Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Wasn’t part of it that the BG would be in a position to have more control over the Feyd/Atreides heir than they would over Paul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The fact that Paul Atreides happened at all showed that the Bene Gesserit were serious about their project. If they were really just power-hungry, they would have aborted their project when they sensed they were getting close to the goal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao I was not aware before watching this that it was only half of the first book - I assumed part two would be Messiah. By the time it got to the Fremen I was thinking the pacing was extremely hosed because it felt like more than two hours had passed already.

I really enjoyed it but it really needed more of a climax. I'm not sure what could possibly have done that though...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Randalor posted:

I do wonder how much of the Bene Gesseret's scheming at that point was "Work to bring about the Messiah" and how much was just being addicted to playing politics and pretending to be the kingmaker, while lying to themselves that it was all for the bigger plan. Like, there has to come a point where they either have so many Contingency plans at work, or they're taking a fairly big gamble that Paula Atrades, Daughter of Leto Atredes, doesn't decide to be a child and accidentally falls down the stairs, or falls into the ocean, or accidentally impaled herself playing with grandpappy's sword. Or that the Baron or Duke just said "gently caress it", declared outright war and "whoops, we wiped out the other royal family. Whatcha gonna do?"

Hell, part of me wonders how many members of the Bene Gesserit breathed a sigh of relief that they could focus more on one of the other bloodline projects when Jessica rebelled and sired an heir instead of an heiress.

Technology keeps the children safe and BG devotees keep the Houses from going “gently caress it” by always whispering in their ears...

Wasn’t the groundwork for the prophecy that Paul takes advantage of laid hundreds of years before he was born?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If I want to see this in imax this coming Friday, I’ve waited too long, huh? (Nyc)

I just see eternals tickets available in imax.com, and ‘no tickets available for your dates yet’ for dune.

No wonder no one goes to the theater; I would have booked a ticket earlier if I’d known they would going to show dune in imax for…. 13 days????

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wasn’t the groundwork for the prophecy that Paul takes advantage of laid hundreds of years before he was born?

Yes, but also they set it up so any Bene Gesserit could show up and be accepted into the local religion as a priestess/prophet/whatever. Selling the Fremen on the messiah part was way harder than the generic "hey I'm a woman who appeared out of nowhere and I'm totally down with your god."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Randalor posted:

I do wonder how much of the Bene Gesseret's scheming at that point was "Work to bring about the Messiah" and how much was just being addicted to playing politics and pretending to be the kingmaker, while lying to themselves that it was all for the bigger plan. Like, there has to come a point where they either have so many Contingency plans at work, or they're taking a fairly big gamble that Paula Atrades, Daughter of Leto Atredes, doesn't decide to be a child and accidentally falls down the stairs, or falls into the ocean, or accidentally impaled herself playing with grandpappy's sword. Or that the Baron or Duke just said "gently caress it", declared outright war and "whoops, we wiped out the other royal family. Whatcha gonna do?"

Hell, part of me wonders how many members of the Bene Gesserit breathed a sigh of relief that they could focus more on one of the other bloodline projects when Jessica rebelled and sired an heir instead of an heiress.

There are other messiah candidates in the book. Paul was just the first across the finish line.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

it's almost like the dagger fights were more realistic instead of some prolonged choreographic dance or some bullshit

What? It’s all spinning horseshit with no connection to any system of fighting OR dance. If the fights were “realistic” they’d be mostly grappling and everyone would have to be stabbed 20 times before they die. The fight choreography in this movie is just bad. Uninspired, neither visceral nor beautiful, characterless.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Randalor posted:

Like any large institution I'm sure they encompassed many viewpoints.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In Heretics of Dune they find a posthumous message from Leto II calling out the Bene Gesserit as just a self interested secret society. It's what prompts them to actually try and have a purpose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there are no satellites and after the fighting in the city dies down there is a very gratuitous carpet bombing of the city that I think we all took as an indication that everyone is getting murdered.

