Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Randalor posted:

Honest question: is Brian's Dune stuff actually that bad, or is it just glorified fanfiction that ignores stuff from the original novels, but is at least readable?

There is a scene involving tleilaxu farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So it's Har-ke-nen, not Har-ko-nen, and Benny Gesserit and not Bean Gesserit?

It was wise not to have the Baron as a depraved homosexual. There's no need to have shorthand for villainy with a character who is already a villain.

I find it hard to believe Jessica could have a kid after this experience. All that stress and the 'thopter crash would have turned the foetus into a fine paste.

Since Paul makes Arrakis his home then he'd better brown like a motherfucker by the next movie.

The only redundant part is the glimpse of Chani over and over again.

It's good to have CGI that evokes all the cool poo poo you'd see on a book-cover or concept-art. Shang-Chi was so loving wretched by the end that it sapped my will to enjoy anything by comparison.

We didn't see any worms cough up any spice yet.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How were the Harkonnens going to cover up the fact that the Emperor orchestrated the whole thing to eliminate the Atreides? There were Sardukar on Arrakis.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Yeah? Prove it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kurzon posted:

How were the Harkonnens going to cover up the fact that the Emperor orchestrated the whole thing to eliminate the Atreides? There were Sardukar on Arrakis.

In the book, they're Sardaukar in Harkonnen uniform. In the film I guess it's just leave no survivors and then if there's any rumours just claim FAKE NEWS

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the movie they say that there are no satellites orbiting arakis so no one could prove imperial involvement.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah there are no satellites and after the fighting in the city dies down there is a very gratuitous carpet bombing of the city that I think we all took as an indication that everyone is getting murdered.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So it's Har-ke-nen, not Har-ko-nen, and Benny Gesserit and not Bean Gesserit?

It was wise not to have the Baron as a depraved homosexual. There's no need to have shorthand for villainy with a character who is already a villain.

I find it hard to believe Jessica could have a kid after this experience. All that stress and the 'thopter crash would have turned the foetus into a fine paste.

Since Paul makes Arrakis his home then he'd better brown like a motherfucker by the next movie.

The only redundant part is the glimpse of Chani over and over again.

Bene I always pronounced as Benny because it is Arabic for “sons of” (and I’m guessing Hebrew too?) and I assumed it was one of many Arabic words

My wife’s complaint about chani was she actually looks like a popular actress in a movie where the casting seemed very good otherwise. Especially with how good the fremen are otherwise (I’m still mad at Stilgar being pasty waterfat drunk uncle in the miniseries, Bardem is the stilgar I always pictured)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There is a scene involving tleilaxu farts.

frank's notes were extensive, you ses.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

For what it’s worth I have always pictured chani as

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Her eyes aren't even blue, epic fail

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bene I always pronounced as Benny because it is Arabic for “sons of” (and I’m guessing Hebrew too?) and I assumed it was one of many Arabic words

My wife’s complaint about chani was she actually looks like a popular actress in a movie where the casting seemed very good otherwise. Especially with how good the fremen are otherwise (I’m still mad at Stilgar being pasty waterfat drunk uncle in the miniseries, Bardem is the stilgar I always pictured)

"Bene" also being Latin for "good/well", as in N.B. "Nota Bene".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Hebrew translation turned the Bene Gesserit into "Bnot Hagishrit", which translates to "Daughters of the bridge" (or maybe Daughters of the Link), the translator kind of went overboard with some linguistic similarities and made some explicit connections where Herbert only had some implicit ones. Kwizats Haderach is translated as Kfizat Haderech, which is actually a Jewish idiom meaning someone who can skip over a portion of the road/way, generally in a spiritual or an intellectual metaphorical sense, which is probably where Herbert took the phrase from and also why hebrew speakers tend to see the Bene Gesserit as being connected to Jewish Mysticism.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just actually say that she was asking for it.

Is that a thing you just typed with your human hands.

It is very silly to try and shame someone for accurately describing a terrible scene in a terrible book, on the grounds that its terrible.

