Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don’t think it does. Prior to spice, didn’t they rely on advanced, AI supercomputers which are now outlawed and religiously banned?

They have FTL, then they have instantaneous space folding. the space folding requires spice to give humans prescentience, although a computer could do it as well.

There is a bunch of times in the book where they mention various groups without access to spice having to travel months to get somewhere. To move warships or come back from somewhere. And space folding only got invented after dune was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I did think it was kind of funny that losing to Jessica demonstrates weakness, but you can't fight her directly. It seems a little contradictory: either she's a legitimate warrior and losing to her in battle signals weakness and she may also accept challeneges in combat, or she's a spooky weirding woman and being bested by her is trickery that exists outside of the rules of their honor system.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The whole jamis fight sequence is not a highlight of the book honestly. Chani is actually the worst part but it's all a little sloppy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I did think it was kind of funny that losing to Jessica demonstrates weakness, but you can't fight her directly. It seems a little contradictory: either she's a legitimate warrior and losing to her in battle signals weakness and she may also accept challeneges in combat, or she's a spooky weirding woman and being bested by her is trickery that exists outside of the rules of their honor system.

Sayyadina or no, she's a water fat offworlder. Those people pretty much all suck at fighting by fremen standards. Stereotypes and prejudice are still bullshit in Dune.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The film also makes it super obvious that Stilgar thinks Jamis is being a huge dumbass about the whole thing

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

Sayyadina or no, she's a water fat offworlder. Those people pretty much all suck at fighting by fremen standards. Stereotypes and prejudice are still bullshit in Dune.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way to square the circle other than to say it illustrates a contradictory prejudice. Which is actually "fine" as an answer, especially since Jessica and Paul would still be forced by necessity to accommodate the Fremen custom.

AnEdgelord posted:

The film also makes it super obvious that Stilgar thinks Jamis is being a huge dumbass about the whole thing

Also a very good point: it's a real "c'mon man" moment where Jamis is technically within his rights but is clearly being a petty dick.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xiahou Dun posted:

Stop making poo poo up to nit pick a movie. It's embarrassing and you're dumb.

Someone who enjoyed Dunc: "I loved it, best I've seen in awhile etc I have a minor nitpick but I acknowledge it as such and I am interested in more dune" :)

DUNC fan: "gently caress you!!! You're sooo stupid!" :reject:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Idaho isn't a deep cover spy, he's a guy who's good at fighting and sexing the ladies

Is he really? He kinda dies and gets cucked a lot for a supposedly sexy badass. Almost Boba Fett-esque perception vs reality.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Chernabog posted:

In the movie Yueh is just blackmailed, but if I recall correctly in the book he is mentally conditioned and literally incapable of harming his masters so the Harkonnen had to reprogram him. Can somebody remind me how they did that?

StashAugustine posted:

By blackmail. (Its kinda silly, which is probably why it was cut- there's also an aspect that Yueh is rationalizing to himself that the Atreides are doomed and he's actually giving them an out by letting Paul and Jessica escape)

Yeah, upon re-reading the book after seeing the movie this past weekend, I realized they didn't break his conditioning, they subverted it. By dangling his wife's torture and uncertain status over his head, and letting him know the extent of the plot against the Atreides, the Harkonnens got Yueh to hate the Baron enough to twist his sense of loyalty--he saw getting the Baron within killing distance and giving Leto the tool to do the job as the best way for him to serve his master, when they were both doomed anyways.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 1, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blood Boils posted:

Is he really? He kinda dies and gets cucked a lot for a supposedly sexy badass. Almost Boba Fett-esque perception vs reality.

Wuh? :confused:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's when someone fucks your wife while you sit in the corner and watch. Duncan likes what he likes.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
The Duncan stuff get's so whacky

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah, upon re-reading the book after seeing the movie this past weekend, I realized they didn't break his conditioning, they subverted it. By dangling his wife's torture and uncertain status over his head, and letting him know the extent of the plot against the Atreides, the Harkonnens got Yueh to hate the Baron enough to twist his sense of loyalty--he saw getting the Baron within killing distance and giving Leto the tool to do the job as the best way for him to serve his master, when they were both doomed anyways.

They don't know that's what they did though, that's the interesting thing about 'the way to beat the unbeatable conditioning is blackmail'. Piter and the Baron don't understand what they've done to Yeoh because they don't understand how love works, and that's Piter's undoing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Duncan getting exceptionally mad at a bit of light play between two Fishspeakers never fails to amuse me, because it's just so loving dumb of a hangup.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just realized we didn't get to see Jessica give Drunken Idaho the stern talking-to, would've been a great scene between Ferguson and Momoa

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The way they handled Jamis getting mad in a dumb way about their very specific fremen rules is going to be a nice foreshadow to (sequel book spoilers) Paul heading into the desert at the end of messiah if they ever get there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Duncan getting exceptionally mad at a bit of light play between two Fishspeakers never fails to amuse me, because it's just so loving dumb of a hangup.

