Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Goreld posted:

I wonder how many people drive a long distance to save a few bucks on gas, but don’t check how much extra gas they consume in doing so.

Or don't value their free time whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Goreld posted:

I wonder how many people drive a long distance to save a few bucks on gas, but don’t check how much extra gas they consume in doing so.

Given our gas prices get published statewide every night at midday the day before (effective midnight) Google should calculate this for me goddammit

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
ill never understand the costco gas lines

lets say i have some crazy job where i drive 8 hours all day, and i have to get gas every single day

assuming:
costco gas is an insane $.20/gal cheaper
18 gallon tank
fillup everday
= $3.60 savings per tank
= $18 a week
= $72 a month

considering most people I see in line are just average people filling up their family suv I don't believe anyone is even close to this level of savings. $72 dollars a month is a meaningful amount of money to a lot of people, but not to the people in costco gas lines

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Heres a tip for the gas lines. The hoses extend so you can pull up to any pump and just stretch the hose out if your gas cap is on the other side of the car. Its super easy to do.

I get such smug satisfaction out of skipping ahead of a bunch of cars and just stretching the hose to fill up before going on my merry way. I never have to wait more than 5 minutes when I go.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: nm they addressed it lol. I need to learn to read to the end of posts before replying.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 4, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Captain Beans posted:

lets say i have some crazy job where i drive 8 hours all day, and i have to get gas every single day

assuming:
18 gallon tank
fillup everday
= $3.60 savings per tank
= $18 a week
= $72 a month

considering most people I see in line are just average people filling up their family suv I don't believe anyone is even close to this level of savings. $72 dollars a month is a meaningful amount of money to a lot of people, but not to the people in costco gas lines

Yeah I usually don't bother unless I want to go inside, unless it's a stark savings like it has been lately. As high as 40c a gallon, I'll wait a couple rounds for that.

And last night the lines were long so I shopped first and was able to just cruise right on up to the pump, and fill on the opposite side. Yet on the next aisle it was a few cars deep and some guy in a pickup waited longer than it took me to get 20 gallons, while the spot behind me and a spot next to me was open, so some folks just don't care at all.

This one doesn't have the long hoses sign but I demonstrated to him that it easily goes across a truck bed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I guess gas is a hot commodity in my area because the Costco station is only like 5 cents cheaper than the other various stations around town (unless it’s Chevron which is always 20 cents more)

I recently switched jobs from a 90min commute to a 15min one so idgaf about gas prices anymore :c00l:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Heres a tip for the gas lines. The hoses extend so you can pull up to any pump and just stretch the hose out if your gas cap is on the other side of the car. Its super easy to do.

I get such smug satisfaction out of skipping ahead of a bunch of cars and just stretching the hose to fill up before going on my merry way. I never have to wait more than 5 minutes when I go.

You're probably one of those people who looks at me waiting in the long line like I'm an idiot. When I was in Oregon I had an attendant tell me the same thing and I had to sheepishly explain to her that I was so anal about my car that I didn't want the filthy hose touching my trunk.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

StormDrain posted:

Yeah I usually don't bother unless I want to go inside, unless it's a stark savings like it has been lately. As high as 40c a gallon, I'll wait a couple rounds for that.

Where I live Costco can be 40c/litre cheaper!

That can be $20-30/tank

We have this awesome weekly cycle where the margin will go to ~5c to ~50c gradually over a week (although lately it's changed to 14 days) and then reset

Apparently it's not collusion between gas companies - that would be illegal!

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

assuming:
18 gallon tank
fillup everday
= $3.60 savings per tank
= $18 a week
= $72 a month

How could you forget about the 4% cash back with the Costco credit card!

Let's say you do a more reasonable $72 a week. That's your 18 gallon tank at $4 a gallon at Costco in LA, which is actually around $.60 cheaper than most other places.

That ends up $288 a month for which you earn $11.50 back, on top of saving $43.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I filled up at the church just last night so here’s my anecdote.

