Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hollismason posted:

I wish there was still a Breaking Bad or a binge watch thread. I've been rewatching Breaking Bad and its so drat good.

make the thread its not illegal to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Google Butt posted:

make the thread its not illegal to do so

I couldn't do the thread justice. I'm on season 5. Its just been really good really really drat good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody reads the OP in megathreads just post one.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Shageletic posted:

Didn't she only talk to bill after the Impeachment to convince him to bomb serbia

To, under the thinking of the time, stop an ongoing ethnic cleansing campaign, yes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Khanstant I guess this means you gotta watch a little show called THE WIRE

lol i've heard only good things about this show but they also sound terrible from the outside. bad cops being bad in a deeply compelling way that's emotionally impactful? I just see myself getting too worked up if I watched it, already got a problem getting mad about anything and yelling at my representatives interns about it.

On the other hand, I do love people with badass voices saying cryptic or cynical things,

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
at least half the cast of the wire has a badass voice saying cryptic things

the wire isn't one of those shows where every cop is a corrupt alcoholic and everything is grimdark. it's cool because it's a crime show that spends a lot of time not on the cops. don't watch it if you don't wanna feel emotions though by seasons 3-4 things can hit pretty hard. and there is a good amount of watching people self-sabotage and you're like ugh don't

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

lol i've heard only good things about this show but they also sound terrible from the outside. bad cops being bad in a deeply compelling way that's emotionally impactful? I just see myself getting too worked up if I watched it, already got a problem getting mad about anything and yelling at my representatives interns about it.

On the other hand, I do love people with badass voices saying cryptic or cynical things,

It's less about the cops being bad then the state of policing in America is fundamentally broken. Like there are plenty of "good" and "bad" cops in the show but the entire institution of policing is painted as a failed system. Bad people occasionally doing good things, or good people doing bad things but to catch crooks is like the best possible outcome.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 31, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh so it's Brooklynn 99's last season

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s def a show that wants you to get worked up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't do the thread justice. I'm on season 5. Its just been really good really really drat good.

I got you fam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983521
There you go BrBa thread fresh from the mint

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Wire isn’t just about cops or crime either, much like Sopranos it’s a portrait of the modern era - how the system, from government to the bottom, is built to oppress people and how anyone trying to push against it ends up being crushed by endless corruption.

It certainly won’t make you feel good about the state of the world, but it’s one of those very few shows where the themes are so universally well-executed and also crushingly relevant, which is why everyone recommends it constantly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Wire is about family, politics, unions, business, the school system, the media, and everything in between. It isn't about "good cops" or "bad cops." Its not Brooklyn 99 or The Shield. There's a reason it has the reputation it has.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I don't think weighing the Wire on the axis of it being pro cop or anti cop is the right way to look at it.

The Wire is more cynical about policing than most other shows, but it's recurring theme of morality in individuals vs veneration of institutions gives way to more redemptive character portrayals for even the cops. Contrast that with the Shield which despite being far less anti police, was more willing to address how destructive individual police can be in their communities and ultimately came down far harder on its characters than the Wire ever did.

This stuff is all on a gradient. Something like Law and Order, despite being about the necessary actions men and women take to serve the system itself and to protect American society, is so individualized in terms of character portrayals that it can hop back and forth in showing good or bad cops, good or bad lawyers, and sympathic or unsympathetic criminals, and not feel completely schizophrenic unless you look at it on aggregate.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 31, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think the Wire is especially interested in judging its characters - be they cops abusing their powers or psychopathic murderers. Its more about "Ok, what are you going to do now?" Like again and again the response to "bad cops" is "the system's probably not going to punish you, and even if it did it wouldn't change anything about everyone else doing this, so now that you've done this thing that you know is wrong what are you gonna go next? Are you going to keep doing that and teach others to or are you going to be better?"

Like yeah, its a show about how hosed up the system is. But its also a show how we're all living it and have choice after choice of what to do. There's characters who make a difference, there's characters who get screwed tragically, there's characters who just become the worst.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

Predicting that Walt poisoned Brock in the live watch thread and people saying "No loving way" is my greatest accomplishment in life!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Predicting that Walt poisoned Brock in the live watch thread and people saying "No loving way" is my greatest accomplishment in life!

Ironically Bryan Cranston wasn’t told that until that season’s finale, meaning he played Walt’s excuse speech when Jesse confronted him as completely sincere. Which is kind of brilliant since it further underscores just how masterful a liar Walt is, even to himself.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Ironically Bryan Cranston wasn’t told that until that season’s finale, meaning he played Walt’s excuse speech when Jesse confronted him as completely sincere. Which is kind of brilliant since it further underscores just how masterful a liar Walt is, even to himself.

I love that scene. (BreakBad spoilers) Walt's "THINK about it... it's BRILLIANT!" line describing what he wants Jesse to believe is Gus' evil machinations when it can be read as him patting himself on the back for how diabolical he is and lying to Jesse's face about it when he has a gun to his head, knowing Jesse discovered the truth and convincing him it's a lie. It was so good. I didn't know they didn't tell the Cran Man about it being a lie beforehand, that's great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Goddamn just finished Breaking Bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it would be funny if you watched the movie immediately because the actors got really fat.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Some amazing shots on Chucky this week. loving good show.

