Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
found the problem

this used to be one piece:

so I got some replacments..

good thing I ordered 4 of them..

how.... do you even ship this to someone...

I installed them and everything seems ok... I have to reinstall my floors, and while I'm at it, I think I'm going to do a little upgrade... stay tuned for that.

This rear end is on borrowed time. the funny thing about these model a rear ends is that they are still somewhat despensible after all these years - they can be had for little to no money, and most likely I can get one that is better than mine for less than 200 bucks, so I'm not super concerned about breaking it - also I still want to do the quick change I posted earlier, but I want to wait until my rear end is good and broken before doing that.

I got cool tip on reassembly of this thing from a dude who learned the art from his granddad - if you put some valve grinding compound on the spindles, and reinstall without the keys, giving them a spin will clean up the tapers on these really easily.

my grandpa supplied the valve grinding compound:

yes, those cans are from the 30s and yes, the contents of them are still good.

for those of you who dont know, this is what the model a rear axle looks like out of the car

its not like a modern rear end where the axles contain the lugs, but rather they come to a taper that is matched by the brake drum, the brake drum slots on to the taper and uses a key to turn the rear drums, to whihc the wheels are bolted to - pretty weird system, but this was the standard all the way up into the late 40s with ford, a far cry from the complexity and heavy duty nature of my buicks...

in the meantime, I'm waiting for my distributor to get the car running again - I sent my fancy pants one back in to get worked on, and a friend is working another one from the 50s. so we wait...

There was a talk about toolboxes going on over in the tool thread, so I thouhgt I'd interject some of my mess.

from the tool thread:

LobsterboyX posted:

It came with a few. It's kinda a long story - After my Grandfather passed in 1997, my grandmother saw the way the wind was blowing with me and decided to give the box and its contents to me, instead of my older cousins who are 15 and 18 years older than me. If you look close at that picture you can see a pink sticker on the front of it - in pencil was written "this box and all its contents are property of lobsterboyx" - on subsiquent visits from my older cousins, half the sticker was torn off and some really nice stuff was removed from it. I paint them as monsters, but they aren't and our Grandfather was really special to all of us. What steams me the most about it is that neither of them are really in to this culture, and were more of keepsakes for them and I'm over here like "but I use this stuff.."

They took some really nice old well used Starret stuff, a killer old tap and die set, and some made in LA Plomb wrenches (later proto)

Last laugh is on them because I bought this house back, and now I have my grandfathers garage, and the tool box..

That photo was taken when I first got the house back and I was in the process of putting grandpa's garage back to how it was.

heres more details of it:

by '53 he was a foreman on the line for the DC passenger planes, he oversaw all the C-47's built during wartime

thats just some of the drawers with the cooler older stuff in them - all the bicycle stuff is my doing, but he did help me service my bikes before he passed.

here's my main stack today

this stack is right next to my bench and contains my most used tools

sadly they aren't old tools, but I do have some incomplete sets.

here's another top box I keep on the rack that has all my car specialty tools

plus I have 2 more of these one for knicknacks and one for my metric tools (who needs those... ) in a darker, less accessible spot

also while we're in here, here are some of my 40s craftsman "king seely:" power tools, bench grinder with a really cool deco stand that I think is a delta, and the drill press

and my band saw.

and my dewalt radial arm saw, aka the gut splitter that we've talked about before..

super compact yo...

here's my craftsman table saw

thanks for coming to my ted talk - im finna post this in my thread too..

Lastly - I finally got my https://abductionlamp.com/

I first saw these when I was a yout in the 90s at Universal City Walk at a shop called Sparkys - I wanted one so bad and then they discontuned them - now nearly 25 years later they are back and way cooler. I ordered this before covid!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That keyway is impressively bad but as long as it works oh well I guess.

I have the bench version of that drill press. Heavy as hell but works great for all the basic stuff I use it for.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

found the problem

this used to be one piece:

Thought 1: So: that's a Woodruff key for one side of the axle? What a relief!
Thought 2: it's like a shear pin for an outboard motor

LobsterboyX posted:

Lastly - I finally got my https://abductionlamp.com/

I first saw these when I was a yout in the 90s at Universal City Walk at a shop called Sparkys - I wanted one so bad and then they discontuned them - now nearly 25 years later they are back and way cooler. I ordered this before covid!

