Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Keldulas posted:

Honestly, I'm having a hard time imagining an ALEPH which wouldn't do more damage to the city than the Pianist did. Silent Orchestra is basically it's big brother, Nothing There would do the attrition method, Mountain of Smiling Body has a lot of corpses to eat in the Backstreets, Blue Star would just nuke the world.

Perhaps Mountain wouldn't do that much damage still because even if it gets huge, it's ultimately still a very localized and obvious threat.

I just hope that Mountain does not undergo fission when it gets large enough. We saw its development up to 3rd stage, but there is no evidence that it cannot have more if sufficient amount of bodies is avaliable.

I was going to suggest Army in Black, but then I remembered that it deals AOE damage to everyone close and that anyone going insane from it is always going to be Murder-type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

MiiNiPaa posted:

I was going to suggest Army in Black, but then I remembered that it deals AOE damage to everyone close and that anyone going insane from it is always going to be Murder-type.

That's not an ALEPH, that's a ZAYIN! Hod said so, and who am I to disagree? :yayclod:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Mountain of Smiling Bodies is a chump Aleph, even if it had a massive amount of bodies to consume, so I stand by what I said. :colbert:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It looks like the Pianist ran up his kill score by smashing skyscrapers willy nilly. Most of the other ALEPHs would do that too, but Mountain of Smiling Bodies doesn't seem interested in killing people it can't immediately eat, and Nothing There also doesn't seem like it would go for mega-kill AoEs on clerk-level people.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

MiiNiPaa posted:

I just hope that Mountain does not undergo fission when it gets large enough. We saw its development up to 3rd stage, but there is no evidence that it cannot have more if sufficient amount of bodies is avaliable.

Army in Black is also a backer abnormality and thus doesn't technically exist. Same with Melting Love, really (which is great because she would totally cause a complete slimepocalypse that would take out an entire district at the very least.)

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

I hate that I was able to make this out. I don't even remember the actual term for it but it took me like 5 seconds until I remembered the meme it was referencing.

golden bubble posted:

It looks like the Pianist ran up his kill score by smashing skyscrapers willy nilly. Most of the other ALEPHs would do that too, but Mountain of Smiling Bodies doesn't seem interested in killing people it can't immediately eat, and Nothing There also doesn't seem like it would go for mega-kill AoEs on clerk-level people.

I can only imagine there were also some dumb aspiring Fixers, or ones that were shortly dispatched after its appearance, that ended up upping the casualties because 'look at this thing that's killing people, totally I will be the one to put it down!' or it was their job, and then they became part of the Pianist's kill count. I personally think he's closer to an ALEPH myself due to the mass destruction and what you said, considering its effects are even felt today, I'm pretty sure. RIP to all the businessmen that day that were like 'I wonder why the building's shaking...' and then saw the ground approaching their window.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

insanitylock posted:

I hate that I was able to make this out. I don't even remember the actual term for it but it took me like 5 seconds until I remembered the meme it was referencing.

Help me out here, I hear something but I can't figure what.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

MetaMeme posted:

her BUTT GOT SMALLER

wait what

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Listen, the Pianist isn't a big deal, you just have to turn off your ears. Checkmate, atheists.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Mountain of Smiling Bodies is a chump Aleph, even if it had a massive amount of bodies to consume, so I stand by what I said. :colbert:

Mountain of Smiling Bodies would probably quickly give up on the whole killing people thing and move to a successful career as an entertainer at a restaurant with live shows in District 23. All the fun; none of the work.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Reminder that these aleph-level threats were something that you could routinely suppress with your agents, meaning that the real threats that Lob Corp wanted to keep buried could have been the agents themselves!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that a lot of things have changed since the beta and release of the game. For instance, Fragment of the Universe didn't originally decrease your stagger resist by 50%, but instead reduced your 'stagger hit point bar' by 50%. And that effect actually stacked! So holding onto too many of those cards would mean you could have a single digit stagger bar.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 4, 2021

Yggdrasi
Jan 23, 2020
I was thinking what SCP class the Alephs are and alot of them only do something when you mess with them, most of them you could probably put in a "box" and not interact with and they wouldn't do anything.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Due to how Meltdowns work, that's not really feasible in LobCo though.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Yggdrasi posted:

I was thinking what SCP class the Alephs are and a lot of them only do something when you mess with them, most of them you could probably put in a "box" and not interact with and they wouldn't do anything.

