Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i like the scene setup and lighting/shadows in this

ive come to understand that lighting is often the most important part of a scene. you can make something look really good without any textures at all, just good lighting

it’s not that dissimilar to photography especially in this regard.

part of doing this I reckon is you start paying attention to everything a bit differently. especially photography and art, but also just real life. noticing how the light can change a room etc. I get a lot of inspiration just from poo poo I see during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

it’s not that dissimilar to photography especially in this regard.

part of doing this I reckon is you start paying attention to everything a bit differently. especially photography and art, but also just real life. noticing how the light can change a room etc. I get a lot of inspiration just from poo poo I see during the day.

yeah check out this render i found online:

here it is without any real texturing. it already looks great just because of the lighting design, depth of field, and composition. you could totally do art like this and people would still like it:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i always tell my students that there are five elements to making beautiful renders. roughly in order of importance:

- the quality and detail of the modeling
- the lighting setup
- the camera (mostly composition, but also camera effects)
- the surrounding environment and render context
- the materials

arguably materials could be higher up, but as fart simpson notes you can make gorgeous renders with plain gray diffuse materials, and i order them this way specifically to emphasize that fact. i find that students tend to get overly focused on screwing with the material settings to try to make their renders look right, when their problem is much more often something like their lighting is dull or their model has no detail. throwing a 4k carbon fiber texture on it won't fix that

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 3, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

figured out a way to cheat a fake cloth sim animation of a flag blowing in the wind, entirely in geo nodes. needs a bit of tweaking but i think i can get it looking pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/7ks39nS.mp4

nodes are here, in case this is useful to anyone this month:

the trick is basically making a noisy surface to raycast your plane onto, and using a frame driver to adjust the noise itself. then you scale the set position offset based on something to "pin" it in place, in this case i just went along an axis so it looks like one side of it is pinned

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Thanks for these excellent tips everyone! Starting day 3/4 now :)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

this is really cool but i doubt i have time to learn any of these pieces of software to do such a thing

will try something else out that's similar-ish, hopefully it comes out good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

figured out a way to cheat a fake cloth sim animation of a flag blowing in the wind, entirely in geo nodes. needs a bit of tweaking but i think i can get it looking pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/7ks39nS.mp4

nodes are here, in case this is useful to anyone this month:

the trick is basically making a noisy surface to raycast your plane onto, and using a frame driver to adjust the noise itself. then you scale the set position offset based on something to "pin" it in place, in this case i just went along an axis so it looks like one side of it is pinned

very nice, looks like you have four sided already sorted :cheeky:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

went with a 3-side courtyard. then i updated my blender and realized they completely changed geometry nodes (for the better imo) but also im not going back to propertly instance a/c units only on the sides now.

and a view of the entire thing

awesome work! and the nice thing about blender is you can keep around as many copies as you want. blender-launcher is very good for this https://github.com/DotBow/Blender-Launcher/releases/tag/v1.14.1

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Share Bear posted:

this is really cool but i doubt i have time to learn any of these pieces of software to do such a thing

will try something else out that's similar-ish, hopefully it comes out good

Don't fret over that, a couple youtube videos on geometry nodes and maybe shader nodes is all you need. I've started from basically scratch and was up to speed in a few hours.

Since most of the Nodevember stuff doesn't really require modeling skills it's super accessible. Give it a shot!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I was worried working on blender through a vpn over hotel Wi-Fi would be a nightmare but it’s not that bad. working on something 4-sided

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

replacing a bunch of math with one map range node… blissful

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

replacing a bunch of math with one map range node… blissful

he'll yeah i did this today too

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Day 3/4 - 4 Sided - Cube Tube

https://imgur.com/YT5BtD9

e. I can't get .mp4 to embed in bbcode.

FalseNegative fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 4, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i love cube tube

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FalseNegative posted:

https://imgur.com/YT5BtD9.mp4

very cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I managed to make something that my gpu absolutely hates, no idea why. maybe a 3.0 bug

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FalseNegative posted:

https://imgur.com/YT5BtD9

sick, that looks really cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

I managed to make something that my gpu absolutely hates, no idea why. maybe a 3.0 bug

yeah same, although i guess in my case its a lot of noise textures with high detail and roughness, plus subsurface scattering

im gonna have to leave this rendering overnight probably

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in case anything crashes during the animation rendering, here's a still frame for my "4 sided" entry.

it's tibetan prayer flags

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i know sagebrush said materials don’t matter but im kinda proud of that flag material. it took me a lot of experimentation to get something to look appropriate, even if it is a little janky

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

in case anything crashes during the animation rendering, here's a still frame for my "4 sided" entry.

