Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I haven’t tested it but rumor is that foods with different durations stack so you can have a bunch of different health regen foods ticking at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
has there been a launch so loving disastrous that new servers were needed to contain demand yet compounding bugs lead to a complete desertion of the player base and all but the most staunchest of supporters.

loving currency trading being disabled in a game where theres no NPC vendors is just the cherry on top of the poo poo everest

this poo poo is gonna have to go a new realm reborn again and more, cos jfc

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Kill All Cops posted:

has there been a launch so loving disastrous that new servers were needed to contain demand yet compounding bugs lead to a complete desertion of the player base and all but the most staunchest of supporters.

loving currency trading being disabled in a game where theres no NPC vendors is just the cherry on top of the poo poo everest

this poo poo is gonna have to go a new realm reborn again and more, cos jfc

as long as they follow the Amazon Values they are sure to succeed. Because Jeff Bezos is a genius and not just a lucky merciless piece of poo poo.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The funny thing is I'd call the launch mostly a success because as much as the long queues sucked, it at least meant people really wanted to play and their overall solution wound up being decent. Way better to release with too much popularity and cool off then launch as a dud.

As the players actually played though, they found the big issues with the game and then AGS's attempts to fix it somehow caused the game to crack in half. I'd call it the "worst managed launch" ever, maybe.

It was like walking into a house, seeing a decent interior, then finding out the house was basically made of foamboard and infested with rats, and AGS solution was to just throw some paint on it or something.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 2, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Dragongem posted:

It was like walking into a house, seeing a decent interior, then finding out the house was basically made of foamboard and infested with rats, and AGS solution was to just throw some paint on it or something.

if the paint was a mix of lead and asbestos

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Dragongem posted:

The funny thing is I'd call the launch mostly a success because as much as the long queues sucked, it at least meant people really wanted to play and their overall solution wound up being decent. Way better to release with too much popularity and cool off then launch as a dud.

As the players actually played though, they found the big issues with the game and then AGS's attempts to fix it somehow caused the game to crack in half. I'd call it the "worst managed launch" ever, maybe.

Don't forget that the plot is an Ancient Burial Site.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
As I said in the other thread, New World is the Artifact of MMOs.

Gigantic hype caused by influences with vested interests, but crap game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

I am still enjoying the game when it works but I definitely downloaded the trial of ff14 yesterday and am trying that out for the first time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wow this game sounds great.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also lol towns being downgraded because taxes are going to the ether while the town upkeep is still ticking down

Amazon's response

vOv

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hello!

I have no information but I am sorry.

Thank you!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Welp GG. Was fun while it lasted. Shame they broke the game more than they improved it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I bet the lack of a subscription really hurts the metrics around how many people are going to dump this game in waves after all this poo poo.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

New world is less an mmo at this point than it is an "everyone is globby" simulator

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

also lol towns being downgraded because taxes are going to the ether while the town upkeep is still ticking down

Amazon's response

vOv

The best part is the “We look forward to seeing you again soon”

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

Amazon's response

vOv

On the one hand, it has to be hell to be a customer service rep for AGS

On the other, if you happen to be really into trolling people it might be a lot of fun

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Digital Prophet posted:

Good news if anyone wants to leave this shitpile for a different shitpile. Shroud Of The Avatar sent me a newsletter yesterday:

I wonder how much they paid for those assets in the unity shop? :thunk:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The house is burning, all the smart developers already read the tea leaves and jumped ship, leaving behind handymen working throughout the weekend to rewire the cables so that they stop sparking up. Estate agents promising that turning on the lights won't result in natural gas leaking each room soon, but will require further testing. Interior designers twiddling their thumbs having created next seasons latest furniture weeks ago.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is the market still down? drat I'm gonna lose a bunch of gold on this

Just dupe it back, no big deal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Decon posted:

Haven't gotten to high level PvP, but is the hatchet still as busted in PvP as the subreddit seems to think it is? Because if the particular weapon that lead to players not staggering-on-hit anymore is still op then :rubby:

It's busted because of the stacking damage buff that people mentioned but there's also the animation cancelling that you can do once you take the throw hatchet perk. So now you're doing 3-4k damage a hit and swinging 4-5 times a second. If it's just the first one, it can be outplayed. If it's a combination of the two you can be 100-0 in heavy armor faster than any life staff could think of healing you.

And there's a new dupe involving multiple storage sheds even while the original dupe is being worked on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

stop laughing at new world

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
again, probably not best that overworked developers who just finished a weekend of overtime that resulted in even more bugs appearing vent their frustrations on the official forums, but what do i know

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Beezos' Bug House

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm being sincere when I say lol and lmao

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol

AND lmao

e: new thread title please "I'm being sincere when I say it's not funny"

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 2, 2021

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Honestly I do appreciate the transparency but I'm guessing that post didn't go through the PR department, just from the tone of it.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I feel a tiny bit bad.

But (I know I'm a broken record itt) the writing was on the wall when they just yoinked player (but not mob) stagger from the game entirely instead of trying to tune it the little bit it needed leaving combat looking and feeling worse (nevermind the various game elements plainly designed for it still in place). It, to me, was the writing on the wall that hasty decisions were being pushed from the top and the worst was yet to come.

In short, lol and lmao

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
They don't have an actual testing team to check all these bugs. Every time they want to test out a bug/fix they have to get their GMs to stop what they are doing and log in to a test environment.

lol

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
you can have good QA and no public test server, or no QA and a public test server.

attempting to wing it thru a launch with this much hype with no QA and no public test server is just insanity only the Beez can allow

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/1443924211282571264

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also - I would keep in mind, this isn't the devs fault. Devs code what they're asked to, and generally devs are supposed to have QA testers. They're also supposed to have good leadership, which doesn't include making constant game changes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

has anyone said "poo world" yet?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
The devs shouldn't take it personally. They were set up to fail. This game was meant to get as many people to spend $40 as possible, and then put it in maintenance mode until it dies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Counterpoint: the new world devs seem pretty bad at game development, too

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CLAM DOWN posted:

Counterpoint: the new world devs seem pretty bad at game development, too

Excuse me but that's unfair. In types of situations the blame lies with management and *remainder of message illegible due to large sausage covering majority of screen*.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Excuse me but that's unfair. In types of situations the blame lies with management and *remainder of message illegible due to large sausage covering majority of screen*.

Lol and lmao

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Meme Poker Party posted:

:rubby:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It’s more accurate to say it isn’t always the devs fault.

Lack of PTR, QA, and poor management absolutely fucks development. Lack of staffing in key solution roles absolutely fucks developers too because they can’t be expected to know every other system and how their feature could run afoul with another very unrelated feature.

Poor coding of individual features is absolutely their fault though. So is changing something with obvious dependencies and not considering them.

The poo poo is a blend of a bad platform, lack of architectural thought, bad coding, little to no QA, incompetent management and poo poo release management. So most ecomm companies really.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
wonder what product we would've got if we had the blue origin team working on new world and AGS working on J. Bezo's first trip to space

cos I personally would really like to see that trade off happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so I was gone for like 10 days and missed all the crazyness, but logged in last night and did some missions and holy poo poo, they got rid of stagger for players? it was so maddening trying to kill poo poo. I just dinged 40 and not sure how much more I'll keep going.