With the qippoloth (or however you spell it) deterrence, most of them would be pretty docile. I don't know how things like Queen of Hatred's sac clerk's mechanic would work or how Red and Wolf would function, since the abnormalities seem to be somewhat aware of what's going on outside.

If that deterrence wasn't there though, there's no telling what would be going on.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TalonDemonKing posted:

Reminder that these aleph-level threats were something that you could routinely suppress with your agents, meaning that the real threats that Lob Corp wanted to keep buried could have been the agents themselves!

Other than HQ, agents get to go home every night* like any other office employee. They stash their E.G.O. gear in a locker and then they're nothing special, with maybe one or two exceptions here and there.

*assuming they're, y'know, still alive and sufficiently sane

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yggdrasi posted:

I was thinking what SCP class the Alephs are and alot of them only do something when you mess with them, most of them you could probably put in a "box" and not interact with and they wouldn't do anything.

The main difference is that the central conceit of LobCorp is that they have to produce energy from them, so simply putting them away forever is less of an option than in the SCP foundation, whose job is solely to contain stuff. So it makes sense that LobCorp's threat system is built more around "how much of a pain in the rear end is this to work with", where it's understood that "working with it" is a thing that's just going to have to happen. Like, for pure containment purposes, all of the abnos would rank as "safe" by the SCP system, because they already exist in storage when you pull them up to install in your facility at the end of each day, and any that you don't pull just stay down there forever, completely harmless (well, unless someone deliberately releases them all like in the bad ending).

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main difference is that the central conceit of LobCorp is that they have to produce energy from them, so simply putting them away forever is less of an option than in the SCP foundation, whose job is solely to contain stuff. So it makes sense that LobCorp's threat system is built more around "how much of a pain in the rear end is this to work with", where it's understood that "working with it" is a thing that's just going to have to happen. Like, for pure containment purposes, all of the abnos would rank as "safe" by the SCP system, because they already exist in storage when you pull them up to install in your facility at the end of each day, and any that you don't pull just stay down there forever, completely harmless (well, unless someone deliberately releases them all like in the bad ending).

There are actually two that cause problems when they're left completely alone! One would be the Express Train to Hell, and the other would be WhiteNight. (Another would be the Queen of Hatred, but taking one look into the City itself tells me keeping her happy wouldn't be a tough thing to do.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Distortion Detective end on a cliffhanger? I am curious about it but I know it got canceled to get turned into a game and I wanna know if I'm getting into something incomplete or w/e.

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
So, let's see what SCP level each Abno would be like? Starting with the ZAYIN Class

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds - SAFE, or even THAUMIEL
Don't Touch Me - SAFE
Fairy Festival - EUCLID
You Must Be Happy - SAFE
Opened Can of Wellcheers - SAFE
You're Bald... - SAFE
Mirror of Adjustment - SAFE
We Can Change Anything - SAFE
Old Faith and Promise - SAFE
Plague Doctor - EUCLID (WhiteNight however is KETER)
Army in Black - EUCLID

Or should this be in the LobCorp thread, which is probably closed by now?

nightelf_37 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 4, 2021

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It's not closed, I used them only a while ago to explain the trick Teeqeue mentioned about handling Queen of Hatred without killing anybody to me.

EDIT: The lobcorp general thread, I mean. The LP thread should be closed by now.

EDIT EDIT: Also the way that Lobcorp works, Qliphoth Deterrence can be raised to make *Every* Abnormality inert and thus 'safe'. Lobotomy Corp was only incidentally interested in containing the abnormalities, they were interested in exploiting them to generate energy.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 4, 2021

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

TalonDemonKing posted:

The agents from L corp are very much nothing special in a fight without their E.G.O.; it's very much the E.G.O. that made them capable of facing these threats at all. A level V agent in the default suit is only marginally less useless against ALEPHs than a level I agent in the same.

Assuming all of the Agents that were imported to the library by Angela were level V, without assistance like Pages or EGO gear, they're only about as competent as your average grade 9-8 fixer. A group of default librarians would probably have trouble even with chumps like the Brotherhood of Iron without assistance from Angela.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Giving Abnormalities SCP classifications has always felt like a somewhat off thing to do for me, considering that SCP Foundation and Lobotomy Corporation serve two entirely different functions.

