Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

grellgraxer posted:

Went to Costco a couple of days ago and among other items, bought the 1 trillion pound box of wild chanterelle mushrooms. I have never prepared this mushroom before, any suggestions?

Any of your favorite mushroom applications, including:
- frittatas/omelets
- Sliced and sauteed with butter/salt/pepper/thyme, eat as a side dish or just serve it up on toast
- Chanterelle soup
- Chanterelle risotto
- Some kind of creamy mushroom pasta situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Grind them up and snort them

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Buy more mushrooms, make duxelles, freeze

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Chanterelles have a high water content. I'd recommend dry sauteing first and draining the liquid before adding whatever butter or oil you're gonna cook em in. You can save the liquid to use in other stuff like rice or quinoa, it should be pretty fragrant. Though I've only cooked ones I've foraged myself so ymmv.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Those mini Naans are awesome, can’t recall if it was someone here who mentioned them but I got a bag and some hummus and I am set for snacking.

Anyone ever try freezing those? Or freezing the gigantic muffins?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

priznat posted:

Those mini Naans are awesome, can’t recall if it was someone here who mentioned them but I got a bag and some hummus and I am set for snacking.

If it’s the stone fire brand, they freeze really well. We buy a big bag about once a month and use them for when we make Indian food now and then.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ManifunkDestiny posted:

If it’s the stone fire brand, they freeze really well. We buy a big bag about once a month and use them for when we make Indian food now and then.

Not sure of the brand but it comes in a big orange bag with 2 smaller sealed bags inside. They’re very tasty.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

The muffins freeze flawlessly

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Renegret posted:

The muffins freeze flawlessly

Do you put ‘em in a plastic bag and squeeze out the air or a plastic container?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Any true churchgoing person should have a food saver to portion and preserve their hauls

I’ve vacuum sealed muffins before and they stay good for quite a while.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

Do you put ‘em in a plastic bag and squeeze out the air or a plastic container?

I put 4 to a gallon ziplock.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I impulse bought the 14lb jamon leg. How should I eat all this ham, aside from on bread or crackers?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

teardrop posted:

I impulse bought the 14lb jamon leg. How should I eat all this ham, aside from on bread or crackers?

Wait, are you eating it by yourself?

Buy some manchego at costco to go with it

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

teardrop posted:

Slice it as thinly as you can and eat it however you like, even plain with a drizzle of good olive oil like a Spaniard would. Thin slices are key, though, I cannot stress this enough. It's not like a spiral cut ham or a breakfast ham steak. Paper thin.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its also Halloween, may as well give some to the trick or treaters

I sliced a bunch and put it into plastic bags, using parchment paper to separate the slices. Gave it to all my friends. Its a lot of ham.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Slice it as thinly as you can and eat it however you like, even plain with a drizzle of good olive oil like a Spaniard would. Thin slices are key, though, I cannot stress this enough. It's not like a spiral cut ham or a breakfast ham steak. Paper thin.

It’s amazing how aged hams are like this.

Thin slice: wow this amazing and savory and decadent

Thick slice: this tastes like old rotten meat

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Sherpa update: the beagle has escalated.

It’s her new best friend. She got visibly upset when I moved it from where she was sleeping on the bed onto the couch. Plus, the beagle:blanket ratio is out of this world.

I also wanted to plug this Chefman kettle we got! We bought it on the second to last day of the sale, but it’s very reasonably priced even without the discount.

Great size, heats quickly, plus it has a digital display with preset temps for every type of tea (and the display shows the water temperature going up!). The metal cylinder next to it is a built-in tea infuser, so you can brew directly in the kettle, and it even has timers for the steep time and a keep warm function. I’m blown away by the quality, honestly.

E: and the base lights up all cool too! Red for heating, green for heated, and light blue for holding temp

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 30, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Today I found out that I've taken my four-year-old to Costco on Saturdays so many times that she has a favorite receipt checker. While I was parking, she told me about how she always saw an old man named Jose and I figured it was just incoherent child storytelling, then lo and behold our receipt got inspected by a man named Jose who's been working at Costco since the 90s.

