Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

DaveKap posted:

Just to clear some air about the new Dexter season: It's being run by the guy who did the first 4 seasons (the good ones... and 3) and, as far as I have read, is supposed to be a "redo" for "the end of the series." As in, this is the final season.

Dexter season 5 was the best season :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Metropolis posted:

I had no idea they changed showrunners after s4, that explains so much. I agree that the good seasons are 1, 2, and 4, with 4 being my fave. 4 felt like it could have been a very good ending to the series overall.

Dexter Seasons 6-9 were run by Scott Buck, the guy later responsible for Inhumans and the first season of Iron Fist. That should also explain a lot.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I had to look it up... this is hilarious. Dude never ran any shows before or after those 3, just producer and writing roles on very few others. I was going to comment on how television poison lasts that long but he's had so few gigs, I almost feel sorry for the guy.

He really needs to find a different job.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I had to look it up... this is hilarious. Dude never ran any shows before or after those 3, just producer and writing roles on very few others. I was going to comment on how television poison lasts that long but he's had so few gigs, I almost feel sorry for the guy.

He really needs to find a different job.

Dude shouldn't have gotten a second gig, let alone a third. He's a perfect example of how white males just fail upwards in Hollywood but still screwed up so bad that he managed to be blacklisted even with that massive structural advantage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The sad part is that he used to be a genuinely good writer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He did, but also I think society would benefit greatly from blacklisting anyone that was involved with the creation of The Oblongs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Put Bart Simpson in Kingdom Hearts

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm still really surprised that there was no Star Wars character in Kingdom Hearts. Back in 2012 I was absolutely sure we'd see that within a year or two.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ECFdDHTFw

Oh look a show about a pandemic induced apocalypse, just what everyone wants to watch now. Also, remember when trailers had narrators instead of slowed down minor key versions of up beat pop songs.

I was looking for something to watch and I watched the first 15 minutes or so of Sweet Tooth, and maybe this changes sometime in the future when we aren't in the middle of one, but the cinematic shorthand we have for "pandemic" is so far removed from the reality of it that I'm instantly disengaged.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 3, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To be fair, different kinds of pandemics would cause different outcomes. Sweet Tooth is basically a disease that's as transmittable as COVID, but 100% fatal.

If anything, it's unrealistic in the number of people that would survive something like that given how people seem to love spreading disease as a political statement.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly, higher mortality rates are generally associated with lower transmission vectors because you're generally dying before you spread it further.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

zoux posted:

Oh look a show about a pandemic induced apocalypse, just what everyone wants to watch now. Also, remember when trailers had narrators instead of slowed down minor key versions of up beat pop songs.

I was looking for something to watch and I watched the first 15 minutes or so of Sweet Tooth, and maybe this changes sometime in the future when we aren't in the middle of one, but the cinematic shorthand we have for "pandemic" is so far removed from the reality of it that I'm instantly disengaged.

I love Mackenzie Davis but yeah, I don't have this in me.

Same for Squid Games, I get it, late stage capitalism, its here already. I don't need a show to tell me about it no matter how well done it is.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Who the gently caress wants to watch anything about a pandemic while trying to survive an actual pandemic. Absolutely psychotic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think a lot of this stuff was in production before the pandemic hit. That being said, it's pretty ridiculous that we've got Station Eleven, The Stand, Y the Last Man, Sweet Tooth, The Last of Us and probably several more pandemic-related shows in such a short amount of time. The studios that pushed them through to the end probably figured that we'd be through it by now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're making a Station Eleven series? I need to finally read that book.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm excited about the Wool series.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think a lot of this stuff was in production before the pandemic hit. That being said, it's pretty ridiculous that we've got Station Eleven, The Stand, Y the Last Man, Sweet Tooth, The Last of Us and probably several more pandemic-related shows in such a short amount of time. The studios that pushed them through to the end probably figured that we'd be through it by now.

The Utopia remake lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The studios that pushed them through to the end probably figured that we'd be through it by now.

Didn't we all

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Station 11 is a loving great read.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm still really surprised that there was no Star Wars character in Kingdom Hearts. Back in 2012 I was absolutely sure we'd see that within a year or two.