EDIT: Also, there's probably some agents that are naturally alright at combat, but that's very much a personal lore and backstory thing (most agents from the Backstreets, like Tenebrais or Credentia). Then again, you did say "default"!

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I mean, grade 8 fixers are still more competent than a layman in a fight by a pretty long shot (even one default librarian is more than enough to demolish 3 Rats at once without it even being close), but the main point is that they're nothing special without the E.G.O. Most of them are probably unaugmented or only have very light augments; They wouldn't need them if they were invited to come work for a Wing and live in a Nest. Augments are everything in the City! I think Grade 8 is probably the highest you can get depending solely on what the human body can do and to get any further beyond that, you're depending on some kind of augmentation, whether that be bionic weaponry like Taein or special weapons like Lulu. The Zwei probably have special tchotchkes that make them faster or stronger, whether it's part of their swords, their coats, or whatever.

Then again, I might be undermining my own point, since it's very possible that 'default' librarians aren't exactly baseline humans. It could be that Angela's already enhanced the crew with Library magic before they even march out to greet our guests, but that baseline enhancement seems to be about par with what grade 8 fixers can do.

VinnyDonuts fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 4, 2021

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

VinnyDonuts posted:

I mean, grade 8 fixers are still more competent than a layman in a fight by a pretty long shot (even one default librarian is more than enough to demolish 3 Rats at once without it even being close), but the main point is that they're nothing special without the E.G.O. Most of them are probably unaugmented or only have very light augments; They wouldn't need them if they were invited to come work for a Wing and live in a Nest. Augments are everything in the City! I think Grade 8 is probably the highest you can get depending solely on what the human body can do and to get any further beyond that, you're depending on some kind of augmentation, whether that be bionic weaponry like Taein or special weapons like Lulu. The Zwei probably have special tchotchkes that make them faster or stronger, whether it's part of their swords, their coats, or whatever.

Then again, I might be undermining my own point, since it's very possible that 'default' librarians aren't exactly baseline humans. It could be that Angela's already enhanced the crew with Library magic before they even march out to greet our guests, but that baseline enhancement seems to be about par with what grade 8 fixers can do.

If you want a good idea of "baseline human", we have the Rats and Finn to go off of. And as far as a Librarian's base strengths go, I suspect that Angela isn't really enhancing that at all - while they're still not really augmented in the sorts of ways you'd see out of real fighters (headcanons aside), they're presumably the crop that managed to live through the fifty days that stuck. And while they're no longer using EGO, each of them is still running at peak normal human potential. After all, EGO was hardly the only way to improve a nugget, was it?

Materant fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 4, 2021

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Materant posted:

There are actually two that cause problems when they're left completely alone! One would be the Express Train to Hell, and the other would be WhiteNight. (Another would be the Queen of Hatred, but taking one look into the City itself tells me keeping her happy wouldn't be a tough thing to do.)

Right, except the point is that this only applies when the Qliphoth Deterrence is artificially lowered to make the Abnormalities possible to work with. During off-hours the Deterrence is maxed and all the Abnormalities go to torpor. In an SCP context you would just keep the Deterrence up at all times.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

Junpei posted:

Does Distortion Detective end on a cliffhanger? I am curious about it but I know it got canceled to get turned into a game and I wanna know if I'm getting into something incomplete or w/e.

Yeah, it does. My understanding is that they are tryig to turn it into a comic and/or game so I think they stopped writing it (though I would be delighted if I am incorrect here).

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Arp1033 posted:

Yeah, it does. My understanding is that they are tryig to turn it into a comic and/or game so I think they stopped writing it (though I would be delighted if I am incorrect here).

It will be a game. There is a single chapter rhat was turned into a comic to check a certain artists style for future PM works and they published it with the rest of the chapters. If you read DD before i recommend looking it up, it rules but covers one of the middle chapters so has spoilers for the rest of it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 13: Zwei Association 2—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Alright, we're all ready.

Pummein coash. M'ready to schlay!

Uh… Something seems off with Steve.

He seems very drunk.

Nah, nah, issh fiiine. I'm good~~

We… may need a minute.

We can't keep our guests waiting because you aren't able to keep your librarians in line. Get out there and—

Hold there a moment, my dear! We've a solution!