He drew a whale for her :3:

Bibliotechno Music posted:

It’s her new best friend. She got visibly upset when I moved it from where she was sleeping on the bed onto the couch. Plus, the beagle:blanket ratio is out of this world.

As a fellow beagle-haver, you brought this upon yourself.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

so jelly. it’s fall here and there’s nothing i want more than to cuddle with a small/medium dog under a sherpa blanket on an xxl costco dog bed. my cats are cool, but idk, cuddling with dogs just hits different.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I am begging people. Please do not buy the "bourbon coffee"!!! I thought hey, I like bourbon, and I like coffee, this might be a nice change of pace.

It is the most rank foul coffee imaginable. I am going to grind and compost the rest of these beans because they are super super lovely.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It seems like just pouring some bourbon in your coffee is a much better way to combine those things if the need arises

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am begging people. Please do not buy the "bourbon coffee"!!! I thought hey, I like bourbon, and I like coffee, this might be a nice change of pace.

It is the most rank foul coffee imaginable. I am going to grind and compost the rest of these beans because they are super super lovely.
Might as well compost it cause it already smells exactly like burning compost. It tastes like compost that got sprayed with bourbon perfume. I tried brewing it three different ways and not one of them tasted good. The french press brew could turn the Pope away from God.

It's well reviewed online too. I wonder if there's issues per batch or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

The french press brew could turn the Pope away from God.

lmfao i just snorted my coffee all over my table, thank you for this

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I didn't mind it when I bought it last year. I wouldn't buy it again, but i liked it enough that I used it all rather than throwing it out. But yeah, you're better off just putting bourbon in your coffee.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

We are legitimately buying a third sherpa just for the cats. I can't sleep with the sherpa and not have the cats try to kick me off the couch to claim it. Happens every time!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Would it be better to return it? Because if it is super trash and a bunch of people bring it back they would talk to the manufacturer and or just stop carrying it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I’ve gotten two different kinds of granola at the ‘co and they were both really fuckin’ good.

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

teardrop posted:

For what it's worth, it freezes very well, at least in foodsaver bags.

I cut up and froze about half of mine from last year, some as thin slices, some as bigger slabs.

The slabs are a good thing to cut up to add into a dish (e.g. adding some diced up as a protein in a curry or cutting some up to toss with some roasted brussels sprouts).

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Seconding the "return it" advice.

Costco would prefer people return poor products so they can stop selling them, that's the actual stated reason for their generous returns policy after all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stop buying so many loving pies, I'm tired of making them

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
After almost a year my Costco had Classico tomato basil pasta sauce again. I have been saved from the never-ending Prego nightmare.

Picked up a pot pie and Caesar salad. It's like my third week in a row grabbing one of those huge salads, but they're so drat good.

Ate a hotdog.

A good Halloween Costco experience.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is 100% my exact though process when I my wife and I bought it and the reason we returned it. I've never had coffee that bad in my life and learned a lesson about combining things I love

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gaius Marius posted:

Stop buying so many loving pies, I'm tired of making them

I'm sorry, I just bought four. :( I promise that's the last until January!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mormon Nailer posted:

I promise that's the last until January!

i don't :getin:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Picked up a pot pie and Caesar salad. It's like my third week in a row grabbing one of those huge salads, but they're so drat good.

A rotisserie chicken and a caesar salad is like 3-4 meals for my wife and I for less than $15. Hard to beat.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Propaganda Hour posted:

After almost a year my Costco had Classico tomato basil pasta sauce again. I have been saved from the never-ending Prego nightmare.

Ate a hotdog.

A good Halloween Costco experience.

Does your store not have Rao's? It's 1000x better than Prego and 998x better than Classico.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

fordham posted:

Does your store not have Rao's? It's 1000x better than Prego and 998x better than Classico.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Cockblocktopus posted:

A rotisserie chicken and a caesar salad is like 3-4 meals for my wife and I for less than $15. Hard to beat.

I have no idea why I dont do this. Added to the list.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BaseballPCHiker posted:

lmao do not grind them because the next 20lbs of coffee you grind will then taste like that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

fordham posted:

If they don’t have Rao’s, Victoria is also a solid upgrade.

The costco frozen meatballs, a jar of good sauce, and some pasta is one of my favorite low effort always-in-the-pantry meals. :yum: