Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

One thing I didn't get is why Paul fights Jamis at all, aside from plot set up reasons. Jessica being a BG she could've easily murked him (and probably every Fremen in that crew) in a matter of minutes right? She neutralized Stilgar in no time at all.

I chalked it up to her being pregnant, dehydrated, etc but it makes it seem like the BG weirding way isn't quite as significant in the movies, same as the Fremen getting their combat prowess dialed down to add tension.

Also it is very clear that Paul "winning" at the end is a very bad thing. His intent is slightly better but invoking the "desert power" thing (which is such a dad line, I chuckled every time someone said it) to me read as him leaning into the Atreides hubris that fell his father and grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

One thing I didn't get is why Paul fights Jamis at all, aside from plot set up reasons.

He doesn't have a choice. Jamis challenges him to a duel to the death that cannot be revoked once challenged, by Fremen law.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Complications posted:

Long story short though was that the move to Arrakis was something that Leto thought was the set up to a more political death blow, not the final lowering of his head to the not quite literal execution block.

yeah he was expecting conflict with the Harkonnens, and suspected that it was a plot by the Emperor to weaken both houses. At one point Baron Harkonnen says that the attack on Arrakis- with the emperor's help- cost him all the profits they'd made from Arrakis in the whole time they'd been there. Even without Yuweh's betrayal, it wasn't something Leto could reasonably anticipate

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Every sci-fi fiction has endless "why don't they just ______" about various things. Dune sidesteps that a lot by having every single thing every single person does be part of very very very important set of social rules passed down generation to generation, shared by everyone in the universe and enforced by both cultural and supernatural means.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To add to Leto's motivation, there's a scene I hope they filmed where Leto confesses to Paul just how big a gamble the move to Arrakis was. Leto is not as confident as he makes himself appear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you use The Voice to command the sand worms?

Sand worms don't have ears :shrug:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you use The Voice to command the sand worms?

No. But they respond well to dance.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fart Car '97 posted:

He doesn't have a choice. Jamis challenges him to a duel to the death that cannot be revoked once challenged, by Fremen law.

And Paul owns him several times and tries to make him yield, but that law also prevents that from happening so it literally forces his hand to kill him.

Which is also portrayed as sad because iirc one of the visions has Jamis possibly being his friend and mentor.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mat Cauthon posted:

One thing I didn't get is why Paul fights Jamis at all, aside from plot set up reasons. Jessica being a BG she could've easily murked him (and probably every Fremen in that crew) in a matter of minutes right? She neutralized Stilgar in no time at all.

I chalked it up to her being pregnant, dehydrated, etc but it makes it seem like the BG weirding way isn't quite as significant in the movies, same as the Fremen getting their combat prowess dialed down to add tension.

Also it is very clear that Paul "winning" at the end is a very bad thing. His intent is slightly better but invoking the "desert power" thing (which is such a dad line, I chuckled every time someone said it) to me read as him leaning into the Atreides hubris that fell his father and grandfather.

The goal was to integrate with the Fremen, Jessica just using the voice to murder a Fremen patrol does not accomplish that. Following their rules to win the duel does.

So she kills the Fremen patrol... and they are locked out of the seitch in the deep desert and die of heat stroke?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Feldegast42 posted:

And Paul owns him several times and tries to make him yield, but that law also prevents that from happening so it literally forces his hand to kill him.

Which is also portrayed as sad because iirc one of the visions has Jamis possibly being his friend and mentor.

On the other hand, the fact that he's a bit more confident about joining the Fremen after suggests that Jamis's death has made him think the future is in flux, and that he might be able to avoid his destiny.

Maybe he'll meet Anakin Skywalker at some point and get to ask him how trying to prevent a terrible prophecy usually works

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I definitely had some trouble too when we saw it at home. When we saw it in theaters though their speakers were balanced really well I guess as we were able to understand everything clearly.

We found the dialogue levels so low that we had to do a live remix with the volume control - dramatic scene VOLUME WAY UP, action scene VOLUME WAY DOWN. It is annoying that the mixing in so many modern movies require either this or turning on subtitles to get intelligible dialogue.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

All the book readers here are telling me the jihad thing isn’t a positive for Paul but I really think you need to be a book reader to get that.

As somebody else has mentioned, it's not as big of a deal until the second novel. The jihad hasn't even begun when the first book ends, and both previous adapations ended on something of a positive note.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mat Cauthon posted:

He fought Jamis for the entirely in-character reason that he was challenged to a duel to the death. If he backed down, good luck ingratiating himself into a warrior society that's really into personal duels of honor to the death.

Also, while Jessica is a complete and utter badass, I don't think you have a very good idea of how hard it is to fight 20 dudes with god drat knives. Like, sure, that happens in movies sometimes, but actually think about how hard it would be to fight a bunch of people with knives who are trying to straight up murder you (and PS we know they also have at least one gun and these are also the people who you're banking on to help you out).

Like, it's not a crazy thing to happen in a movie ever, cause fiction can do whatever it wants, but there has been no set up for Jessica doing that kind of thing. It's a buck-wild assumption to make that she could do that. Especially because it's only a few minutes removed in the narrative from the biggest badass we've seen in the movie (Duncan) dying heroically in a last stand against like 6 dudes. Were you really expecting her to turn into Neo or something?

You've gone beyond the "it's a flaw if the character doesn't do what I think is optimal" and you're firmly in the "why doesn't The Crucible end with John Proctor drawing his way out of the hanging like Harold and the loving Purple Crayon?????"

I liked the movie, but it's not perfect and I came here to have a discussion about it. I'm staying cause every page or so some goon says the most absolutely bonkers poo poo based on the loving LSD shadow puppets that live in their heads.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

uXs posted:

For a movie that pays this much attention to detail, it was very weird to see the Shadout Mapes sheath the Crysknife without drawing blood.

Especially since later on, they do get this correct.

She does this in the book too, because she's overwhelmed by the religious revelations and forgets. Jessica is the one who brings it up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Visions are not always literal. In my mind that vision was fulfilled. Jamis did the best thing he could for Paul teaching him the lesson he needed to learn. Basically that the desert is without mercy and you can't spare someone because you lack the strength to make the tough choices. It also establishes Paul as a man worth the Fremen's time and effort to help.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mossyfisk posted:

She does this in the book too, because she's overwhelmed by the religious revelations and forgets. Jessica is the one who brings it up.

quote:

Mapes returned knife to sheath, said: "This is an unfixed blade, my Lady. Keep it near you. More than a week away from flesh and it begins to disintegrate. It's yours, a tooth of shai-hulud, for as long as you live."
Jessica reached out her right hand, risked a gamble: "Mapes, you've sheathed that blade unblooded."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Here's a quick and surely point-missing logistical question: in the books, how do the Fremen physically get off the planet to do their Jihad? Extorting the Guild with the threat of cutting off the spice? Getting blasted on drugs and flying the ships themselves?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a nuanced point about the duel as well - Jamis is pissed off at Paul because Paul knocks him down and gets his gun and that's embarrassed him, but he isn't challenging Paul, he's challenging Jessica knowing that Paul will have to be her champion. Paul is compelled to accept the challenge because the alternative is his mom gets left behind to die.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah, Paul bullies the Guild into doing whatever he wants.

His threat is that he will destroy all spice forever via a complete bullshit method that makes no sense, don't worry about it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

Here's a quick and surely point-missing logistical question: in the books, how do the Fremen physically get off the planet to do their Jihad? Extorting the Guild with the threat of cutting off the spice? Getting blasted on drugs and flying the ships themselves?

I think it's definitely the former, Paul was holding all spice production hostage and so the guild had to comply. Of course they were so uneasy about this that then dune messiah happened

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Vagabong posted:

Which is a shame that the films kinda fails to communicate Paul's fear of the future he sees, because his attempts to avoid it adds tension to a story where the protagonist becomes omniscient halfway through.

This is basically the (or, a major one) theme of dune and dune messiah, it’s kinda a gently caress up

Hopefully it’s made clear in the second movie.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

There is an answer but it is a MAJOR spoiler

Paul learns of a way to poison the spice creation process so that no more spice is produced ever again. He outright threatens the Guild that if they do not comply with his rule and ferry his armies that he will do this and destroy humanity's capacity for interstellar travel.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think Jessica should have just fought off the entire Harkonnen attack to begin with, and saved herself the later trouble. :viggo:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I liked the movie, but it's not perfect and I came here to have a discussion about it. I'm staying cause every page or so some goon says the most absolutely bonkers poo poo based on the loving LSD shadow puppets that live in their heads.

I'm not nitpicking it. I loved the movie and am not criticizing the plot, it's just a point of curiosity. Take it down a notch.

Alchenar posted:

There's a nuanced point about the duel as well - Jamis is pissed off at Paul because Paul knocks him down and gets his gun and that's embarrassed him, but he isn't challenging Paul, he's challenging Jessica knowing that Paul will have to be her champion. Paul is compelled to accept the challenge because the alternative is his mom gets left behind to die.

I mean, that's the thing - Paul didn't have to accept, his mom could've killed Jamis herself just as easily. Jessica was easily the most lethal person there in a single combat scenario.

That said, it makes sense why it went down the way it did. Paul's reasoning as much as about wanting to protect his mother as needing to prove himself to the Fremen. Which speaks to how he falls back on the usual political scheming stuff even if he (somewhat) knows better. I wonder if that would've come through stronger had they included more about his mentat training.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Stilgar says Jessica isn't allowed to duel, I think I remember.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Crespolini posted:

Yeah as a Bene Gesserit, Jessica is a holy woman to the Fremen and thus cannot fight in duels. They can still be challenged though and an appointed champion has to fight on their behalf, which is exactly what happens.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Not really an answer to this, but regular old FTL *does* exist in the dune universe separate from and pre-dating spice.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Crespolini posted:

Ah okay. I guess the BG must've really prepared for all situations with their religious prophecy seeding.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

He fought Jamis for the entirely in-character reason that he was challenged to a duel to the death. If he backed down, good luck ingratiating himself into a warrior society that's really into personal duels of honor to the death.