Oho? What've you got in mind?

Who are you talking to?

It's been far too long since I've been in the field! I thought, why don't I and the old boss take to the stage! And as it so happens, you're not up for it!

That could work, what do you say, ma'am?

...Do whatever you like.

I'd like to be doing anything else…

Nonsense! You need to get some exercise! You're not a bag of bolts, you know, you have to keep working your body to keep it fresh! HAHAHA!

I guess it's settled then. Good luck, you two.

Aww… man..! I wash sho shure… Urp! :barf:

The first group of guests in our two-Act reception is identical to Zwei 1, with two normal Zwei Fixers and a slightly stronger blue version in the middle. While Mr.Black is running a bleed-focused Mars build, Netzach is still in the same outfit as last time.

This seems like a bad idea.

It's not like I had time to change… Mr.Black dragged me down here before I could protest.

When the iron's hot, you have to strike! It's the same in business, pleasure, and hobbies!

Music: NetzachBattle01

They certainly have branding on their side! But we won't lose to something like that!

I'd almost forgotten how exhausting you are…

HAHAHA! I missed you too, dear boss!

Netzach goes straight for a clash with Taste My Flaming Bat!, while Mr.Black's hand is…

Not the best. I opt to go for a double onesided attack, in order to get guaranteed Bleed onto an opponent.

Gratuitous arrows shot. By the next chapter, this is a pretty normal amount of chaos. :v:

Mr.Black takes a Retaliate head on, but the user is now out of Light.

Netzach and the lead Zwei Fixer trade blows as well…

And Mr.Black nearly Staggers the Fixer he targeted.

Ahh… it's been so LONG!

Don't get carried away, now.

With one of our guests at 2 Stagger but none of them currently Staggered, this is an ideal time to use Echoes. It should mostly heal our Stagger Resistance, while giving us one fewer threat to deal with next turn.

When selected, the page deals its damage immediately, and resolves before the Speed Dice show up.

This gives us a much better position to work with than we'd otherwise have.

This turn is entirely about pouring on damage on the Staggered guest. I'm okay with Mr.Black taking a few extra hits here because Zwei Fixers usually use Slash dice, and his defense against them is incredibly strong.

HAHA! I haven't felt a hit like this since I've woken up!

But you Zwei folk haven't changed at all, I must say!

You knew these guys..?

Anyone growing up in District 23 would! Why, I remember they'd frequently get in the way of doing this and that.

This and that…?

My pursuit of smiles has taken me all sorts of interesting places! And these folk would frequently try and keep me out! This is far easier, though—why, back in the day I'd have to carefully plan how to get around them to find new ingredients!

...I don't think I wanna know any more, man…

Since Netzach doesn't have any Pierce dice on his pages, Mr.Black is the obvious choice for Tentacles.

Music: NetzachBattle02

This is an unfortunate situation. We can stop one of the attacks with Mars's page, but Netzach will have to clash with the other and if he loses then he's taking much more damage than Mr.Black would have.

Instead of that, I opt to go for a riskier play—Mr.Black dedicates his turn to deleting the Staggered guest, and Netzach clashes with the Zwei Fixer who's on their last legs. With no more free Light refills for either of them, I want to clear out the guests as quickly as possible.

My goodness! I'd heard, but it's so peculiar to see up close… They truly become books!

Is now really the time to get hung up over that?

It's the PERFECT time! When else are we going to get hung up?

We could do it when I haven't just murdered someone…

Murdered? He's still alive!

No, he's dead.

Just didn't know it yet.

HAHAHAHAHA! Well done, sir!

While the popup doesn't show up, we do still get books when a guest is defeated by Burn at the end of the turn.

You know, I really didn't think Netzach'd be nearly as skilled at this as he is.

He's always been like that. Guy doesn't like doing work, but when he does it it's done just fine.

He generally stayed out of the way and left us to our business. The ideal boss for someone like me.

Are you sure you didn't just use it as an excuse to slack off?

Like I said. Ideal boss.

Mr.Black sets up the last Zwei Fixer.

And Netzach finishes them off.

Things are proceeding well.

I don't really want to be complimented by you…

I am simply stating a truth.

I haven't mentioned it before, but remaining HP values are shown in the between-Act setup screens by way of the bars behind our Librarians and the Guests. The lower they are, the lower our overall HP are. It's a good way to eyeball how roughed up a floor is, or how much damage we've done to a guest.

