Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a wd raptor hard drive do I could game more better. Raptors was 10,000 rpm when most drives in the early 2000s we're 56 or 7800 rpm (I think). Mine was only 32gb and I could fit windows and doom 3 in it and I was happy.

https://louwrentius.com/an-ode-to-the-10000-rpm-western-digital-velociraptor.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

obeyasia posted:

I got a wd raptor hard drive do I could game more better. Raptors was 10,000 rpm when most drives in the early 2000s we're 56 or 7800 rpm (I think). Mine was only 32gb and I could fit windows and doom 3 in it and I was happy.

https://louwrentius.com/an-ode-to-the-10000-rpm-western-digital-velociraptor.html

they also had a window on the drive case

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

graph posted:

making sure to occasionally pull out my HDD and look through the window while saying "hmmmm, yes" and stroking my chin thoughtfully

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh there were people that did DIY drive windows.

What they'd do is put a giant pot of water on the stove and seal up the kitchen exits and vents with plastic and steam all the dust out of the air. then disassemble, dremel the window in (obviously in another similarly isolated space) and glue the plexi on, then reassemble.

It was way before perpendicular recording or anything like that so it had a reasonable success rate

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i just assume when a hard drive has been opened, it is destroyed

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

obeyasia posted:

my current machine originally had 4x 74gb raptors in a raid0 as the boot drive

when it started failing SSDs were cheap enough, though they weren't really faster until nvme came later

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the comp shop refused to sell ssds because tHeyRe sO eXpeNsIvE

so we sold raptors for Gaming Boxes

ugh

it did keep me in a steady stream of failed raptors. one time i sent in a 70gb OG raptor and got a 150 velociraptor and put it in my machine. thought i was hot poo poo. It, of course, died after 6mo. Traaaaash

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

oh there were people that did DIY drive windows.

What they'd do is put a giant pot of water on the stove and seal up the kitchen exits and vents with plastic and steam all the dust out of the air. then disassemble, dremel the window in (obviously in another similarly isolated space) and glue the plexi on, then reassemble.

It was way before perpendicular recording or anything like that so it had a reasonable success rate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that reminds me i have an old drive with a fried board from a time when those were still swappable, might try to get a spare from one of the big old wonky parts stores online

it probably has old school projects on it but as the only old drive not backed up it bothers me

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

obeyasia posted:

i did exactly this too and it made a pretty significant difference. i only had an athlon 2100 and some mid range video card but i got better frames than my buddies with nvidia tis.

ssds really were such a lifesaver when they came along

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Presto posted:

Yeah, one of my textbooks in college had an essay about Cray weirdness. Like there were numbers that were zero as far as the adder was concerned but not zero to the multiplier. And there were cases where if x was a large value, and 2.0 * x would overflow, then 1.0 * x would overflow too.

but if you could handle the weirdness the throughput you could get was insane

remember that consumers only got something with the performance of a circa 1982–1985 Cray X-MP in 1999–2000, and workstation availability was only a few years earlier

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

obeyasia posted:

5400 and 7200 RPM

even in the late 1990s workstations and servers were using 10Krpm and faster disks

I once put a 15Krpm and a 15.1Krpm SCA disk into a SPARCstation 20, which puts hard disks one atop the other, without thinking about the very loud 100Hz hum that would generate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

graph posted:

the 14-inch Shugart hard disk drives used by PERQ did this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

by the way, don’t forget to park the heads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh yeah, also, cray sold a 1GB SSD for the X-MP in the 1980s and DEC sold SSDs in the 1980s and 1990s

they were battery-backed RAM mediated by a CPU implementing a disk interface, so they were insanely expensive, but they were a thing that was actually on the market

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my dad worked at Bull on dps7 mainframes and they had hard disks with removable platter spindles that they carried around in big plastic cases

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_pack

we usually had one or two of these things lying around at home

i saw it in action once and the hard drive was the size of a washing machine, the spindle was loaded at the top, then it took like a couple minutes to spin up until there was enough airflow to deploy the heads

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my dad has a platter from one of those, it's bigger than a dinner plate

I think the story was someone dropped one of those spindles/cases full of platters...so uh, hey who wants a free computer tchotchke? cuz that's all these things are good for now!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Agile Vector posted:

that reminds me i have an old drive with a fried board from a time when those were still swappable, might try to get a spare from one of the big old wonky parts stores online

it probably has old school projects on it but as the only old drive not backed up it bothers me

doxxing myself but you reminded me that i recovered a hdd board many years ago, back when i thought poo poo was worth writing about

https://www.mathewinkson.com/2009/05/unbricking-a-seagate-barracuda

nokia lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

oh yeah, also, cray sold a 1GB SSD for the X-MP in the 1980s and DEC sold SSDs in the 1980s and 1990s

they were battery-backed RAM mediated by a CPU implementing a disk interface, so they were insanely expensive, but they were a thing that was actually on the market

in general it is kind of interesting to wonder whether you could make computers with like 5x the single-thread performance of other current offerings for 100x the money today. with very little basis kind of guess that you could, exotic materials and construction still being things. but while there is probably still some market for such things the engineering effort is just low-margin at even vast markups because the talent is way more profitably employed at actual at-scale work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

