Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Quixzlizx posted:

You realize that by twisting yourself into knots to defend your argument, you're actually arguing for the other side by admitting that historically it's not as simple as occupying enemy territory and forcing an unconditional surrender/annexation.

I acknowledge the historical reality that annexing vast swathes of land is not feasible due to all the factors noted above—population resistance to occupation, internal politics, etc. and the thread has been good about providing counter examples.

My one specific goony gripe is that the limiting factor in both EU4 and Victoria to how much you can annex is warscore rather than these other historical realities. It irks me that I can achieve a complete victory and feel artificially limited.

To provide a more constructive counterexample: in HOI4 you absolutely can achieve a complete victory and make vast changes to the map. The limiting factor is mostly that you’re competing with your fellow victors about what changes you want. The limitations flow more naturally from the victory system.

To tie this back to Victoria 3: I really like the diplomatic play system as proposed, but what I balk at is that it feels like you’re artificially limited in your demands. If you’re pushing towards a complete victory, it would be nice to be able to expand your demands to accommodate this, maybe through a second diplomatic play that plays out among the victors of that side regarding what demands get added.

Victoria 2 already had a system like this—as a war played out you could add more demands so long as you had a prior casus belli for it and sufficient jingoism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

As I said earlier, so far there is no evidence that you can't make a diplomatic play while already at war. I think it's reasonable to assume that you can use that to expand the scope of a war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the mexicans had a hard time controlling mexico in th e19th century and its not like they were shy about the occasional massacre. the us wouldnt have stood a chance

They focus on Texas in most anlgo places but there were like 15 placename republics contemporary with it. It is kinda hilarious that for a short while the slaver rebellion allied with the yucatán maya rebellion and they did incompetent piracy together.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VostokProgram posted:

As I said earlier, so far there is no evidence that you can't make a diplomatic play while already at war. I think it's reasonable to assume that you can use that to expand the scope of a war.

They specifically say you can’t do that. Like if you can then it’s not actually different than the current diplomacy system. I guess it would have extra steps?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1455912664937291784

This is gonna be a big one.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It'll likely just be about some drat fool thing in the Balkans.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm hype.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's no war in the game, we put the time and resources into a railroad designer instead. Go home!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1456305489856315400?t=W00ItlnzPn_hWQVuL_1d1g&s=19

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

quote:

The second pillar, War is Strategic, is exactly what it sounds like. In Victoria 3, all decisions you make regarding warfare are on the strategic level, not the tactical. What this means is that you do not move units directly on the map, or make decisions about which exact units should be initiating battle where. Instead of being unit-in-province-based, warfare in Victoria 3 is focused on supplying and allocating troops to frontlines between you and your enemies.

:sickos:

11/10 GOTY 2022 or 2023 congrats Wiz, you've made the perfect Victoria.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 4, 2021

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Personally I like clicking on regiments and making them shoot guns at each other, but I know a lot of people were for this kind of abstraction. And it still sounds interesting.

I still want 3D models tho

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I DARED THEM TI REMOVE UNITS AS DISCRETE MAP TOKENS AMD THEY DID IT THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The whole Vicky 3 team is insane. I love it!

I think it fits better for the type of game this is. In other games, stack management and such make attrition and losses mostly a result of bad decisions. This system should make war much more of a steady grind, costly even if you have superiority. And the pop system meant that the wargame system was kind of stretched in V2, like small nations only being able to field 0-1 regiments in war and thus being entirely helpless. This plays into the best part of Vicky warfare, that losing soldiers has direct impact on your nation besides just having less soldiers.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh. The principles sound very cool, at least. It also sounds easier for an AI to handle than specifically moving regiments around.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Best Game Ever status achieved

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm shocked nobody thought to do that sooner. I mused about how the discrete units in a game like civ don't really make sense at the level of abstraction they operate at but it's nice to see paradox giving a more abstract warfare model a go.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Gort posted:

Huh. The principles sound very cool, at least. It also sounds easier for an AI to handle than specifically moving regiments around.

Not only that but an AI can't game it with perfect micro of units, either.

