Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I have a few presets I use but the main two go back and forth between:

1. The brightest colors, the largest and loudest boosts and trails, and the deepest motor sound I can find for the psychological effects.

2. The most mute colors, the quietest and smallest boosts and trails, and the quietest motor sound effect I can find also for the psychological effects.

ELO keeps rising; Demo Ted is a lot of fun. Folks really keep insulting me with alleged meth use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Irregardless posted:

I have a few presets I use but the main two go back and forth between:

1. The brightest colors, the largest and loudest boosts and trails, and the deepest motor sound I can find for the psychological effects.

2. The most mute colors, the quietest and smallest boosts and trails, and the quietest motor sound effect I can find also for the psychological effects.

ELO keeps rising; Demo Ted is a lot of fun. Folks really keep insulting me with alleged meth use though.

Demos are great fun. I got this yesterday:

https://media.gifyourgame.com/HomelikeTrivalveQueenleaute_720p.mp4

Which led to this:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I only hop on once a week or so for a chat/catchup with friends, I'm a big fan of "random all" sets because we pay more attention to yelling at eachother than actually playing the game

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Omnikin posted:

I only hop on once a week or so for a chat/catchup with friends, I'm a big fan of "random all" sets because we pay more attention to yelling at eachother than actually playing the game

Speaking of Demos, Allushin set the RLCS record for demos in a game last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCouhPVHTl4&t=981s

18 in a single game. He didn't touch the ball. :stare:

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

pik_d posted:

Demos are great fun. I got this yesterday:

Which led to this:

That was a clean setup! I do enjoy clearing a whole team out to get the goal. Makes the salt in chat that much better :P

AirRaid posted:

Speaking of Demos, Allushin set the RLCS record for demos in a game last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCouhPVHTl4&t=981s

18 in a single game. He didn't touch the ball. :stare:

I never would've thought I'd see the day that demos were used so much in an RLCS game. The demo revolution is nigh.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Here are a couple quick ones from the last couple days:

Easy demos for 0 second team goal
https://imgur.com/a/lGEbJBh

Self-pass aerial demo for backflip goal
https://imgur.com/a/ocDR1GB

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Removing the 'Need Boost!' quick chat and disabling the bigger boosts for the first 5 seconds after a kickoff (like the powers in Rumble mode) would likely eliminate the source of almost all of my grievances with people in this game. Nobody ever "needs" boost at kickoff because you already have enough in addition to them being dotted all over the field.

Naturally trying to explain this idea and not leaving the goal completely open at the earliest possible chance is just met with resistance like any attempt at constructive communication in this game, but constantly being down 0-2 fifteen seconds into matches isn't registering as a learnable lesson for some reason. Even when I'm in a defensive position at kickoff it's not unusual to see one or two teammates completely ignore the ball to make a beelines for big boosts, and I have no idea what the solution is outside of somehow just disabling the incentive for people to do that for a few seconds.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Redezga posted:

Removing the 'Need Boost!' quick chat and disabling the bigger boosts for the first 5 seconds after a kickoff (like the powers in Rumble mode) would likely eliminate the source of almost all of my grievances with people in this game. Nobody ever "needs" boost at kickoff because you already have enough in addition to them being dotted all over the field.

Naturally trying to explain this idea and not leaving the goal completely open at the earliest possible chance is just met with resistance like any attempt at constructive communication in this game, but constantly being down 0-2 fifteen seconds into matches isn't registering as a learnable lesson for some reason. Even when I'm in a defensive position at kickoff it's not unusual to see one or two teammates completely ignore the ball to make a beelines for big boosts, and I have no idea what the solution is outside of somehow just disabling the incentive for people to do that for a few seconds.

At higher ranks where people can mostly be trusted to not lose the kickoff horribly the ideal kickoff strategy is for one person to get boost and one to cheat up behind the kickoff taker.

The problem is that most people get the back corner boost and turn up field without looking at where the ball is going. Defensively, the best thing is for one person to get the back corner boost that was behind the kickoff taker and then turn back to goal UNLESS you see the ball is going into the opponents half.

The other person should be cheating up softly (without boosting) if they don't know how the kickoff is going to go, or hard (with boost) if they trust the teammate to win it.

In 2s it's trickier, I prefer to soft cheat in 2s unless I'm with someone who doesn't ever win kickoffs, then I get boost and turn back to net. In both modes though, the cheat is very important because it can get your team instant possession after kickoff.

