Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pentyne posted:

Squid Game is great, but it really felt like the first few episodes it was shoving too much stuff in. Episode 6 is probably the best episode by far and that's about the point where the side plot stuff got dropped.

Went downhill for me after the VIPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bagrada posted:

Ugh I just finished two weeks of binging the Mike Flanagan Netflix shows (watched Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House, & Haunting of Bly Manor for the first time each in that order) and now I don't know what to do with myself. They had their ups and downs but hit me at the right moment I guess, since I'd previously bounced off Hill House. I'm annoyed at how much of a sucker I am for some narration with the same melody played over it for 26 episodes Dignity/I Want to Wake up so Badly/Love Story respectively.

I guess I've got 6 episodes of Evil season 2 left, maybe that will do the trick.

Watch Gerald's Game IMO, it's one of his more thematically resonant works for me. I love the Hauntings, Black Mass was okay, but I think it would've worked better as a movie.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am a sinner who does not expect forgiveness but I am not a government official

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

UGH you guys I LOVE the Blindspotting show. It’s seriously excellent. I need Idiom or someone else who watches everything to co-sign this one

Yeah I'm three episodes in and I loving love it. Gorgeous looking, really likeable cast, and the way it manages its tones is fantastic.

Like, a strong control over tone and good dialogue isn't the most important thing for television, which is good because that poo poo is not common. But this show has both, and it's so loving good to see.

Hell, just the way this show does its opening credits. Makes a statement, but it's understated at the same time. Good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hate watching The Lost Symbol and there's a grammatical error in pompous loving pre-titles explainer that all the worst genre shows have, so we're off to a good start already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat…..you’re a braver man than I

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I've seen that the next season of Another Life is on Netflix, and since I'm bored, I figured, eh, lets watch this. Maybe it gets better on the second attempt.

They're still doing offensively bad science. They're fleeing a debris wave of an exploded planet with their faster-than-light ship, and are still being outran by the debris. What in the gently caress. This is gonna be glorious. Jesus Christ, this is so bad.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 4, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Me explaining to someone why Apple is my favourite streaming service this year. And this isn’t even including stuff like Lisey’s Story, which I missed, and Morning Show, which is a hilarious hatewatch for me right now. Seriously how tf did they level up so quickly?

quote:

For All Mankind s2 was amazing, Ted Lasso s2 was amazing, Mythic Quest s2 owned, Servant s2 was super fun, Home Before Dark s2 was real good, Foundation isn’t my thing but seems to be working for people who like that sort of dry sci-fi poo poo, Swagger s1 is very promising so far, Dickinson had a great second season AND the third is premiering tomorrow, Trying s2 was lovely and had an amazing soundtrack by one of my favourite pop artists, Physical and Mr. Corman didn’t always work but were always interesting and great at their best, Central Park s2 and Schmigadoon were quite good, they have a new k-drama called Dr. Brain that I’m watching the first episode of which seems promising, and The Shrink Next Door starts in a week and a bit and looks great. and that’s ALL stuff that aired in 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Escobarbarian posted:

Seriously how tf did they level up so quickly?

Money.

Seriously, that's it. They have the ability to outbid everyone else including Disney on projects and they have the largest war chest for production as well. They are in the growth phase and Apple's long term strategy is moving to a service based revenue platform.

That and data harvesting. Apple datamines the gently caress out of viewing habits. That's why apple TV app integration exists. Every time you watch something through the Apple tv app, they collect that and since so many services plug into it, they have one of the broadest view of that data of anyone out there.

They know what shows you watch on your TV. They know what shows your watch on the go. They know which series you finish watching, if you watch in 35 minute chunks rather than 45 or 55. They know your demographic info. They know how long you keep your subs based on what shows are out there. They combine that with data they glean from purchases you make on iTunes. They can cross reference music preferences with tv preferences.

It's mind boggling really and kinda dangerous long term. They can easily deny desirable content form any other provider by artificially raising the cost to purchase it and Apple doesn't care if it's economical in the short term or not because they are sitting in a Scrooge McDuckian pile of cash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Break up Apple, imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
companies should disassemble whenever they post profits. profits are wages stolen from the worker.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I've seen that the next season of Another Life is on Netflix, and since I'm bored, I figured, eh, lets watch this. Maybe it gets better on the second attempt.

