Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

i thought this was funy drug poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kitfox88 posted:

i thought this was funy drug poo poo

its funny poo poo drug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

its funny poo poo drug
impressive

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

people out in public with bluetooth earpieces

what'd they move onto anyway? apple watches?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

airpods?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AirPods for sure. you can tell an old Bluetooth headset user because they’ll have just one airpod in

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Idk bluetooth headset was 100% something I associated with middle aged dudes who have no need for them but always have them in their ear. I don't feel like that aesthetic is still around. They're more likely to be "loud conversation in public on speakerphone" types when I see them these days.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag Tuek posted:

in my experience, there were two kinds of dudes who had bt earplugs: one was the virgin business guy & the other was the chad manual laborer

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the zalman reserator, a fanless pump/reservoir/radiator for the first wave of "silent" PCs circa 2004:

also, xoxide which is where I stole that image from

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
"What if a dialysis machine, but computers?"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a very literal space heater

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

eschaton posted:

there’s another side to this too

back in the day the NSA had to approve any product containing encryption for export, especially if you wanted to ship something better than DES

I know of a product that shipped 1024-bit RSA in 1992 and received virtually immediate approval from the NSA to do so

think about the implications of that

yeah i think that is pretty much known.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr.Radar posted:

the zalman reserator, a fanless pump/reservoir/radiator for the first wave of "silent" PCs circa 2004:

how about a freon fountain? makes a nice decoration

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr.Radar posted:

Simply add two or three of these to your PC to have it totally standalone and off-grid

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

carry on then posted:

how about a freon fountain? makes a nice decoration

Cray always had great aesthetics. I was really disappointed when work bought a SGI that they didn't have any good posters anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my cousin worked for cray which I always thought would be really cool but it was mostly janitoring big machines that ran databases and other such boring stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr.Radar posted:

'bong coolers'

they gave several kids Legionnaires' Disease lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

:xd:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
what could go wrong with a tube of stagnant water kept at 100f with no disinfectants

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

what’s this image of? an RTG for a satellite or lighthouse or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it's the former, yes

maybe one of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power

e: not a SNAP. it is an RTG though, the one from cassini

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

that got me reading about RTGs and led me to an article about plutonium powered pacemakers :prepop:

quote:

When plutonium-238 became available for non-military uses, numerous applications were proposed and tested, including the Cardiac Pacemaker program that began on June 1, 1966, in conjunction with NUMEC.[22] When it was recognized that the heat source would not remain intact through cremation, the program was cancelled because 100% assurance could not be guaranteed that a cremation event would not occur.[citation needed]

As of 2007, there were nine living people with nuclear powered pacemakers, of 139 original recipients.[23] When these individuals die, the pacemaker is supposed to be removed and shipped to Los Alamos where the plutonium will be recovered.[24]

In a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine discussing a woman who received a Numec NU-5 decades ago that is continuously operating, despite an original $5,000 price tag equivalent to $23,000 in 2007 dollars, the follow-up costs have been about $19,000 compared with $55,000 for a battery-powered pacemaker.[23]

An other nuclear powered pacemaker was the Medtronics “Laurens-Alcatel Model 9000”.[25] Approximately 1600 nuclear powered cardiac pacemakers and/or battery assemblies have been located across the United States which are eligible for recovery by the Off-Site Source Recovery Project (OSRP) Team at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).[26]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Mr.Radar posted:

I kind of miss crazy poo poo like this, and self immolating athlons and fiddling with front side bus settings (to avoid granny clocking) and building a new machine every 18 months. now you just put the parts together into a massive monolith of a case, turn it on and you don't need to touch it for another 8 years :corsair:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

when I started college every single dorm hall and school building was on H U B S

loving HUBS, not switches.

so I’m sure it was collision central, but you could see every single computer on campus. I had a program that would just scan every IP in a block for open SMB shares and return the findings

I got so much music, software and movies that way. it also had the added advantage of on Napster, peers that were on campus would show up with a ping time of 1, so if
you saw one of those in your Napster searches, you went for it.

this was also peak edgelord time at the height of BMEZine and rotten.com and whatnot so I also inadvertently stumbled on a lot of really gross hosed up poo poo :cry:

hopefully you will remember GeoBoy / NetBoy?

having a pew pew style graphical map of what your fellow students were connecting to, color coded for protocol and line thickness for transfer rate.. meant that anything cool that people were on to, you were on to it pretty soon after and no one had a clue how you knew

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i prolly posted it before but when i had dial-up our ISP (iinet) gave you a free unix shell account on their server with like 15MB of home quota

thats when you end up trying, instead of loading windsock and typing PPP into your prompt, you see if you can cd /etc and cat passwd. and when you find it is helpfully not shadowed due to 90's you can download it and run Jack the Ripper on the file. What's a dictionary file you says? just type password guesses like "password" manually and see which hashes match and you end up laughing every time you see the local baker or an advertisement for them because you've been using their dialup account since year 9