WHAT'S A YOUT

I just ordered one of those lamps. Because of you. The look on the cow's face is priceless.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Hey Lobster I will ask here since you probably have some knowledge. But have you ordered anything from Ecklers lately? I don't know normally use them for parts. But I ordered something like the 19th of last month. Got an order confirmation but never got a shipping confirmation. Tried calling them several times after hours on hold I just gave up. I also tried to email their customer service but they have not responded in weeks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Valt posted:

Hey Lobster I will ask here since you probably have some knowledge. But have you ordered anything from Ecklers lately? I don't know normally use them for parts. But I ordered something like the 19th of last month. Got an order confirmation but never got a shipping confirmation. Tried calling them several times after hours on hold I just gave up. I also tried to email their customer service but they have not responded in weeks.

I had a similar experience, I got half my order with no detail on if they had the other half. I half rear end followed up and eventually it came about a month later. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Valt posted:

I've heard a lot of this lately. Ecklers owns Mac's which does a lot of model a stuff, and they have been getting a lot of poo poo about their awful customer service, not to mention that they spam the same catalog with absolutely no changes, bad information and misleading products several times a year.

there's a physical brick and mortar not too far from me, and thats actually where I got my trailer hitch, that was no biggie, but I know how frusterating the customer service with these kinds of places can be

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

thanks for coming to my ted talk.
Holy poo poo, that's a surface plate. That starrett mic sign is flipping awesome. We have some kennedy boxes at the lab, mostly just kicking around, it's still weird to see them like that, full of crap that would otherwise clutter a table, with little other organization. Be careful with the hole saw in the middle picture, they're super SKETCH, we have a few of them, and tend not to use them much, but when we need them, we're happy to have them.

Can someone explain the drill sizes for screws in the Dimpling section? The cold sizes are larger than the nominal thread diameter and aren't the counterbore size for socket heads because 1/4" screws have a 3/8" head. What goes on there?

Also, we have a few Kennedy boxes kicking around the lab here:

(anyone need some tube socket relays?) We actually have two of the S-K tools branded ones, maybe they're a big deal to someone. Maybe not.

...Annnnnd some Kennedy clones- two of them with this Utica badge on them.

(It's not locked).

We have all kinds of crazy mid century High Volt science hardware mothballed here. Including a WALL of deathcaps.

E: Found more relics, 30's multimeter?, all you need is these two boxes:

Voltage dividers and variable resistors for some flavor of calibration:

There's a capacitive one too, which has the screws out of it:

Apologies if a post like this is beyond the scope of this thread. Once I got the camera out to get pics of the toolboxes, I figured I'd go big.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 7, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Funny story about that surface plate, and before anyone says anything I KNOW ITS TERRIBLE HOW I"M STORING IT. I was at an estate sale a few years back and I saw it sitting there - I obviously knew what it was, but didn't want to lead them on to what it was, so I said "what do you want for that big granite slab over there?" - "oh the cutting board? 10 bucks and I'll have Tommy help you put it in your truck TOMMMY GET OVER HERE AND HELP LIFT THAT BIG rear end CUTTING BOARD" - and thats the story of my surface plate. I'm probably a terrible owner of this thing, and I've used it for doing things that I know serious machinists would rip my nuts off for..

but at least i get lolz like this:

also your shop looks like Apex! if you dont know Apex is a surplus store turned prop rental after pretty much every movie prop that you love was built using parts from this place.

https://apexsurplus.com/

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 7, 2021

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

Funny story about that surface plate, and before anyone says anything I KNOW ITS TERRIBLE HOW I"M STORING IT. I was at an estate sale a few years back and I saw it sitting there - I obviously knew what it was, but didn't want to lead them on to what it was, so I said "what do you want for that big granite slab over there?" - "oh the cutting board? 10 bucks and I'll have Tommy help you put it in your truck TOMMMY GET OVER HERE AND HELP LIFT THAT BIG rear end CUTTING BOARD" - and thats the story of my surface plate. I'm probably a terrible owner of this thing, and I've used it for doing things that I know serious machinists would rip my nuts off for..

but at least i get lolz like this:

also your shop looks like Apex! if you dont know Apex is a surplus store turned prop rental after pretty much every movie prop that you love was built using parts from this place.

https://apexsurplus.com/

HOLY poo poo $10! and lol, cutting board.

