Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
The Emperor really will be an interesting casting challenge. I vote Ian McDiarmid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If its going to be a stunt casting Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then reveal he's a lost terminator. Crossover!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I vote for Jason Momoa and like, don't call attention to it at all

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If they follow the books, the emperor is 72 but looks about 35.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lee Pace.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm thinking Chris Pratt.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Paul Rudd, surely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
gently caress, it's going to be Jared Leto isn't it?

fake edit in honor of the page# make it Danzig

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

uXs posted:

If they follow the books, the emperor is 72 but looks about 35.

35 year old ginger. Cast Ed Sheeran :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Make it Patrick Stewart. The man has looked like he was in his 70's since his 30's, so it all works out!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does the emperor have any shirtless scenes?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wafflecopper posted:

Does the emperor have any shirtless scenes?

Foundation found a way, so sure.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Werner Herzog

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From a Dune wiki:

quote:

Shaddam Corrino IV was a slim and elegant man, with red hair, a thin face, and cold eyes. The aforementioned face and eyes reminded the Baron Harkonnen of Duke Leto Atreides I - Shaddam had "that same look of the predatory bird."
Domhnall Gleeson, to continue his movie pairing with Oscar Isaac? (well... except for... you know, the timing, but maybe in a flashback)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Carrot Top

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:hmmyes:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Going off of this - "Shaddam Corrino IV was a slim and elegant man, with red hair, a thin face, and cold eyes. The aforementioned face and eyes reminded the Baron Harkonnen of Duke Leto Atreides I - Shaddam had "that same look of the predatory bird.""

Get Jamie Bell in there.

Alternatively if they want to skew a little older, Sean Harris.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Martman posted:

From a Dune wiki:

Domhnall Gleeson, to continue his movie pairing with Oscar Isaac? (well... except for... you know, the timing, but maybe in a flashback)

I think it’s gonna be someone like Daniel Kaluuya. Popular recent academy award winner that can act their rear end off in a few scenes. And I think he could pull off “old guy that looks young” better than an actual old guy who looks young. I think Villeneuve doesn’t care about making details like hair colour for secondary characters true to the book, that would be a little too restrictive.

There’s not that many new characters for them to add in the sequel from what I understand, and with some of the big names dead they’re going to want to replace them with actors that will draw a crowd.

Edit: On second thought, "Spice makes you look 40 years younger" might be a tricky concept to pull off in a film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they mostly ignore it and go for an older actor with some make-up.

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 4, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just feel like Shaddam, and ultimately the entire Corrino family, are best expressed as kind of disappointing and lamer than you'd expect.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Someone is adapting Incal, which IIRC features a lot of Jodorowsky's ideas for Dune. Director announcement tomorrow I think.

https://www.theincalmovie.com/

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I just realized that the film doesn't even hint at Lady Jessica being the Baron's daughter. That's probably for the better? I mean he straight up wants to murder her by leaving her to the sand worms.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Martman posted:

I just feel like Shaddam, and ultimately the entire Corrino family, are best expressed as kind of disappointing and lamer than you'd expect.

Uh oh, the Jared Leto prophecy is becoming stronger...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I just realized that the film doesn't even hint at Lady Jessica being the Baron's daughter. That's probably for the better? I mean he straight up wants to murder her by leaving her to the sand worms.
As far as I remember, basically no one is actually aware of this fact and it really only comes to light through Paul's powers developing right?

e: Wait, that obviously wouldn't jibe with the Bene Gesserit's breeding scemes and plans for Jessica... I guess they definitely knew, but it is definitely only revealed through visions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Doesn’t that not come up until the second book?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Paul reveals Jessica's heritage in the tent scene in the book.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Typo posted:

also come on shadeout mapes drew the crysknife w/o shedding blood!

Wasn't she stabbed to death with that blade? So it was blooded in the end! Or did she give that to Jessica?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Cast Deborah Ann Woll as Emperor

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xealot posted:

Foundation found a way, so sure.

:thejoke:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Emperor Idris Elba

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good look for a movie to kill off all the black characters, one by the protagonist’s hand, and follow up with a sequel where the black emperor gets overthrown

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The United States posted:

Emperor Idris Elba

drat right. All of the good positions employed by House Corrino are Black for a reason.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tony leung would make a good Emperor

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve Yun posted:

Good look for a movie to kill off all the black characters, one by the protagonist’s hand, and follow up with a sequel where the black emperor gets overthrown

Man we are used to it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
pretty hosed up that paul only kills black peopl e

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

“Vladimir” played by a Swede and the rest of the harkonnens also miscast…Hollywood getting a little too comfortable with slavface after Black Widow and Borat. Hopefully the actor for Feyd will at least be Orthodox.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Martman posted:

As far as I remember, basically no one is actually aware of this fact and it really only comes to light through Paul's powers developing right?

e: Wait, that obviously wouldn't jibe with the Bene Gesserit's breeding scemes and plans for Jessica... I guess they definitely knew, but it is definitely only revealed through visions.