5400 and 7200 RPM

even in the late 1990s workstations and servers were using 10Krpm and faster disks

I once put a 15Krpm and a 15.1Krpm SCA disk into a SPARCstation 20, which puts hard disks one atop the other, without thinking about the very loud 100Hz hum that would generate

oh back in AR i had a setup with four 15k SCA drives in raid5.

one day i found a random_seek_test.sh script for linux, ran it, and immediately hit the deck to avoid, to my ears, what appeared to be an incoming burst of Vulcan cannon fire

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
congrats intel you did it, you made a 10nm intel desktop chip. 1st new process since skylake in tyool 2015. tick toooooooooooooock as they say. keep it up!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

eschaton posted:

5400 and 7200 RPM

i was loving around with a couple old 10Krpm scsi drives a few years ago. threw them into an old case. they started getting slower... and slower... and i was wondering what the hell was happening until i remembered that the little 3.5" drive cage inside the case had the drives right next to each other, like pretty much physical contact.

the drives had gotten way too hot lol. like i touched one and it was painfully hot.

after i powered off and separated them and let them cool off, they worked fine again

but yeah back around 2006-2007 i snagged a couple of used white-label 15Krpm SCA drives off ebay, 36GB and 72GB. system drive, games drive. worked great.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah i spun down my stupid raid xeon box eventually because one day i checked smartctl on that array and the drives were just idling at 67C and i was like lmao gently caress this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

congrats intel you did it, you made a 10nm intel desktop chip. 1st new process since skylake in tyool 2015. tick toooooooooooooock as they say. keep it up!

they benchmark slightly faster in certain tasks when compared with amd's year old offerings while using more than 2x the power

naturally this means amd is finished, pack it up amdailures, etc...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also they do it with 4400mhz ddr5 ram, compared to (most of the time) 3200mhz ddr4. zen4 will resume the wreckage

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

also they do it with 4400mhz ddr5 ram, compared to (most of the time) 3200mhz ddr4. zen4 will resume the wreckage

and by the time zen4 is out, 64 gigs of ddr5 ram likely won't cost more than the processor or motherboard

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

that reminds me i have an old drive with a fried board from a time when those were still swappable

When and how did this stop being a thing? I still use platter drives a lot as secondaries.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh quite a while ago. boards are tuned to the individual drive mechanism wrt positionings and how that particular spindle assembly is performing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im dumb, i know, but how does data recovery from dead drives even work at the shop-with-a-clean-room level? just swap the platters into a new enclosure?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

im dumb, i know, but how does data recovery from dead drives even work at the shop-with-a-clean-room level? just swap the platters into a new enclosure?

nah you just get a magnifying glass and read the secrets. sometimes you need a lil projector enlarger thingy for the jpgs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in my experience with drivesavers:

1: charge your account a $500 deposit
2: receive the drive
3: bring into clean room
4: disassemble
5: grind old dogshit into the platters, run a 3/16" drill through a few spots, laugh and pound a shot of whiskey
6: bill for an additional $400 and say "sorry too far gone"

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
FTSUJR: putting a failing 2000s HDD in the freezer to fix the bearings or whatever and successfully recovering data from it in the roughly 60 minutes or so of life it would give you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hell yes, also smacking the side of the hard drive case with the butt of a screwdriver to get the platters unstuck when the bearings fail, to make it work a little bit longer.

as a late 90’s/early 2000’s helpdesk jockey, this was my go to when peoples drives died

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

FTSUJR: putting a failing 2000s HDD in the freezer to fix the bearings or whatever and successfully recovering data from it in the roughly 60 minutes or so of life it would give you.

oh yeah I remember that. why did that work

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

in my experience with drivesavers:

only had to use it once back in the cj days but they actually got everything. it cost the person 2gr, but they did it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm pretty sure you can still do board swaps with the right equipment, you just need to dump the calibration data from the chips on the dead board and copy it to the replacement.

if whatever killed the board also wiped out the calibration data then you might be in trouble.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

my stepdads beer posted:

metal parts get smaller when it's cold (like my balls), which gives extra clearance between the moving parts in the bearings. if they're seized up then that can be enough to let them spin again, until the heat produced by running them makes them unshrink.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

my stepdads beer posted:

:george voice: it's shrinkage. shrinkage

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

falcon northwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

falcon northwest

Alienware. I wish I could find an old beat up black Alienware cap. My best computer friend had one he won at a lan party. He died a few years ago. He wrote that dang thing proudly all the time. I miss you Johnny.