Doesn't Disney hate Kingdom Hearts? I think they make it as difficult as they can to use their properties at all, it feels like a very begrudging arrangement. Goddamn though, Disney just needs to get broken up like Bell.

zoux posted:

I was looking for something to watch and I watched the first 15 minutes or so of Sweet Tooth

Is that the one where it just makes everyone have adorable or freaky animal-human babies? That show was pretty doofy even if the pandemic thing didn't turn you off. At some point there's a whole lost-boys peter pan apocalypse city, but yeah, the premise alone is pretty hard to swallow. Lots of folks dying sucks and all but I do not for one moment believe it would cause people to turn on their kickass new animal-babies. Hell, people would take the animal-babies by choice if it didn't come with dying or whatever. And I don't think the animal-haters would be all trying to hunt down the last kids in the world because they're so mad about apocalypse. Like, maybe if the disease made everyone's language change to something foreign I could see the analogy better, but the only reason to kill an animal baby is out of jealousy that you don't get to have antlers or wings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Is that the one where it just makes everyone have adorable or freaky animal-human babies? That show was pretty doofy even if the pandemic thing didn't turn you off. At some point there's a whole lost-boys peter pan apocalypse city, but yeah, the premise alone is pretty hard to swallow. Lots of folks dying sucks and all but I do not for one moment believe it would cause people to turn on their kickass new animal-babies. Hell, people would take the animal-babies by choice if it didn't come with dying or whatever. And I don't think the animal-haters would be all trying to hunt down the last kids in the world because they're so mad about apocalypse. Like, maybe if the disease made everyone's language change to something foreign I could see the analogy better, but the only reason to kill an animal baby is out of jealousy that you don't get to have antlers or wings.

They think the babies are killing them (and they're probably right). Like, I get they're adorable, but there are plenty of adults that would kill a child over food, or let a child die to buy cheaper jeans, let alone kill a bunch of kids over the mass extinction of the entire human race.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arist posted:

Honestly, higher mortality rates are generally associated with lower transmission vectors because you're generally dying before you spread it further.

Yes, but these are fictional pandemics with things that have longer incubation and transmissibility stages.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They think the babies are killing them (and they're probably right). Like, I get they're adorable, but there are plenty of adults that would kill a child over food, or let a child die to buy cheaper jeans, let alone kill a bunch of kids over the mass extinction of the entire human race.

I mean, just go to a school board meeting in the past year if you want to see parents putting politics above child safety.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1455899509159075848

Hell yes!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I approve of this decision.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked the show, even if the end of the final match of the season wouldn't fly even under Vince Russo.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Despite my issues with it, I am down for a second season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I dropped it a few episodes before the end, but I will check out season two to see if they fixed the problems I had with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/skatunenetwork/status/1248728912470867969?lang=en

Bought this shirt at the Skatune Network merch stand on the weekend and one day someone is going to see me wearing it and I'll make a new best bud.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/alwayssunny/status/1455958848976478209?s=20

they're back! cant wait for the new season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

If it were normal kids, I could see it, but these are clearly much cooler than any normal human child. If anything parents would be giving away their boring ol ape babies to make more room for the new gen-zoo babies who all get to be a friggin x-man.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm 99% certain that Kingdom Hearts was always supposed to be just a Disney game and the only reason it crossed over with anything else was because that was the only way the creator could convince Square execs to go through with the project.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I'm 99% certain that Kingdom Hearts was always supposed to be just a Disney game and the only reason it crossed over with anything else was because that was the only way the creator could convince Square execs to go through with the project.

Kingdom Hearts exists because square and Disney Japan shared an office building, and a square employee cornered a Disney exec long enough in an elevator to get him to sign off on starting the project.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think someone here linked an article talking about the creator of squid game, and how it went undeveloped for 10 years while studios were begging him to let them produce it because he insisted it was being run by Darth Vader, literally Darth Vader who somehow escaped death and flew to Earth to create the Squid Game.

Was that real or something from The Onion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've read that story, but it sounds like the dude was loving around

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UGH you guys I LOVE the Blindspotting show. It’s seriously excellent. I need Idiom or someone else who watches everything to co-sign this one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

I've read that story, but it sounds like the dude was loving around

yeah i figured out it was a jape when i looked it up after telling someone. however, i've continued to tell people that because it's believable. it's replace my old favourite plausible lie that bob dylan wrote gwen stefani's "hollaback girl"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone watched Shtisel? It's not new but my parents just recommended it and it's pretty good. Season two is.., ooff.

Escobarbarian posted:

UGH you guys I LOVE the Blindspotting show. It’s seriously excellent. I need Idiom or someone else who watches everything to co-sign this one

I tried it a while ago based on positive reviews but basically noped out by the time the song and dance stuff started. I'm sure it's actually cool nut just not something for me.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I'll give it a crack! I did love the movie

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ugh I just finished two weeks of binging the Mike Flanagan Netflix shows (watched Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House, & Haunting of Bly Manor for the first time each in that order) and now I don't know what to do with myself. They had their ups and downs but hit me at the right moment I guess, since I'd previously bounced off Hill House. I'm annoyed at how much of a sucker I am for some narration with the same melody played over it for 26 episodes Dignity/I Want to Wake up so Badly/Love Story respectively.

I guess I've got 6 episodes of Evil season 2 left, maybe that will do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Squid Game is great, but it really felt like the first few episodes it was shoving too much stuff in. Episode 6 is probably the best episode by far and that's about the point where the side plot stuff got dropped.