Focus on the terrible authors.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

We didn't see any worms cough up any spice yet.
The worms themselves don't make the spice, it's the poop of their larvae.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
https://screenrant.com/denis-villen...Al7-N_gUI11o-xk

when you are terminally marvelbrained

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Re-watched a couple of scenes and while I really like the movie and sound design, I think the soundtrack is pretty overdone in parts. It feels like the dramatic wails happen for everything, like it's trying to get you invested in something you already are.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I read elsewhere that a lot of these clickbait sites will come up with the article concept and then dish them out to the writers. Which makes a lot of sense to me,because dear God nobody could *want* to write something so staggeringly inane.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The Hebrew translation turned the Bene Gesserit into "Bnot Hagishrit", which translates to "Daughters of the bridge" (or maybe Daughters of the Link), the translator kind of went overboard with some linguistic similarities and made some explicit connections where Herbert only had some implicit ones. Kwizats Haderach is translated as Kfizat Haderech, which is actually a Jewish idiom meaning someone who can skip over a portion of the road/way, generally in a spiritual or an intellectual metaphorical sense, which is probably where Herbert took the phrase from and also why hebrew speakers tend to see the Bene Gesserit as being connected to Jewish Mysticism.

That makes a load of sense actually. I think they may have even made an actual textual link between Judaism and Bene Gesserit “ripping them off” but I can’t remember if that was in the dune books we shall not name. Looks like Frank himself talked a bit about it but maybe not in the books themselves

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Judaism

I know Arabic tribes being “bene XXX” was almost always seen as something from either hebrew or another Semitic language they shared but being a 14 year old Arab Muslim reading dune (in English) in the Middle East at the time I definitely picked up on the Arabic/Islamic stuff the quickest

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also stuff like the spice trances make the fremen seem a lot more Sufi than anything else so I think Herbert just loved when Abrahamic religions got weird

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Frank Herbert was interested in all religions, not just the Abrahamaic ones - the Fremen are descended from the Zensunni Wanderers, and Frank was a friend of Alan Watts, who might've been responsible for Franks convertion to Zen Buddhism.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

There was a lot of ambient fascination with Sufi mysticism at the time in the West as well, which likely influenced Herbert. Nowadays that's completely absent now, but the the Zen Buddhism stuff remains around.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That makes a load of sense actually. I think they may have even made an actual textual link between Judaism and Bene Gesserit “ripping them off” but I can’t remember if that was in the dune books we shall not name. Looks like Frank himself talked a bit about it but maybe not in the books themselves

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Judaism

I know Arabic tribes being “bene XXX” was almost always seen as something from either hebrew or another Semitic language they shared but being a 14 year old Arab Muslim reading dune (in English) in the Middle East at the time I definitely picked up on the Arabic/Islamic stuff the quickest

Its in one of Frank's books, specifically Chapterhouse. In the future the Jews have morphed into a secret society as a defense against pogroms (specifically calling it 'Secret Israel'). The Bene Gesserit knew about this and combined several traditions of this order with the Jesuit tradition to shape their own order. They are tenuous allies with these secret Jewish sects and have a 'quid pro quo' relationship with them. In the book this means the Jews sheltering the Bene Gesserit sisters from the Honored Matres, and the purge of the Bene Gesserit by the Honored Matres is identified as a pogrom by the Jews

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No lasguns in combat. Just in pre-combat raves.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Failed Imagineer posted:

In the book, they're Sardaukar in Harkonnen uniform. In the film I guess it's just leave no survivors and then if there's any rumours just claim FAKE NEWS
Eh, I've put up with worse. The Force Awakens would have us believe the First Order could build a planet-sized superweapon without the Resistance ever knowing about it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The Dune miniseries that came out in 2000 will be shorter than these two movies.

even the 4.9 hour directors cut. That's crazy!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Shouldn't those stillsuits be colored white instead of black so as not to absorb sunlight? In the Dune miniseries, they had a light color.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kurzon posted:

Shouldn't those stillsuits be colored white instead of black so as not to absorb sunlight? In the Dune miniseries, they had a light color.