The Reverend mother who almost kills Paul is literally his grandma

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I completely forgot about that, lol

Ej
Apr 13, 2005

Finally got to see this, and feel like bleeding my thoughts out onto the sands of this thread.

Villeneuve is such a frustrating director to watch for movies like this because he is SO married to the first-person style of storytelling. Almost everything in this movie revolves around Paul, and how he personally experiences the story. It makes for a very visceral watch, and I feel like the most impressive parts of the movie are in the feel of it. The buildings are all massive brutalist behemoths, with cavernous and poorly lit interiors. It looks like these people live in mausoleums, and they behave like it. Their mood is as cavernous and dimly lit as the sets they inhabit. There is feeling there, and every once in a while it surfaces, but when it does it feels like violence, an upset of the natural balance. The only character who seems to break out of this mold is Duncan, and this makes sense as he is the bright spot in Paul's life. Everyone else is mostly muted and stoic. Paul's intuition of their impending doom looms over and colors everything, which is great for Paul's story ... but I wonder if there is going to be anything to tell here OTHER than Paul's story at the end of the day.

We get to see Paul's dreams and visions directly. We experience his time-skips when he is manipulated. We feel his dread for his family, and his apprehension at his future. And we feel his self-loathing, both at what he is and at what he is going to do. We don't get this for anyone else. Paul's parents TELL what they have hoped and dreamed, but only in relation to Paul own feelings. When Paul uses the voice on others, or others use it on people not-Paul, there is no missing time. There are moments where people interact without any relation to Paul, like when Gurney and Leto are surveying the city, but these are only used as info dumps. The motivations of some are made clear by their words and deeds, but that is all we ever get, we never get to FEEL other characters like we feel Paul. Yueh's actions obviously have a lot of different conflicting motivations behind them, but we never get to experience that conflict. He stoically and matter-of-factly tends to the Atreides, until he stoically and matter-of-factly betrays them, and then stoically and matter-of-factly gets killed. And what of Thufir? He obviously feels some warmth for Paul and feels like a failure because of the assassination attempt, but what about non-Paul related stuff? What does he think of the Atreides plan? Where the heck was he when the poo poo hit the fan? Did Yueh kill him? Did he commit suicide because of his epic failure? And then Gurney - he seems to have a kind of warrior priest or knight templar thing going on in this movie. Let me get into some of that. What are his thoughts/feelings on allying with the Fremen? Seems like they would have a lot in common. I like the one great outburst we get from him, on the brutality of the Harkonnen, but it is the only such one in the whole movie, and AGAIN it is directed at Paul. When he actually sees the Harkonnen coming to wipe out the Atreides, he is back to the stoic warrior priest, murmuring "God in heaven", and running into the fray. This has to be an absolutely apocalyptic moment for him, but he smothers it and goes on with his duty. Why go this route? Let me feel his rage, despair, crisis of faith, something!

The motivation of the antagonists are also a bit murky. I didn't catch much of any personal rivalry between Atreides and Harkonnen. The Baron mostly seemed miffed at temporarily losing his cash cow (MY Arrakis). His personal executions feel perfunctory, by the numbers. Join your wife. We've had blood feud for centuries but your line ends here. That's the extent of it, all in a monotone that seems like he barely cares about what is going on. I'll grant that that adds a certain chill to the Baron's character that could be interesting to explore, but still there is a feeling of seeing his character from a distance. We don't really get to know what is driving him, if anything (other than gluttony). Maybe that will be the point? That such high power leads to a kind of power-for-its-own-sake brand of nihilism? Again, could be an interesting direction to explore, but this movie doesn't seem to have any interest in going there. This is the pattern, over and over again. The only one worth exploring in any depth is Paul.

I think I could be more down with an opaque and grungy tale of political intrigue and revolution if it weren't for the fact that Paul's journey is so clear and sharply defined. If you are going to tell a story of power, revolution, sociology and ecology, why are you telling it ONLY through the lens of the person forcing the change? I want to believe that this is all a setup for a great shakeup in the next movie, where we get to see the galaxy from others' perspectives, maybe feel Paul's use of the voice on them or see their dreams as they are realized or destroyed by the galactic holy war. If such a turn comes I'll be ready to do a full 180 on this movie. But if it doesn't, this all plays to me like a powerful person's heroic fantasy. What if I could use my power to actually be the hero the world needs? What if I had a great injustice I could avenge at the same time? This feels like a waste of a great setting if we don't also add the question: how does everyone else feel about this? Without that, it reads like Watchmen told only through the eyes of Ozymandias.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Couple things im curious about ..are we still spoiling stuff? The Duke complains that the equipment the Harkonnens left them is trash but in the prologue part their spice collecting machines look totally different than the jawa sandcrawler things the Ateides use once they get there. Also Khal Drogo flys around in some stealth fighter looking thing on Calaban but on Arrakis they only use the dragonfly things which I think you see in the prologue as well. Are they just completely using old Harkonnen stuff? Did they just not bring any of their superior air power stuff Poe Dameron talks about at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe the notion that the Reverend Mother is Jessica's bio-mother only appears in the scribblings of the Pair Who Must Not Be Named. Not in the canon.