I do not know apex, I really need to get out to the west coast (I live in the fingerlakes of NY) when I'm not just on vacation with the family. I could spend WEEKS getting lost in places like that. I actually added a few more pics, sorry for spamming your thread if it's a thing.

E:

See that vacuum tee on the left? With the conflat flanges? Yeah, we have a HOST of those here. We do Vacuum a lot. I work in a physics lab that produces a good number of the scientists at Sandia, Livermore, Los Alamos.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's big metal stuff!

My son works in smaller, more fragile stuff: scientific glass in Vineland, NJ. Runs a bench and a lathe.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Scientific. Right.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
"Hey, you guys wanna see some 'science'?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm consulting with Dr. Blaze iykwim.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

glyph posted:

Voltage dividers and variable resistors for some flavor of calibration:

There's a capacitive one too, which has the screws out of it:

Apologies if a post like this is beyond the scope of this thread. Once I got the camera out to get pics of the toolboxes, I figured I'd go big.
I should dig up my pile of old oceanographic gear. I've got a bunch of those decade resistance and capacitance boxes, 2 impedance bridges, and some truly analog gear: a depth and time recorder that features a Rockwell wind-up clock to drive the paper chart recorder with stylus.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Scientific. Right.

Wanna help me make a railgun?

glyph fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 9, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The sci-fi fan part of me does, the "americans don't need more guns" doesn't.

Eh, let's do it.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

saw this and it reminded me of this thread

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/d/portland-clear-lucite-table-with-light/7394751819.html

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ah man thats pretty rad! I dont think that that was the original application for the airplane tho - I have a few varietys of this casting too

this one is a modern made version, its just various lamp parts put together to make this cool thing. An old man was making them passively, my wife got this for me for my birthday a few years ago.

I've also got another one thats an original which is exactly the same casting as in the photo you just posted, but instead of a Z acrylic table its a full on vintage ash tray - I had it in our front parlor, but I had to take it out of there and put it in hiding so my son didn't knock it over.

Speaking of son, I'm either doing him a massive service, or disservice by letting him grow up like a 1930s era little rascal.

So on to the Buick - I had some time last week and I got it up in the air and pulled the wheels

The tires you see there are second hand older BFG Silvertowns, not exactly era correct, but the tires on the car were starting to let go, and these were $free.99 so

When I got the trim rings off the wheels I was pretty shocked at the amount of rust under them

I didn't take a pic because I was kinda in shock at how bad they were, but then again, this is my first rust belt car and as I'm going thru it, I really feel an empathy for those of you who deal with this on a daily. - I guess its not SO bad, theres lots and lots of surface rust, but the really bad stuff is mostly in the floor where water dropped in

I took the wheels and a few other parts over to the blaster to clean them up and while it was bad, it cleaned up... kinda ok. I'll have to run full caps on it, but whatever, finding the right buick wheels may be a bit difficult.

speaking of difficult

here's the thermostat housing from the buick, its upside down in the vise

this spring restricts water flow to the head and is a downright stupid design

the spring is thermostatic and allows the valve looking thing to float on the shaft - guess what, its stuck!

so I ham-fisted it out

and... I broke it

this isn't supposed to be out of there.. so there is a fix, but I decided to just put it down and focus on stuff that I wasn't going to break (foreshadowing?)

got the diz squared away, fully loaded with a pertronix

painted up the water pump, lookin good

my ready to go parts are growing...

Took the wife and kid to the Antique nationals drag race - pre 59 stuff, while there I was given an amazing gift by a friend

please please please, if you are on IG - stop by and give this guy some love

https://www.instagram.com/dare_devil_inc/?hl=en

He flat out refused to take any money from me, hell of a guy.

I also took the opportunity at the race to see some old friends and pick up this:

holy grail for banger guys

got it installed, was timing it in, accidentally left the key on for a bit too long and POP

Ugh

I just want to drive it again!

Oh and I just sold out all of my cool little vintage buick pins

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can you stick a (slightly more) modern wax pellet style thermostat in there? Seems like you might be able to find one the right size.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you stick a (slightly more) modern wax pellet style thermostat in there? Seems like you might be able to find one the right size.