Well they mostly move around at night, and they have wraps and stuff over their stillsuits, so it's whatever. Guess they prioritize ninja stealth over daytime temp

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kurzon posted:

They move around at night and black objects also dissipate heat faster than lighter colored ones :science:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The book describes one as "pale glistening gray", but doesn't go into much detail otherwise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kurzon posted:

When you're wearing a loose robe the color doesn't matter. Air is such a poor heat conductor that the robe's color is irrelevant as long as there's air between the outer and inner garment. As long as it's out of direct solar radiation the color of the inner garment also doesn't matter.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

So it's Har-ke-nen, not Har-ko-nen

Herbert used the phone book to find the name. He based it on the Finnish name Härkönen. The pronunciation in the film is much closer to the original Finnish.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Herbert used the phone book to find the name.
Where did you learn this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tirranek posted:

Re-watched a couple of scenes and while I really like the movie and sound design, I think the soundtrack is pretty overdone in parts. It feels like the dramatic wails happen for everything, like it's trying to get you invested in something you already are.

That’s generally the sign of the score being tampered with to fit what was made in the editing room...

I could be wrong, but the score felt abridged, like the plot of the film.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Book question, I'm reading Children right now but it's been a while since I read Dune/Messiah so I'm hazy on a few background details: What exactly was/is the Bene Gesserits' plan for Jessica's child and the Atreides bloodline? They wanted Jessica to have a daughter so they could wed her to a Harkonnen male (I guess Feyd?) and merge the two families, but to what end? If it was about merging the bloodlines, then isn't that already achieved in Paul anyway regardless of his sex or eventual partner since Jessica is the Baron's daughter? If it was because they thought that would bring about the Kwisatz Haderach, why was it so important for that to happen a generation later than it did? Plus they're apparently still after those Atreides/Harkonnen genes even after Paul, with all the talk in Children about how they might want Leto II and Ghanima to breed. Was Paul just not incesty/Harkonneny enough for them for whatever reason?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
XX chromosomes can carry more information than XY. Maybe that's it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Forktoss posted:

Book question, I'm reading Children right now but it's been a while since I read Dune/Messiah so I'm hazy on a few background details: What exactly was/is the Bene Gesserits' plan for Jessica's child and the Atreides bloodline? They wanted Jessica to have a daughter so they could wed her to a Harkonnen male (I guess Feyd?) and merge the two families, but to what end? If it was about merging the bloodlines, then isn't that already achieved in Paul anyway regardless of his sex or eventual partner since Jessica is the Baron's daughter? If it was because they thought that would bring about the Kwisatz Haderach, why was it so important for that to happen a generation later than it did? Plus they're apparently still after those Atreides/Harkonnen genes even after Paul, with all the talk in Children about how they might want Leto II and Ghanima to breed. Was Paul just not incesty/Harkonneny enough for them for whatever reason?

I think that was the end-point of The Plan, and it makes sense that they were technically correct, Paul was not the KH, but his son Leto II definitely was...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Forktoss posted:

It's a back-cross to cement to ruthlessness and iron will the KH would require. One Harkonnen-load wasn't enough. And the Bene Gesserit were right, since Paul was too chicken poo poo to do the golden path. Luckily there was more than enough grit from Chani for Leto II to succeed.

The Bene Gesserit plan was no doubt to marry Feyd into the royal family, thereby placing his son on the throne and avoiding the need for the Jihad. The KH would still have foreseen the golden path and implemented the same policies as the god emperor, so ultimately things would have wound up in the same place.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

When I read the book 15 years ago, I pronounced it in my head as Benny Geh-SER-it, with a hard g. I guess the actual pronunciation makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I do wonder how much of the Bene Gesseret's scheming at that point was "Work to bring about the Messiah" and how much was just being addicted to playing politics and pretending to be the kingmaker, while lying to themselves that it was all for the bigger plan. Like, there has to come a point where they either have so many Contingency plans at work, or they're taking a fairly big gamble that Paula Atrades, Daughter of Leto Atredes, doesn't decide to be a child and accidentally falls down the stairs, or falls into the ocean, or accidentally impaled herself playing with grandpappy's sword. Or that the Baron or Duke just said "gently caress it", declared outright war and "whoops, we wiped out the other royal family. Whatcha gonna do?"

Hell, part of me wonders how many members of the Bene Gesserit breathed a sigh of relief that they could focus more on one of the other bloodline projects when Jessica rebelled and sired an heir instead of an heiress.