Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's official: After being a last-minute substitute in 2020, I am the new Secret Santa organizer. Fingers crossed for this round to go a bit more smoothly.

It's that time of year again! Well, I guess it isn't even Halloween yet, but with the anticipated USPS delays, it's as good a time as any to get ready for that time of year again. If you like getting books for Christmas, or if you think Christmas is all humbug but still like getting books, this is the thread for you. Whether you've been around for all the previous Secret Santas or are new to TBB entirely, you are invited to join this Secret Santa and spread the joy of books this year.

The Rules
  1. This is open to anyone who's been on SA for at least six months and has posted before now. Anyone with a newer account is still welcome if someone eligible vouches for them.

2. If you sign up, you must be ready to mail someone a book. If you have any doubt about this, consider joining next year instead.

3. There must be an address for someone to mail you a book. It doesn't matter if it's your home address or a PO box or whatever, as long as a book can be sent there.

4. Send your gift as soon as possible! There's no accounting for freak situations like the package that arrived a month late last time (or the replacement when it was presumed lost that eventually showed up in March), but you're expected to get your match's Christmas present to them in time for Christmas.

5. The deadline to sign up this year is November 18, a month and one week before Christmas.

The Process
  1. Post in this thread to say that you're signing up and to let your Santa know what you'd like.

2. Send an email to sabookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com with your SA handle in the subject line, providing your mailing address and specifying whether you can mail your package within your country, to a nearby country, or worldwide. I will respond with a confirmation when I see it; if you don't get one, let me know that I've missed your message.

3. The day after the deadline, I will email all participants the details of their matches.

4. When you send your package, email me the tracking number.

5. When you receive your Santa's package, post in the thread to let them know that it arrived, even if you wait to open it.

6. When your match opens their present, respond in the thread.

Additional Information
  • At minimum, your package should contain a book in line with your match's Christmas wish. Whatever you send should be worth at least $20. Send one fancy new book or a few cheaper secondhand ones (in good condition!) or anything else you care to give – just send your match what they signed up for. Or splurge selflessly on a stranger!

• If anyone wants to give extra presents (and not necessarily books) outside the Secret Santa system, ask me or Hieronymous Alloy via PM. If we approve, you can post the offer in the thread for people to claim.

• If you have a question about anything not covered in this post, don't hesitate to ask me here or through PM. If you run into any issues or complications, let me know in a PM, and I'll do whatever I can to help.

And, finally...

Merry Christmas! Happy reading!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
TBB Secret Santa 2021 recap

Bilirubin sent derp
The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
The Deptford Trilogy, by Robertson Davies
The Diviners, by Margaret Laurence
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, by Alice Munro

derp sent Famethrowa
Story of the Eye, by Georges Bataille
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, by Yukio Mishima
The Passion According to G.H., by Clarice Lispector

Famethrowa sent No. 1 Juicy Boi
Negative Space, by B. R. Yeager

No. 1 Juicy Boi sent Sham bam bamina!
The Raw Shark Texts, by Steven Hall
If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, by Italo Calvino
The Voynich manuscript, by who the hell knows

Sham bam bamina! sent Jeremiah Flintwick
Babyfucker, by Urs Allemann
The Book of Disquiet, by Fernando Pessoa
Ice Never F and Milkbottle H, by Gil Orlovitz
Man in the Holocene, by Max Frisch
The Hijohkaidan Tapes, an album by Hijokaidan
Timewind, an album by Klaus Schulze

Jeremiah Flintwick sent Chip McFuck
The Edogawa Rampo Reader, edited and translated by Seth Jacobowitz
Biogenesis, by Tatsuaki Ishiguro
An issue of a zine called Tales from the Dirt Merchant

Chip McFuck sent Doc Fission
How to Set a Fire and Why, by Jesse Ball
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
Girl with Curious Hair, by David Foster Wallace
Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders
Three cool drawings
A very good hat

Doc Fission sent Franchescanado
The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon
Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials, by Reza Negarestani
The Chosen and the Beautiful, by Nghi Vo