What I really have to do is outlined on some mystery thread I've yet to read in depth - this fix requires getting rid of this valve all together and replacing it with a freeze plug with a 3/8 hole drilled in it to simply slow down the flow so it better diverts it in to the head.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

LobsterboyX posted:

ah man thats pretty rad! I dont think that that was the original application for the airplane tho - I have a few varietys of this casting too

this one is a modern made version, its just various lamp parts put together to make this cool thing. An old man was making them passively, my wife got this for me for my birthday a few years ago.

I've also got another one thats an original which is exactly the same casting as in the photo you just posted, but instead of a Z acrylic table its a full on vintage ash tray - I had it in our front parlor, but I had to take it out of there and put it in hiding so my son didn't knock it over.

I have one of those ash trays, it sits next to my door and makes a handy place for car keys and covid masks. I should try and find some propellers for it. I have always heard it called an ash tray, anyway, there doesn't seem to actually be a place to put ashes. Maybe it's missing that part. There originally was a light bulb in it that lit up the airplane's windows.

My mom made the fabric cover.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have one of those ash trays, it sits next to my door and makes a handy place for car keys and covid masks. I should try and find some propellers for it. I have always heard it called an ash tray, anyway, there doesn't seem to actually be a place to put ashes. Maybe it's missing that part. There originally was a light bulb in it that lit up the airplane's windows.

My mom made the fabric cover.

Ah, that one is pretty close to mine except the plinth isnt a circle, its more of a clover shape with the same details as the base, its got 2 tobacco storage jars and 2 ash trays , mine has a light in it too but I have to re-work the cord thats old as dirt. The super deluxe ones actually have a lighter attached - and they're super dangerous electric coils.

in other news, got a new distributor today - car wont run for crap

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

Mother fucker. You cannot get one goddamned break with that thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

new like nos? is the condenser all dried out and useless?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Ok so order of things

before race, having issues with distributor with pertronix unit

dies at race, car wont do high revs

after race - send it back

last weekend get a points unit NOS - the guy I got it from had it running on his car, said "its great" - he replaced the condenser and gapped the points.

gets to me, doesnt run great because..... I was using the wrong coil, plug wires and fouled plugs - car barely runs, wont rev, no power, trying to dial in timing - my timing light decided to give up.

I left the key on for a minute, low resistance coil also decided to give up and let the smoke out

today - got a new coil with correct resistance for points systems, found that the coil smoke also took out the fuse for my ignition circuit - debugged that

made up a new set of copper core spark wires - because... you know... points

I had to work so I let it sit

fed ex comes and delivers my original unit that has been rebuilt - but now I don't have the correct coil for that because I smoked it - placed an order. however it looks way better and promising than the last one I had from these guys, shaft tolerances good, fits good, set screw hits in the right spot... I have high hopes. Will attempt when the correct resistance coil arrives tomorrow

Attempted to get the points unit running again... I most likely burnt the contacts by leaving the key on for too long... this unit is from the 50s, NOS in box - the points themselves probably didnt like 12v instead of 6v - they're cooked - car runs, but wont go past idle circuit. felt like it couldn't keep up with the rpm's its been given

found this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pertronix-Ignitor-Kits-for-Mallory-4-Cylinder-Dual-Point-Distributors,35355.html - I'll order it

So by the end of this ordeal I should have one professionally built new unit with a pertronix and a custom curve for max power.... and a vintage unit upgraded with a pertronix that also has the vintage max power curve that is widely known as "the one to have"

in other news, still hosed, and if this doesn't go to plan, I'm going to stop loving with this crap and start building the baddest model b motor around. I'm working a deal for some serious parts that will really change the game... we'll see

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
out with the old

in with the new

_photo missing because I was too excited to try it_

and installed

I made new wires and did a nice job.. I know...

and....

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 24, 2021

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dammit man, we need audio!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This is just a moving picture show with no sound - what is reality even.
Might as well crack out the piano and pound out the honky tonk melody.

