hand in it. Any other recommendations in this vein, especially that deal explicitly with the CIA and drugs?

The 4 part documentary series The Last Narc on Prime

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Star Wars, what other proper space fantasy movies or TV shows are there? Which I would define as movies where Earth or human beings from Earth are not involved at all, yet there are multiple planets and/or methods to get to and from those planets.

Krull comes to mind. Maaaybe Dark Crystal/Resistance. ThunderCats doesn't technically count but may as well. And the Discworld adaptations, I suppose. And, uh, maybe the Sonic cartoon where he has a robot uncle? But even most of those all take place on a single planet. Everything else I can think of seems to be set far into humanity's future, or involve an Earthling finding themselves on another world or stuck in deep space.

Phil ippett's Mad God

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

Fantastic Planet has astronauts from Earth, I believe.

You're thinking of Forbidden Planet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m looking for under-appreciated or less known 70s movies, any genre really. Foreign is good too. Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

I’m mostly determined to escape the Disney apocalypse but also these movies are really loving good and I like them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for under-appreciated or less known 70s movies, any genre really. Foreign is good too. Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

I’m mostly determined to escape the Disney apocalypse but also these movies are really loving good and I like them.

The Castle of Cagliostro, maybe not too under-appreciated, but I gotta mention it, one of my favs.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Dario Argento rules in general. 20k votes on imdb, so even though influential and remembered, could use more eyes on it.

Rock 'n' Roll High School, this movie rules and only has 9.7k on imdb, we gotta raise these numbers.

Wizards (1977)

Sleuth (1972)

And I'll name a few classics that may be known, but about as much as China Syndrome which has 29k on imdb:

The Long Goodbye

And Justice for All

The Last Detail

Altered States

Somebody asked for movies under 15k votes on reddit recently oddly enough, so I had my math game on. It seems really old anime movies are usually under 2k votes, stuff like the Gundam movie trilogy, which rules, if you wanna go wild. Mobile Suit Gundam I (1981) is a fine gateway. It's pretty intense horrors of war stuff, done with an epic scale and sense of scope to rival Star Wars.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure what counts as "under-appreciated" or "less known" but here are some good movies:

All That Jazz, F for Fake, 3 Women, The Conformist, The Long Goodbye, Mikey and Nicky, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, The Last Waltz, Solaris, Iphigenia, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Brewster McCloud, Cría cuervos, The Heartbreak Kid, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Blue Collar, California Split, Le Cercle rouge, The Day of the Locust, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A New Leaf, Night Moves, The Spook Who Sat by the Door, The American Friend, The American Soldier, Carnal Knowledge, Charley Varrick, Death on the Nile, Don't Look Now, Mujo (This Transient Life), The Offence, Real Life, The Day of the Jackal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

The Castle of Cagliostro, maybe not too under-appreciated, but I gotta mention it, one of my favs.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Dario Argento rules in general. 20k votes on imdb, so even though influential and remembered, could use more eyes on it.

Rock 'n' Roll High School, this movie rules and only has 9.7k on imdb, we gotta raise these numbers.

Wizards (1977)

Sleuth (1972)

And I'll name a few classics that may be known, but about as much as China Syndrome which has 29k on imdb:

The Long Goodbye

And Justice for All

The Last Detail

Altered States

Somebody asked for movies under 15k votes on reddit recently oddly enough, so I had my math game on. It seems really old anime movies are usually under 2k votes, stuff like the Gundam movie trilogy, which rules, if you wanna go wild. Mobile Suit Gundam I (1981) is a fine gateway. It's pretty intense horrors of war stuff, done with an epic scale and sense of scope to rival Star Wars.

Thanks for this, I’ll add these to the list and that’ll keep me busy for a couple months!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Underappreciated 70's films?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

-Get Carter (1971)
-The Long Good Friday
-Cutter's Way

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

King Hu's post A Touch of Zen 70s films are all great and underseen. The Fate of Lee Khan, Legend of the Mountain, Raining in the Mountain. Those three have also gotten good quality recent restorations. If you're into girl gang exploitation movies I liked Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom quite a bit, and there's The Transgressor/School of the Holy Beast on the nunsploitation side of things.

