Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I enjoyed the first season of Broadchurch which was a fairly standard murder mystery. Now season 2 feels more like a crime drama since nobody new has been killed. They're bringing in the past case that haunted the detective in the first season but it won't feel as murder mystery-ey when there's really only one suspect and it's unlikely for new evidence to emerge. gonna keep watching though i might burn out since i'm a lot more in the mood for murder mystery stuff than just "child murder tears families apart" type drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Metropolis posted:

I enjoyed the first season of Broadchurch which was a fairly standard murder mystery. Now season 2 feels more like a crime drama since nobody new has been killed. They're bringing in the past case that haunted the detective in the first season but it won't feel as murder mystery-ey when there's really only one suspect and it's unlikely for new evidence to emerge. gonna keep watching though i might burn out since i'm a lot more in the mood for murder mystery stuff than just "child murder tears families apart" type drama.

Season 3 was much better than 2.

Edit: it's a new crime mystery (not murder though).

Feel free to skip the rest of 2 and go to 3. Maybe read the wiki summary of 2 if you want. I did.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 2, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/Brocklesnitch/status/1455351345993502720

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That is absolutely a 30 Rock skit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lol they're all actors. It's getting closer and closer to the Joe Schmo show only without a shred of irony

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the hell is up with November. Here is all the poo poo I want to watch that starts

Dexter
Trek: Discovery
Wheel of Time
Dr Who
Riverdale
Cowboy Bebop
Hawkeye

And then December has The Expanse and Witcher.

gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dexter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dexter was randomly renewed for another season

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Dexter was randomly renewed for another season

I think they're questioning who wants to watch a new season of Dexter after the absolute dumpster fire the last few seasons of that show became.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some Tv Exec decided there just wasn't enough suffering in the world

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSEfx6D8mA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

GreenNight posted:

What the hell is up with November. Here is all the poo poo I want to watch that starts

Dexter
Trek: Discovery
Wheel of Time
Dr Who
Riverdale
Cowboy Bebop
Hawkeye

And then December has The Expanse and Witcher.

gently caress.
I just wanna thank you for this post. I've been waiting for half of these and needed to add them to a very special list. :) I had actually looked at my calendar earlier today and after Succession didn't have anything to watch until March (Orville) so I felt like I was missing something.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Daedo posted:

I think they're questioning who wants to watch a new season of Dexter after the absolute dumpster fire the last few seasons of that show became.

I will watch it despite hate watching the last few seasons. I mean how can you not be curious about this. At best it hits some of the highs of the early seasons, at the worst it is a train wreck that we can all watch together.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I will watch it despite hate watching the last few seasons. I mean how can you not be curious about this. At best it hits some of the highs of the early seasons, at the worst it is a train wreck that we can all watch together.

At worst it's just mediocre but so many people watch it the show gets renewed again.

But otherwise yeah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm sure this season of Dexter will rectify all the mistakes of the last season, and he'll get caught and convicted with the death penalty and have to face all his friends and he certainly won't escape leaving things open for another season of the sequel series

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Medullah posted:

I'm sure this season of Dexter will rectify all the mistakes of the last season, and he'll get caught and convicted with the death penalty and have to face all his friends and he certainly won't escape leaving things open for another season of the sequel series

Given that Dexter is the only returning character, probably not going to be a lot of facing his friends

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Azhais posted:

Given that Dexter is the only returning character, probably not going to be a lot of facing his friends

There is no way Deb isn't turning up as a ghost, at the very least. Decent money is on the kid turning up too, and I dunno, Ella or Angel if they want to put someone in danger randomly for pathos.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yep they've already squandered the chance for the only truly redeemable plot line

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

There is no way Deb isn't turning up as a ghost, at the very least. Decent money is on the kid turning up too, and I dunno, Ella or Angel if they want to put someone in danger randomly for pathos.

