Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sounds like a good thing, but it is impossible to know, and while you shouldn't overthink it i think it might be one of the following 37 reasons: 1) the boss is actually you from the future, in past loops future you offered you the job immediately, but getting back to his time machine he looked in the mirror and found his entire face was ravaged by horrific scars and wh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

in the OP, why is the section about during the interview redacted?

i am in the middle of an interview

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

in the OP, why is the section about during the interview redacted?

i am in the middle of an interview

we know, please stop stalling on the current question

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i asked the end of interview questions, they went well.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
The times I asked about the most challenging aspects, what success looks like in the first 60-90 days etc people were all very impressed. Also asking about the worst code in the code base is a good one for getting people to open up a little.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a dingus posted:

Also asking about the worst code in the code base is a good one for getting people to open up a little.

“anything written by me”

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

a dingus posted:

The times I asked about the most challenging aspects, what success looks like in the first 60-90 days etc people were all very impressed. Also asking about the worst code in the code base is a good one for getting people to open up a little.

this, agreed. i think the what does success look like question got me two jobs.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

how many companies do you talk too at once? I'm currently juggling 5 at once all at similar stages and I feel like it's giving me too much anxiety, and sapping my energy.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

how many companies do you talk too at once? I'm currently juggling 5 at once all at similar stages and I feel like it's giving me too much anxiety, and sapping my energy.
Blasting out as many applications as I could (5+ on weekdays and dozens on weekends) I had a few weeks where I was talking to 5-10 companies at various stages. It’s immensely draining to be grinding through so many recruiter chats and prepping for tech screens at the same time; it’s normal to be stressed so don’t worry about dialing back if you’ve bitten off too much at once. I was lucky that I was completely checked out of my job at the time and could just spend the whole day interviewing and no one noticed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the last time i interviewed, i spaced it out: small healthcare company, passed to pursue faang, google and amazon interviews during the same time frame, and then canceled my linkedin onsite because i already had the google offer and was very tired

conventional wisdom says to keep going all out until you have your new badge, but gently caress man that's hard. it's ok to space it out. timing only matters at all if you're trying to play companies off of each other. the only companies i've heard of needing a competing offer to up the numbers are faangs, and i don't even know how truthful that is (obviously it helps, but would they _really_ let somebody walk because there wasn't a competing offer to trigger the "don't lowball" workflow? i doubt it)

do what's right for you and if somebody tries to dunk on you for not properly min-maxing your interviews invite them to an rear end buffet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

however many are talking to me pmuch. my covid job hunt ended up being ~1000 applications submitted over the course of 7 or so months, with busy weeks looking like 10-15 hours of interview video calls, with rest of the time (to the total of 50-60 hours per week) spent submitting more applications or working on technical submissions for interviews. imo having 3-5 opportunities at a similar stage is a very lofty place to be, that gives a lot of headroom for late stage negotiations

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you're not in a big hurry (ie can afford to faceplant and re-apply in 6 months) consider my interviewing strategy:

1. do not do takehomes longer than an hour
2. do not spend more than two hours preparing for an interview. prep for multiple interviews must be combined as much as possible. if the company is putting you in a hotel, you can study extra during the trip if you want, but you don't have to. prefer eating a good meal - they're paying for it, after all

probably works better for sre and infosec types that are less likely to get the more gnarly algo-lottery type stuff. algo lottery i regularly have to deal with is more "know how hmac works" and "know when/how to use/make a heap/map/tree"

anyway, i got lucky and it worked perfectly for my last job hunt but i of course expect it to have worse results than high-stress "treating interviewing like a job" strategies. but this is a pretty good strategy if keeping things chill is a priority for you, like if you have kids or other caretaking commitments etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i expensed a 180usd steak for an interview once

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drat that beats me. i expensed some good sushi at google and uhhh i think some nice scallops and stuff at amazon but total cost for both of those meals was still two-digits iirc

then again i have a strong suspicion that you're a more desirable candidate than i am

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

conventional wisdom says to keep going all out until you have your new badge, but gently caress man that's hard. it's ok to space it out. timing only matters at all if you're trying to play companies off of each other.
Agreed, and I feel that particular advice is only relevant if you’re already in a figgieland Prime or secondary city. If you have to coordinate moving house to a new city/state then gently caress trying to grind out interviews during that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

KidDynamite posted:

I can't give a hard number but generally as many as I'm able to block time for, without a high risk of double-booking.