plus a lot of the troops are harkonnen, it seems like the sardaukar are just getting the toughest parts of the fight- like i didn't see any on the landing pad, and the fight in the palace has harkonnens charging atreides with the sardaukar ambushing them from behind

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL03Zj5p7Nc

Of course Jason Momoa went camping when he wasn't on the shoot.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

DeimosRising posted:

What? It’s all spinning horseshit with no connection to any system of fighting OR dance. If the fights were “realistic” they’d be mostly grappling and everyone would have to be stabbed 20 times before they die. The fight choreography in this movie is just bad. Uninspired, neither visceral nor beautiful, characterless.

it's pretty obviously well connected to philipino kali/eskrima/arnis. but go off king

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The fight coordinator was in the film as one of the Atreides lieutenants, rumor is he'll be the "slave" that Feyd fights in the arena in part 2. So you'll get to see your grievances answered on screen at least.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Defiance Industries posted:

Versus evil robots, you mean.
I went along with their books and while changing the nature of the Butlerian Jihad from Frank's alleged view of "humans relying on machines and high technology is a form of self induced slavery" to "T2 Judgement Day" was disappointing, the urine frosting of their work was their Dune 7 "book" that brought all characters back as gholas, revealed the destruction of humanity that Leto II steered against was the return of machines, culminating in the Mass Effect ending of (yet another) Duncan Idaho ghola merging with the primary machines bringing forth some utopia of human machine hybrids and FINALLY ending a conflict never once hinted at in Frank's books.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

i've seen two arguments about the fights being bad, some saying it's too flashy and others saying it's not flashy enough so gently caress both groups you little shits, you're banned from dune 2. Get the hell out of my house.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

At best the fights are kind of detached from the drama of the shields and what we're shown about them early on. The shields go red as soon as something starts to penetrate them, which works great in the shots with the darts, where we have a lot of time to process what's going on and see "Oh ok, it takes things time to slowly work through the shields. I get it." But then in the larger scale knife fights the shield's turning red shifts purpose and becomes an instant flag for "the shield has been penetrated and this guy is dead." It's not that it's particularly hard for anyone to comprehend what's going on. Red = Bad. Got it. But the moment to moment logic of the shields shifts in a way that's necessary to suit the coreography and not vice versa, which is disappointing and unsatisfying.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL03Zj5p7Nc

Of course Jason Momoa went camping when he wasn't on the shoot.

yea that was his mission he had to find and integrate with the fremen

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Kurzon posted:

Where did you learn this?

Looks like the source is a biography, but it does sound plausible to me -- the "nen" ending is very common in Finnish names.

https://www.looper.com/642409/dunes-big-bad-guy-vladimir-harkonnen-explained/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwN1TjN-_g&t=952s

So apparently the reason why so much of the desert is shot at night is that they were really out on the erg in Abu Dhabi and the desert was too hot for the cameras or the actors to shoot in the day.

The Jordan location is the rocky desert and the Abu Dhabi location is the sand dunes.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

"Today, credit scenes are one of Marvel's main draws for their "films"" :wtc: hell it's probably true, gotta consume that next product

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwN1TjN-_g&t=952s

So apparently the reason why so much of the desert is shot at night is that they were really out on the erg in Abu Dhabi and the desert was too hot for the cameras or the actors to shoot in the day.

The Jordan location is the rocky desert and the Abu Dhabi location is the sand dunes.

I went back a bit to where she was talking about Mission Impossible, and was treated to Rebecca Ferguson talking about "fanny farts, that's literally when we fart with our fannies"

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

"Today, credit scenes are one of Marvel's main draws for their "films"" :wtc: hell it's probably true, gotta consume that next product

As someone who watches pretty much every marvel movie, marvel movies have ruined cinema for a generation.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Who on God's green earth isn't sick to loving death of end credit scenes? Yeah, it was a fun Easter egg in phase 1, but now there are three in every movie and its just exhausting.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