Heavy Metal posted:

This movie does indeed rule

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

In addition to the many great choices listed, Sorcerer is a must-see.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cocorico Monsieur Poulet
Seeking Asylum
Jana Aranya
Company Limited
Pratidwandi
Sonar Kella
Claudine
Ballad of Orin
Welfare
Pakeezah
The Spider's Strategem

Slightly better known:
Un homme qui dort
We All Loved Each Other So Much
The Black Stallion
Images
La Grande bouffe
Lucifer Rising
Out 1, noli me tangere
Edvard Munch
A New Leaf
Camera Buff
Donkey Skin

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Got a couple types of movies on the brain that I'd like to see more of.

1. Movies with a big "what the gently caress" moment, but I specifically mean where something really weird happens and then the movie pauses and takes a moment to highlight a character saying "what the gently caress?" in the most shocked or confused voice possible. Bonus points if it's the last line of the movie like The Guest or Swiss Army Man.

2. "Kitchen-sink" type horror movies where they include a whole bunch of different possible explanations for a mystery to try and keep you/the characters guessing or just to parody/shout out the genre, like Resolution, Housebound, and Malignant.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good documentaries on NASCAR?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

In addition to the many great choices listed, Sorcerer is a must-see.

Love Sorcerer, thanks!

The other night we watched Sleuth and it was so good, looking forward to plugging away at the rest of the list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Last Hurrah For Chivalry
Driller Killer
Tourist Trap
Someone's Watching Me
Magic
The Eyes of Laura Mars
Long Weekend
The Fury
Petey Wheatstraw
Desperate Living
Klute
Martin
Alice Sweet Alice
God Told Me To
Who Can Kill A Child
The Tenant
Barry Lyndon
The Last Detail
Yakuza (1974)
The Last Detail
Shivers
The Devils
The Switchblade Sisters
Mr. Majestyk
Deathdream
The Legend of Hell House
Coffy
Paper Moon
Images
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo
Blood On Satan's Claw
Wanda
Theater of Blood
Black Belt Jones
Let's Scare Jessica To Death

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
No idea why this became a double post.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The 70s, man. Best movie decade and it's not particularly close.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Really surprised Harry in your Pocket isn't on there.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Certified Copy. I'd rather not say too much but if you like Before Sunrise / Sunset / Midnight or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I think you'll really really like it.

It's from a while back, but this recommendation caught my eye. Huge fan of the Before trilogy so I'd kept it in mind until now. I just finished the movie and loved everything about it, so thank you! Just amazingly well shot and framed in every scene and interesting the entire time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

The 70s, man. Best movie decade and it's not particularly close.

I think disco is used to torpedo the 70s in general. In a lot of ways I think it might be the peak of Western culture.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Toast King posted:

It's from a while back, but this recommendation caught my eye. Huge fan of the Before trilogy so I'd kept it in mind until now. I just finished the movie and loved everything about it, so thank you! Just amazingly well shot and framed in every scene and interesting the entire time.

Very happy to hear that! Thanks for updating with your experience 🙂

tuyop posted:

I think disco is used to torpedo the 70s in general. In a lot of ways I think it might be the peak of Western culture.

Disco catches too much flak. I legitimately believe Dancing Queen to be the best pop song of the last 50 years.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think "Disco" is also poorly defined. I think for a lot of boomers then and even now if they remember it, it meant "libs doing gay stuff and drugs". There's probably people who like songs from that time that might be categorized as "Disco" but still think they hate "Disco"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
when trumpets fade

available on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4YVSv6d5w

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 19, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

Band of Brothers is a miniseries but its the GOAT

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gripweed posted:

Come and See, by quite some distance, for me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Band of Brothers is a miniseries but its the GOAT

Literally the two conditions I laid out were "World War 2" and "movie"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

But have you considered Ken Burns' Vietnam?

I don't know where you land on the "serious" scale in this request, but also "Top Secret!"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Forgive me for the grave sin of suggesting something you might enjoy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

There are no anti-war movies.

However, you’ve probably seen them but I liked:

Das boot
Grave of the fireflies
The thin red line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Thin Red Line would be my recommendation. It's kind of love it or hate it, it is very Terrance Malick-y. Anyone who liked Tree of Life should like it.