Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I passed my drivers test on the third try with the bare minimum passing score, 70/100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I didn’t get my license until I was 19 because I drove a maloo my dad brought home and it scared the poo poo out of me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

i only lost one point on my drivers test: i turned my wheel while waiting to make a left at an intersection. it actually was a helpful thing to have someone point out, because i honestly never do that when i drive now, nearly 20 years later. i also constantly see other people doing it, and it's legitimately super dangerous.

what the problem here? have the wheel already turned before you start moving?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i believe the idea is that if you are waiting to make the turn and get rear-ended, and you have already turned your wheels, your car will get pushed into the path of oncoming traffic. if you keep your wheels straight and the same thing happens, you will just get pushed further into the intersection.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i believe the idea is that if you are waiting to make the turn and get rear-ended, and you have already turned your wheels, your car will get pushed into the path of oncoming traffic. if you keep your wheels straight and the same thing happens, you will just get pushed further into the intersection.

where you will instead get tboned by crossing instead of oncoming traffic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and into your drivers side instead of your passenger side

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
maybe its better to get your ribs smashed in by cross traffic's bumper than get your face smashed in by your steering column... i guess?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're at a lighted intersection and it's a crossing traffic phase then yeah it doesn't really matter.

If you're in the median waiting to turn across traffic into a parking lot, then not getting pushed into oncoming traffic matters a whole lot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, keep your foot on the brake while you're waiting to turn.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks mom :rolleyes:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

when i did my driving test the lady informed that i would have failed if i made ONE MORE MISTAKE because apparently i failed to do a shoulder check while turning right from the right lane (there might have been a pedestrian running up the sidewalk at warp speed i suppose) and you only get one failed shoulder check apparently.

shoulder checks are very important and you should do them every time, even if you think there is no need

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

drivings and cars suck. ban cars. also I am probably going to have to get one soon now we're expecting a second. probably a hybrid camry, something that 21 year old me would be so horrified at lol.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah like people said it’s for if you’re waiting to turn left, when there is only oncoming traffic running parallel to you. the reason you aren’t already making the turn and are stopped is because there are cars in front of you headed towards you, and if you get rear ended with your wheels already turned and pushed into their lane they are assuredly going to collide with you head on, possibly going extremely fast. but if your wheels are straight then you are still on the right side of the road and there is no risk of an additional head-on collision.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this incredibly minor seemingly inconsequential mistake, turning your wheels early, kills a ton of people every year. cars are super dangerous and it would have been great if we did trains instead of cars, but alas, our elders made all the wrong decisions and now we’re loving stuck with them apparently.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah rotor screwed it all up for the rest of us

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

shoulder checks are very important and you should do them every time, even if you think there is no need

yeah around here a lot of streets have a bike lane on the right so there might actually be someone coming up on you at warp speed as you turn

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

my stepdads beer posted:

drivings and cars suck. ban cars. also I am probably going to have to get one soon now we're expecting a second. probably a hybrid camry, something that 21 year old me would be so horrified at lol.

get an ioniq 5, they're awesome imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

question to the internet forum: what are the best earphones for less than $50?

answer from the internet forum: in that price range I would say get a tesla model s plaid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i have no idea what might be affordable in the us at the moment when various subsidies come into play

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

question to the internet forum: what are the best earphones for less than $50?

answer from the internet forum: in that price range I would say get a tesla model s plaid

sennheiser hd650?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my stepdads beer posted:

camry's own, mine survived hitting a deer only to hit another deer and get completely totalled

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got my license in florida. the driving test was done with a random dmv employee and never left the parking lot. the most difficult part was the three point turn which took me a good 5 or 6 points in my ranger. i got docked points for not signalling for a turn coming around the end of one parking row to turn into another which was kind of impossible to do since the turning radius was such that at full lock i was just doing one big turn

i didn't learn to parallel park until like a decade later

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

You really do not always need to do a shoulder check. It’s kind of annoying.

Unfortunately the only way to confirm that you don’t need to do a shoulder check is to do a shoulder check so.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Midjack posted:

mine was a quarter century ago, only thing i remember is i passed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: not turning the wheel, think about what happens if there are pedestrians crossing the road that you're turning on when you get rear ended. in one case you parallel to them. in the other you kill people.

haveblue posted:

yeah around here a lot of streets have a bike lane on the right so there might actually be someone coming up on you at warp speed as you turn

actually you'll find that inculcating good habits is stupid and instead everyone should evaluate if they need to perform a particular safety check every time there might be a need. especially people who ride motorcycles and/or fly airplanes

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 5, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did my driving test in this tiny town with no stop lights

the dmv was just a small room in the courthouse and they had to close the office to do driving tests

the only part of the test I remember was almost getting stuck in the soft shoulder doing an emergency stop

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I had my high beams on for my entire road test and had to surreptitiously turn them off a couple streets from the end

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

I see what you're driving at but the prrrrrrrrrrroblem with this here in the US is that they _are_ definitive attributes that say something about them

https://twitter.com/Bay_161/status/1455646701088165888

Not only is there no reasoning with these people, they want to kill you, have the capability to, and we have a justice system that lest them sneak by rather frequently if they even are caught.

friend of mine goes there and the exterior photos don’t really do justice to the damage those assholes did. the doors have stained glass above them and it’s all gonna need to be replaced due to the soot and burning.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sennheiser hd650?
yeah exactly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

I had my high beams on for my entire road test and had to surreptitiously turn them off a couple streets from the end

what, like, zipping your jacket and turning off the air conditioner?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

yeah exactly

they're good headphones OP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you can find a pair in an irl store and just walk out with them theyll be less than $50

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

what, like, zipping your jacket and turning off the air conditioner?

it was the middle of the day and i didn't want to get called on it so i clicked them off and started drumming on the lever to cover up the noise. basically solid snake poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My old team's chud is quitting or at least planning on quitting. I don't know what he did but he really pissed off extremely tolerant old team's lead. From what I heard from my old team they have really been going at it in meetings.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My old team's chud is quitting or at least planning on quitting. I don't know what he did but he really pissed off extremely tolerant old team's lead. From what I heard from my old team they have really been going at it in meetings.

Good!

These true believers are going rabid, so gently caress em.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i ran a red light during my driver's test and still passed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have heard that the maryland drivers exam is basically just making various turns in an area the size of a large football field.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
doing my road test the instructor said "take the next left" and because I was unfamiliar with the area I missed it. he got mad and said "hey you missed it" and I said I couldn't see the turn. then we passed another street and he got mad again because I didn't take that one, so I said "well you didn't tell me to go left again after I missed the first one."

he then said ok take your next available left, and i said OK and did so, then we did the rest of the test and went back to the dmv. he said other than the missed initial turn everything else was perfect, so I passed.

almost failed my M2 because I didn't go fast enough on a couple of the things, and on the M road test I missed a couple places where you were supposed to turn your head to "notice" roadside hazards or w/e. but still passed everything else.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

for my M1 I took the msf course and then brought the voucher to the dmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most valuable thing about doing a drivers test here is that if you do it in an auto the licence doesn’t cover manuals.

my kids are gonna learn manual but lol may never ever use it again because petrol/gear cars will be gone girl moment

The Fool posted:

the problem is that he talks about in the most insufferable sociology 101 kind of way

lol I was looking at a different post of mine in another thread and I see what you mean now. awkward lol