It's just a clickbait article and apparently it's working.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The fight choreography wasn’t amazing but they gave us beep boop light and sound shows which was pretty impactful so on the whole I’d say the fights were a plus

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

2house2fly posted:

Watching a video game review on youtube today, I was reminded that Neuromancer predicted that in the 2030s people would be impressed if you had three megabytes of RAM

I too watched the Tim Roger's magnum opus :hfive:

Dune was good, not sure about great but I'll have to watch it again, was difficult to understand some of the dialogue. My fiancée who has almost zero previous knowledge of Dune enjoyed it quite a bit but wants a family tree/character diagram sort of thing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to watch it again. Shame it's not on streaming platforms in the UK - I doubt I'll get another chance to see it in a cinema any time soon.

On reflection it's crazy how prominent Zendaya was in all the marketing when she's straight up barely in the movie. Her and Dave Bautista are casting choices that could leave some people scratching their heads - without the context of Part Two it feels like two huge name actors being totally wasted on bit-parts. I suppose it's a natural casualty of splitting the story in two but it feels really odd to watch - most movies would find something for those characters to do to justify including the actors.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Looks like the source is a biography, but it does sound plausible to me -- the "nen" ending is very common in Finnish names.

https://www.looper.com/642409/dunes-big-bad-guy-vladimir-harkonnen-explained/

See Finnish Formula 1 world champions Mika Häkkinen and Kimi Räikkönen.

Edit: The Harkonnens would totally have a brutal Formula 1 team. They would be very into racing’s “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” “creative” interpretation of rules. Just uh… make sure you win every race if you value your physical well being.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 30, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bautista is perfectly happy playing small character actor parts if it means he gets to be part of something really good.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AllenFarnsworthIV posted:

He became an agent of the Harkonens to save his wife. Totally different.

In the book he tells Leto he's certain she is dead. In Dunc he says he witnessed her being taken apart. Yueh is under no illusions; he's letting the baron think so in order to increase the chance his revenge is successful.

In the miniseries he seems to think his wife will be returned alive. Can't remember off hand how it is in Lynch

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

stev posted:

I really want to watch it again. Shame it's not on streaming platforms in the UK - I doubt I'll get another chance to see it in a cinema any time soon.

On reflection it's crazy how prominent Zendaya was in all the marketing when she's straight up barely in the movie. Her and Dave Bautista are casting choices that could leave some people scratching their heads - without the context of Part Two it feels like two huge name actors being totally wasted on bit-parts. I suppose it's a natural casualty of splitting the story in two but it feels really odd to watch - most movies would find something for those characters to do to justify including the actors.

It was like how William Hurt was marketed up the rear end in the Dune 2000 mini series, and is prominently featured on the DVD cover, then he dies before the first part ends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stev posted:

I really enjoyed it but it really needed more of a climax. I'm not sure what could possibly have done that though...

Same. I haven't read the books and everyone says it was the best place to end it, but it still felt like it just sort of cuts off abruptly. Everything else about it was great though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

stev posted:

Her and Dave Bautista are casting choices that could leave some people scratching their heads - without the context of Part Two it feels like two huge name actors being totally wasted on bit-parts.

If you go by the book, Rabban never appears on page after the point the story is currently at

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Blood Boils posted:

In the book he tells Leto he's certain she is dead. In Dunc he says he witnessed her being taken apart. Yueh is under no illusions; he's letting the baron think so in order to increase the chance his revenge is successful.

In the miniseries he seems to think his wife will be returned alive. Can't remember off hand how it is in Lynch

I think Lynch was the same as here; they said he'd get her back alive but he knows they're full of poo poo and is doing what they want for a chance at revenge

BTW it wasn't until I rewatched Dunc that I noticed the Baron cuts Yueh's head clean off, sweet jesus

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Vintersorg posted:

Wrong.

I've never read the novel and my only experience is with Dune 2.

This movie rocks and I am hoping we get more.

Same except my only experience is with Dune: Battle for Arrakis the old RTS video game on the Genesis.

