Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fletcher posted:

Saw this in IMAX last Friday and loved it. Apparently they don't check tickets at the movies anymore? You just walk right in and sit down. Only 4 people in the theater when I walked in, of course somebody was in my seat. Oh well, I sat a few seats over and the theater only got to like 10% occupancy anyways. Not like I was going to make a stink about my seat in a mostly empty theater.

The sound was incredible, loved the intensity of when they used the Voice. The sense of scale of the big ships was super cool. It made me realize how much I missed seeing movies in a theater, nothing quite like the huge screen and killer audio setup. I wish the navigators made an appearance though.

I want to see it again in IMAX! Looks like Wednesday 11/3 is the last showing in my area though, I am bummed it doesn't have a longer IMAX run!

Yeah my area had what felt like a very short IMAX run and it was an incredible experience. By the time I convinced my group of friends to watch it the run was over and they were like "eh we'll just see it streaming" and I really do think this is the kind of movie you'll like less if you watch it on a tv while you fiddle about on your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?
Dune Generations, the cancelled MMORTS, would've been an interesting tweak on the Dune II style RTS gameplay.

Baron von Eevl posted:

FPS with melee combat elements for shielded enemies.
Frank Herbert's Dune, a videogame tie-in based on the SciFi mini-series, is basically this, except it's 3rd-person shooter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gimme a Dune dating sim

Marry Chani? YES [ ] NO [ ]

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Betray the Duke to join your wife? Y/N

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Gimme a Dune dating sim

Marry Chani? YES [ ] NO [ ]

quote:

Marry Chani?

>No

But thou must.

Marry Chani?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Oh my God.

I just realized what was going on with Piter's "pet" and why it understands English.

Jesus loving Christ.

:nms:
It's Yueh's wife...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, marrying Chani wouldn't be a "But though must" option. After all, concubines are canon in-universe. gently caress Chani, marry the Emperor's daughter, kill the Baron. Wait, were we playing Marry/gently caress/Kill?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Oh my God.

I just realized what was going on with Piter's "pet" and why it understands English.

Jesus loving Christ.

It's Yueh's wife...

Didn't the spider have lots of arms? Shouldn't it be multiple people?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah my area had what felt like a very short IMAX run and it was an incredible experience. By the time I convinced my group of friends to watch it the run was over and they were like "eh we'll just see it streaming" and I really do think this is the kind of movie you'll like less if you watch it on a tv while you fiddle about on your phone

Any time there’s a sci fi movie I want to see, especially if it’s big budget, I feel like the only way to see it is in the theater. I don’t get why you’d want to watch it on your lap top or some poo poo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Dr.Radical posted:

Any time there’s a sci fi movie I want to see, especially if it’s big budget, I feel like the only way to see it is in the theater. I don’t get why you’d want to watch it on your lap top or some poo poo

A big TV with good sound

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah but why not a bigger screen with better sound?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Oh my God.

Jesus loving Christ.

It's Yueh's wife...

That's an interpretation of it. The Baron's subsequent conversation with Yueh undercuts it somewhat, or at least I choose to believe so because :stonk:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oh my God.

Jesus loving Christ.

It's Yueh's wife...

I really don't think that's the case. Yueh's motivations and end are almost exactly like they play out in the book, which is very clear that his wife is just being regular-ol-tortured and Yueh knows full well that the bargain ends in them both being killed, aka released from their agony. The only departure is that in the book Pieter stabs Yueh in the back, as opposed to the Baron killing him. The spider is there purely to drive the point home that the Harkonnens are truly hosed up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Collapsing Farts posted:

A big TV with good sound

I don't have £3,000 to spend on a home cinema setup (that still wouldn't come close to an actual cinema).

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah but why not a bigger screen with better sound?