Doesn't the book basically "OK Boomer" him for that decades before that was a meme?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sean10mm posted:

Doesn't the book basically "OK Boomer" him for that decades before that was a meme?

Yeah, Moneo basically sighs and says, "whatever man, get over it." The point isn't that lesbians are icky or any such nonsense. It's that Duncan is an outdated stick-in-the-mud.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

stev posted:

Which is really why it feels like the movie just ends. They could have either made a bigger thing out of the duel to make it feel like more of a climactic moment (ie Fellowship of the Ring merging the ending of the book with the beginning of Two Towers and making the whole thing feel bigger) or done more to sell it being a huge character moment for Paul.

They did neither so it feels like the movie ended because they'd reached the halfway point of the book rather than because there was a cinematic conclusion.

I don't like agreeing with Ben Shapiro but his whole "feels strangely 15 minutes too long and 2 and a half hours too short" in his Dune review described it pretty well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

I don't like agreeing with Ben Shapiro but his whole "feels strangely 15 minutes too long and 2 and a half hours too short" in his Dune review described it pretty well.

Which is odd, because I thought he liked dry things.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Randalor posted:

Which is odd, because I thought he liked dry things.

:pusheen:

He actually loved the movie but completely glossed over who the Fremen are analogs for

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sean10mm posted:

Yeah Moneo goes "You've had my dick in your mouth, you know."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ben Shapiro does movie reviews? I thought he was just a hate preacher.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think its a bad adaptation because not once did I hear the line "mood is for cattle and loveplay"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

stev posted:

Ben Shapiro does movie reviews? I thought he was just a hate preacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfQwGiO66U

apparently

He's really bad at reviewing movies obviously lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“Let’s see what nazis think of Dune” excellent.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jisforjosh posted:

apparently

thanks

said no one at all ever

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just realized we didn't get to see Jessica give Drunken Idaho the stern talking-to, would've been a great scene between Ferguson and Momoa

that scene's only relevant if you have the plot of Piter trying to trick Hawat and Leto into thinking Jessica's the traitor, and Leto pretending to believe it. not surprised to see it gone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?

Finally time to make a real survival game!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FPS with melee combat elements for shielded enemies.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Chernabog posted:

In the movie Yueh is just blackmailed, but if I recall correctly in the book he is mentally conditioned and literally incapable of harming his masters so the Harkonnen had to reprogram him. Can somebody remind me how they did that?

Even in the book the Harkonnens don't quite know how they succeeded in reprogramming him; it's a plot hole.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jisforjosh posted:

Lookit this guy who reads Ben Shapiro reviews and has no good movie opinions

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jisforjosh posted:

apparently

Can you nsfw that face

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

thotsky posted:

Even in the book the Harkonnens don't quite know how they succeeded in reprogramming him; it's a plot hole.

I always figured that the conditioning was kinda bullshit but they'd managed to get byvon reputation. Everyone knows the conditioning is unbreakable, ergo nobody wastes any time trying to break it when easier targets are available.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Blood Boils posted:

Someone who enjoyed Dunc: "I loved it, best I've seen in awhile etc I have a minor nitpick but I acknowledge it as such and I am interested in more dune" :)

DUNC fan: "gently caress you!!! You're sooo stupid!" :reject:

He took out a bunch of sardaukar in this film in a tragic last stand, though I remember his death being a lot less dignified in the book

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vagabong posted:

I always figured that the conditioning was kinda bullshit but they'd managed to get byvon reputation. Everyone knows the conditioning is unbreakable, ergo nobody wastes any time trying to break it when easier targets are available.

I had figured since it was imperial conditioning and the emperor was in on the plan, there was some kind of official bypass they were able to use

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

2house2fly posted:

I had figured since it was imperial conditioning and the emperor was in on the plan, there was some kind of official bypass they were able to use

Nope!

quote:

When my father, the Padishah Emperor, heard of Duke Leo's death and the manner of it, he went into such a rage as we had never seen before...he had been aroused to this passion not by concern over the dead Duke but by what that death implied for all royalty.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

jisforjosh posted:

apparently

I'll balance this take with Zizek
https://youtu.be/8KjFeY1aKbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It probably would've made more sense if Gurney was the traitor. Maybe to save his sister or something. Also would've added a layer to his training scene with Paul.