The other problem is that people don't know how to take kickoffs. A simple flip to get up to speed and another flip into the ball will serve people well into champ level lobbies. You want to make sure you're behind the ball relative to the opposite kickoff taker, and in front of the ball relative to your net.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Just poked my head into C3 and am still like what the hell am I doing here I can barely half flip

Lemon
May 22, 2003

How loose is the MMR in casual? Maybe 2 or 3 games out of 10 I'm going up against folks with Grand Champion titles but I'm only just staying in Diamond on ranked.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Casual MMR is a lot more loose than Ranked, and is also entirely separate so someone who plays no casual games will have a low MMR even if they're actually SSL. It doesn't mean too much. So you might get someone who's just persistently made their way up against tougher opponents, or a GC level player just hanging out with Diamonds to make some sick montage goals against people who won't make it too difficult for them.

Don't be scared of GC titles. People who only barely scraped into GC or got there with the help of a much better teammate love using their GC titles because they feel like they achieved something (which is fair), or they might be really good and not taking it seriously. And if they are a lot better than you, hey, it's a good opportunity to learn and actually see how better players play.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

pik_d posted:

At higher ranks where people can mostly be trusted to not lose the kickoff horribly the ideal kickoff strategy is for one person to get boost and one to cheat up behind the kickoff taker.

The problem is that most people get the back corner boost and turn up field without looking at where the ball is going. Defensively, the best thing is for one person to get the back corner boost that was behind the kickoff taker and then turn back to goal UNLESS you see the ball is going into the opponents half.

The other person should be cheating up softly (without boosting) if they don't know how the kickoff is going to go, or hard (with boost) if they trust the teammate to win it.

In 2s it's trickier, I prefer to soft cheat in 2s unless I'm with someone who doesn't ever win kickoffs, then I get boost and turn back to net. In both modes though, the cheat is very important because it can get your team instant possession after kickoff.

The other problem is that people don't know how to take kickoffs. A simple flip to get up to speed and another flip into the ball will serve people well into champ level lobbies. You want to make sure you're behind the ball relative to the opposite kickoff taker, and in front of the ball relative to your net.

Kickoffs are still one of the weakest parts of my game (champ 1/2). I have no idea how to get better, and I’m fairly consistently bad at them. Flipping while accelerating generally leaves the actual first touch rushed and inaccurate. I watch pros do it and I still don’t get how to do it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

AirRaid posted:

Kickoffs are still one of the weakest parts of my game (champ 1/2). I have no idea how to get better, and I’m fairly consistently bad at them. Flipping while accelerating generally leaves the actual first touch rushed and inaccurate. I watch pros do it and I still don’t get how to do it.

Play 1s and experiment with exactly when you flip the first time. If you're rushed you might be flipping too late, or you might be boosting when your car is pointed up, delaying your landing.

Playing private 1s on the discord can work too if you don't want to queue for 1s.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I hate 1s because I am filled with rage, which is fuelled by my own mistakes.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
last night i ranked up to Champ for the first time ever in 2v2, then proceeded to immediately score an own goal :negative:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

last night i ranked up to Champ for the first time ever in 2v2, then proceeded to immediately score an own goal :negative:

Yeah, but I bet it was really mechanical.

I'm at Diamond 3 div 4, and I'm terrified to play because I know I'm going to lose because I'm nervous and need 5 wins in a row to get back where I am.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah, i'm yoying between low diamond and champ 1 in 3s currently. I don't know what's up with me, I have these periods when I'm really good and then periods where i'm really bad. I think I get to champ 1 and I'm like oh poo poo, better not lose!! then I proceed to tense up and lose a bunch. then after a while I stop caring about winning and then start winning

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What's a realistic level to get to if you mostly solo 3v3s and are not a twitchy 16-year old?

Last night I lucked out and teamed up early with two dudes where we all played well together as a team and rotated and stuff. We played like ten matches and I reached Platinum for the first time. Now I'm scared to play again :ohdear:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

All of you who posted today should join or be more active in the discord.

https://discord.gg/RHbTKk7n

Mr. Glass, Lumpy, and hey mom its 420, there's plenty of diamond/champ players or you could just play together since you're all there.

pthighs, plats who play the private games on the discord turn into diamonds because you get a lot of good experience and advice from the people there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pthighs posted:

What's a realistic level to get to if you mostly solo 3v3s and are not a twitchy 16-year old?

My mid-30's self managed to solo queue 3's up to Champ 3 for several seasons in a row without practicing, just playing smart-ish.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

pik_d posted:

Mr. Glass, Lumpy, and hey mom its 420, there's plenty of diamond/champ players or you could just play together since you're all there.

pthighs, plats who play the private games on the discord turn into diamonds because you get a lot of good experience and advice from the people there.