This is super cool! I can't wait to see the animation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i know sagebrush said materials don’t matter but im kinda proud of that flag material. it took me a lot of experimentation to get something to look appropriate, even if it is a little janky

well materials absolutely matter and you can do incredible things with them.

i think i just have that reaction because students tend to overemphasize the importance of material setting and ignore everything else. they'll download some fancy material and complain that it doesn't look right but it's because their modeling is lazy and only has sharp edges, and they used a gray gradient hdri environment.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

optix definitely doesn’t like some things that cuda can process. i’ve had to switch back for a couple fluid sim renders and I’ve gotten used to how fast my new card plus optix is and it’s hard to go back

idk that’s what’s happening for you, not sure if you’ve tried downgrading but if not maybe thats a solution.

i’ve just left mine overnight coz i’m doing some serious volume stuff and it’s taking more than a minute to do less than a hundred samples. lol

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

was gonna do the prompt last night and got sucked into just messing around with a completely unrelated render but it looked cool! i got the 3.0 beta and am watching a geometry nodes rundown playlist for 3.0 and will make something tonight. :)

also hell yeah those prayer flags look good and you did a great job on the material

also, my falling out of interest on current generation games lessened by urge for a new GPU but now it's resurfaced because I wanna render shiny pretty things faster lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I made this with nodes. I don’t really do well with external suggestions so it doesn’t really meet any criteria for nodevember but it’s also made with nodes so I am sharing it regardless so take that nodevember!!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I made this with nodes. I don’t really do well with external suggestions so it doesn’t really meet any criteria for nodevember but it’s also made with nodes so I am sharing it regardless so take that nodevember!!!!

use it for “round”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

these are good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

There was more to this but like I said my gpu hates it for some reason, and it turns out my cpu didn't care for it either. may try rendering it again once I have a newer version.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ObedientWiltedBrahmancow-mobile.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ndQuPyC.mp4

that's all nodes baby
here's the file if you dare https://mega.nz/folder/wIVyBTSY#zqhVXZoi8BhspHCvTsoTtw

edit to fix links

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 5, 2021

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

echinopsis posted:

Super neat! I guess that's sub-sufrace scattering? It looks really biological, I love it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

this owns echi, definitely in the spirit of the thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://i.imgur.com/tGM9J8y.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

incredible! imagine saving a bunch of time on cloth sims with this one weird trick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hell yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

not that happy with how the animation worked out... it's going a little too fast imo and i liked the shadows from this still image i did earlier when testing the flag materials:

but once i started animating stuff i couldnt get it tuned quite right i guess

all the geo nodes for the whole scene are here. i already posted the trick about flapping in the wind upthread:

flag material is here:

and higher res video is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDhfOJjfXMY

https://mega.nz/file/ANhw1IjA#ZOosOuV05fmzW9xs7gXkldve5Qawvtc_4Z3Pqfn3idc

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 5, 2021

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

FalseNegative posted:

Don't fret over that, a couple youtube videos on geometry nodes and maybe shader nodes is all you need. I've started from basically scratch and was up to speed in a few hours.

Since most of the Nodevember stuff doesn't really require modeling skills it's super accessible. Give it a shot!

plz post some playlists targeted at someone like me who has literally zero blender experience other than downloading the app and demo files as real-world computer stress tests

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Fantastic!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jimmy Carter posted:

plz post some playlists targeted at someone like me who has literally zero blender experience other than downloading the app and demo files as real-world computer stress tests

Sure!

I used some of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbzlyubfGbQ

And this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8xTV3IP3A

And really past that I just browsed youtube for "shader <thing> blender" and worked off of those to learn how to do procedural materials.

I am sure to put 3.0 in my searches though because geometry nodes got a bit of an overhaul from 2.9 to 3.0 as I understand it.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
so glad I clicked on this thread! i loving love node stuff. couple programs not mentioned in the OP, Blackmagic Fusion and Rhino + Grasshopper.
i've started seriously abusing grasshopper recently to control a couple of staubli arms ( in theory; waiting for 3-phase to be installed).
middleware took a bit of doing, as the native ironpython stuff is garbage, but with some fiddling you can use whatever python you want. had to write it as theres no kukaprc equivalent for a long eol'd staubli arms.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to compile a list, not necessarily how to do things but more like things to watch out for. For example, the way blender handles materials is not particularly obvious at first and still feels clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fins posted:

so glad I clicked on this thread! i loving love node stuff. couple programs not mentioned in the OP, Blackmagic Fusion and Rhino + Grasshopper.
i've started seriously abusing grasshopper recently to control a couple of staubli arms ( in theory; waiting for 3-phase to be installed).
middleware took a bit of doing, as the native ironpython stuff is garbage, but with some fiddling you can use whatever python you want. had to write it as theres no kukaprc equivalent for a long eol'd staubli arms.

sounds cool op, if you can share some node based robot videos that would be badass