This requires using a calendar tool to keep track of what time you've offered to whom. A log of job contacts beyond the initial call (who, when, what you took away) is also helpful. You can't expect to get the best throughput using only your memory and your e-mail history.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

if you're not in a big hurry (ie can afford to faceplant and re-apply in 6 months) consider my interviewing strategy:

1. do not do takehomes longer than an hour
2. do not spend more than two hours preparing for an interview. prep for multiple interviews must be combined as much as possible. if the company is putting you in a hotel, you can study extra during the trip if you want, but you don't have to. prefer eating a good meal - they're paying for it, after all

probably works better for sre and infosec types that are less likely to get the more gnarly algo-lottery type stuff. algo lottery i regularly have to deal with is more "know how hmac works" and "know when/how to use/make a heap/map/tree"

anyway, i got lucky and it worked perfectly for my last job hunt but i of course expect it to have worse results than high-stress "treating interviewing like a job" strategies. but this is a pretty good strategy if keeping things chill is a priority for you, like if you have kids or other caretaking commitments etc

yeah this wouldn’t work at all for ml/ds poo poo, where takehomes are typically 4-8 hours long, and for rather pragmatic reasons at that. that said ive also been quizzed on data structures or algorithms less than half a dozen times, same goes for doing leetcodes. a bit more common are questions about knowing math fundamentals, but that’s still not even every tenth interview in my experience. typically you just do take home and defend it from questions for an hour, everything before and after is just formalities, if we talk about mid-senior ic roles

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

however many are talking to me pmuch. my covid job hunt ended up being ~1000 applications submitted over the course of 7 or so months, with busy weeks looking like 10-15 hours of interview video calls, with rest of the time (to the total of 50-60 hours per week) spent submitting more applications or working on technical submissions for interviews. imo having 3-5 opportunities at a similar stage is a very lofty place to be, that gives a lot of headroom for late stage negotiations

reading that made feel physically ill lol. I probably haven't even submitted 1000 applications in my entire life let alone during this job hunt

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

drat that beats me. i expensed some good sushi at google and uhhh i think some nice scallops and stuff at amazon but total cost for both of those meals was still two-digits iirc

then again i have a strong suspicion that you're a more desirable candidate than i am

nah i just have less shame and a better knowledge of good sf steakhouses. or at least i did before the roni

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

typically you just do take home and defend it from questions for an hour, everything before and after is just formalities, if we talk about mid-senior ic roles

oh wow, yeah that's very different from the takehomes I'm used to. what i see is takehomes used as screeners, and then you get the standard faang-imitiating process with system design, domain knowledge, etc etc. if the takehome were actually _part_ of the interview in a meaningful way, rather than an obnoxious "we can't figure out a different way to tell you're worth bringing in", I'd have very different feelings about them

does that pattern in interviews for ml/ds stuff also apply to companies in e.g. the US, or is it also location-based?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
takehome screener i tend to believe is not done in good faith. if im spending my time you should be spending your time

every onsite should cost the company you're interviewing at a thousand bux in dev time about

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

holy poo poo you are a champion.

Gazpacho posted:

I can't give a hard number but generally as many as I'm able to block time for, without a high risk of double-booking.

This requires using a calendar tool to keep track of what time you've offered to whom. A log of job contacts beyond the initial call (who, when, what you took away) is also helpful. You can't expect to get the best throughput using only your memory and your e-mail history.

hmm. calendly does have a free tier. would be an interesting change to the current dynamic of figuring out who i offered what time i offered to who and them magically them picking the 1 hour of accidental overlap.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

"champion" was not the word i reached for, but it is impressive nonetheless

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

hmm. calendly does have a free tier. would be an interesting change to the current dynamic of figuring out who i offered what time i offered to who and them magically them picking the 1 hour of accidental overlap.
If you already use gmail you can just use Google calendar as well. I don’t know what feature set you want but it served me well as a posting board for booked times, company names, and reminders.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just think: czs's job search cost the companies like 100k usd in dev time easy, even if lots of it was in eurofiggielands

