Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

blossommirage posted:

Hey, posters of WS teams past, how the gently caress do you cope with this? Like it's really overwhelming and terrifying.

I can't tell you, the 2016 postseason was the most miserable I have ever been following a sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

blossommirage posted:

Hey, posters of WS teams past, how the gently caress do you cope with this? Like it's really overwhelming and terrifying.

You hoot and holler and revel in the misfortune of the other team's fans. Then if if the team you like loses, pretend it's not a big deal, and that there are more important things in life to worry about than the outcome of a silly game. The holes in your drywall can be patched.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I knew we had 'em right where we wanted them after 8.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

blossommirage posted:

Mostly by cackling wildly about Even Year Bullshit

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Trump managed to make the chop look even more racist.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Trump doing the chop is funny as gently caress but I am glad that we only have video evidence of it from Twitter.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Spoeank posted:

Mostly by cackling wildly about Even Year Bullshit

Thank you for handing it off to the Cubs in 2016.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

blossommirage posted:

During a game: Be such a ball of nerves you’re incapable of enjoying the moment because defeat is around the corner
After a win: Consume every piece of media you can find
After a loss: Lament the inevitable series loss, tell yourself it’s just an exhibition and you’re proud of your team for winning their league
After winning the series: sit paralyzed in disbelief for a few minutes, then celebrate and consume every piece of media you can find
After losing the series: I wouldn’t know :smug: We’re never going back :negative:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sounds like the Braves will start Minter as the opener unless they run Chavez out there for an inning first. If things go bad at all then Davidson will soak up the punishment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dinosaurs! posted:

We’re never going back :negative:

At least you've been to the Series

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque and I went to every Cubs home playoff game in 2016 with the exception of NLCS Game 1, which we had to miss because ironically we went to a Cubs employee's wedding. Then we went to all 7 World Series games. Then we got to be in the first trolley in the parade, followed by standing in the first 10 rows of the rally at Grant Park, and then we got to take pictures while standing in front of the ivy on Wrigley Field and holding the trophy. It was the most insane month of my life. I feel like I experienced the most intense version of every possible emotion, from gut-wrenching anxiety, to despair, to unbelievable elation. I knocked so many things off my bucket list in that one month.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Winning the world series is fun OP. Enjoy it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

During a game: Be such a ball of nerves you’re incapable of enjoying the moment because defeat is around the corner
After a win: Consume every piece of media you can find
After a loss: Lament the inevitable series loss, tell yourself it’s just an exhibition and you’re proud of your team for winning their league
After winning the series: sit paralyzed in disbelief for a few minutes, then celebrate and consume every piece of media you can find
After losing the series: I wouldn’t know :smug: We’re never going back :negative:

This is a very good summary.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This has been a very surreal postseason, which is saying something coming off the covid season.

I spent game 6 of the NLCS at a Phish show tripping on acid with my wife and some friends, including the biggest Atlanta fan I know. He also bet heavily on the game so he was riding pretty high. He's now in Vegas on what I gather is several weeks deep into a sports betting streak fueled heavily by his own team. And for some reason he's staying in Vegas to see Phish tonight, drop big money on bottle service at clubs, and NOT fly to Atlanta to catch game 5 in person.

Baseball is a land of contrasts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched 2019 Game 7 in a packed bar with a bunch of friends and it was the most depressing night of sports that I’ve ever experienced, so tonight I’m just gonna set the candy out and watch a bunch of lovely horror movies while the MLB app blows up my phone with the bad news.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thank you for handing it off to the Cubs in 2016.

Even Year Bullshit is no match for Every 108 Year Bullshit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Even Year Bullshit is no match for Every 108 Year Bullshit
those Cubs teams were good though

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

This has been a very surreal postseason, which is saying something coming off the covid season.

I spent game 6 of the NLCS at a Phish show tripping on acid with my wife and some friends, including the biggest Atlanta fan I know. He also bet heavily on the game so he was riding pretty high. He's now in Vegas on what I gather is several weeks deep into a sports betting streak fueled heavily by his own team. And for some reason he's staying in Vegas to see Phish tonight, drop big money on bottle service at clubs, and NOT fly to Atlanta to catch game 5 in person.

Baseball is a land of contrasts.

I mean generally if you can go to a Phish show on Halloween that’s definitely the one to hit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

I mean generally if you can go to a Phish show on Halloween that’s definitely the one to hit
For sure, he's a big Phish fan and had planned on that show for months. But he's been to idk how many dozens of Phish shows including previous Halloween shows. They play Halloween nearly every year. Your favorite baseball team doesn't win a championship at home every year. Maybe he's still too shell-shocked by decades of Atlanta sports fandom idk.

or maybe they keep winning because he's at Phish shows :spooky:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 31, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Apparently they’re going with Davidson after all https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1454898223424868355?s=21

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1454900996275122179?s=21

The right move at least, if not replacing him with Diaz. We’ll see how it goes

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Holy poo poo I'm nervous about tonight. I feel like if Atlanta doesn't get it done at home the series will slip away in Houston.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't worry I've never heard of a team blowing a 3-1 WS lead.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sydin posted:

Don't worry I've never heard of a team blowing a 3-1 WS lead.

lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

absolutely wild that we've gone up against the hottest offenses in the league one after the other and every single time their bats just froze over

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If Atlanta closes it out tonight is there an obvious choice for series MVP barring somebody separating himself tonight?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If Atlanta closes it out tonight is there an obvious choice for series MVP barring somebody separating himself tonight?

the entire arm barn

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Soler?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I hope arm barn catches on for real for the long term

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah Soler leads the batting stats atm (but trails Riley's 9.7% cWPA with 9.0%), not by so much that someone couldn't overtake him, especially by going off in a clinching game. None of the pitchers have probably pitched enough to be considered but leading pitchers, and all Braves, in cWPA is actually... Luke Jackson at 10.3% by .01% over Ian Anderson! Figured Matzek's heroics might've put him over the top but he's in fourth behind Will Smith.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Soroka’s head is so tiny somehow it is very diverting https://www.mlb.com/video/soroka-on-world-series-rehab

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Soroka’s head is so tiny somehow it is very diverting https://www.mlb.com/video/soroka-on-world-series-rehab
He is super good on camera and should have a future in broadcasting

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Arm barn does own

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

He is super good on camera and should have a future in broadcasting

McCullers was really smooth getting interviewed as well, seems like he's destined for the booth.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Houston Asstros

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

barves beisbol club

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1454990612705517568?s=20

bees x1000