Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

marumaru posted:

someone said that it might be because battery life is just that bad that the second you're not actively using them you have to drop them in the dock and... yeah, not so exciting if that turns out to be true

I doubt that the battery life is going to be any worse than what the Quest 2 already has (expecting 2-3 hours from the headset, 20-30 from the controllers). It's more likely that they don't use a charging cable so you need the dock to charge which isn't much better of a tradeoff. Given its probably being pitched at companies the expectation is they're going to want somewhere obvious for the thing to live when its not being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

I doubt that the battery life is going to be any worse than what the Quest 2 already has (expecting 2-3 hours from the headset, 20-30 from the controllers). It's more likely that they don't use a charging cable so you need the dock to charge which isn't much better of a tradeoff. Given its probably being pitched at companies the expectation is they're going to want somewhere obvious for the thing to live when its not being used.

Also the rear strap looks an awful lot like they've stuck a battery back there, so given they can already squeak out a few hours with current hardware inside the HMD itself I don't really see the battery life being any worse than the current Quest 2, at worst, balanced against the power draw of higher-spec hardware.

Turin Turambar posted:

There will be three cameras in each controller instead of ir lights, apart of whatever microchip it does the processing, so I think that's the main reason of the dock, because the controller battery will be one magnitude smaller than now.

The controller battery's probably just going to be Li-Ion, all that's really happening is it's functionally the same as Lighthouse controllers only using three cameras instead of a sensor array. I wouldn't be surprised if the battery life's like 6-8 hours at a guess given what Index controllers can achieve in a relatively-similar form factor.

njsykora posted:

No, I doubt they would do that with the dock. There's been a bit of poo poo about non-standard charging with tech gear in recent years, and going from USB-C to a dedicated cradle does nothing helpful when they're desperately trying to spin good PR right now (see; the shift to Meta). It's almost certainly just a fancy base station alternative to a cable for tidiness sake. What it does do, if you want to put the tinfoil hat on for a minute, is encourage users to keep their Quests out and about to encourage regular use rather than tossing it in a drawer and forgetting about it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm not concerned at all about controller battery life tbh. I only ever stop playing my headset if I'm content with how much gaming I've done in one day, or if the headset battery gets too low. As long as the controllers last longer than the headset, and they can all charge up when I'm not using it, I'm happy with having more tech in the controllers themselves if it improves the VR. After all, the wallpaper in my home is just the words "Grebrekcuz Kram" repeated endlessly, so if Facebook ever tries to gather information using the cameras to market things toward my Robert Smith Facebook account, Jesse Eisenberg will spontaneously combust as a warning to Zuck per Jesse's contract for The Social Network

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MikusR posted:

You asked what it looks like

hahaha yeah.

Nothing regarding lenses or new types of panel technology interest me as much as learning what whatever contraption Gaben uses to full dive VR.

Buy lenses so I don't have to wear glasses in my quest?
I think I'll just go with the "Connect directly to my brainstem", device, please

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

forest spirit posted:

Buy lenses so I don't have to wear glasses in my quest?
I think I'll just go with the "Connect directly to my brainstem", device, please

The lenses in the upcoming device seem to be something like these: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/display-solutions-us/solutions/ar-vr/
One video there mentions that the lenses have adjustable focus - so no need for glasses.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What are the chances of a new generation of Windows Mixed Reality? I really like the controller (except that nothing supports it)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I usually don't post the ads, but I thought this was well done, and cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTC-dPwdLM

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

v34
https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-smarter-guardian-android-phone-notifications-and-improved-voice-commands-in-latest-oculus-software-update/
edit: that's not everything
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qla7oa/v34_megathread/

A list of the previous ugprades, btw:

quote:

v33
sharpening feature for link
Better battery life for Quest 1 controllers
2d app multitasking

v32
Clould sync media files
Unified friend list
Horizon Workrooms

v31
'Invite to App' system
'Send the Invite Link' system in the mobile app
FB Messenger improvements
Password manager for browser
Unlock pattern security feature

v30
Mic swapping feature (between party and game)
Accessibility features (color & height correction)
Air Link

v29
Multi-User Accounts and App Sharing for Quest 1
Mic recording for casting or recording
Live Overlay option for casting with iPhones
iOS phone notifications
Files app

v28
virtual desk in VR
physical keyboard pairing
120hz support (experimental)
new Avatar system

v26
Virtual couch in VR
Hand tracking improvements

v25
Messenger app
Voice commands
Guardian improvements
Passthrough doubletap shortcut
Universal menu
Bluetooth mouse pairing (experimental)
Browser improvements
Trim video edit feature

v23
Oculus Move
90hz native supoort
Link improvements

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 3, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What are the chances of a new generation of Windows Mixed Reality? I really like the controller (except that nothing supports it)

The G2 is decent and will work with the standard WMR controllers, but other than that I don't think very high.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got another Oculus30 code today, I think that's my 3rd in the last 6 months or so. Had a hard time deciding between RE4 and Lone Echo 2, but went with the latter since it seems like probably the last big title Rift is going to see. Now I just need to get around to finishing Lone Echo 1...

