Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, it’s still a gendered slur. American or not, it’s easy to understand why some folks aren’t cool with it.

It’s not a gendered slur in the vast, vast, vast majority of the world. You cannot ask a worldwide forum to abide by the rules of a country of prudes. I mean, you can, but it’s just gonna make people think you’re being ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Bitch is also a gendered slur but no one seems to be a little bitch about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not a gendered slur in the vast, vast, vast majority of the world. You cannot ask a worldwide forum to abide by the rules of a country of prudes. I mean, you can, but it’s just gonna make people think you’re being ridiculous.

I really don't think it is a big ask to have people not use the word oval office.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In Australia the term's used affectionately, among men and women to refer to men and or women. There's also a class component to the use of the term in Australia and the UK.

I'm not comfortable with the word being censored because Americans have taken a moral stance on it, given that, as Esco points out, we're an international forum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that’s exactly it. As stated, I don’t plan on using the word - I don’t especially have any personal affection for the word - but Idiom is 100% right here. It’s just not a thing I think is reasonable to request.

e: for what it’s worth muscles I know you only had good intentions and I’m not judging you

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you’re ff’ing through half of a show, why even bother watching it at that point? It’s clearly not enjoyable, so why waste the time?

ffing owns + ill do what I want

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

"This isn't considered lovely where I am so you have to deal with it where you are" is not in fact inclusive, it's lovely. There are a lot of places that are cool with a lot of slurs, doesn't make them not slurs!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Truspeaker posted:

"This isn't considered lovely where I am so you have to deal with it where you are" is not in fact inclusive, it's lovely. There are a lot of places that are cool with a lot of slurs, doesn't make them not slurs!

The n-word is a slur worldwide. The c-word is a slur in a country that slaps NC-17 ratings on movies that show the face of a woman being sexually pleasured. There’s a huge, huge, difference, and I’m unhappy with the disingenuous argument presented in your post.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Truspeaker posted:

Yeah, except in certain contexts it's just not a gendered slur, and that's the problem here. Cultural imperialism is lovely too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Truspeaker posted:

Sure thing Ms Glampers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just put it up to a vote

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s Halloween so rather than debating this silliness we should all be scaring ourselves silly with the scary picture contained in this clip

https://youtu.be/k_CoSpZoXK4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://gilga.com

https://twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1454982584669126657?s=21

he’s right

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

He's not woke, he's tolerant of one specific thing because his kid is. "I'm not a monster". There's plenty of monsters in real life who make exceptions for a minority group they or their loved one belongs to, it's far from "woke".

Oh yeah I agree, I wasn't saying that he was. What I quoted is what I've seen people say when they're whining about it, and I find it hilarious they're getting so pissy over something like that in the first place. Not just for the reason you said, but also like I said in the spoilered part, I'm pretty sure he isn't even genuinely being tolerant, he's just using the fact to gaslight this kid into trusting him. After all this comes on the heels of him being confronted and lying about what he did earlier in the episode. Seems like it was just a manipulation tactic on his part.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, except in certain contexts it's just not a gendered slur, and that's the problem here. Cultural imperialism is lovely too.

In Australia the term's used affectionately, among men and women to refer to men and or women. There's also a class component to the use of the term in Australia and the UK.

I'm not comfortable with the word being censored because Americans have taken a moral stance on it, given that, as Esco points out, we're an international forum.

These are literally the exact same arguments that have been used for every single slur before people eventually accepted that punching down isn't a great look and that slurs cause harm whether you mean it or not. human being, retard, friend of the family, tranny, the same cycle has happened every single time. I get that you don't mean anything against women when you use it, but your intent doesn't actually matter here. I swear, I really do understand your position! When I was a teen me and all my friends were calling everything gay and calling each other fags completely casually, and it wasn't until I realized that I myself wasn't straight, that I realized that how using "gay" as a synonym for "bad" was making it so much harder to accept myself.

edit for content:
also yes Chucky is great. Visually just really great, which I wasn't expecting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 1, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t know Australia used the n-word, the r-word, the homophobic f-word, and the transphobic t-word as affectionate terms for people to call each other in the past. What a crazy country!