Setting that aside, let's take a look at San and Julia. The third there is just another of the common Zwei Fixers, and can be ignored.

San's stats have been buffed to bring him up to par with the rest of the Zwei, and Julia is also a cut above her fellows. Normally, we'd want to trade out our floor here for a fresh one—Mr.Black and Netzach are both somewhat beat up, and their deck builds aren't designed for fights where they can't recover Light with higher Emotion Levels.

Then again, we'd normally want to be using Keter in the first place so who cares about optimal moves, right? :v:

Music: NetzachBattle02

I'm back here again… but this isn't the same place as before.

There's a number of wondrous floors! You simply happen to be on the best one of all, so relax and have a nice smile!!

'Sup. I'm the Patron of the Floor of Art. Like he said, you musta' gone somewhere else last time…

They're considerate, for people who're trying to kill us…

That's just an act. Don't be fooled.

Due to some very bad luck, Netzach is staring down the barrel of a Retaliate—one page we absolutely can't afford to get hit by. I'm hoping to blunt it at least a little, but there's a firm chance we'll just eat huge amounts of damage early on. Mr.Black, meanwhile, just tries to keep the rest of the heat off of his boss.

He's eating a one-sided Retaliate of his own, but it's worth it to run Julia out of light for a turn.

I recognize those techniques… he's got to be associated with the chefs of District 23.

It seems that they can steal the techniques of anyone that's turned into a book.

It's possible… but you sound quite certain.

He's… using the body of my junior.

...Ah.

Speaking of which, I believe I owe you a proper greeting.

That "greeting" nearly left me without a leg...

Really? I'd better try it again, then. You were supposed to be dead.

This is such a pain…

Hey now! Let's all lay off the boss! He's a fragile old boy right now, HAHAHAHA!

There's that teamwork again…

It's alright! We're "Your Shield," after all!

My, you're certainly more spirited than the last bunch! Please, keep that smile up 'til the very end!

Gotta' confess… I'm not doing so hot.

It's your own fault for not properly equipping a Key Page.

Like I could know I was about to be dragged into battle. I thought Keter had it.

There was your first problem: You thought! Simply experience the pleasures of life as they come, and smile, smile, SMILE!!

Netzach. You can handle this much still, can't you?

Don't really feel like it… But there's not much choice.

Then do it. Don't worry about what you've forgotten or what may have been.

Man… what a pain...

Let's get to it, I guess…

Since both San and Julia rolled lower than all our dice, we can get away with taking all our actions before them.

On average, this means that Netzach should be able to recover some Stagger Resistance with Taste My Flaming Bat! before tanking the hit from Julia's 0-cost page. Mr.Black's lack of Light worries me, so I'm also hoping he manages to Stagger or book San.

They've sped up..?

Nah… your attack was just slower.

Ack—my head!

There goes that plan, I guess. Props to Netzach for rolling exactly 4 on a 3-9 die, enough to Stagger but not enough to give us a chance of defeating him this turn. :rolldice:

Mr.Black follows up, knocking him down to 5 HP left. Burn will reduce that to 3, so San's a light poke away from being out of the fight.

While Netzach is on his last legs with 8 HP left, the enemy's decided to target Mr.Black exclusively. Meanwhile, he's running into the problem of being in protracted fights with a 2-dice page this early—his Light's down to only 1 left, and on top of that…

We only have two pages left in our hand. I got lucky and drew a 1-cost that can take out San, but from here we're basically out of options without just taking dead turns on Mr.Black in the middle of a fight.

Since Netzach can't outspeed either of our two guests this turn, he's just going to hit the weakened Zwei Fixer as hard as he can.

Now then, let's just finish off that—

No you don't! San's an associate of ours, so don't think you'll get at him so easily.

:v: And I don't really care that much, but since Miss Julia does, I'll help out.

I'll overlook it this time, but that's not the attitude you should have...

Can you overlook this, too?

What?! No! Obviously!

Then how about this?! HAHAHA!!

I'm not overlooking anything from either of you!

No… No, they're just trying to get to me. That laughing man seems to be tired. I'll focus on the other one, who's on his last legs.

At last, we have a reasonable-looking turn of two clashes against two opponents.