Costs more and you gotta share the experience with people you dont know :o

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The spider is some sort of genetic fuckery, cuz it looks like multiple human parts stretched out and put together;

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's really interesting how they took something small from the book like glowglobes following people around for illumination and extended that into these palatial spaces with no artificial light that's not on a character. Almost like the aristocracy in this 10,000 year old empire wander around in their own tombs. (Themes!) I would never have thought of that.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Collapsing Farts posted:

The spider is some sort of genetic fuckery, cuz it looks like multiple human parts stretched out and put together;

yeah its probably some Tleilaxu thing

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, for all we know, that spider-thing is actually native to the planet, or some Tleilaxian abomination.

E:fb

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's really interesting how they took something small from the book like glowglobes following people around for illumination and extended that into these palatial spaces with no artificial light that's not on a character. Almost like the aristocracy in this 10,000 year old empire wander around in their own tombs. (Themes!) I would never have thought of that.

Yeah I'm looking forward to picking up more of this in the books, going to be my first time reading the series. Anything where the subtext is decline of civilizations is my jam, weird that I didn't get into it more as a teen but also probably for the best because now I know to leave the god awful books by the Herbert the Younger alone.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's kinda the main theme of God Emperor with a healthy dose of unreliable narrator, since it's told in the context of the emperor's personal archive that has been discovered in an archeological dig in a post- Imperial time period.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Dunc questions
According to this thread, you don't exist, and are just an illusion conjured by sinister bookreaders like myself.

Arrakis is the sole source of spice. Spice is a drug that extends lifespan and gives some people precognitive powers. It's addictive, and withdrawal is lethal. Many of the richest aristocrats are addicted to spice. The Emperor and the Guild restrict access to Arrakis.

The Spacing Guild has a monopoly on faster-than-light travel. After computers were outlawed, the Guild learned how to navigate FTL travel by training Navigators, who are marinated in spice until they become mutants. The Guild needs tons of spice, and if they go down, they take the entire galactic economy down with them.

Everyone has spaceships, including warships, but only the Guild can move anything between systems. If you're planning something (like a war) that conflicts with their interests, they'll just set shipping rates so high you can't afford them. Even when they allow it, it's extremely expensive, which is another reason that assassination and commando operations are still important in a universe with spaceships and laser cannons.

So understanding this, you can understand why the Atreides can't ship satellites and orbital defense batteries to Arrakis.

Regarding infantry in Dune: in that scene in the film, the Atreides troops are trying to get to their ships. When that hope is gone, they retreat but get cut off by the Sardaukar paratroopers. The Imperial/Harkonnen/Guild conspiracy can't afford to just bomb the city flat because it's the only city on the only planet that produces spice. (Two cities in the book, but nevermind.) The resulting production crisis would also make the conspiracy difficult or impossible to conceal. To this end, they need to take the palace and confirm that their enemies are captured or killed.

This stuff is why Dune is so hard to adapt. Every faction is interrelated and has complex motivations, big secrets, and knows some of the other factions' secrets but not all of them. And there are chess-like setups where they could do a thing, but it would expose a fatal weakness.

Kurzon posted:

How were the Harkonnens going to cover up the fact that the Emperor orchestrated the whole thing to eliminate the Atreides? There were Sardukar on Arrakis.
Access to Arrakis is tightly controlled, so with the Emperor and the Guild in on the conspiracy, there's little way for information to get out. There are a few Atreides survivors, and some natives and smugglers who could say what happened, but that's all in the realm of stuff that can be safely denied.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Now that I think about book 2, dune Messiah, there's actually a lot of nuance to the politics after Paul wins and establishes the Atreides theocracy in
place of the old secular imperium

-Paul's Jihad of conquest kills 61 billion people and he himself is utterly disillusioned with his own empire and the ideology he built on a lie. He literally says he's worse than Hitler (yes lol)
-Paul loses control over his own imperial cult of divinity (the Fremen would just say god is testing them even if he claims he isn't a god)
-more and more power of the imperial throne passes to the Priest-Bureaucrats (the Qizarate) who actually run the empire (and eventually a rebelling faction within it is strong enough to drop a stone-burner on him)
-He's facing a conspiracy from the remnants of the power players from the Corrino empire (the Bene gesserit, tleilaxu, Ix, guild, the Corrino themselves), who wants to overthrow him
-said conspiracy is also allied to a conservative faction within the Fremen themselves, who oppose Paul for taking the terraforming project too fast
-until end of book 2 lack of a clear heir and the closest thing to a heir he has is literally insane
-The Empire was probably always 2-3 defections by key players (like Stilgar) away from collapsing

-Paul's hold on power is actually pretty shaky and book 2-3 sees the power structure he constructed collapse and turn on itself, until Leto II shows up and builds an even more brutal but ultimately stable government with the goal of doing what amounts to 4000 years of accelerationism to destroy space-feudalism.