Also posting those words uncensored in order to ‘make a point’ or whatever is unbelievably gross, dude.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So's using oval office when people say they have a problem with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Yeah this is getting snipped

Yeah nah. I see what you're saying, but your argument misses cases where terms have been taken back by marginalised groups, or otherwise reappropriated -- "queer" and "bitch" for instance, were once slurs, but now have new, context dependent meanings that don't retain their previous negative valency. "C**t" is another.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 1, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

So's using oval office when people say they have a problem with it.

I haven’t actually used the word once. Unlike you, who just did!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just say clit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven’t actually used the word once. Unlike you, who just did!

I never said you did. You are fighting super hard for an issue that as is simple as "Looks like some people have an issue with this, guess I'll just not do it around them" and then moving on with your life though. I'm not sure this is a hill worth dying on, but it's your life to live. Climb on if you feel like it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
well I certainly wouldn't call this :airquote: couch :airquote: chat... :crossarms:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao at how Ash vs Evil Dead ends because of the cancelation. It fits with the ending of Evil Dead 2 though :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm surprised at how many people like Chucky, I found the first episode to be really cringy.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Mulva posted:

I never said you did. You are fighting super hard for an issue that as is simple as "Looks like some people have an issue with this, guess I'll just not do it around them" and then moving on with your life though. I'm not sure this is a hill worth dying on, but it's your life to live. Climb on if you feel like it.

Maybe don't try and claim the moral high ground when you have multiple probes for using sexist and ableist language

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

drkhrs2020 posted:

Maybe don't try and claim the moral high ground when you have multiple probes for using sexist and ableist language

Oh I'm a monster, and I actively say things to hurt people because it's fun. That's sort of the point though, this is the sort of poo poo someone like me would do.

Is that who you want to be in your life?

e: Actually looking at your rap sheet, yes. Game recognize game.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 1, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Let the goon with the clean rapsheet be the one to cast the first stone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay. This slap fight is loving dumb

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here are some good shows I started yesterday:

Swagger - latest Apple drama based on Kevin Durant’s teen life. Really good stuff and great performances from the three leads, one of which is Ice Cube’s son (another is Quvenzhané Wallis). It’s clearly going for a teen audience so it can be a little overwritten but is mostly a really great depiction of youth basketball.

Blindspotting - Starz show based on the 2018 movie, following Jasmine Cephas Jones’ secondary character from the movie as she’s unexpectedly thrust into a new situation. The movie is excellent and so is the show. The first two episodes are super funny and so full of energy. I think this one’ll rank high in my year-end list and I give it my highest recommendation. You don’t need to have seen the movie at all but I recommend it too cos it rules and is barely over 90 minutes.

Also I’m very sure after 303 that Succession is gonna be my #1 show on the poll this year. This season is shaping up to be a real classic.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah..... I'm pro c-bomb guys. It's the best swear word there is. Mods are outta line.

And holy poo poo, Succession is my number 1 with a rocket this year.

Edit: Holy poo poo! It's about time we got some Atlanta news! The wait has been crazy long

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really enjoying Fairfax on Amazon. It's a sweet animated satire about clout chasing and protestor culture, which is also loving funny and very nicely animated. Might not be my top ten of 2021, but probably my top twenty.

Anyone seen it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd rather die than watching anything about clout chasing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJ1cw6mohw

Ayyy it's the brain spider guys from tales from Jabba's Palace

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJ1cw6mohw

Ayyy it's the brain spider guys from tales from Jabba's Palace

Hope the show follows through with putting Bib Fortuna's brain into one.

Trailer was... all right, I guess? Technically, it looks great. But still don't really know what the general plot is, beyond "Boba Fett tries to become a nice gangster." And that definitely isn't really all that interesting to me. But I'm going to watch it anyway, so they did their job.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Really enjoying Fairfax on Amazon. It's a sweet animated satire about clout chasing and protestor culture, which is also loving funny and very nicely animated. Might not be my top ten of 2021, but probably my top twenty.

Anyone seen it?

that sounds very bad thank u

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/boydhilton/status/1452953171081449480

10/10 amazing news

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

well I certainly wouldn't call this :airquote: couch :airquote: chat... :crossarms:

more like casting couch chat

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

What's that show like, I like British cop shows generally

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

The only British cop show I can recall is an American show about an American cop in Brittan, "Keen Eddie". I kind of wish that one had gotten a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

It’s dark as hell but really, really good. One of my favourite British dramas of all time. It was clearly a huge influence on Mare of Easttown, too - some major elements are straight-up lifted from HV.