Franchescanado sent Hieronymous Alloy
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
The Rotters' Club, by Jonathan Coe
Mrs. Caliban, by Rachel Ingalls
Mason & Dixon, by Thomas Pynchon
Narcissus and Goldmund, by Hermann Hesse
A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
The Last Detail, by Darryl Ponicsán

Hieronymous Alloy sent Gertrude Perkins
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter
Tell My Horse, by Zora Neale Hurston
Promethea, by Alan Moore, J. H. Williams III, and Mick Gray
My Crowd, by Charles Addams

Gertrude Perkins sent I brought my Drake
I've Got a Time Bomb, by Sybil Lamb
Epiphany, by Iris Jay
The Laying of the Noone Walker, by Rosalind Ashe
Art prints, stickers, and a drink coaster

I brought my Drake sent Flesnolk
The Return of Lanny Budd, by Upton Sinclair
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, by B. Traven
Winner of the National Book Award, by Jincy Willett
Waiting for the Barbarians, by J. M. Coetzee
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, by Ocean Vuong
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by Luo Guanzhong

Flesnolk sent Health Services
One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez
Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, by Mario Vargas Llosa
Dôra, Doralina, by Rachel de Queiroz
One Day of Life, by Manlio Argueta

Health Services sent Bilirubin
Steppenwolf, by Hermann Hesse
Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride

The Grey sent iNerdGirl
Enemy of Chaos, by Leila Johnston
The Truthsayer's Apprentice, by Deborah Christian
Frostfire, by Amanda Hocking
A Book of Spirits and Thieves, by Morgan Rhodes
Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey
Swamplandia!, by Karen Russell
The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield

iNerdGirl sent Opopanax/Retro Futurist
The Big Book of Death, by Bronwyn Carlton
Vault of the Macabre, by Darren Field
The Last Magician, by Lisa Maxwell
Cats for Dummies, by Gina Spadafori and Paul D. Pion, DVM, DACVIM
Dark Cities, edited by Christopher Golden
Some dope leftist pins
A very 2020ish object

Opopanax/Retro Futurist sent NTRabbit
Supergods, by Grant Morrison
White Noise, by Don DeLillo

NTRabbit sent Lord Zedd-Repulsa
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, by James D. Hornfischer
Dispatches, by Michael Herr
Ka and The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony, by Roberto Calasso

Lord Zedd-Repulsa sent The Grey
Paperbacks from Hell, by Grady Hendrix
The Terror, by Dan Simmons

Additionally, a mysterious benefactor sent
Correction, by Thomas Bernhard, to derp
The Complete Marquis de Sade, edited and translated by Dr. Paul J. Gillette, to No. 1 Juicy Boi
Magic Time, by Doug Marlette, to Chip McFuck
Both Flesh and Not, by David Foster Wallace, to Doc Fission
The Oxford Book of Death, edited by D. J. Enright, to Franchescanado

The mystery gifts contained clues for a puzzle, which was solved by No. 1 Juicy Boi.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 11, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I really should have signed up by now, but I had an awful weekend and kept overthinking what to post. I'll make the same wish as last time: a novel that's really good, really bad, or so crazy that it could well be both. Sky's the limit; the weirder, the better.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 26, 2021

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i am in and i like the same things as last year!

derp posted:

hello I am joining the human santapede

I like literature, my absolute favorite is W.G. Sebald, but I already have all his books so that is just an example. I also very enjoy Mishima (i own most of them), Bolaño and Lispector for more examples. I like surprises so if it's something I've never heard of that is also great, as long as it is very great literature.
would prefer a physical book because it's fun to get things in the mail.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hello I am also joining.

I would like the weirdest, strangest, book you've ever read. something you've read and felt uneasy about afterwards and possibly wanted to take a shower. I like works of fine literature but also love pulpy horror and scifi, so you probably can't miss by too wide a mark.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Famethrowa posted:

hello I am also joining.