It's kinda ironic I guess how even though Paul is superhuman his subordinates are ultimately less loyal and reliable than Duke Leto's own retainers on Caladan

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 2, 2021

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Collapsing Farts posted:

Jesus gently caress that thing is horrifying if it's some human spider creature that they created.

Like the backside looks like a perineum with the legs removed and smoothed down. And didn't it make some muffled moan when trying to eat?

That poo poo is seriously :nms:

I really think it's either Yueh's wife or she suffered a similar fate.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

Now that I think about book 2, dune Messiah, there's actually a lot of nuance to the politics after Paul wins and establishes the Atreides theocracy in
place of the old secular imperium

-Paul's Jihad of conquest kills 61 billion people and he himself is utterly disillusioned with his own empire and the ideology he built on a lie. He literally says he's worse than Hitler (yes lol)
-Paul loses control over his own imperial cult of divinity (the Fremen would just say god is testing them even if he claims he isn't a god)
-more and more power of the imperial throne passes to the Priest-Bureaucrats (the Qizarate) who actually run the empire (and eventually a rebelling faction within it is strong enough to drop a stone-burner on him)
-He's facing a conspiracy from the remnants of the power players from the Corrino empire (the Bene gesserit, tleilaxu, Ix, guild, the Corrino themselves), who wants to overthrow him
-said conspiracy is also allied to a conservative faction within the Fremen themselves, who oppose Paul for taking the terraforming project too fast
-until end of book 2 lack of a clear heir and the closest thing to a heir he has is literally insane
-The Empire was probably always 2-3 defections by key players (like Stilgar) away from collapsing

-Paul's hold on power is actually pretty shaky and book 2-3 sees the power structure he constructed collapse and turn on itself, until Leto II shows up and builds an even more brutal but ultimately stable government with the goal of doing what amounts to 4000 years of accelerationism to destroy space-feudalism.

It's kinda ironic I guess how even though Paul is superhuman his subordinates are ultimately less loyal and reliable than Duke Leto's own retainers on Caladan

Spoilers for a movie that will never be made

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

https://twitter.com/tr0v3r_/status/1455598015872442372

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the hands that freak me out. They're just human enough.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Collapsing Farts posted:

Didn't the spider have lots of arms? Shouldn't it be multiple people?

It has 8 arms, it's called an Arraknid.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Saw this flyer explaining Dune from Japan:

https://imgur.com/a/zDXBlFU

Original PDF
http://eiga-chirashi.jp/210908/21090800006.pdf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yueh’s wife got a big a big ol butt

I know I told you I’d be true

But Yueh’s wife got a big ol butt

So I’m leavin you

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
maybe the spider represented the Baron's fear of being controlled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Flappy Bert posted:

With the Atreides being assigned Arrakis, what does Leto envision his plan as being? He thinks he's being set up to fail the spice production quotas, and his plan is to make peace with the Fremem to maximize production. Assuming that all goes well in a year or two, what then?
There's been a conversation about Duke Leto and how he's kinder than the Harkonnens, but for his own benefit. I think this illustrates the real difference between the Atreides and the Harkonnens.

In the Harkonnen mind, there are two kinds of people in the universe: Harkonnens, who exist to enjoy power and pleasure, and everybody else, who exist to be ground into the dirt so that Harkonnens can enjoy power and pleasure. The Atreides quickly deduce that there are at least 10 times as many Fremen as the Harkonnen estimate, and the Emperor knows this too. The Harkonnen make this mistake because they consider the native people beneath them.

