Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well that's disappointing. I'd misremembered it as funnier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gripweed posted:

Well that's disappointing. I'd misremembered it as funnier than that.
It certainly could have been a different occurrence! My first thought on reading your post was actually Psych but google led me to the link above which... I didn't get the sense is a hotbed of trailblazing comedic minds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the gag has definitely been done in Psych. Psych specifically makes it a recurring and escalating gag that Woody the Coroner is a huge creepy weirdo. Eating a sandwich is tame for him because there's probably a scene where he lays out a meat and cheese platter.

I also feel like I just saw that gag in Brooklyn Nine Nine but I can't remember exactly where. My guess its one that's been done more often than we realize.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a Scrubs joke that is similar, they go visit the hospital morgue and the medical examiner or whoever is eating a sandwich as he stands over a cadaver and JD says something like "you got crumbs on his head" and the guy half-heartedly wipes them away.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trailer for new season of The Witcher is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFVV2L8GKs

As someone who never read the books or played the game, please tell a coherent story. poo poo was all over the place in Season 1. A, very high production value, storytelling mess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, no slowed down Five Finger Death Punch cover of "toss a coin to your Witcher."

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Trailer for new season of The Witcher is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFVV2L8GKs

As someone who never read the books or played the game, please tell a coherent story. poo poo was all over the place in Season 1. A, very high production value, storytelling mess.

I thought the structure of season 1 was completely terrible. Not just the unclear timelines but it all led up to a boring non-climax.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I really liked the way they told the story, I think the pace would have dragged a lot more, otherwise.

Also, 10/10 for the best line: “Geralt! I haven’t seen you since the Plague!”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I really liked the way they told the story, I think the pace would have dragged a lot more, otherwise.

Also, 10/10 for the best line: “Geralt! I haven’t seen you since the Plague!”

Yeah, I thought the way the first season played with structure was great, on top of the commitment to telling a chapterised serial narrative, rather than the badly paced blob of whatever that so much Netflix stuff descends into.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

lol Monster playing had me x-ing out that trailer, that is so incredibly cheesy

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shageletic posted:

lol Monster playing had me x-ing out that trailer, that is so incredibly cheesy

I loved it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I need some help. There's a joke I remember that I'm like 70% sure is from a TV show, but might be from a podcast or a movie or a tweet. I can't remember the exact wording, but basically two cops are discussing a case and one says "We need to see the autopsy results. Let's head to the morgue" and the other cop says "I hate going to the morgue. Every time we go there the coroner is eating a sandwich next to a dead body to show how blase he is about death"

Its a random guess but I think there was some lines close to this in the game Thimbleweed Park.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Barely anyone else in the Apple TV+ thread really watches it but JESUS The Morning Show is such a hilarious hot mess this season. Starting with seemingly genuinely wanting us to feel sympathy for Aniston and Carell’s characters despite them being two of the dumbest shithead assholes ever seen on TV (the one time it’s felt like the writers have truly understood Aniston’s shittiness was them using her to make you feel bad for Carell!)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone in the Cowboy Bebop live-action thread posted this new teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ueRbFQkEk

It's real solid, maybe the best one yet overall.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm watching Cheers for the first time ever too. Woody Harrelson is fantastic when he comes along, I heard he was in the show but I presumed he would just look like modern Woody Harrelson, it's wild to see him play so hilarious. Frasier is great as well as a rough version of himself than in the spinoff.

I know it was fairly progressive for the time, but there's lots of dated stuff. Theres an episode based around two gay people being in the bar and the regulars split over if they should be allowed to stay or not. There's also a lot of weird jokes about Sam or Fraiser wanting to kill Diane like nearly every episode.

I think possibly the most affecting thing I've ever seen on TV, at least what's stuck with me more than anything else I saw at a young age, is the scene where Rebecca lies on her couch and tells Sam she's too exhausted to keep dealing with the constant harassment, just loving get it over with.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm watching Cheers for the first time ever too. Woody Harrelson is fantastic when he comes along, I heard he was in the show but I presumed he would just look like modern Woody Harrelson, it's wild to see him play so hilarious. Frasier is great as well as a rough version of himself than in the spinoff.

Sepinwall is a big fan of Cheers. His essay on it in The Revolution Was Televised (or maybe TV The Book?) is an interesting read if you want to read more about its impact at the time and how it holds up in retrospect

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its definitely a top 5 multicam sitcom for sure. my list in order of 1 to 5 would probably be all in the family, fraiser, maude, cheers, and the beverley hillbillies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Annabel Pee posted:

Its a random guess but I think there was some lines close to this in the game Thimbleweed Park.

I only play Monster Hunter and Metal Gear games.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Paper Lion posted:

its definitely a top 5 multicam sitcom for sure. my list in order of 1 to 5 would probably be all in the family, fraiser, maude, cheers, and the beverley hillbillies

was Beverly hillbillies not single camera? all my other favorite stuff from that era is single camera, Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Green Acres, The Munsters. I Love Lucy is probably the best early multi cam imo

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

was Beverly hillbillies not single camera? all my other favorite stuff from that era is single camera, Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Green Acres, The Munsters. I Love Lucy is probably the best early multi cam imo

it would kind of swap around between single and multi, it would have on location shoots for some scenes or at times they would do these weird zooms on characters, but the majority of the scenes were standard multicam fare in either the clampett kitchen or foyer

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think possibly the most affecting thing I've ever seen on TV, at least what's stuck with me more than anything else I saw at a young age, is the scene where Rebecca lies on her couch and tells Sam she's too exhausted to keep dealing with the constant harassment, just loving get it over with.