Also, while Jessica is a complete and utter badass, I don't think you have a very good idea of how hard it is to fight 20 dudes with god drat knives. Like, sure, that happens in movies sometimes, but actually think about how hard it would be to fight a bunch of people with knives who are trying to straight up murder you (and PS we know they also have at least one gun and these are also the people who you're banking on to help you out).

Like, it's not a crazy thing to happen in a movie ever, cause fiction can do whatever it wants, but there has been no set up for Jessica doing that kind of thing. It's a buck-wild assumption to make that she could do that. Especially because it's only a few minutes removed in the narrative from the biggest badass we've seen in the movie (Duncan) dying heroically in a last stand against like 6 dudes. Were you really expecting her to turn into Neo or something?

You've gone beyond the "it's a flaw if the character doesn't do what I think is optimal" and you're firmly in the "why doesn't The Crucible end with John Proctor drawing his way out of the hanging like Harold and the loving Purple Crayon?????"

Let it go IMO

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

In the movie Yueh is just blackmailed, but if I recall correctly in the book he is mentally conditioned and literally incapable of harming his masters so the Harkonnen had to reprogram him. Can somebody remind me how they did that?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mat Cauthon posted:

She can 1v1 anyone and win but she can't 1v20 or whatever and win no matter how cool weirding way is

also in the books the Fremen understand what the voice is. They call it "witchcraft" and you can only voice one person at a time cuz you have to figure out the pitch/tune to use etc. So it's not AoE

Stilgiar basically goes "yeah I know you can beat any of us but the rest of us will just kill you"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chernabog posted:

In the movie Yueh is just blackmailed, but if I recall correctly in the book he is mentally conditioned and literally incapable of harming his masters so the Harkonnen had to reprogram him. Can somebody remind me how they did that?

By blackmail. (Its kinda silly, which is probably why it was cut- there's also an aspect that Yueh is rationalizing to himself that the Atreides are doomed and he's actually giving them an out by letting Paul and Jessica escape)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Dueling jamis was also a nice loop back to the beginning of the movie when Gurney told him "you fight out of necessity", also the gom jabbar scene (it's a test where failure means death in both cases)

the movie was very underwhelming in how it considering that it's the climax of Paul's journey in the 1st half of the book. The miniseries from 20 yrs ago did a better job at choreographing it

In movie Jamis seem to know he's hosed like 5 seconds into the fight in the miniseries/books it's way drawn out so he feels like a real threat

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 1, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm not nitpicking it. I loved the movie and am not criticizing the plot, it's just a point of curiosity. Take it down a notch.

I mean, that's the thing - Paul didn't have to accept, his mom could've killed Jamis herself just as easily. Jessica was easily the most lethal person there in a single combat scenario.

That said, it makes sense why it went down the way it did. Paul's reasoning as much as about wanting to protect his mother as needing to prove himself to the Fremen. Which speaks to how he falls back on the usual political scheming stuff even if he (somewhat) knows better. I wonder if that would've come through stronger had they included more about his mentat training.

I’m not defending the movie, it does a good job of that all by itself.

I just like making fun of people who do demonstrably stupid things, like wonder about things the movie obviously showed or just make poo poo up.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
I reread dune 1+2 and then rewatched this and I'm warming up on it a lot. It's not how I would prefer this narrative portrayed but I do think it's a successful, if slightly clunky, adaptation of it. I'm still fairly skeptical this aesthetic can survive into book 2+ though without it becoming very 'superhero film' but part 2 should be cool.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also come on shadeout mapes drew the crysknife w/o shedding blood!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Police_monitoring posted:

I reread dune 1+2 and then rewatched this and I'm warming up on it a lot. It's not how I would prefer this narrative portrayed but I do think it's a successful, if slightly clunky, adaptation of it. I'm still fairly skeptical this aesthetic can survive into book 2+ though without it becoming very 'superhero film' but part 2 should be cool.

I don't see how you can possibly adapt book 2/3 at all into a movie meant for general audience

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Not really an answer to this, but regular old FTL *does* exist in the dune universe separate from and pre-dating spice.

I don’t think it does. Prior to spice, didn’t they rely on advanced, AI supercomputers which are now outlawed and religiously banned?

Typo posted:

also come on shadeout mapes drew the crysknife w/o shedding blood!

Check, like, 10 posts up thread...

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

I don't see how you can possibly adapt book 2/3 at all into a movie meant for general audience

Lots of big CG battles is my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Typo posted:

the movie was very underwhelming in how it considering that it's the climax of Paul's journey in the 1st half of the book. The miniseries from 20 yrs ago did a better job at choreographing it

Which is really why it feels like the movie just ends. They could have either made a bigger thing out of the duel to make it feel like more of a climactic moment (ie Fellowship of the Ring merging the ending of the book with the beginning of Two Towers and making the whole thing feel bigger) or done more to sell it being a huge character moment for Paul.

They did neither so it feels like the movie ended because they'd reached the halfway point of the book rather than because there was a cinematic conclusion.