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

They specificaly say Windows 11 is not yet supported. Dang, wish I hadn't upgraded now...

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
The Resident Evil 2 / 3 VR mods still have some ridiculous speed on their development. Here's a a youtuber playing the development build.

I've been so obsessed with the fact that this is coming, that I didn't realise until this video just how scary this is going to be. I've got my VR legs down pat but I think I'm going to have to develop my horror VR legs before this thing comes out.

Anyone have any suggestions for good single player horror VR games that aren't too scary/suspenseful? I can't do Five Nights VR yet, everything in my body screams until I close that game down, and I've played too much Phasmophobia with friends for that to be scary enough to train me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

GTO posted:

They specificaly say Windows 11 is not yet supported. Dang, wish I hadn't upgraded now...
Same, but it fixed strange mystery crashes in rocket league and minion masters, and I rocket league hella more than I VR

One goon said it was working fine for them...
I haven't tried VR under 11 yet

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Me neither to be fair.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Got another Oculus30 code today, I think that's my 3rd in the last 6 months or so. Had a hard time deciding between RE4 and Lone Echo 2, but went with the latter since it seems like probably the last big title Rift is going to see. Now I just need to get around to finishing Lone Echo 1...

Oh poo poo me too. RE4 here I come. I shouldn't, because I am so deep into other games right now (stupid gamepass) so it's pure consumerism, still, I guess it's my vr buy for November.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

drat, I wish I would get a coupon. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gentleman Baller posted:

The Resident Evil 2 / 3 VR mods still have some ridiculous speed on their development. Here's a a youtuber playing the development build.

I've been so obsessed with the fact that this is coming, that I didn't realise until this video just how scary this is going to be. I've got my VR legs down pat but I think I'm going to have to develop my horror VR legs before this thing comes out.

Anyone have any suggestions for good single player horror VR games that aren't too scary/suspenseful? I can't do Five Nights VR yet, everything in my body screams until I close that game down, and I've played too much Phasmophobia with friends for that to be scary enough to train me.

Duck Season!!

It’s an actually fun game mechanic, it’s definitely spoopy but not all of the way through and there is a ton of stuff to mess with

Also it’s from the boneworks devs

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Same, but it fixed strange mystery crashes in rocket league and minion masters, and I rocket league hella more than I VR

One goon said it was working fine for them...
I haven't tried VR under 11 yet

all my vr stuff was fine on 11, oculus/vd/index/steamvr/whatever. I only went back to 10 for "other" reasons.

mileage may very, some restrictions apply.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

drat, I wish I would get a coupon. :(
Are you buying too many oculus games frequently to get retention coupons?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I do not feel like it. I bought walk-about mini golf back in September so maybe that is close enough.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Gentleman Baller posted:

Cosmodread is fantastic.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I bought the Billie Eilish beat saber pack so now they know I'll buy anything and won't send me any coupons.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Duck Season looks fantastic, and definitely like something that could help train me to deal with VR scary.

Cosmodread for sure looks fun but probably beyond what I can handle right now. Seems like it would make a perfect goal, though. Maybe I can convince myself to do one life per gaming session or something... :ohdear:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

What's the hardware compatibility situation? If I spring for a Lynx, could I expect to use Oculus or Index controllers with it?

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Irony.or.Death posted:

What's the hardware compatibility situation? If I spring for a Lynx, could I expect to use Oculus or Index controllers with it?

Playspace merger can combine your Oculus playspace with SteamVR, but that's only on PC I think. Not sure what's available for mobile vr, but there isn't really any reason someone couldn't program it.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Irony.or.Death posted:

As far as I'm aware Oculus controllers can only be used with the headset they come with because of how the tracking works. The controllers position is tracked via the cameras on the headset itself and no other headset maker is going to put in the work to make their headset be able to track a completely different set of controllers.

I'm pretty sure that you can use index controllers with literally any other headset that can also use steamvr though. They are tracked via the lighthouses and the controllers themselves rather than from the headset itself, although I think you need an extra dongle for them to connect to your pc if your headset doesn't support them natively. This will only work for PC stuff running on steamvr though, not anything that runs on the headset itself.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Grashnak posted:

As far as I'm aware Oculus controllers can only be used with the headset they come with because of how the tracking works. The controllers position is tracked via the cameras on the headset itself and no other headset maker is going to put in the work to make their headset be able to track a completely different set of controllers.

I'm pretty sure that you can use index controllers with literally any other headset that can also use steamvr though. They are tracked via the lighthouses and the controllers themselves rather than from the headset itself, although I think you need an extra dongle for them to connect to your pc if your headset doesn't support them natively. This will only work for PC stuff running on steamvr though, not anything that runs on the headset itself.

You can use steamvr stuff with "any" headset as long as you have steamvr, playspace sync, and the proper things tracking stuff.