Deb pops up in the behind the trailer thing. She looks exactly the same

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Deb and the kid are turning up 100%, they already said so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the Eternals is going to be the first Marvel bomb, because it looks dull and it includes a whole bunch of characters even I don't know about. And I know about all the spider men and wolverines and such. But! Media clickbait narratives about the end of the MCU will be quickly put to bed when spiderman does gangbusters in December. I have foreseen it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That remake of The 4400 seems to be airing. Anyone watched the first two episodes so far?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody watching CSI: Vegas? I watched the first ep and my DVR has been recording them since but I'm not sure I actually care enough to watch them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
havent seen the remake yet but I did just learn this from wikipedia

quote:

Creator Scott Peters has stated that the series was originally titled "A Light in the Sky", but looking for something unique he decided to "play around with numbers" instead and arrived at "4400" because it "just sounded cool" and "was a very round number with two 4s and two 0s".[4]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

"was a very round number with two 4s and two 0s"

Fact Check: True

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

Anybody watching CSI: Vegas? I watched the first ep and my DVR has been recording them since but I'm not sure I actually care enough to watch them.

It's not even a remake is it? The commercials make it look like they just brought everyone back

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's just Brass, Grissom and Sidle. And Hodges for some odd scenes. And I figure they're gone end of the season, assuming this generates enough viewership to keep going. Passing the torch kinda poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

That remake of The 4400 seems to be airing. Anyone watched the first two episodes so far?

It's alright. Maybe a little slower than I would like. Or I am just misremembering the original series and the pacing there. The pilot was okay but the second episode was much stronger. I was surprised it didn't air as a 2 parter because it definitely would've helped hook people.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm likely the only one that cares, but the S9 premiere of The Curse Of Oak Island is tonight. Woohoo!

"Now that's a top pocket find. A bobby dazzler!"

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm enjoying it so far.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that Baldwin bears no responsibility for creating the conditions which led to him killing a cinematographer who was operating the cameras after the union crew walked off over safety violations, lack of pay, contract violations, and whatever this is:

https://www.insider.com/rust-production-mocked-camera-crew-requests-accommodation-alec-baldwin-shooting-2021-11

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, all the "oh i feel bad for alex" stuff felt in poor taste after it was revealed he was involved in the management engaging in the stuff people were walking out and complaining about. This just lights that aflame since it was aggressive, intentionally lovely working conditions they paid more to make fun of than to resolve.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That with the T-Shirts is real petty poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that Baldwin bears no responsibility for creating the conditions which led to him killing a cinematographer who was operating the cameras after the union crew walked off over safety violations, lack of pay, contract violations, and whatever this is:

https://www.insider.com/rust-production-mocked-camera-crew-requests-accommodation-alec-baldwin-shooting-2021-11

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-11-02-rust-asst-directors-attorney-says-hes-not-responsible-for-checking-gun/

The assistant director is also all "Look, I just found a gun on set and gave it to Alex and told him it wasn't loaded. I didn't actually check, not my job :smugdog:"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just to clear some air about the new Dexter season: It's being run by the guy who did the first 4 seasons (the good ones... and 3) and, as far as I have read, is supposed to be a "redo" for "the end of the series." As in, this is the final season.

Edit: I just read that Michael C Hall, as of August, doesn't know 100% if there won't be more.

At least they're going in with a self-awareness of how badly the original series ended. That's, apparently, the entire reason they came back to it. I'm certainly curious to see what that does.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Azhais posted:

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-11-02-rust-asst-directors-attorney-says-hes-not-responsible-for-checking-gun/

The assistant director is also all "Look, I just found a gun on set and gave it to Alex and told him it wasn't loaded. I didn't actually check, not my job :smugdog:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP1X5L-AufQ

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Zero One posted:

Season 3 was much better than 2.

Edit: it's a new crime mystery (not murder though).

Feel free to skip the rest of 2 and go to 3. Maybe read the wiki summary of 2 if you want. I did.

Thanks. I've gotten deep into s2 now, it's not terrible though not what I want out of the show, but I'm sick today so I'm just gonna power through it. Glad season 3 is a new mystery and not murder sounds okay with me. I'm glad at least that the show isn't just doing the most obvious thing all the time (new murder every season with flimsy reasons for the main characters to be involved.)

