Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

building a simple one-room cabin is super easy, if you can follow simple directions and watch 2 hours worth of instructional videos on youtube you can do it.

can he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I feel confident that anyone who is competent to operate a motor vehicle has the mental capacity and physical capability to build a simple one room cabin out of 2x4s and plywood.

they may need another person to help with the roof tho if they live somewhere that it snows and you cant have a flat roof.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

I feel confident that anyone who is competent to operate a motor vehicle has the mental capacity and physical capability to build a simple one room cabin out of 2x4s and plywood.

they may need another person to help with the roof tho if they live somewhere that it snows and you cant have a flat roof.

how’d you do the basement? seems like a lot of work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where does the pool table go

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

rotor posted:

everyone in this thread so far is talking about buying their first home somewhere cheap because where they have to spend most of their time is too expensive.

So to answer your question, somewhere between 0 and 1.

have to? there are other places on this gay earth than california and no one is making you come into daily standup at the HENRY factory anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
there are also some pretty cool house kits these days. one company cncs everything you need and mails it to you then you basically just put it together.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

id be fuckin' all about like moving to new hampshire or something i think. and yes i know how much snow they get.

Jonny move to my hometown lmao

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you want snow, then Buffalo area / Adirondacks area in upstate NY is what you want if you don't want to go full nutso and go to Anchorage

the only problem is the cheapest real estate is out in the boonies (not near any lakes, richie riches buy lake houses) where you can come home to a bunch of redneck chud hunters lounging on your couch and Lay-Z-Boy who will either shoot you immediately on entering or apologize with 'we didnt think anyone was using this house so we broke in'

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Binary Badger posted:

If you want snow, then Buffalo area / Adirondacks area in upstate NY
love their wings and their chairs, respectively. combining the two is +EV

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
We visited the Adirondacks for a weekend trip last spring, up near the Canadian border. It was loving wonderful. Cheap as hell too.

Fair warning: We are getting a child out of that trip, so tread lightly up there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wanna reiterate that Adirondacks is super chudsy and if you move there your neighbors will be super ex-military chuds on disability who think a good ol' time is plinking cans with their poo poo 22s with your house in the firing radius / downrange

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Binary Badger posted:

wanna reiterate that Adirondacks is super chudsy and if you move there your neighbors will be super ex-military chuds on disability who think a good ol' time is plinking cans with their poo poo 22s with your house in the firing radius / downrange

thats fine this is me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

who think a good ol' time is plinking cans with their poo poo 22s

i agree with them (but probably would not be friends)

Binary Badger posted:

with your house in the firing radius / downrange

oh no ive made a mistake

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
We visited Potsdam, which is a tiny college town, and as a result pleasantly more progressive than we anticipated.

Lots of chuddy poo poo in the surrounding area, but it only took a weekend for us to put it on our candidate list for places to retire to someday.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm with ya - once little jones is grown, i'll be happy in basically any college town (that isn't a weirdo religious college)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
college towns are fun because they all have one of Those Pizza Joints that tries to name everything super wacky

they always have a Fungus Amongus mushroom pizza

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

they always have a Fungus Amongus mushroom pizza

this is the hidden truth of middle america that no one wants to acknowledge

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I was in Columbus OH in the spring of 2008. Half the stores on High Street by the OSU campus foreclosed and was boarded up overnight.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

axolotl farmer posted:

I was in Columbus OH in the spring of 2008. Half the stores on High Street by the OSU campus foreclosed and was boarded up overnight.

the 08 crash hit really loving hard. half of mayfield road here went out of business

places like jeannette in PA never recovered

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

standard jack off cabin

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

rotor posted:

unless your name is doobie

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cat Face Joe posted:

standard jack off cabin
a whack shack. A fling-goo lean-to. A squirt yurt. A morning woodshed. A genital massage garage.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

a whack shack. A fling-goo lean-to. A squirt yurt. A morning woodshed. A genital massage garage.

the nut hut

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

rotor posted:

the nut hut

y'all knock that off or i'm (heh) tossing you (hehehe) into the frig brig

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

splodge lodge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jizz jalopy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ye olde frottage cottage

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

swelling dwelling

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cum palace

wait i think i did it wrong

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

the lube lounge

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

o-face edifice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

ye olde frottage cottage

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

spunk bunker

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rub hub

splorch porch

peepee teepee

load abode

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

punchin' popemobile

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

boffin' coffin

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
big shots bunker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Masturbation Mansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

skeet retreat