Movie loving owned. I had no idea what the end goal of the Bene Gesserit was, but holy poo poo I got that they are playing a very long and very dangerous game. When the head of that order basically tells Jessica "you hosed up and tried to move too early because he's not ready" my heart broke for her. That actress captured a I've doomed everyone what have I done look so well.

I didn't get that she wasn't the Duke's wife, though, so the bit about "I should have married you" confused me so I guess I could have used some explanation.

I had stayed away from this sort of thing since it tends to be, er, rather male-oriented (and rapey) but god drat the real power here was not the huge armies or the pilots or the dukes or the strategy councils (all 100% male) but the Bene Gesserit and they legit scared me. I was blown away by the bit where Paul is like "Yeah, I'm powerful because I'm the son of a duke" and the head of the order snaps "No, it's because you're the son of Jessica".

This was as far from my wrong-headed impression of sci-fi as it possibly could have been and I'm gonna go read the book.

Also, I did get that Spice is used for space travel, but I don't know how. They said it was how interstellar travel was possible, but if they explained more than that I missed it. I don't think I needed to know that, though.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

I.G. posted:

In the book Leto's shield is down when he's shot by the dartgun. I have no idea why they changed it so that his shield was active in the movie--it just confuses the audience and makes it seem like the shields don't work well.

It's actually a great way to establish in-movie continuity, given that they kind of sidestepped everything about shield/lasgun interactions, and it enables the audience to intuitively grasp whats happening when the Harkonnen start raining drill-bombs onto the grounded Atredies ships.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

I had stayed away from this sort of thing since it tends to be, er, rather male-oriented (and rapey) but god drat the real power here was not the huge armies or the pilots or the dukes or the strategy councils (all 100% male) but the Bene Gesserit and they legit scared me. I was blown away by the bit where Paul is like "Yeah, I'm powerful because I'm the son of a duke" and the head of the order snaps "No, it's because you're the son of Jessica".

This was as far from my wrong-headed impression of sci-fi as it possibly could have been and I'm gonna go read the book.

Also, I did get that Spice is used for space travel, but I don't know how. They said it was how interstellar travel was possible, but if they explained more than that I missed it. I don't think I needed to know that, though.

Mohiam isn't actually the head of the Bene Gesserit, but she has a prestigious and important position as the head Bene Gesserit emissary in the Emperor's court. Mohiam's day job is in the Emperor's throne room so she 100% knows what is coming for the Atreides in her scenes on Caladan.

How exactly spice is involved in space travel isn't discussed in the first half of the book either.

Glad to see this movie is bringing in new fans! God knows the world needs more people who care about desert ecology.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 31, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thursday Next posted:

idk how you got that impression of the BG and how powerful they are. Mohiam couldn't even stop the Baron from trying to kill Paul and Jessica. If they were so powerful, he wouldn't have tried to rules lawyer her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with the Baron not being a giant fat ball of gay panic, but he should absolutely be a madman. It's like they gave Skarsgard notes that said "Palpatine, but not the parts where he's enjoying himself." McMillan and Dourif were wonderful, McNiece was a joy. This is like if you made a Batman movie where the Joker was a boring gangster in a purple suit and the Riddler was a boring gangster in a green suit.

Giedi Prime is a polluted hellhole, but the point of the Harkonnens is that the squalor exists to finance a pleasure dome at its center.

I thought another big whiff was making the environments too similar. On Caladan, everyone wears black and it's greige and wet. On Giedi Prime, everyone wears black and it's always raining. On Salusa Secundus, everyone wears white and it's greige and always raining.

(I did like the human sacrifices on Salusa Secundus. A possible reference to The Holy Mountain?

They've said in multiple interviews and such that Col Kurtz from Apocalypse Now was a huge inspiration for how the Baron was supposed to come off. Like.... disassociated and utterly sociopathic. Love it or hate it thats what they were going for I guess. I will say that from what I've learned, MOST of the deleted scenes from the theatrical cut were Harkonnen stuff which could have maybe fleshed these things out better.