Good to SEE it running. Dying to hear it running.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Can I upload that to imgur as a video? if not you can see that video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVYsOvKPy4I/

maybe I should start a youtube?

in other news, I'm aggravated - my automotive endeavors seem to all be fouling up - more on this later, - and now all of a sudden, there are 2 more deals (not whole cars) that are hard to say no to... literally knocking at my door

from the tool thread:

Floor jacks - I know this has probably been covered already, but my old 70's Lincoln gave up in an impressive way -

I had my 42 Buick on jack stands front and rear, no wheels, I was going to put the wheels on it and needed an extra inch to get the wheels to fit, so I lifted it up off the jack stands and as I was about to take a knee to adjust the jack stands when I heard a weird sound and the car slammed back down on the jack stands in the front. there was no damage, but it scared the poo poo out of me, the arm of the jack slammed back down and rocketed the lever downwards- now the little ram part that the lever actuates is stuck in the down position and wont come back up even with some persuasion - manually lifting the arm, it stays up but seems to retract slowly, all of that without weight, but as soon as I stand on it, it collapses - the lowering valve seems to be functioning as normal.

The big question is... Do I find someone to repair this beastly thing, or do I just go plop down on a HF Daytona 3 ton? It's not a collectible or cool looking jack, and I very much need a jack to function in my shop. I'll also add that this jack has served me really well for 20 years, I got this from a guy I worked for as a teen as a "let this make you some money" thing, but its functionality has never been stellar, many pumps to get it to working height, it takes a lot of pressure to actually lift things so I knew this day would come, and because of that I never, ever, not one time, trusted any part of my body under a car it lifted without jackstands and a shake test, not even for a quick tire change, this fucker probably weighs 120 pounds too - the lever/handle is.. SOLID, not hollow if thats any indication of its duty level.

My only hold up is that I can feel the heavenly gaze of my depression-era generation grandfather saying "fix it lobsterboyx, its better than any of that new crap out there" - this literally just happened at 10p, so I don't even know if theres any places that could repair them, or if its something I want to get in to myself...

:shepicide:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
imo, why not both? the new jacks are soooo much nicer than the old ones, so if you're not super in love with that one, i would grab a new one.

however, you dont have to dumpster the old one right away. see if you can fix it, or have it fixed, at your leisure. if so, either you have a spare jack, or you find someone else to pass it on to, who can give it a good home

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Check garage journal, there's a bunch of people who rebuild jacks. It's probably a could of bucks in O-rings and seals at most.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I bought this Sunex 2 ton jack for working on my minivan.

I think they are taking a lot of leeway wrt how much of the jack is actually aluminum, and 'lightweight'. Maybe it is lighter than other jacks, no idea, but it's pretty heavy in absolute terms. Or maybe it just seems that way because I have to carry it up 2 flights of stairs (condo).

That said, the build quality and mechanism are very nice. Dual ratio pistons, so it'll go from zero to the frame rail in 2-3 pumps.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ryanrs posted:

I bought this Sunex 2 ton jack for working on my minivan.

I think they are taking a lot of leeway wrt how much of the jack is actually aluminum, and 'lightweight'. Maybe it is lighter than other jacks, no idea, but it's pretty heavy in absolute terms. Or maybe it just seems that way because I have to carry it up 2 flights of stairs (condo).

That said, the build quality and mechanism are very nice. Dual ratio pistons, so it'll go from zero to the frame rail in 2-3 pumps.

at only 50lb it's less than half the weight of my floor jack, so that seems pretty light (arcan XL35, 109lb)

looks like the 3-ton HF Daytona is somewhere in the middle at 79lb

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, yeah in that case maybe it is super light! It's annoying to carry up stairs, but not super hard. Not close to 100 lbs.

It is a good jack and I like it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Porque los nos dos?

Get a new speed-lift jack

Try & fix the old one. As noted, it's probably O-rings, but it could be a worn valve body.

I have a 45-year-old Brazilian jack that has a great release knob at the top of the handle. Sure, it takes a million pumps to get it up there, but it has strong (i.e light pressure) action & pin-point control on the release/lower.