Hoho, nice try there! But there's a frown on that face of yours…

There you are! Nothing makes you smile like a good book!

How dare you!

It's just business, lady.

This is anything but business!

This is… bad…

But I don't want to die here, either.

Then get out of my way.

Not an option, I'm afraid...

For this turn, I decide to aim for nothing but one-sided attacks, which turns out to be a very stupid idea for reasons we'll get into momentarily.

Netzach is using Commandeering, to go with Mr.Black's Rampage.

This mission is all but hopeless...

Julia's attack hits first, putting both her defensive dice into her defense queue.

But as long as I'm still standing, I can find a way out.

Which allows her to completely dodge Mr.Black's Rampage, leaving him with 0 Light.

Enjoy that hit. It's the last one you'll be landing!

Julia's attack isn't anything particularly strong. Unfortunately for Netzach, though…

We don't have any pages we can play. In the early game, decks fall off hard once we lose our free Light refills at every Emotion Level. Without some other way to regain our Light, it leads to situations like this later on where the enemy gets free turns.

Oh… I guess that's it…

And stay down!

Music: GuestBattle02

From here, it's just a 1-on-1 slugfest.

...You've slain him.

You're not going to get angry after all this, right?

HAHAHA… no, no you don't need to worry about that.

Life, death, everything's best with a smile! I'll miss his, but it's important that I not change my ways!

What's with that obsession with smiles… it's creepy, you know?!

That's simply the way it's always been! Service with a smile! Complaints handled with a smile! Good little boys and girls, smiling as I make sure to meet their needs! A smile cures ills, settles fears, papers over any injury no matter how bloody! Those smiles, they're the essence of the hospitality industry!

What part of this is hospitality?! All you're doing is killing anyone who comes in here!

It's still better than working food service.

Here, on Scene 12, is where I make a massive error. With her using Retaliate and Mr.Black's Stagger Resist at just 4, my only real option is to play a Rampage and pray that one of the hits overcomes her evade die.

Instead, I decide to use Goin' First for some reason. Evade dice are always a draw, and the second die is a 2-2 going up against a 4-5.

That means this Stagger was the only possible outcome. :doh:

Okay… If I just pour everything into this strike…

On the upside for us, we have a decent chance of surviving this hit as long as she rolls a 4 or lower.

:rolldice:

I… I did it. San… Everyone… I'm sorry I couldn't stop them.

When we lose, as long as we have floors left we're brought back here. The defeated floor has the enemy's symbol on it, and we get to select where they'll run to next. It's also possible to update Key Pages and change decks around on this screen, as long as we haven't used them so far in the reception.

Exit… exit. I just have to get out of here, and…

I'm sorry, but it's not time for you to leave yet.

What?! I won, didn't I?! Everyone gave their all, and I just barely..!

Unfortunately, your Ordeal isn't yet over. You'll have to go through us.

Oh… nuts.

May I?

Of course.

If I just…

I won't let you run, or hide.

You made it further than the others… but that ends here.

Altogether, Zwei Association 2 is another small step up in difficulty. So long as you're not being a complete idiot like me, they shouldn't be too much trouble. Farewell, Streetlight Office. :patriot:

That was a close one, huh..?

Perhaps this will put a stop to Netzach's questionable decision-making.

Well, he's dead, so…

No one can die here without my permission.

Music: Result

...Ah. I knew it was too good to be true.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What a delectable experience! I want to capture it and bake it into a quiche!

Please don't.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

I touched up the headquarters of L Corp, the center of it, for my own use. I have no comment to make on the Distortion Phenomenon that apparently started occurring afterwards. I have little to no information about that phenomenon, either. Though I do have a guess.

Whoa, that came outta nowhere…

You were curious about it earlier, weren’t you? I was created as a mechanical secretary to assist the manager of Lobotomy Corporation. I was designed to look like a human, feel emotions, and make evaluations and judgements based on those emotions. It’s as you suspected; I was born in secret, violating the AI Ethics Amendment.

I never got to make my own judgement, funnily enough. I had to read the same script over and over for one million years, all for the success of a single project. The play that never seemed to end finally concluded one day, and… And…

I don’t know who came up with that insane plan, but thanks to them, the Distortion Phenomenon started wreaking havoc on the City at random intervals. Ordinary people would turn into monsters all of a sudden. And they’d kill everything in sight.