DaveKap posted:

Just to clear some air about the new Dexter season: It's being run by the guy who did the first 4 seasons (the good ones... and 3) and, as far as I have read, is supposed to be a "redo" for "the end of the series." As in, this is the final season.

Edit: I just read that Michael C Hall, as of August, doesn't know 100% if there won't be more.

At least they're going in with a self-awareness of how badly the original series ended. That's, apparently, the entire reason they came back to it. I'm certainly curious to see what that does.

I had no idea they changed showrunners after s4, that explains so much. I agree that the good seasons are 1, 2, and 4, with 4 being my fave. 4 felt like it could have been a very good ending to the series overall.

Buuuut the show got so bad I'm wary of picking it up again, even with a major effort to return to form, the standards for what they were making slipped so much. And if they go back to making a show that felt fresh and above average 15 years ago that probably won't cut it by today's standards.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Azhais posted:

Remember when I called that initial reports that the production company said it happened "during shooting" were sketchy because the director was on set? Because whoops, they had to backtrack because it was a rehearsal. I'm disinclined to believe the AD called out "cold weapon". As this goes on, remember who has access to crisis PR management teams and who does not (hint: the AD and armorer).

As for responsibility and chain of command, these are the safety bulletins attached to every relevant call sheet on every single job I've worked on, even with rubber guns only (I have hundreds of copies of that exact pdf in my inbox, and know it front to back). At the very top, it says absolutely no live ammunition is to be on set. There is no mention of ADs being allowed to handle nor conducting weapon inspections. While it's technically a union violation to do so, (even though the armorer was nonunion, I'm not sure about the rest of the prop team) traditionally an AD can be a safeguard as they have to relay to the rest of the crew if a weapon is hot, cold, or rubber. Baldwin the actor is responsible because he aimed the gun at the camera/DP with his finger on the trigger in direct contradiction to industry standards. The AD is only really responsible if he waltzed up to the prop cart, grabbed a gun, declared it cold (with or without checking it) and handed it to Baldwin (somewhat possible). The armorer and prop master are responsible because they either weren't present at the gun cart on set to stop that from happening or handed the wrong gun off. Weapons are never, ever to be unattended; certainly not laying out, and certainly not loaded with even blank ammo. I've seen props and armorers cycle a chamber literally eight or more times to ensure a gun is fully unloaded. They're further liable because someone brought live loving rounds to set and loaded them. (Reminder that blanks and live rounds look very different. I can tell them apart and I'm not even in that department) If they had accidental discharges earlier in the shoot as reported elsewhere, Baldwin the producer is responsible for not fixing the problem by hiring more and/or more experienced props/armorers. Baldwin the producer is further responsible if he asked the AD specifically to get him the gun for rehearsal because he didn't want to wait for the armorer.

In my opinion, here's who to blame:
1. Whomever brought live rounds to set and/or knowingly allowed live rounds to be present at all on set
2. The armorer/propmaster who didn't frequently check the rounds to see that there were live rounds present and who left loaded guns unlocked on set
3. Baldwin the producer for not using a rubber gun for rehearsal
4. The AD if he was impatient and didn't want to wait for the armorer/Baldwin if he was impatient and made the AD grab a gun from the cart
5. Baldwin the actor for not handling the gun properly, especially during a rehearsal
6. Baldwin the producer for not hiring a competent armorer/propmaster on a movie where they used guns probably every day

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Gimme that synergy:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Disney/s...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

lol they're all actors. It's getting closer and closer to the Joe Schmo show only without a shred of irony

zoux posted:

I think the Eternals is going to be the first Marvel bomb, because it looks dull and it includes a whole bunch of characters even I don't know about. And I know about all the spider men and wolverines and such. But! Media clickbait narratives about the end of the MCU will be quickly put to bed when spiderman does gangbusters in December. I have foreseen it.

I feel like everyone just forgot about Iron Man 2 and Thor The Dark World being absolute trash-fires. This span from Ragnarok where MCU-movies have been mostly good, or at least competent but mediocre, didn't use to be the norm.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 3, 2021