Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://splashdot.github.io/scam1/

This was interesting: a scam specifically targeting those smart enough to take advantage of an IDOR, but not smart enough to realize they're being baited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.trustwave.com/en-us/resources/blogs/spiderlabs-blog/crypkey-license-service-allows-privilege-escalation/
https://www.trustwave.com/en-us/resources/security-resources/security-advisories/?fid=29486

quote:

06/11/2021 - Initial email to vendor
06/17/2021 - 2nd attempt to contact vendor
06/17/2021 - Vendor replies "Not interested"
06/17/2021 - Responded to vendor with details and severity
08/02/2021 - New attempt to persuade vendor to investigate
11/01/2021 - Final outreach attempt
11/04/2021 - Advisory published

lol

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Disappointed this wasn’t called CrypKeeper with a fancy website and custom domain. c’mon trustwave have some fun with it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

looks like it's mostly used as copy protection for all kinds of SCADA poo poo, cool, cool

mystes
May 31, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

looks like it's mostly used as copy protection for all kinds of SCADA poo poo, cool, cool
Luckily privilege escalation isn't a big deal when everyone's just vncing in with a shared administrator password.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
cryyper

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mystes posted:

Luckily privilege escalation isn't a big deal when everyone's just vncing in with a shared administrator password.

lol :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo VNC. I forgot about that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welcome to OT networks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

idk, seems to me the gently caress up would be allowing anyone who you don't expect to have admin the ability to login to control systems at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use VNC every day to talk to my windows vm on my linux server that runs some ham radio software that connects to a raspberry pi thats hooked to a 35 year old radio. works great

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like thats VNC's primary purpose; as but one portion of a rube goldbergian contraption designed to do a thing so esoteric that there isnt a turnkey solution for it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i use VNC every day to talk to my windows vm on my linux server that runs some ham radio software that connects to a raspberry pi thats hooked to a 35 year old radio. works great

This is very similar to the average OT network tbh

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i use nomachine instead of vnc. it works pretty well.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

There's nothing wrong with vnc if you're tunneling it over something more secure, it's just that it's traditionally unencrypted and secured only with a single password, although there are more secure versions, so it has historically tended to get exposed to the internet in very insecure configurations and encouraged people to share passwords.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use VNC to prepare my PC for GameStream/Steam Link because apparently putting a feature into either that will automatically change resolution without creating weird scaling or aspect ratio issues would be too hard.

This all takes place on my own network, though. It's not exposed to the internet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
shout out to the sr network engineer at a regional retail company that had a vnc box with no password whatsoever sitting under his desk.

guess what the entry point was for the pen test consultant team to go from zero to domain admin in about 2 hours, from a store computer vlan?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

finally we know da vnc code

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-73qr-pfmq-6rp8

quote:

The npm package coa had versions published with malicious code. Users of affected versions (2.0.3 and above) should downgrade to 2.0.2 as soon as possible and check their systems for suspicious activity. See this issue for details as they unfold.
Any computer that has this package installed or running should be considered fully compromised. All secrets and keys stored on that computer should be rotated immediately from a different computer. The package should be removed, but as full control of the computer may have been given to an outside entity, there is no guarantee that removing the package will remove all malicious software resulting from installing it.

This is pretty bad, lol.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

we clearly need node but on blockchain so we can know which versions are bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

COA is a parser for command line options that aim to get maximum profit from formalization your program API.

what

mystes
May 31, 2006

COA is parser for command line options that good grammar (and also malware!)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

terrible coa incidents. :v:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-g2q5-5433-rhrf posted:

rc

The non-configurable configuration loader for lazy people.

:thunk: humm I wonder why they picked this one to infect, too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Love the vague feeling of nausea as I hit enter on my command to check the versions of a potentially compromised node package that is on my system even though I never installed it directly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've got it, but an old version. Good job I've been ignoring the dependabot PRs for years!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Welcome to OT networks.

Everytime i interact with OT im stunned with how loving low effort every thing in that space is.

I get that a lot of it needs a light footprint but the poo poo used to manage the stuff is also straight outta 2005.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

npm :manning:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

home:
code:
aj@x64 ~  % npm list
/home/aj
└── (empty)
code:
aj@aj-home ~  % npm list
/Users/aj
└── (empty)
work:
code:
aj@poodleparty ~  % npm list
zsh: command not found: npm
code:
aj@aj-macbookpro ~  % npm list
zsh: command not found: npm
not being a webdev any more owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

realtalk why does npm get got so often when rubygems, python's thing whatever it is, and cpan don't seem to hit this despite broadly similar models? is it because of javascript's lovely stdlib that has taught people to import a million packages for everything, so one being bad has a higher blast radius? different skill level of the community? wider usage?

i suspect a combination of all that but :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Speaking of node, I have a long-standing belief that you can tell the quality of a project immediately by how well its build system is set up. Node is at the bottom of that list.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

realtalk why does npm get got so often when rubygems, python's thing whatever it is, and cpan don't seem to hit this despite broadly similar models? is it because of javascript's lovely stdlib that has taught people to import a million packages for everything, so one being bad has a higher blast radius? different skill level of the community? wider usage?

maybe they do get hit and no one has noticed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Achmed Jones posted:

is it because of javascript's lovely stdlib that has taught people to import a million packages for everything, so one being bad has a higher blast radius? different skill level of the community?

probably these two. even a tiny little project that depends on a single popular framework will import an unreal amount of dependencies. also, javascript developers aren't very smart people, and don't quite understand what they're doing, or the consequences of their actions.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

probably these two. even a tiny little project that depends on a single popular framework will import an unreal amount of dependencies. also, javascript developers aren't very smart people, and don't quite understand what they're doing, or the consequences of their actions.

very few people will voluntarily remain javascript developers once they understand what they are doing, and the consequences of their actions

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

it's because rubygems doesn't make it easy to run arbitrary code every time it installs or packages a release

when you type "npm install" to download a dependency, that dependency can also come with pre-install hooks which can execute code before the dependency even finishes installing

it's quite simple since they don't have to even look at the original project's code to add an exploit. they just add a line to the package.json that executes their malicious file directly

a quick stackoverflow skim says it takes a lot of customization and hoop-jumping to set that up in rubygems, but NPM supports those hooks right out of the box and has them turned on by default

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah it's trivial in rubygems https://www.rubydoc.info/github/rubygems/rubygems/Gem.post_install

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

could also be that rubygems has better security re: compromised accounts fuckin up packages (or demographic differences where owners don't use mfa etc)

i havent used cpan in like uhh almost 20 years now so no idea what's going on there

Penisface posted:

very few people will voluntarily remain javascript developers once they understand what they are doing, and the consequences of their actions

lol this really does match with, like, 95% of the devs i know. there's a couple that purposefully touch js but dang it aint many

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i work at a ruby shop and it does happen but infrequently. one strong advantage for ruby is that it’s a dead language that it’s only used by a handful of senior developers world-wide, so the payoff for building a custom vuln for some rails factory #9363 is quite low

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that's true enough. once ruby stopped being the bootcamp du jour a lot of things changed with it

of course that whole section of my resume is basically useless now but i suppose it doesn't really matter. and im sure that if i really want to ever touch ruby again there'll always be a few legacy rails shops limping along. and tons of people use puppet but ehhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
rails being ~omakase~ probably had some incidental security benefits here. it has a pretty sprawling dependency tree but a lot fewer of those dependencies are just some rando's side project and there is at least theoretically someone looking at the entire dependency tree and vaguely validating it.