I would like the weirdest, strangest, book you've ever read. something you've read and felt uneasy about afterwards and possibly wanted to take a shower. I like works of fine literature but also love pulpy horror and scifi, so you probably can't miss by too wide a mark.

Me too and same!

To give you an idea of things I would like to read here is my Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/61729436-billy-rubin (anything that says "waiting on shelf" I already own) but I love surprises, the weirder the better.

I'd also love a Moomin book in Swedish if you have easy access but whatev

(PS read Blinding)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like . . books. I like to be surprised. I like happy endings and good vibes. I like books about platonic male friendships (Aubrey/Maturin, Frodo/Sam, Master Li and Number Ten Ox; Steinbeck's Cannery Row; Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood). I like well-done nonfiction on interesting topics. I like genre fiction if it has something unique and interesting about it. I like giving books to people.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I'm in!

In the past couple years I've really enjoyed books by Hammett, Eco, Calvino, McBride, Tartt, Mishima, and Woolf. I like literature and good enjoyable compelling novels.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Sign me up! I'd like a book or books I probably wouldn't buy otherwise. I read mostly nonfiction and generally read almost exclusively diverse authors otherwise, as a person of queer brown idiot experience, so come hit me with your faves from the contemporary white dude literary canon. I've never read a David Foster Wallace. Jonathan Safran Foer spoke at my college graduation and I couldn't tell you what he said because I was day drunk and could barely stay sitting up. Y'all saw my Cormac McCarthy thread. Give up the goods or else!!!

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Send me something snooty and pretentious that I'll look super cultured and interesting reading in public. :agesilaus:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jeremiah Flintwick posted:

Send me something snooty and pretentious that I'll look super cultured and interesting reading in public. :agesilaus:

*50 Shades of Grey later*

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I'm in! Book! Yes! BOOK.

I would like to be sent something weird, wild and strange. I read a lot of out-there stuff as well as standard literary/genre fare, and I'm always looking for unique, exciting experiences. The kind of thing that might get me weird looks, reading on the bus. I'm trying to read more positive/happiness-inducing stuff, but I'm not averse to a horrible journey along the way. Here's my GoodReads, if that helps!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm in! Hell yeah.

Send me the grossest, goriest, disturbingest stuff you can find. gently caress up my entire day. If you're not comfortable doing that, send me a book that's meaningful to you! Bonus points if there's a note explaining why it's meaningful.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm in. I pretty much only read on my ereader but I can see how that would be limiting, not at all opposed to physical books or anything. I primarily read horror, comics, and stuff in that wheelhouse, but what I usually ask in a secret santa is that you go for something I'm not likely to have heard of, something you enjoy that it's not likely I'd already own. I also have a 9 year who's a pretty strong reader and he's who I buy most of my physical books for, if that's easier.

Here's what I've read this year so far (at least since I started keeping track), might give a better idea of what I'm into.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 21, 2021

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm in. Haven't done it the past couple years, but I've always enjoyed it when I did.

Get me whatever you think is interesting. I'll just list a couple things I don't want:

- No poetry
- No dense literary stuff (Shakespeare, Joyce, etc.)
- No mainstream thriller novels (James Patterson, Lee Child, etc.).

Here's my goodreads to give you an idea of what I've read and liked:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/3350253?view=covers

iNerdGirl
Feb 16, 2019

Just a regular girl, living in a coding world
I'm in.

Anything in the Fantasy realm really is where I feel most comfortable reading.

Please no JK Rowling or other anti-trans writers. No big box store thriller books either.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'll participate this year. I think I skipped last year, and I'm ready and excited to gift books.

This is my GoodReads. If I have a book listed as "To Read", that means I already own it, either physically or as an eBook.

For easy reference, here is a list of books I consider Personal Favorites.