They're still doing offensively bad science. They're fleeing a debris wave of an exploded planet with their faster-than-light ship, and are still being outran by the debris. What in the gently caress. This is gonna be glorious. Jesus Christ, this is so bad.

I barely remembered getting through the first season, mostly rolling my eyes with like, just one or two moments per episode enough that I liked the idea of to keep watching. Struggling more with season 2, so much loving weird AI creepy obsession turned love turned idk making his own alien ai waifu like, these themes aren't not worth exploring but this is a weird place to do so. i keep forgetting the shameless guy's kid is niko's kid too and why are the aliens bad again or what's their deal even? it's a hard show to watch or keep track of, just like, mentally hard to focus or ground yourself idk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Khanstant posted:

so much loving weird AI creepy obsession turned love

I just want you to know I read this as "Weird AL" and I was very confused.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We're in a technocratic nightmare but it's kind of cool seeing companies like Apple and Netflix investing so much in foreign tv shows. Netflix spent $500 million on Korean stuff alone and Apple has French shows and Korean shows coming too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1456012037268639751?t=gWxxVlotn-kH0trKY0E4gg&s=19

gently caress, this thing just got a little harder to write off

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I had to look it up... this is hilarious. Dude never ran any shows before or after those 3, just producer and writing roles on very few others. I was going to comment on how television poison lasts that long but he's had so few gigs, I almost feel sorry for the guy.

He really needs to find a different job.

He actually was credited as writer for some of Dexter's best eps in it first few seasons. But yeah absolutely sucks in anything else

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arist posted:

I just want you to know I read this as "Weird AL" and I was very confused.

this would be a monumental improvement, I would sing this shows praises with the right amount of Mr. Weird

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

He actually was credited as writer for some of Dexter's best eps in it first few seasons. But yeah absolutely sucks in anything else

He also worked on Rome and Six Feet Under, and wrote stand out episodes of the latter. I've no idea what happened to the man, but at some point he stopped writing very well at all.

bull3964 posted:

Money.

Seriously, that's it. They have the ability to outbid everyone else including Disney on projects and they have the largest war chest for production as well. They are in the growth phase and Apple's long term strategy is moving to a service based revenue platform.

That and data harvesting. Apple datamines the gently caress out of viewing habits. That's why apple TV app integration exists. Every time you watch something through the Apple tv app, they collect that and since so many services plug into it, they have one of the broadest view of that data of anyone out there.

They know what shows you watch on your TV. They know what shows your watch on the go. They know which series you finish watching, if you watch in 35 minute chunks rather than 45 or 55. They know your demographic info. They know how long you keep your subs based on what shows are out there. They combine that with data they glean from purchases you make on iTunes. They can cross reference music preferences with tv preferences.

While this is all true, Netflix, Amazon (other than in its early period when it was trying to be HBO), etc. never managed to do the kind of thing Apple is doing now, and I don't think that's just down to money or data. I suspect Apple's made some very good investments higher up in the production chain, and people there are actually invested in developing strong original content for thirty and forty somethings, as opposed to clout chasing (Amazon), brand consolidation(HBO Max) or being the Direct-To-Video of the Steaming Age (Netflix).

Also Apple's had a few significant whiffs this year as well -- Invasion isn't great, and The Mosquito Coast was just bad. Invasion, in particular, is something you'd think was way more data driven in the vein of a Netflix show, but ended up being just loving weird and bad in its own specific ways.

HBO Max has had a pretty good year too though -- Raised By Wolves, Search Party, the Aquaman cartoon (no, seriously), Infinity Train, Summer Camp Island, Hacks, Doom Patrol, Genera+ion, The Other Two, the Adventure Time specials, plus they've had access to Succession, It's A Sin and Betty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Invasion is good :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Foundation > Invasion

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Foundation reminds me of syndicated 90s scifi shows except with a huge budget.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Edward Mass posted:

Foundation > Invasion

if this is true invasion is one of the worst shows ever made, of all time!!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Google Butt posted:

if this is true invasion is one of the worst shows ever made, of all time!!