Between front-based wars and diplomatic plays potentially ending a war before it begins, I think a lot of tedium of slowly occupying a country in a war you're obviously going to win will be removed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I'm shocked nobody thought to do that sooner. I mused about how the discrete units in a game like civ don't really make sense at the level of abstraction they operate at but it's nice to see paradox giving a more abstract warfare model a go.

There was a game called realpolitik that attempted it. It had potential but some balance issues and was janky even when working. I figure pdox should be able to iterate on it better than a broke rear end indie studio.

Anywhere where's my mobilization planning mechnic paradox

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love this idea, will be such an interesting departure to not having to intensely micro-manage your exact troop movements in real time across the globe. I noticed though in previous dev diaries we got screen shots and examples, with this one we only got the vague and general ideology of the design. Would loved to have seen what these fronts and things actually look like and how they work.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That crazy bastard's doing it, he's abstracting the warfare! It's already beautiful and perfect and I love it.

Baronjutter posted:

I love this idea, will be such an interesting departure to not having to intensely micro-manage your exact troop movements in real time across the globe. I noticed though in previous dev diaries we got screen shots and examples, with this one we only got the vague and general ideology of the design. Would loved to have seen what these fronts and things actually look like and how they work.
This is a lot for the playerbase to digest, it's probably for the best. Or maybe it's still really WIP?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it's something they're working on getting implemented. There's not a lot of old games for guidance on how to make this stuff work.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think they are expecting this to be very controversial, so they want to give a basic overview first so the base outrage can calm down before they start giving details. Well, it also seems likely to be very complex so we wouldn't really have any context for any screenshots. I imagine they'll go over each aspect individually going forward.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agean90 posted:

There was a game called realpolitik that attempted it. It had potential but some balance issues and was janky even when working. I figure pdox should be able to iterate on it better than a broke rear end indie studio.

Anywhere where's my mobilization planning mechnic paradox

I played Realpolitik. It was okay. It had Victoria elements including a focus on your internal economy, resources, etc, though no pops explicitly.

Its war system was good but needed reworking. You had a pool of units--troops, tanks, planes, and ships. Ships were only used to provide transport to overseas wars--you couldn't start an overseas war without at least one ship. Otherwise no significant naval component. The other 3 units were used in operations. Each side could run one operation at a time, things like "Secure the cities" or "Tank offensive", etc. Each operation used a certain amount of units and provided a certain amount of warscore or enemy units destroyed if it succeeded. Operations were opposed by the enemy's forces.

It sounds good and worked well on the small scale. But if two major powers got into war with each other, the limitation of running one operation at a time meant neither side could weaken the other fast enough to win a war. Your only hope would be to blitz to a 100% warscore victory and force a capitulation within the first month or two of mobilization. Otherwise, your opponent could rebuild troops faster than you could kill them, and neither side would be able to claim victory. I had multiple instances were India and China would be locked in a hellwar for over 2 decades, one side or the other trying to make the final push to the capital, but not quite making it, as the other side furiously built more units.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I am loving the comments on the dev diary. About 2/3 "This is amazing! I can't wait to see more!" and 1/3 "This is literally the dumbest thing ever, you just killed the game"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wow, I never thought they'd actually do it.

Color me skeptical, and I did enjoy moving units around in other Paradox games (though not Vicky 2), but if they could pull it off, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

We'll be talking details in the upcoming dev diaries, for this one we wanted to focus on the underlying vision.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zeron posted:

I think they are expecting this to be very controversial, so they want to give a basic overview first so the base outrage can calm down before they start giving details. Well, it also seems likely to be very complex so we wouldn't really have any context for any screenshots. I imagine they'll go over each aspect individually going forward.
I feel like it doesn't need to be that complex, at least on the specifically warfare front. Most of the complexity should be in the interplay with production, logistics, and diplomacy, not in the battles themselves. A stretched out EU4 battle where you can assign men and material, decide on whether you want to go on the offensive or hunker down, would do most of the things you need for warfare. I'd definitely rather they focus on the diplomatic side of things than making abstract war overly complex, they can always spice it up later. This:

Wizzington posted:

Yes, and wars can also end in negotiated peace with both sides taking and losing things - but more on that later!
Is way more important than pretty much anything happening during war itself.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panzeh posted:

yeah i'm definitely interested but i'd like to see the details next week

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It also occurs to me that a more abstracted war system would probably help with low-intensity wars that might be silly in previous games- something like Islandwana or the first Anglo-Afghan war comes off as weird in vicky 2 style

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaza42 posted:

I am loving the comments on the dev diary. About 2/3 "This is amazing! I can't wait to see more!" and 1/3 "This is literally the dumbest thing ever, you just killed the game"

CA dad but with mutton chops leaps out the window screaming “I want to move my counters”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I also really hope we get some sort of "enforce [laws]" wargoal/demand. So my revolutionary communist power can go around liberating the working class by forcing nations to adopt worker-owned economies and full democracy. I don't need puppets or imperialism, just make em red and black.

And of course the reverse would be cool too, conservative states banding together to force countries with dangerous ideas of equality to abandon said dangerous ideas.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am especially curious as to how this would look like for Napoleonic stuff, but I am definitely positively intrigued.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Baronjutter posted:

I also really hope we get some sort of "enforce [laws]" wargoal/demand. So my revolutionary communist power can go around liberating the working class by forcing nations to adopt worker-owned economies and full democracy. I don't need puppets or imperialism, just make em red and black.

And of course the reverse would be cool too, conservative states banding together to force countries with dangerous ideas of equality to abandon said dangerous ideas.

We saw that you can do a diplomatic play to outlaw slavery last week, so this is definitely possible (although may need mods or patches to flesh out more)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

of all the insane features theyve shown so far, not being able to micro is surprisingly the one I'm most excited for.

if you want tactics though, I highly suggest buying the popular grand strategy game, Football Manager.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StashAugustine posted:

It also occurs to me that a more abstracted war system would probably help with low-intensity wars that might be silly in previous games- something like Islandwana or the first Anglo-Afghan war comes off as weird in vicky 2 style
That's a good point. With armies being abstract, it'll be a lot easier to restrict their use for overseas operations, and you can even have politics interfering in a way where some fronts get a lot more political support than others based on the general leading the fight, or the overall support for the war at home, something that'd probably be a lot harder to do in an EU4-style system. Being able to win a war against an on-paper more powerful foe because it can't properly bring to bear its might would be a very neat consequence of this change.

Kaza42 posted:

We saw that you can do a diplomatic play to outlaw slavery last week, so this is definitely possible (although may need mods or patches to flesh out more)
I Enforce Law: Disability Pension on my beaten foe. Finally, all the soldiers I have turned into cripples can live a worthy life.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Wiz posted:

We'll be talking details in the upcoming dev diaries, for this one we wanted to focus on the underlying vision.

You’re a king, Wiz. I’m sure you’re going to hear a lot of whining but this was the right move for Vicky 3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not gonna lie what’s been revealed about war sounds insanely boring

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah biggest hope is that this system will be able to simulate small-scale and asymmetrical wars a lot better. If you have to balance fronts with garrisons and are hampered by distance it makes it a lot easier to show how a small or pre-industrial state might hold off the European empires. The UK didn't mobilize two million conscripts to fight the Zulu after all.

Saw someone in the thread compare it to the Hearts of Iron 4 naval system and I'm pretty alright with that. Allocate a force to broad area and let them figure out themselves as opposed to labouriously clicking on 30k stacks and feeding them in to the endless grinder.

Edit: also excited to see how civil wars and especially revolts are handled. Can revolts get foreign support, or can the state fighting revolt get help like all those Allied troops in Russia during the Bolshevik Kerfuffle. That'd be fun.

Also also proxy wars on some level but I guess that's outside the time period. I dunno I'm just excited for this video game even if I don't plan on buying it.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 4, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always found war in paradox games "insanely boring" so I'm really excited to see something totally different. If they can pull it off it can actually boil down war into a series of actual meaningful player choices rather than spending 20 min click click clicking unit orders to chase down those last rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
nice, I'm very happy about the abstraction away from moving individual units.

HOI4 already does frontlines that you assign units to and the AI tries to distribute them across the provinces that make up the frontline. I wonder if we will see the same thing here, or if it is even more abstracted than that.