Do centice/centice rooms still happen? Some of my favorite gaming nights have come from 3v3 or even 4v4 goon rooms.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

cage-free egghead posted:

Do centice/centice rooms still happen? Some of my favorite gaming nights have come from 3v3 or even 4v4 goon rooms.

Yeah that's the private games I mean, though they haven't been called centice/centice for a while. Currently they're lljk/lljk, we had to move off other names because other people used them (including goon/goon).

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Centice the OG

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pik_d posted:

I don't have a computer anywhere near my PS5 and I don't want to put Discord on my phone :tinfoil: Otherwise, I would!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lumpy posted:

I don't want to put Discord on my phone :tinfoil:

What?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

pthighs posted:

Last night I lucked out and teamed up early with two dudes where we all played well together as a team and rotated and stuff. We played like ten matches and I reached Platinum for the first time. Now I'm scared to play again :ohdear:

I’m 40 and bad at pressing buttons and I solo queued my way to gc1 in 2s. Dedicated practice and sufficient hours is all that really matters.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

I don't want to put Discord on my phone

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Discord has some pretty terrible privacy policies. Either way, it's not really a big deal to not use it on a phone. I never really did, either as I preferred using it on desktop.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

pik_d posted:

Yeah that's the private games I mean, though they haven't been called centice/centice for a while. Currently they're lljk/lljk, we had to move off other names because other people used them (including goon/goon).

There's even an lljk/lljk room up right now!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Lumpy posted:

I don't have a computer anywhere near my PS5 and I don't want to put Discord on my phone :tinfoil: Otherwise, I would!

Jump in anyway. We have several people who play despite not being in the voice channel. Without voice it will be tough to join us for ranked or casual, but you can for sure get into goon games. Just join in, if there is an open spot on a team at the start of a match, or at the end of a blowout get in.

My brother doesn't play rocket league, but his solution for a similar situation was getting a cheap referb Android tablet is pretty much just for Discord.

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 9, 2021

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The first RLCS LAN event is going on right now in Stockholm. This is the first LAN where Mid-East, Asian, and African teams were eligible to qualify and the Mid East qualifying team, Sandrock Gaming, is doing quite well. Teams from the non EU / NA regions are doing better than ever, it is going to be a very competitive tournament. You can watch here: https://twitch.tv/rocketleague

If you link your Rocket League platform's account and your Twitch account you can get rewards for watching / idling: https://esports.rocketleague.com/rewards/

Also, Psyonix released a mobile game, Rocket League Sideswipe. It works pretty well and you can unlock items that you can use in the real Rocket League.

And that's your Rocket League update for December.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks for the link. I don't generally give two shits about esports but I'm in meetings today and this is great to have on in the background.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I started playing this again a few days ago, and either I've magically gotten better or bronze players have become way worse. I can't begin to count how many times I've lost cause my loving teammates keep bumping me (or each other) out of the way

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
am I crazy or is there no good reason to go to the corner for boost if you're the back person on a kickoff?

like the initial boost is more than enough to make a save so you should either be following in case the kickoff gets deadlocked or staying in goal if you're really that worried about it. I've seen more balls than I should go into the net because of a second effort by the other team after a kickoff stalemate or a weird rebound/bounce that goes straight for goal and the other person is over in the corner and can't get back in time

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

morallyobjected posted:

am I crazy or is there no good reason to go to the corner for boost if you're the back person on a kickoff?

like the initial boost is more than enough to make a save so you should either be following in case the kickoff gets deadlocked or staying in goal if you're really that worried about it. I've seen more balls than I should go into the net because of a second effort by the other team after a kickoff stalemate or a weird rebound/bounce that goes straight for goal and the other person is over in the corner and can't get back in time

I'm going to assume you're talking about 2v2s for this, since in 3s there's more than one person to cover the different options.

It depends on a lot of things really. Mostly rank, but secondary to that is what's happened on previous kickoffs from whoever is taking them. At champ 2/3 I generally soft cheat (not using boost) to see what happens. If my teammate does well on kickoff I'll continue with that, if not I'll usually get the boost that is behind my teammate. If they lose it apocalyptically bad I'll stay in net but that's rare at that rank.

If your teammate is REALLY good they can control the kickoff to lose it to the back corner then it's really advantageous to get the corner boost as the ball will be coming to you, but at low ranks that's not gonna happen.

The other thing is that when I do go for the corner boost I'll keep an eye on the kickoff and only turn upfield after the boost pickup if I know I can be next to the ball, otherwise I pick up the boost and head back towards net to defend. That part is the thing that a lot of people (at all ranks) screw up. People pick up the boost then head upfield without checking the situation.

