Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

time for my monthly whining about slow progress. i know i need to eat more than i do but man, it's hard to overcome the mental habits around how much groceries to buy and how much to eat each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

carry on then posted:

time for my monthly whining about slow progress. i know i need to eat more than i do but man, it's hard to overcome the mental habits around how much groceries to buy and how much to eat each day

Yeah diet is the hardest part for me

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I posted about this in another thread but I've been going to a couple of yoga classes and the guy running one of them kept referring to upward facing dog as "up dog"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m eating a big pizza for lunch. need those carbs and grease to get strong 💪

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

I posted about this in another thread but I've been going to a couple of yoga classes and the guy running one of them kept referring to upward facing dog as "up dog"

doggy style

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yoga looks like legit a huge waste of time. maybe unless you’re trying to meet white chicks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

I’m eating a big pizza for lunch. need those carbs and grease to get strong 💪

dirty bulking, baby

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

dirty bulking, baby

keep posting. I’m bulking and lifting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I walked 20 miles in a week for the first time in months feels good man [except for my feet]

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I walked 20 miles in a week for the first time in months feels good man [except for my feet]

dude I walk my dog all the time and have horrible cracked heels

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

nm whats up dog with you?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Was up dog the first or does "and don't call me Shirley" count?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

hi, doing something is way better than doing nothing, so by that metric you're doing great :)

my perpetual advice: don't try to change too much at once, ease into it. frequent exercise begets good eating habits and vice versa, and they will come with time

c iron status: i feel like a jerk cause sometimes i wanna give people advice

i usually do when people are definitely about to hurt themselves, but people show up to the squat rack with shoes w heels and i'm like ugh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Share Bear posted:

hi, doing something is way better than doing nothing, so by that metric you're doing great :)

my perpetual advice: don't try to change too much at once, ease into it. frequent exercise begets good eating habits and vice versa, and they will come with time

c iron status: i feel like a jerk cause sometimes i wanna give people advice

i usually do when people are definitely about to hurt themselves, but people show up to the squat rack with shoes w heels and i'm like ugh

thanks, but i'm not new to the routine, i've been lifting pretty drat consistently for years which is great. i've just always mentally considered myself "fat" no matter how many measurements said otherwise so i always aimed to eat less than i burned. did that until earlier this year, when i made myself try to get more protein each day and i've seen results i can't explain away as luck or anything, so it's got me wanting more. it's hard to rewire the brain pathways that say "eating less than you burned is always preferred" though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plateaus are the worst thing about lifting.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

back to the gym this morning for the first time since covid hit. this is the longest break I've taken since I started lifting over a decade ago. gonna be a long road back

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

back to the gym this morning for the first time since covid hit. this is the longest break I've taken since I started lifting over a decade ago. gonna be a long road back

good poo poo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qirex posted:

Plateaus are the worst thing about lifting.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

been hitting the mountain bike hard, going from ‘total lard’ to ‘mildly fit’ is great because the progress is so rapid and obvious. like the first few rides i thought I was gonna die and now I can do 5kms with a 500m rise comfortably (lots of effort, but doable). and it’s only been a few weeks of riding a couple of times a week. it’s very motivating and addictive, beginning to ride every day now :woop:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

been hitting the mountain bike hard, going from ‘total lard’ to ‘mildly fit’ is great because the progress is so rapid and obvious. like the first few rides i thought I was gonna die and now I can do 5kms with a 500m rise comfortably (lots of effort, but doable). and it’s only been a few weeks of riding a couple of times a week. it’s very motivating and addictive, beginning to ride every day now :woop:

Hell yeah nice, I remember the same feeling when I started running years ago, going from “oh wow I can’t even make it around the block” to “oh wow a mile isn’t as bad as I remember when I was a kid” feels awesome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX posted:

Hell yeah nice, I remember the same feeling when I started running years ago, going from “oh wow I can’t even make it around the block” to “oh wow a mile isn’t as bad as I remember when I was a kid” feels awesome
the best feeling is when you get to the point where if you dont go running/biking/walking for a day or two you get all antsy and irritated

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

the best feeling is when you get to the point where if you dont go running/biking/walking for a day or two you get all antsy and irritated

Yeah winters are rough here for that reason, I hate treadmills

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I stupidly accepted a big rear end treadmill from my brother a couple of years ago and I’ve used it 0 times. I need to round up 3 people to help me get rid of it.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Hot take: people who watch tv while running on treadmills instead of using that time as a brief respite from the sensory overload of our modern lives are sickos

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Hot take: people who watch tv while running on treadmills instead of using that time as a brief respite from the sensory overload of our modern lives are sickos

hard agree, also with people constantly on their phone or posting about it to insta/twitter/whatever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my ADHD makes it literally impossible to exercise on a machine without some sort of additional stimulation. i will get so terminally bored I'll just stop exercising

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

my ADHD makes it literally impossible to exercise on a machine without some sort of additional stimulation. i will get so terminally bored I'll just stop exercising

because cardio sucks. try lifting, it’s hard to forget >200lbs on your back

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

same. idk if I have ADHD but I litearlly have to listen to a podcast while I work out or its too boring

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

That rocks, once you hit that point you're golden. I feel like poo poo whenever I don't go to the gym.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

im back in the swing of things after vacation and i can conclusively report that humans were not meant to do front squats

harder on my wrists than my legs lol

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i love to work out

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

barkbell posted:

i love to work out

Im gaining weight but my lifts aren’t going up helll yeah it’s winter and I’m in my late thirtiessssss

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

barkbell posted:

i love to work out

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ADINSX posted:

Im gaining weight but my lifts aren’t going up helll yeah it’s winter and I’m in my late thirtiessssss

if you do some pushups now, thats really a pr i guess so try that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like riding my bike zoom zoom

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

barkbell posted:

cant argue with that logic

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

barkbell posted:

microloading by eating a donut

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018