Do you know which episode this is?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

I know it was fairly progressive for the time, but there's lots of dated stuff. Theres an episode based around two gay people being in the bar and the regulars split over if they should be allowed to stay or not. There's also a lot of weird jokes about Sam or Fraiser wanting to kill Diane like nearly every episode.

Yeah, I didn't know Woody Harrelson was in the show, but he might be one of my favorites. His little folksy one-liners and gags crack me up.

I feel you on the dated aspect of it though. Outside of random clips of Woody and Frasier bits I've seen on YouTube, I'm still on the first season, and I've already seen some gay panic and the odd bouts of misogyny. Also, I know it's a part of her character and it doesn't really bother me on a deep level or anything like that, but I didn't expect Diane to be like, classist-classist. From how I've heard people talk about the show I just thought she'd be kind of spacy and sheltered in an ivory tower way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I feel like in season 1 or 2 they definitely tested Red's DNA against Keen's dad and said it was not a match, I would hope the FBI was also competent enough to notice a lack of XY chromosomes at the same time but I guess they have probably retconned enough of that show already.

Edit: lol nevermind I just googled this and found the like half dozen different times they mentioned DNA tests on the show and now I can't tell whether they ever actually did with James Spader's character

This is a television show where a computer virus jumped out of the computer to infect people lol.

This was a fun pre-covid shoot day where they had CDC type people running around in bunny suits in downtown Manhattan, freaking a bunch of people out for a minute or two.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is a television show where a computer virus jumped out of the computer to infect people lol.

That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

vote_no posted:

Do you know which episode this is?

Not without a lot of searching - that was from live watching as a pre-teen. Sometime between 6-8 before they get together I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of Love Life started on HBO Max. While the first season followed Anna Kendrick, this one follows William Jackson Harper (aka Chidi). I think it’s better than the first season plus I had forgotten that Harper is secretly insanely good-looking

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AceOfFlames posted:

To say nothing about how they managed to write themselves into a corner with the whole "James Spader is not the real Raymond Reddington" revelation. The creator clearly wanted to reveal that Spader is actually Keen's mother having undergone plastic and gender reassignment surgery and Keen's death scene seems to all but directly say it but I'm guessing that proved a bridge too far for NBC (unlike stuff like that Human Centipede-eque abortion episode) and now that said creator left the show, they will probably just drop it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

This was a fun pre-covid shoot day where they had CDC type people running around in bunny suits in downtown Manhattan, freaking a bunch of people out for a minute or two.

Huh. I had a very wrong impression of the kind of show Blacklist was.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Crime Story really out here tryna make me feel sorry for Hillary

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

American Crime Story really out here tryna make me feel sorry for Hillary

At that point she wasn’t that bad. If anything she thought she could make a positive change. A lot of Clinton hate is straight up sexism.

(Later on she’d end up sucking)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I just don’t really believe that any of it went down as depicted in the latest episode. Also yeah Hillary wasn’t really super warmongery at this point but it is post-“superpredators”

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Huh. I had a very wrong impression of the kind of show Blacklist was.

Yeah, turns out it’s an extraordinarily dumb show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

To say nothing about how they managed to write themselves into a corner with the whole "James Spader is not the real Raymond Reddington" revelation. The creator clearly wanted to reveal that Spader is actually Keen's mother having undergone plastic and gender reassignment surgery and Keen's death scene seems to all but directly say it but I'm guessing that proved a bridge too far for NBC (unlike stuff like that Human Centipede-eque abortion episode) and now that said creator left the show, they will probably just drop it.

Hahaha oh my god, I'm keeping the show on at work background noise so I'm not doing the best job following the twists and turns, but this seems totally plausible in-universe just being on season 1 or 2. This specific twist though, and was kind of used in Toast of London where african woman has botched surgery that makes all of her body except her hand looked like bruce forsyth. Bizarre spoiling that but just in case that's a big reveal for blacklist diehards catching up and and also reading my post at this point in time?

Oh man, Sylens from Horizon Zero Dawn is here. I think this is the first time I've recognized an actor from a videogame appearance and not the other way around lol.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 30, 2021

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Lance Reddick is fun and good in everything I've ever seen him in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So good. Man I wish Corporate lasted longer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Khanstant I guess this means you gotta watch a little show called THE WIRE

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ash vs Evil Dead owns p hard, now that I'm finally watching it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btu0O47u3rY
https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1454520193066078210?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember hearing that the sets on deadwood didn't just look great but they were built using historical methods is that true or just someone's wishful thinking

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LionArcher posted:

At that point she wasn’t that bad. If anything she thought she could make a positive change. A lot of Clinton hate is straight up sexism.

(Later on she’d end up sucking)

Didn't she only talk to bill after the Impeachment to convince him to bomb serbia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I wish there was still a Breaking Bad or a binge watch thread. I've been rewatching Breaking Bad and its so drat good.