Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RBA Starblade posted:

I want like twelve for that!

I remember having a lot of fun with the old Point Defense Systems mod for HW2 that, in the earlier incarnations (before it went completely off the rails), was mostly about slapping a bunch more guns on ships. Is there anything like that out for HW Remastered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I *think* there's a TFS release for the remasters? I have no idea if it's updated for the current patch though. That was basically PDS-lite.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but while I appreciate the storytelling highlights of Cataclysm, I honestly found the ship designs totally butt-ugly.

And like, I get the whole "it's a bunch of civilian utility ships that have been gunned up into combat duty" thing... but I still think they look butt-ugly.

Almost all of the Somtaaw ships also have an arrangement of markings or lights that looks like some kind of face on the front. The most noticeable is the Prospector, which looks exactly like the voice sounds like.

Edit: Note, I consider this a counter to the idea that the ships are ugly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember having a lot of fun with the old Point Defense Systems mod for HW2 that, in the earlier incarnations (before it went completely off the rails), was mostly about slapping a bunch more guns on ships. Is there anything like that out for HW Remastered?

I've got some archived good versions of PDS, including one where you can still play the full campaign with all the crazy poo poo. They're for classic not remastered but still a hoot. And you can actually run them with double digit framerates now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So here’s a question that’s sort of 20 years in the making. We all know about Fleet Command in Cataclysm dressing down the Bentusi but when I first played the game I remember that scene was missing some dialogue. Specifically the “You’re killing us. Who will remember…” by Command followed by “We regret the loss of your memories” by the Bentusi. However there was several seconds of silence where these voice lines should have been playing. I remember that dialogue missing after numerous reinstalls with the disc version I own across several different computers. I recently installed and played the GOG version, got to that mission… and the dialogue was still missing.

Considering I can go on YouTube right now and find numerous videos with those voice lines intact from people presumably playing the disc version since they were uploaded before the GOG release can someone tell me why these missing lines seem to be following me around. Is this some easy bug fix I’ve never bothered to look up? I hadn’t thought about it in years and it wasn’t until I got to the mission in the GOG version that I remembered it and thought “Oh hey I’ll finally be able to hear those lines for myself” and then I didn’t with a completely different version of the game :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're haunted as gently caress.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I was so excited to hear more about this and all I hear is silence. anyone got any actual information over the last few months?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're being extremely slow about revealing anything, but also to be fair I was under the impression that the game was just coming out of pre-vis when they announced it. It's gonna be a solid 'nother year or two.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

You're haunted as gently caress.

You’re telling me. They’re pretty important lines too!

stopgap1 posted:

I was so excited to hear more about this and all I hear is silence. anyone got any actual information over the last few months?

I’m pretty sure all they had for the Fig campaign was the trailer which was definitely not game footage. They likely had basically nothing but concept art lying around when it was launched.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

as i remember homeworld 2 was also basically silence after they announced it right up until preorders, but then they also had the whole problem with "whoops gotta start over"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Turns out they dropped a couple tracks last month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAal3f9pnLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05yWxGRA9g

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXRvXnOY6M

And a trailer for Homeworld Mobile. ...If anyone gives a poo poo about that sort of thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like some chanting as much as the next person but the chanting in that first song gets positively blaring occasionally.

Second one is some good space music though.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

And a trailer for Homeworld Mobile. ...If anyone gives a poo poo about that sort of thing.

It looks better than Homeworld 2.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Just hearing the soundtrack is getting me all nostalgic over the homeworld series

Orv
May 4, 2011
I miss unit chatter. :smith:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Orv posted:

I miss unit chatter. :smith:

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polaron posted:

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

I tell you what, they make those port fusion chambers out of some really sturdy stuff. Twenty two years and there's never been a breach in a port fusion chamber.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Frigate lost.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hit, hit, damage report.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:brrring:
:sad::jewish::q:
:crobear: :crobear:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We're going down, we're goin-

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GLmboCnLQY

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

hello posters of this fine thread, as games IK I am popping in to ask if you would like a shiny new thread title, as I believe Homeworld 3 no longer qualifies as "just announced"

unless you take that to mean not "recently" but "this is all that's happened so far," then it still works I guess

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

New Super Metis posted:

hello posters of this fine thread, as games IK I am popping in to ask if you would like a shiny new thread title, as I believe Homeworld 3 no longer qualifies as "just announced"

unless you take that to mean not "recently" but "this is all that's happened so far," then it still works I guess

Homeworld 3: Battlechat ASMR

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

New Super Metis posted:

Since Homeworld Mobile's in various states of public/private testing too you could just make it a general thread; it's sleepy enough it doesn't matter though really

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Since Homeworld Mobile's in various states of public/private testing too you could just make it a general thread; it's sleepy enough it doesn't matter though really

"Just Homeworld - Announced!" then?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Homeworld - We're going home (again)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Homeworld - Nothing can take us far enough.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Homeworld: Banana's Coming Home

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

"Homeworld: surface temperature climbing" might be a little too real

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
Beaten to the horrible joke by Battuta but here it is anyway

Homeworld - Consumed by a firestorm of hype

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

General Battuta posted:

it may be so but that's what makes it a winner in my book

i will now retreat into the aether, PM me if you come up with a killer one you all want in the future

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

Asimov posted:

Mmmmm that's not doing it for me personally but I'm glad that good RTS games are still possible to make. Homeworld is 3D space, not 2D dirt.