This checks out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://files.catbox.moe/u412bu.mp4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 season 3 sounds like it would have been so sick :(

quote:

“His idea was that [Dud] wakes up in the next season in the Crimean War, and he is in Harwood Fritz Merrill’s body and experiencing war and experiencing what Harwood Fritz Merrill experienced in that horrible, disastrous thing that brought him to want to create connection and create the lodge. So his PTSD and his own mental health issues from the war were going to explain through Harwood Fritz Merrill’s pain was born this connective place.”

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Invasion is okay. It has the problem that a lot of prestige TV has where it can't just be a genre show and thus tries to juxtapose social realism with an alien invasion and it mostly just comes off as extremely tryhard and it definitely thinks its characters' stories are way more interesting than they are.

But it looks extremely good and has enough effective scenes to be worth it so far.

It's biggest issue honestly is the loving Sam Neill bait and switch

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

And hoping each time that his next leap would be the leap home

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big Mouth is back, I guess. I don’t know if I really care about it anymore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Narcos: Mexico is back too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hakkesshu posted:

Invasion is okay. It has the problem that a lot of prestige TV has where it can't just be a genre show and thus tries to juxtapose social realism with an alien invasion and it mostly just comes off as extremely tryhard and it definitely thinks its characters' stories are way more interesting than they are.

But it looks extremely good and has enough effective scenes to be worth it so far.

It's biggest issue honestly is the loving Sam Neill bait and switch

Dude just really likes hanging out on his ranch, naming his rescue animals after other actors/actresses that he's worked with.

If it were me: I would never leave, no matter how much money they threw at me to make another Jurassic Park...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You'll never get Sam Neill out of Montana...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

You'll never get Sam Neill out of Montana...

So what you are saying is Jurassic Park: Montana is a go?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
As long as you can film it in New Zealand...
:laugh:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

swickles posted:

So what you are saying is Jurassic Park: Montana is a go?

A better choice than San Diego. Valley of Gwangi basically feels like Jurassic Park: Montana.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

He also worked on Rome and Six Feet Under, and wrote stand out episodes of the latter. I've no idea what happened to the man, but at some point he stopped writing very well at all.

While this is all true, Netflix, Amazon (other than in its early period when it was trying to be HBO), etc. never managed to do the kind of thing Apple is doing now, and I don't think that's just down to money or data. I suspect Apple's made some very good investments higher up in the production chain, and people there are actually invested in developing strong original content for thirty and forty somethings, as opposed to clout chasing (Amazon), brand consolidation(HBO Max) or being the Direct-To-Video of the Steaming Age (Netflix).

Also Apple's had a few significant whiffs this year as well -- Invasion isn't great, and The Mosquito Coast was just bad. Invasion, in particular, is something you'd think was way more data driven in the vein of a Netflix show, but ended up being just loving weird and bad in its own specific ways.

HBO Max has had a pretty good year too though -- Raised By Wolves, Search Party, the Aquaman cartoon (no, seriously), Infinity Train, Summer Camp Island, Hacks, Doom Patrol, Genera+ion, The Other Two, the Adventure Time specials, plus they've had access to Succession, It's A Sin and Betty.

The other services have so much more content tho, I can just subsist on one of them if I had to. Hulu, HBO, Amazon...apple has like five good shows in the most optimistic spin on it...that's just not enough for me to get it

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm still really surprised that there was no Star Wars character in Kingdom Hearts. Back in 2012 I was absolutely sure we'd see that within a year or two.

Disney Infinities 3 is like the best kids game ever. Anakin, Iron Man, Mickey, Perry the Platypus and uh Depp's Tonto running about having adventures and every time we open it we find an entirely new game mode

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Big Mouth is back, I guess. I don’t know if I really care about it anymore.

I love binging Big Mouth, and am a bit sad I probably won't have time to this weekend. It feels like no time since the last season, which is nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels like no time since the last season, which is nice.

It's been 11 months so yeah, it feels like less but time is meaningless now apparently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t feel like we’ve only had one season of it a year. It feels like it only premiered a couple years ago. I think this is why I feel kinda tired of it. First two eps of the new season were good though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was gonna complain about why the The Bris episode of Seinfeld was so bad especially because of one particular character in it but then I looked up the actor who played the worst part of it and got sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any reason for being so vague?