You can't use the quest controllers the other way around tho. I think you COULD potentially rig up old rift stuff with cameras and multi playspace syncs, buuut ya. You can swap controllers on quests, just, not quest to something else. Pairing method and all that. Plus no cameras to track with :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Kids took over my basement VR space. :(

Now I need to either move a bunch of poo poo anytime I play or play in the middle of common living spaces like an idiot. Though playing somewhere where I am not able to lift my arms more than 2" above my head wouldn't be so bad....

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hadlock posted:

Wow if you ignore all the old oculus headsets, the Quest 2 has more market share than everything else combined

Coming up on 2% ownership across all active steam survey users, wow, I thought we were still under 1%

Quest 2 just ground the rest of the industry into a fine paste, lmao

Extra curious to see what the pro model looks like ... Next year? Especially if it's not tied to Facebook account

A colleague was asking me about VR but she didn't have a gaming PC nor the desire to spend $1000 on a Valve Index nor the skill to set up light houses and configure the play space properly, so I had to suggest a Quest 2 for her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lockback posted:

Kids took over my basement VR space. :(

Now I need to either move a bunch of poo poo anytime I play or play in the middle of common living spaces like an idiot. Though playing somewhere where I am not able to lift my arms more than 2" above my head wouldn't be so bad....

Have you considered getting rid of the kids?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Have you considered getting rid of the kids?

:hmmyes:

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Lacrosse posted:

A colleague was asking me about VR but she didn't have a gaming PC nor the desire to spend $1000 on a Valve Index nor the skill to set up light houses and configure the play space properly, so I had to suggest a Quest 2 for her.

You kind of have to, Quest 2: $300, PC plus Headset: $3000?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

swampface posted:

You kind of have to, Quest 2: $300, PC plus Headset: $3000?

Even if they buy a PC, I'd still rec a quest 2 first anyways. I probably play more native stuff as a general user than anything else these days.

Yeah I do tons of pcvr poo poo too, but im niche and most of the poo poo im doing pcvr side I could do quest anyways. Its just FBT and all that extra poo poo that matters. The "headset upgrade" to something like an index isnt worth it for the average person imo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SCheeseman posted:

I shift around a lot and found myself fumbling to find where the keyboard was located pretty often. Eyehole helps but it's still an annoyance.

Same with me, I'm not sure why but for some reason it's way harder for me to touch type consistently without reorienting my fingers when wearing a headset, even if I wouldn't be able to see the keyboard any better without the headset on. And the eyehole is practically non-existent when I have a silicone cover on the headset.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

EbolaIvory posted:

Even if they buy a PC, I'd still rec a quest 2 first anyways. I probably play more native stuff as a general user than anything else these days.

This colleague would've had a hard enough time setting up their WFH computer equipment there's no way they could set up lighthouses lmao. The lack of needing external tracking devices is one of the best selling points of the Quest 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I only played 15 minutes of RE4 VR, but I will say I'm impressed already... with the options panel.

Not only it has the usual:
seated/standing
smooth movement / teleport
snap turning / smooth
right /left dominant hand

But also many more. You can individually select what stick will do X or in what hand you have the watch, you have two modes of weapon selection (Alyx-like or mmersive), you can turn on/off gameplay options like laser sight and movement strafe, you can disable the QTEs if you don't like them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TMAQaFuos

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Regarding Windows 11 and VR, apparently the guy from Virtual Desktop found that some upcoming w11 update (optionally available now, forced update on nov 9) fixes some issue where the streamer would drop to 30-something fps if it got minimized.

I really haven't had issues with w11 and vr, been fine so far even with airlink.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Turin Turambar posted:

I only played 15 minutes of RE4 VR, but I will say I'm impressed already... with the options panel.

seated/standing
smooth movement / teleport
snap turning / smooth
right /left dominant hand

But also many more. You can individually select what stick will do X or in what hand you have the watch, you have two modes of weapon selection (Alyx-like or mmersive), you can turn on/off gameplay options like laser sight and movement strafe, you can disable the QTEs if you don't like them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TMAQaFuos

I surprised myself by turning the laser sight off. It feels sacrilege for RE4, but the game seems so easy with it turned on. It's weird what stands out to you in VR games. When I started RE4, my first thought was that Leon's knife is really loving big. It's bigger than either of my chef's knives.

I'm pumped for that RE2/RE3 mod to come out. I didn't get around to playing Claire's campaign, so I have a good reason to load it up again. It may take a bit to break the habit of going for roundhouse kicks though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Turin Turambar posted:

seated/standing

Hang on, since when was this usual, tons of games don't have this option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Professor Wayne posted:

It's weird what stands out to you in VR games. When I started RE4, my first thought was that Leon's knife is really loving big. It's bigger than either of my chef's knives.
Sense of scale in VR is unmatched. There's a ton of moments in video games where you come upon a huge vista or step into an enormous cavern and the character marvels aloud, but it never really hits me. Then you get into VR and crane your neck to see the ceiling or watch the horizon stretch out for miles and go "okay yeah, I get it".