And the first ever case of the Distortion, boy, was that a hellscape. It happened without any oncoming sign in a District that everyone believed to be relatively safe. The massacre was a work of art, too. It was named ‘The Pianist’ for a reason. What more could I say.

Anyway, thanks for telling me all that. Must have been a sensitive topic to you.

You aren’t as shocked as I expected.

The monsters created from the Distortion did give off a suspiciously similar vibe to this library and its caretakers. You must’ve gone through a whole lot of distress in your life.

…You can use this book. I tried writing down the relationship between L Corp. and the Distortion phenomenon. It should be quite valuable to them under these circumstances.

The Book of Distortion is the book Angela just referred to. It's a special book, which can be lost like any other but will come back automatically after we clear any reception successfully. Unlike most books, it cannot be burned to get new stuff—it's only for bringing in new opponents.

And speaking of new opponents, it's also the key to unlocking Malkuth's next Abnormality Battle! You guys know what that means. :getin:

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Its memories began with a warm hug."

Our Shield Now.

Videos

Zwei Association 3

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 6, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aw, poor Julia.

Good job getting that close to taking them down in one floor with that much of a disadvantage!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Poor Julia. So close, and yet so far.

New Key Pages

There is but one thing to say about these.

:mediocre:

Their cards on the other hand...

New Combat Pages

Probably the first card to just be outright better than E-Endure - though paralysis is still really good so you should still use it. It's basically a mini Retaliate. +2 Endurance on a 1 cost card is pretty loving insane, especially one that leads off with a pretty solid evade dice. You use this twice in a row, and that evade gets bumped up to an incredible 3-8. A fantastic addition to the endurance-stacking Zwei archetype.

Really good rolls for a 2-cost that get even better if you win clashes with it. I've never used it, though. This and Silent Night have really evocative artwork, too.

Inferior to Silent Night in every way that matters. Protection isn't that useful a status effect, especially at this stage of the game.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
Mr.Black continues to scare me but I love him even more than before. Is this stockholm syndrome?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Tenebrais posted:

Aw, poor Julia.

Julia might seem nice, but she too kills people for a living, let's not forget :v:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

You know she's good at it because she gets a full scale Zewihander, instead of a normal sword or police baton.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if later in the future if TQ fights late game guests with Rats keypage and wins.

The Library believes in fair fight. Your party size and floors aren't allowed to exceed the enemy. 2 acts fight and you get 2 floors. 1 act, 1 floor.

Getting whacked by Julia or Isadora (this is not a spoiler hopefully since it's obvious Isadora is next in line) 5 times gets you +1 HP battle symbol. And HP+ & Stagger Resist+ battle symbol is much more important than damage boost with very low chance.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if later in the future if TQ fights late game guests with Rats keypage and wins.

The Library believes in fair fight. Your party size and floors aren't allowed to exceed the enemy. 2 acts fight and you get 2 floors. 1 act, 1 floor.

Getting whacked by Julia or Isadora (this is not a spoiler hopefully since it's obvious Isadora is next in line) 5 times gets you +1 HP battle symbol. And HP+ & Stagger Resist+ battle symbol is much more important than damage boost with very low chance.

Maybe this is just me, but I don't have much patience in seeking out specific battle symbols. I just let them come as they may.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Equipping battle symbols for their minuscule mechanical benefits is an exercise in wasting your time. You should only ever use them to style your nuggets. For example, Yesod's floor needs, among other things, an assortment of Zwei hats and those gimp masks from the Murderer to finalize a proper leather gay look (which is the only proper way to outfit his floor).

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I always thought that Finn actually was 3 kids in a trenchcoat (you can beat the poo poo out of him with 3 librarians) or that Yun office was stronger than you might think (3 floorx x 3 librarians vs 2 waves of 2 opponents). And 2 floors vs 1 act of Brotherhood of Iron, 3 floors vs 2 act of Hook office...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
We actually had 3 floors available for this fight. If we somehow had four librarians we’d be limited to only using three, though.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Our Shield Now.

Look it was obvious from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
STREETLIGHT is OVER

Also nice change to Medea's lines TQ I guess you just didn't show her on kill line before? Oops

TeeQueue posted:

Can't wait for anime squad so I have easy joke material :V

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 5, 2021