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

thats when you end up trying, instead of loading windsock and typing PPP into your prompt, you see if you can cd /etc and cat passwd. and when you find it is helpfully not shadowed due to 90's you can download it and run Jack the Ripper on the file. What's a dictionary file you says? just type password guesses like "password" manually and see which hashes match and you end up laughing every time you see the local baker or an advertisement for them because you've been using their dialup account since year 9

hah poo poo yeah i barely knew what i was doing at the time. also i think each user was in a chroot? i wouldn't be surprised though if it was cooked knowing iinet. last i heard they still stored user passwords with symmetric encryption instead of as hashes so customer service reps could see your password. this is in comparison to telstra where they stored as hashes and it was impossible to view anyone's pwd all you could do is reset.

also i think iinet had customer passwords in cleartext in RADIUS logs. telstra had a jank internal java tool to lookup RADIUS logs for users and despite the jank it didnt have passwords.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Jonny 290 posted:

this is probably a stupid question, but...how did that happen?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RobobTheGreat posted:

this is probably a stupid question, but...how did that happen?

my guess is they did not use distilled water and did not ever cycle out old water. there’s gonna be some nasty poo poo living in there. the thing isn’t getting boiling hot, so it’s just a warm stagnant pool. dinguses didn’t understand this danger, and would get nasty water on them. easy enough to ingest if you don’t wash your hands and everything thoroughly after.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well and there's a fan there recirculating air through it and spitting whatever's in that tube out into the room air. so yeah over time the water got funky and the thing turned into a low yield biological weapon

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

PCjr sidecar posted:

Cray always had great aesthetics. I was really disappointed when work bought a SGI that they didn't have any good posters anymore.

one of my university lecturers had worked on crays in the 80s and had a ton of stories about how hosed up the architecture was and how you had to do all kinds of weird defensive programming tricks to avoid all the edge cases

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Jonny 290 posted:

well and there's a fan there recirculating air through it and spitting whatever's in that tube out into the room air. so yeah over time the water got funky and the thing turned into a low yield biological weapon

thanks. that would explain it, if the user was breathing the contaminated vapor.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rochester legionella cloud

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sweevo posted:

one of my university lecturers had worked on crays in the 80s and had a ton of stories about how hosed up the architecture was and how you had to do all kinds of weird defensive programming tricks to avoid all the edge cases
Yeah, one of my textbooks in college had an essay about Cray weirdness. Like there were numbers that were zero as far as the adder was concerned but not zero to the multiplier. And there were cases where if x was a large value, and 2.0 * x would overflow, then 1.0 * x would overflow too.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's the former, yes

maybe one of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power

e: not a SNAP. it is an RTG though, the one from cassini

yep, you nailed it… the Cassini page has a picture similar to the one posted. here’s the main article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPHS-RTG

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also i think iinet had customer passwords in cleartext in RADIUS logs. telstra had a jank internal java tool to lookup RADIUS logs for users and despite the jank it didnt have passwords.

i think most 2000's ISPs had these, when i was at Internode we had a shell account on a solaris box that we used to watch radius logs (no clear text passwords though).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my local dial up isp gave us shell access to check mail and whatnot. I know we were locked into our own little sandbox somehow, I don’t think it was chroot jails because the security that was there seemed pretty flimsy

you were able to run executables by calling the shell command (bash, I believe) with the executable as the argument.

so every day I would call passwd and change my friends password, requiring him or his parents to call support and get it changed back.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Presto posted:

Yeah, one of my textbooks in college had an essay about Cray weirdness. Like there were numbers that were zero as far as the adder was concerned but not zero to the multiplier.

This happens with IEEE floats on modern machines too. If A is much much larger than B, A + B == A, even though B isn't 0.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Jabor posted:

This happens with IEEE floats on modern machines too. If A is much much larger than B, A + B == A, even though B isn't 0.
Yeah but in Cray's case it was because they weren't testing all the bits in some cases, because it was faster.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that got me reading about RTGs and led me to an article about plutonium powered pacemakers :prepop:

This is actually an extremely cool idea and it's disappointing that it didn't continue, but I guess the proliferation concern of murdering old people for their sweet radioactive parts makes sense, along with the whole incineration thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Volmarias posted:

This is actually an extremely cool idea and it's disappointing that it didn't continue, but I guess the proliferation concern of murdering old people for their sweet radioactive parts makes sense, along with the whole incineration thing.

the idea that i could get a 100% unironic tattoo over my heart with the THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR screed because i'm nuclear regulated is pretty cool tho