Basically if you're fast enough (turn, boost, flip towards the boost) the only way you don't save any shot is if your teammate absolutely blows the kickoff. If you're at a low enough rank where that's a real possibility then yes, stick in net, if not, either cheat up (preferred) or get the corner boost as fast as you can and turn back to net unless you know you can beat the opponents to the ball.

I am curious, what rank are you? And are you losing kickoffs often? At lower ranks it's super effective to boost a little, front flip, boost a little more and flip into the ball. You'll have to work on the timing but that's a perfectly serviceable kickoff up to champ level gameplay.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

pik_d posted:

I'm going to assume you're talking about 2v2s for this, since in 3s there's more than one person to cover the different options.

It depends on a lot of things really. Mostly rank, but secondary to that is what's happened on previous kickoffs from whoever is taking them. At champ 2/3 I generally soft cheat (not using boost) to see what happens. If my teammate does well on kickoff I'll continue with that, if not I'll usually get the boost that is behind my teammate. If they lose it apocalyptically bad I'll stay in net but that's rare at that rank.

If your teammate is REALLY good they can control the kickoff to lose it to the back corner then it's really advantageous to get the corner boost as the ball will be coming to you, but at low ranks that's not gonna happen.

The other thing is that when I do go for the corner boost I'll keep an eye on the kickoff and only turn upfield after the boost pickup if I know I can be next to the ball, otherwise I pick up the boost and head back towards net to defend. That part is the thing that a lot of people (at all ranks) screw up. People pick up the boost then head upfield without checking the situation.

Basically if you're fast enough (turn, boost, flip towards the boost) the only way you don't save any shot is if your teammate absolutely blows the kickoff. If you're at a low enough rank where that's a real possibility then yes, stick in net, if not, either cheat up (preferred) or get the corner boost as fast as you can and turn back to net unless you know you can beat the opponents to the ball.

I am curious, what rank are you? And are you losing kickoffs often? At lower ranks it's super effective to boost a little, front flip, boost a little more and flip into the ball. You'll have to work on the timing but that's a perfectly serviceable kickoff up to champ level gameplay.

I guess my question is what's your definition of losing a kickoff? there are times I go for possession and there are times I go for dumping it into the opponents' zone (I play this game with a very hockey mentality--not soccer/football), depending sometimes on the kind of play my partners show or how they communicate. If they say "On your left" I'm gonna try and direct it left and back but if they say nothing I'm probably just gonna try and dump it.

e: oh, forgot to mention rank. I'm pretty solidly in D3 with the very occasional slip up to C1 or down to D2 depending on partners or if I'm just having a poo poo run of things for a bit

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 30, 2021

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have managed to perfectly sum up solo queuing 3s in a single screenshot. This is after 2:27 of overtime...

(I'm veddermatic btw)

I still had fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lumpy posted:

I have managed to perfectly sum up solo queuing 3s in a single screenshot. This is after 2:27 of overtime...

(I'm veddermatic btw)

I still had fun.

when there was only one set of tire tracks, that was when you carried them

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

morallyobjected posted:

I guess my question is what's your definition of losing a kickoff? there are times I go for possession and there are times I go for dumping it into the opponents' zone (I play this game with a very hockey mentality--not soccer/football), depending sometimes on the kind of play my partners show or how they communicate. If they say "On your left" I'm gonna try and direct it left and back but if they say nothing I'm probably just gonna try and dump it.

e: oh, forgot to mention rank. I'm pretty solidly in D3 with the very occasional slip up to C1 or down to D2 depending on partners or if I'm just having a poo poo run of things for a bit

What I mean by losing kickoff is are you losing it in such a way that your goal is immediately under threat? In my experience people asking why people do X on kickoffs are asking because they are blaming their teammates for getting scored on straight off a kickoff that they took.

D3 is high enough that you won't see many people just sit in net when they're back on kickoff, so they'll either be cheating or getting boost. Both can be fine options so long as the kickoff doesn't go horribly wrong, which at D3 it shouldn't.

What I'm really getting at is you can't realistically change what your teammate is doing, but if your kickoff is putting them under pressure you can improve that. What kind of kickoff do you currently use? Boost/flip/boost/flip or just boost all the way then flip at the ball? It's good that you seem to be able to control where the ball goes though, I generally try to dump it to the side away from the opposition cheater as a sort of safety first measure. Doesn't always work of course.

Also there's loads of people in the discord around your rank (and higher/lower), you should join and play with us.

https://discord.gg/fDaz7abTvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I'm still terrible at kickoffs, and honestly, probably not great in general considering I have like 1700 hours in the game. Though I did take a break for...a couple of years, so I'm still working off whatever happens when one does that.

One of my "issues", such as it is, is that I still don't know the right way to go about practicing whatever I need to. Mechanically speaking.