This game is probably uniquely doomed due to:
- Fig investment scheme (what the hell)
- All good space game staff have left the studio
- Homeworld Remastered sucked badly and I feel like they lied about "Oh we faithfully re-created the Homeworld 1 AI and assets that were lost." Sure you did buddy. sure you did.
- Epic Games Store exclusive or some similar pre-release announcement of micro transactions, subscriptions, or bullshit of that caliber seems likely.
- All the other normal reasons that games fail.

And that's just the single player campaign. Will these guys be able to balance an RTS? Are they even going to try? How many unique factions... 1?

See now, this poo poo pisses me off. How the gently caress do you lose an entire video game (cataclysm) or have it stolen? Did they have it backed up on like on zip drive that someone pickpocketed? How does that even loving happen?

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

has anyone messed with homeworld mobil yet? I'm really emberassed to be found playing mobil games when there are perfectly good consoles and pcs nearby

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Got excited for a second that there might have been some hint of news that had just dropped.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Epic Prison Guy posted:

See now, this poo poo pisses me off. How the gently caress do you lose an entire video game (cataclysm) or have it stolen? Did they have it backed up on like on zip drive that someone pickpocketed? How does that even loving happen?

Game studios used to be really bad at archiving because digital storage was expensive.

Like for example the Final Fantasy ports of the PSX games are so bad because they're reverse engineered from the final console build as Square had deleted all assets to free up space for the next project once one was finished. This was standard practice into the early 2000s.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Epic Prison Guy posted:

It was probably on a company HDD that was eventually wiped or destroyed.

There was really no such thing as off-site data storage in 2000. Definitely not one that you would pay to keep the code of an already-shipped game.

It probably does exist somewhere, but good luck finding whichever dev made a local backup 21 years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Epic Prison Guy posted:

has anyone messed with homeworld mobil yet? I'm really emberassed to be found playing mobil games when there are perfectly good consoles and pcs nearby

I gave it a 20 minute go, it's got parts of the homeworld core gameplay there but the game seemed full of typical mobile monetization bullshit. I'm allergic to that poo poo but if you're less hostile to that, it might be enough to tide your over until HW3 is released.

It controlled OK. It does feel like homeworld but with touch controls, which honestly is a little impressive. You can tap and drag to issue orders which works fine, or you can tap different targets and locations from a list and tell your ships to navigate to, attack, guard, harvest or repair based on context, a la an extremely simplified EVE. My phone is tiny so I kept mis-tapping poo poo, but if you have a decently sized phone or a pad, I can see it being as fun as conducting battles and resourcing operations in the originals. Overall it felt and looked like a mobile port of the HW2 engine in how ships moved and the combat looked, though even large capital ships go zoom real fast and there was little or no collision avoidance. Lots of clipping through poo poo.

Speaking of resourcing operations, RUs are now ordered from types A to D, each asteroid has a purity rating determining how much ore you get from each harvesting load. The ores have tiered qualities and need to be refined. This takes time. Creating ships and upgrades to your ship modules require large amounts of these different resources. Basically your typical array of in-game currency that you need to grind for.

HW: Mobile is still in development so they might ease off on some of the grindy cash grabby stuff but it's Gearbox and a mobile game so probably not.

The plot is pretty thin, basically the hyperspace network opening leads to a gold rush where every kiith goes off to carve out their own little corner of the galaxy for themselves. Your little fleet picks up sticks then oh no something happens and you're cut off from returning home to Hiigara. It's effective at getting you thrown into the action at least.

There's some other aliens and progenitor drones spooking about, but they're tossed at you like it's plants vs zombies with little setup. Might be missing a lot of content sure to being early access but the focus does not appear to deliver a HW game for fans of the story and atmosphere of the originals. The opening cinematic has nice looking animatics with a gravelly voiceover like in 1 and 2 explaining the situation, but after that it looks like you're off to grind or burn cash in the item shop.

It's basically an MMO and there's a global chat where folks coordinate grinding expeditions. An interesting part of the game is that you're playing simultaneously with every other player on a large galaxy map with star systems that each have a bunch of locations that you can travel between, a little like in Starsector. A homeworld game with a large seamless theatre of war across multiple systems sounds exactly like my jam, but it's on mobile and if it's going to nickel and dime me constantly, it's not for me.

TL;DR: It's a mobile game with all that entails. If you don't mind that, it could be fun and even good at release. It's a not a totally artless HW-themed skinner box, but aside from some good first impressions I was left underwhelmed. I lasted under half an hour with some skirmishes and fiddling with menus before I uninstalled it.