I like literary fiction, horror, comedy, short stories, poetry, film, music, visual mediums (painting, drawing), magical realism, surrealism, PoMo fic. I prefer good prose to good plotting. I'm open to any mood, whether it's depressing or uplifting, inspiring or disturbing. I'm cool with some genre fiction; horror's my favorite, I prefer fantasy to sci-fi, mysteries are okay but I prefer hard-boiled and noir like Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. I rarely have interest in a series. I've also been dabbling in (classic) literary erotica, like Fanny Hill, D.H. Lawrence, and Terry Southern's Candy, if anyone has any cool ideas for that. Not interested in non-fiction right now.

I'd like an emphasis on writers from outside of the USA. Also, if possible, I like (used) books from a local book store (BetterWorldBooks or HPB are cool). No ebooks.

Favorite authors are Thomas Pynchon, Nabakov, George Saunders, Flannery O'Connor. Poetry I like.

There's some participants who know me from other threads or past TBB Secret Santas. If there's something you think I would like that doesn't necessarily fit within my request, feel free to send it anyway.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 10, 2021

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm always down for book santa!

I like to read both fiction and non-fiction. Novels, novellas, graphic novels, chunky manga, poetry, essays, historical non-fiction, philosophy, language, anything is cool! :buddy: This is my goodreads, which is about as comprehensive as you can make it. Everything on there I already own, just a matter of whether or not I have read it yet.

Booko is a good site that lets you both find best prices, and find stores in Australia that are not directly funding Jeff Bezos.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm in. I like weird. Used book if possible. I can ship worldwide if that's an issue for pairing and I'm a librarian if that's also an issue for pairing.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Haven't done this in a while but I'm in!

I like both fiction and non-fiction and lately have been feeling like something humorous (outside of the typical Confederacy of Dunces, Hitchhiker's Guide, Catch 22, etc.), but really I'm up for anything! If you've got a cool novel by a local author or something strange and fantastical in mind then I'm all for it. No e-books please, I am a luddite that prefers physical books.

Edit: Clarifying

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 17, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I didn't include ebooks and audiobooks in the new OP because they were an awkward peripheral element that almost nobody acknowledged except to clarify that they weren't interested. They are no longer part of Secret Santa proper, although anyone who feels like giving them out in the thread anyway is welcome to offer.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 17, 2021

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I am new to TBB this year! Right now I'd like nonfiction on whatever subjects fascinate you the most, be it cave diving, the geology of the Krakatoa eruption, anesthesia's history, or beyond. Assume a casual audience unless the subject is medical or crime.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Signing up last minute, I like both fiction and nonfiction, have been wanting to read more literary stuff lately. I've also been trying to get my hands on good translations of classic Chinese novels like Romance of the Three Kingdoms if that's not too specific. I'm open to most stuff, no Rowling or anyone like that though please.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sign-ups are closed, but I can't assign Santas just yet because I'm missing an email that I thought had been sent. Please forgive the delay. Assignments will almost certainly be made by the end of the day.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
With all apologies for the delays, matches have been made! Please check the email that you signed up with.

:siren: A mysterious benefactor has volunteered to send five goons within the United States more books in accordance with their wishes. Anyone interested in claiming the offer can post here, and I will send their information to this most secret of Santas. :siren:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm an interested American :)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I would like to claim it as well!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

me me me! :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

With all apologies for the delays, matches have been made! Please check the email that you signed up with.

:siren: A mysterious benefactor has volunteered to send five goons within the United States more books in accordance with their wishes. Anyone interested in claiming the offer can post here, and I will send their information to this most secret of Santas. :siren:

I will claim one like a greedy American.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And I'll take the fifth spot!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh my poor Santee, prepare yourself. Shipping tomorrow!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Got a busy week ahead, but will hopefully be shipping off to my Santee by the end of the month! Excitement abounds!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
books sent, have yourself a very early christmas, santee!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sent, and I hope the recievee posts when they get it cuz I could not attach a nice note on the bookstore I used :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Books are on their way! I hope they're sufficiently fun and crazy enough :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My gift is shipping out tomorrow.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Got two packages today addressed to my SA handle, so it's a safe bet that they're from my Santa. Looking forward to opening them!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Gifts are in the hands of UPS!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Order placed!

Two separate shipments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cheer has been deployed