Leto, on the other hand, believes in this deep concept of power that goes beyond noblesse oblige. He understands human beings as part of a global ecological system, so that every aspect of their society and culture is part of an organic whole. To establish his own people on Arrakis, he's willing to assimilate into Arrakeen culture, even though he doesn't know much about the Fremen and can't fully grasp the implications of that. (At the same time, he's still a patriot and an aristocrat, so he's looking to assimilate the Fremen into the Imperium. As it stands, they don't see themselves as part of a greater cosmopolitan galactic society, and why would they?)

Leto is a threat to the Emperor because he's trained his military to the point that they can fight the Sardaukar man-for-man. He's also opposed the Emperor in the legislature, while always playing the part of the loyal opposition. Leto's not trying to overthrow the entire Imperial system and rule the galaxy from Arrakis--which is what Paul eventually does--but he is trying to put the Emperor in a position where the Atreides are both too militarily powerful and too valuable to the entire economic system to oppose. At that point, the best move for everyone (except the Harkonnens, gently caress them) is for the Atreides and the Corrinos to intermarry.

Leto knows that the Emperor sees him as a threat and is setting him up to fail. But as far as he knows, that would mean failing to keep up spice production, losing face among the other Great Houses, losing the Arrakis fiefdom, being marginalized, and then being destroyed by the Harkonnens with the Emperor's tacit approval. But if he can root out the spies and traitors and get spice production going strong, the other Great Houses won't tolerate anyone loving with that, and he'll be in an unassailable position. An alliance with the Fremen would allow him to both recruit the best fighters in the galaxy and improve spice production in dozens of ways.

What neither Duke Leto nor Baron Harkonnen understand at first is that the Emperor is aware of the potential of the Fremen. He's seen the attrition rate of Sardaukar vs. Fremen, and it's easy to see how Arrakis trains people through hardship the same way he trains his Sardaukar. Once he's on Arrakis, Leto and Hawat quickly calculate that if everything goes smoothly with the Fremen, they could have an army both larger and better than the Sardaukar within a generation. They fail to predict that the Emperor, the Harkonnens, and the Guild are willing to ally to destroy the threat they pose to the status quo sooner rather than later. (And the Bene Gesserit are willing to go along with it.)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yueh got stitched onto that spider for sure. That's my called shot for part 2. Happy ending, together forever :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yueh got stitched onto that spider for sure. That's my called shot for part 2. Happy ending, together forever :)
Gonna need a lot of more than stitches, since his head is chopped off with a knife and then unceremoniously dropped on the floor.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is Paul the only person in history to actually ever shack up with his dream waifu

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Gonna need a lot of more than stitches, since his head is chopped off with a knife and then unceremoniously dropped on the floor.

Hey no one said the head would be alive when it was stitched on.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
One of the biggest changes from the books and first film, iirc, is that the characters aren't already spice addicts with glowing blue eyes. Basically, everyone should be a spice addict.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Life uh finds a way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I forget in the book after Kynes dies and the time jump is the position of imperial planetologist left empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Halloween Jack posted:

Leto knows that the Emperor sees him as a threat and is setting him up to fail. But as far as he knows, that would mean failing to keep up spice production, losing face among the other Great Houses, losing the Arrakis fiefdom, being marginalized, and then being destroyed by the Harkonnens with the Emperor's tacit approval. But if he can root out the spies and traitors and get spice production going strong, the other Great Houses won't tolerate anyone loving with that, and he'll be in an unassailable position. An alliance with the Fremen would allow him to both recruit the best fighters in the galaxy and improve spice production in dozens of ways.

Thanks, this is a great post and really helps, along with the previous. I guess the final thing effecting my read is whether or not I should take Leto as seeing how he can make the winning move with the Fremen and set Paul up, or if he thinks that he's going to end up with Princess Corrino himself - the difference between a politico who, for moral and other reasons, knows how to make the best movie, and the same with a solid dose of personal megalomania.