These are basically bottle jacks laid sideways with a levering lifting assembly, it is well within your skill-set to take it apart and see if a couple buck's worth of seals will fix it, or if it's something more involved. Since the issue is time: get a new one & rebuild the good one when you are able to devote to it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 2, 2021

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Having 2 jacks is handy - so buy yourself a nice new one and then turn your current jack into number 2 (after rebuilding it at your leisure)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Having 2 jacks is handy - so buy yourself a nice new one and then turn your current jack into number 2 (after rebuilding it at your leisure)
Yep, until you start running out of physical storage space, treat buying new kit as an "and" not an "or" situation.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

My dad has (maybe had at this point, it's been a bit since I was working in the shop with him) that same model in his shop so I vote fix it. But also buy a new one for daily use, they got a looooot nicer in the intervening decades...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well, I pulled the trigger on the baddie from HF -

This thing is a bad rear end, and photos on the website don't do it justice - really if you are in the market for a Freight Train jack, you have to go see these in person, the smaller/cheaper ones really are just that, smaller and cheaper. Again, you can't tell that by looking on the website only. Compared to my obviously severe duty, 50 year old jack, this is the closest it comes. I'd be pissed if I had gone with the other one. I also loving love this sparkly red powdercoat - it fits the esthetic of my garage perfectly and reminds me of a custom car, its just missing whitewalls.

I also found a local joint that can repair my old one. I talked to a few old timers that said that there used to be a place close by that would completely restore your old jack for less than 100 bucks, sadly, that business model didn't last, but I still found a place that can at least get this old one running again.

Physical storage is a biggie, but I've made due storing my big blue one for so long, It wont be hard to make room for this new one along side it, and of course after a bit of deliberation, I do feel that this old one is worthy of some love. It probably wont be my go-to, but at least a spare would be nice to have, maybe that one gets "yard duty" when it comes to shoving cars around in my driveway.

This thing was given to me on the premise that it would make me money and be my portal in to building and maintaining my own cars, kinda a fatherly move from an old boss 20 years ago. Sadly that guy turned out to be a bit of a dick, and owes me a few paychecks to this day, but it still served its purpose quite well, made me a bit of money, and opened a bunch of doors for me with these cars. Maybe if working on hot rods is still cool in 15-16 years, I can give this one to my boy and he can go forward with it.

I threw my back out last Thursday from you know... sleeping, so I didn't get a whole lot done with the cars this weekend, and the Halloween festivities kinda swallowed today, but I did at least get to put one wheel on the 42, with a hubcap and I think I'm in love:

So this kinda sucks... because if you remeber I took the wheels over to be blasted and coated - well..... when I took them to the tire shop to have everything mounted up the powder coaters neglected to tell me that 2 of the wheels were so badly rusted, that some spots in the bead blew thru yet they continued the coating as if they didnt see it... :dafuq: HOWEVER - the spot with the holes is directly over the bead of the tire, so when the shop mounted the tires, they actually hold air and the holes are blocked off by the bead. SO I have to have a rather uncomfortable call with these doobers tomorrow. I'm hoping they will have some understanding on this situation.

Luckly, these 15" buick wheels are pretty easy to find because they used pretty much the same wheel from 1941 to well in to the 60s with the only exception being that the later you go, they don't have the poverty/dog dish cap clips anymore, but I'm a boss player and my buicks all get full wheel covers. I have 2 more clean wheels, but I'd really like to find 2 more to complete the set, so that I can have some peace of mind when it comes to driving this thing on some solid true rims.

bonus material:

The car cruise I started has been stagnating a bit, so me and the other regulars came up with a cool cruise up a pretty shady road, in a shady part of town, to a shady graveyard with a "gravity hill" We never actually found the gravity hill and if we did cross over it, it was probably nothing spectacular Back when we were in high school you'd go up there at night to learn what fear is - redneck neo-nazi tweakers on dirt bikes, gun shots, wild dogs, other animals and the fear of ghosts/zombies... par for the course in a place like that - anyway, we thought it would be cool to drive 30+ vintage cars up there... and it was very cool:

http://i.imgur.com/k6Xsds4l.mp4

please someone tell me how to imbed these clips so they play.. whats the BBcode?

Lots of people parked off the side of the road, up to no good, looked rather perplexed when that many vintage cars would magically appear, then turn in to a graveyard at 10p on a Friday night.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

please someone tell me how to imbed these clips so they play.. whats the BBcode?

Lots of people parked off the side of the road, up to no good, looked rather perplexed when that many vintage cars would magically appear, then turn in to a graveyard at 10p on a Friday night.

a url tag around the actual mp4 or gifv should do it, like this

https://i.imgur.com/k6Xsds4.mp4

the post preview doesnt embed it properly tho

anyway, that cruise sounds like a perfect halloween outing. i wish i had a group of friends up here that did stuff half as cool