Glad it's doing really well in the ratings as well. Channel Zero team strikes again.

I'm honestly amazed at how much I'm enjoying it. I was afraid it was going to be some cheesy schlock that was constantly calling back to the movie series, but no, it's its own thing so far and it's genuinely good. I'm a bit apprehensive about the second half since apparently that's when the movie characters will start appearing, but I've got a lot more faith in it than I once did. I'm also hoping we get some answers, like what was Chucky doing in the five year gap in Seed's ending, what did he do between Seed and Curse, so on and so forth. I'm also curious if we'll see any more of the spell used in the last movie.

I did enjoy Chucky referencing Glen/Glenda though. What I enjoyed even more was seeing all the people getting pissed at "Chucky going woke." I mean I get political stuff being shoved into shows for no reason can be annoying, sure, but if you can watch that scene and think that Chucky is doing anything but using that to manipulate Jake, I don't know what to tell you. Chucky probably murdered Glen, and besides that I'm pretty sure he expressed disgust when the prospect of "being both" was brought up in Seed. So, yeah, context matters folks.

Also, I'm that rare person that's read all of the Chucky comics and both of the novelizations, so I was curious if they'd change the backstory established in the novelization of Child's Play 2. For those who don't know, in the book it's made clear that Chucky was raised by a single mother who was extremely abusive, and then one day he was finally pushed too far and strangled her. I really liked that and for years considered it canon, but this new explanation is even better. At first I thought it was gonna be something lame like "Chucky killed the guy who killed his parents!" but no, he still kills his mother, but this time its for no reason other than he wanted to.

Aside from that I also finally got around to Mr Inbetween's third season, and I'm sad we'll probably not be getting anymore of Ray Shoesmith. Finished up the first season of Barry today and I'm trying to decide if I want to rush to the second season or if I want to ration it out to prolong the enjoyment.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mr Inbetween was great. Barry as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Barry was great. Mr Inbetween as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm watching Invasion anyway. Holy poo poo, that British oval office school kid makes me irrationally angry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not just you but a reminder to everyone to not use this word.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm watching Invasion anyway. Holy poo poo, that British oval office school kid makes me irrationally angry.

I enjoyed the latest episode.

We finally got a look at the aliens and I’m enjoying the JASA plot line as well

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So does Invasion look like a $200 million show?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

So does Invasion look like a $200 million show?

The camera work is great, but i have a feeling if that’s how much they spent then we’ve got a ways to go before we see where it went. That being said, I really don’t care about a show’s budget as long as im enjoying it and so far its the inverse of Foundation which started great and is now pretty slow and tedious.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Matt Zerella posted:

They showed the aliens?
I've been FF'ing through the episodes because the only interesting parts are the JASA and Afghanistan bits.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

isaboo posted:

They showed the aliens?
I've been FF'ing through the episodes because the only interesting parts are the JASA and Afghanistan bits.

In the latest episode. All I'll say is pay attention in the Afghan hospital basement scenes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Not just you but a reminder to everyone to not use this word.

Uhhh, what? I don’t ever plan on using it but this seems excessively censor-y.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Wait what?

poo poo, now I have to watch it in full. I kept scrubbing through everything except the Middle Eastern and Japanese scenes, because they're the only ones that seemed to remotely deal with the subject at hand. Where exactly did it show?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you’re ff’ing through half of a show, why even bother watching it at that point? It’s clearly not enjoyable, so why waste the time?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's only so much scifi on TV. Gotta make of it, what I can. Maybe the actual scifi stuff is decent enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Uhhh, what? I don’t ever plan on using it but this seems excessively censor-y.

People can make their point without using that word which some people find very offensive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

People can make their point without using that word which some people find very offensive.

It’s literally just a swear word. You might as well ask people to not say ‘gently caress’. I know Americans get really hand-wringy over it for some reason, but this isn’t an American-only site, so you can’t ask everyone to abide by American cultural nonsense. I like you lots muscles but this…..this is not a good road to go down

e: vvvvvv yo that’s sick

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kal Penn has come out as gay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, it’s still a gendered slur. American or not, it’s easy to understand why some folks aren’t cool with it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what?

poo poo, now I have to watch it in full. I kept scrubbing through everything except the Middle Eastern and Japanese scenes, because they're the only ones that seemed to remotely deal with the subject at hand. Where exactly did it show?

Watch the second afghan Hospital basement scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

JaddaCaddra posted:

I did enjoy Chucky referencing Glen/Glenda though. What I enjoyed even more was seeing all the people getting pissed at "Chucky going woke."

He's not woke, he's tolerant of one specific thing because his kid is. "I'm not a monster". There's plenty of monsters in real life who make exceptions for a minority group they or their loved one belongs to, it's far from "woke".