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kalel posted:

reading that made feel physically ill lol. I probably haven't even submitted 1000 applications in my entire life let alone during this job hunt

im extremely picky and wasn’t going to allow something silly, like collapse of the modern world order and a new recession, to stop me from increasing my compensation by more than 50% as i transition into remote work

if i just wanted something adequate, id be done in1-2 months even when the initial economy shock hit europe and new job postings in my field effectively stopped for a few weeks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

does that pattern in interviews for ml/ds stuff also apply to companies in e.g. the US, or is it also location-based?

i have interviewed with some american companies - decent but not MANGA (Facebook is now Meta). my experience with them repeats the same general ml/ds pattern

- <30 minute screener to see that i don’t yell slurs
- a technical intro call
- take home for 1 weekend day of effort
- technical interview/take home defence
- salary negotiations

americans in my experience give noticeably more difficult take homes than europeans, but are also way less anal about negotiations

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the money spilling out from every orifice i reckon

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for sure, although europeans from non-software space can be surprisingly obstinate about me expecting to, e.g., be allowed to go to like gym or visit a doctor during office hours

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
when i interviewed at ms the hotel room service guy "reminded" me as i was deciding on a tip that my per diem was $75. i had no problem with giving $40 or whatever of ms's money to a hotel worker and i assume like 90% of his income was from people interviewing at ms.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
an unironic durable and strong advantage to norcal software dev wrt both asia and east europe is that we smoke weed more than we drink. as disco elysium notes, alcoholism is one strange possible path to fascism

you smoke too much weed you just start tryin and failin to turn into the dude

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 4, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

decent but not MANGA (Facebook is now Meta).

I’m torn between saying “that’s a pretty cool acronym” and “Facebook needs its old name to stick around like a scarlet letter F”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's plenty of people who smoke weed and are racist they're called libertarians

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

shat the bed, gonna do it again tomorrow

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

there's plenty of people who smoke weed and are racist they're called libertarians

yeah i didnt say it makes you an ok person

a libertarian will still let you go on errands at 2pm or whatever

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Quackles posted:

I’m torn between saying “that’s a pretty cool acronym” and “Facebook needs its old name to stick around like a scarlet letter F”

That name still applies to the product. Though it seems like these days Instagram is also a social hazard as well.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Plorkyeran posted:

when i interviewed at ms the hotel room service guy "reminded" me as i was deciding on a tip that my per diem was $75. i had no problem with giving $40 or whatever of ms's money to a hotel worker and i assume like 90% of his income was from people interviewing at ms.
this post got me looking up microsoft on g-maps and i saw that they've redeveloped the old campus. bulldozed all of the landscaping and tore down most of the X-buildings to build one big structure with a footprint like a shopping mall :sigh:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I've had so many interviews where when asked about work-life balance the manager talks about its importance and gives examples of e.g. leaving early to go to a kids soccer game or sneaking out of work for an hour to spend time with a spouse while kids are in school that I can't tell if

"I don't expect you to work any more than 40 hours, but I do expect you to get the work done. If you can't get a reasonable work load for 40 hours done within those 40 hours, that reflects poorly on you" is a reasonable answer or a bad one.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well it's true. it's arguing over "reasonable workload" that's the hard part

the thing that's really important is what happens when you say "i can't (or won't be able) deliver this". if they say "crunch time" that's terrible. if they say "keep to normal hours and the project gets delayed and we'll learn from our failure in planning" that's very good

consider framing your question around what happens when projections/estimates are wrong. that'll give you a better read on if they expect folks to absorb planning fuckups. if everything's being delivered, there's no need for anybody to even know that you're out for an hour or whatever. that's not work life balance. work life balance is when nobody expects you to sacrifice your life for your work.

also consider asking about what they do when they have pressure from above to deliver 8 weeks of work in 6 weeks. the right answer is "we say no and tell what we can and will deliver in 6 with a path to the full ask and what we'd need to be able to deliver on time*" the wrong answer is any flavor of "we work extra hard" or "we try our best" or similar.

* usually this is "x headcount" or "someone else has already completed Y" or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cheque_some posted:

I've had so many interviews where when asked about work-life balance the manager talks about its importance and gives examples of e.g. leaving early to go to a kids soccer game or sneaking out of work for an hour to spend time with a spouse while kids are in school that I can't tell if

"I don't expect you to work any more than 40 hours, but I do expect you to get the work done. If you can't get a reasonable work load for 40 hours done within those 40 hours, that reflects poorly on you" is a reasonable answer or a bad one.

It’s reasonable but also not an answer I think I would want.