Shell station right by house has regular at 3.99 right now, church was 3.41. I also got the 4% from my CC, and I was the only one in my entire pump lane at 6:30pm.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Or some people happen to drive past a Costco on their regular commute so it's not a big deal to see what the gas line is like? :shrug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PolishPandaBear posted:

How could you forget about the 4% cash back with the Costco credit card!

Let's say you do a more reasonable $72 a week. That's your 18 gallon tank at $4 a gallon at Costco in LA, which is actually around $.60 cheaper than most other places.

That ends up $288 a month for which you earn $11.50 back, on top of saving $43.

Yes and you get 4% back at any gas station. Not any, it doesn't work at ones associated with a grocery store. But almost all stand alone gas stations you get 4%.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Got my hands on this year's chocolates of the world collection and besides the cardboard box being vastly inferior to the previous plastic jar, it's a solid collection this year. And didn't they say where each chocolate came from in the past? The box this year just has a list of names and no indication of what came from where

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shame on an IGA posted:

The best coffee I've had from church is the huge bags of Lavazza and I eagerly await the day it returns

I buy the brownish bags of Lavazza espresso Crema e Aroma beans and use it for espresso and drip and it rules. Pretty much all I get now for beans!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i bought two packs of those king crab legs. steamed one set and baked the other with the broiler on in the last few minutes, which is definitely the way to go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gettin' some dogs tonight for supper. Can't wait.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I want to get a sonic toothbrush. I have trouble brushing the very back of one of my wisdom teeth (wish they would have taken out the ones on top) so I'm looking for something with a smaller head to get around the back.

Is the waterpik/toothbrush combo good? Or should I just get a normal sonic toothbrush and maybe a waterpik separately, or what?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I want to get a sonic toothbrush. I have trouble brushing the very back of one of my wisdom teeth (wish they would have taken out the ones on top) so I'm looking for something with a smaller head to get around the back.

Is the waterpik/toothbrush combo good? Or should I just get a normal sonic toothbrush and maybe a waterpik separately, or what?

I like the sonicare one and have used it for like 15 years now. The heads do get spendy but I have gotten the Chinese knockoffs from amazon on occasion I just worry that they’re full of heavy metals or something.

The head is a lot smaller than the oral B I found, so easier to get to the back. One thing a dental hygienist told me is they’re good for using on the gums too kind of angled upwards and they knock crud free between the teeth where the regular brushes don’t. Flossing is still better but both is really good.

Waterpik I tried but it was a lot more of a hassle I found at the time, this was ages ago perhaps they are better now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If they're trying to break me, it's working. I'm willing to move on the $1.50 hot dog price if they bring back deli mustard, onion dispenser, and combo slice.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

FogHelmut posted:

If they're trying to break me, it's working. I'm willing to move on the $1.50 hot dog price if they bring back deli mustard, onion dispenser, and combo slice.

I've given up and taken to home communion. An entire pack of the full size hot dogs is manageable if you just wrap each hot dog individually in a single layer of plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer to pull out as necessary.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pnumoman posted:

I've given up and taken to home communion. An entire pack of the full size hot dogs is manageable if you just wrap each hot dog individually in a single layer of plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer to pull out as necessary.

I wonder if you could do the hotdog + bun in the gentle foodsaver vacuum seal and then freeze, and just toss into microwave.. Probably the bun would get too hot, need to heat them separately.. Gotta get a team of scientists working on this!

On other microwaveable item news I tried out the frozen ramen that has the chicken + veg in the bowl and it was actually really drat good. Just fill water to line, microwave for 4 minutes and it was very tasty. Would be great to take for work lunches frozen etc.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

priznat posted:

On other microwaveable item news I tried out the frozen ramen that has the chicken + veg in the bowl and it was actually really drat good. Just fill water to line, microwave for 4 minutes and it was very tasty. Would be great to take for work lunches frozen etc.

I add some powdered ginger, garlic, and onion, and some toasted sesame seeds. Comes out pretty decent, especially for $2 a bowl.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Captain Beans posted:

This has been covered but your “insane” 20c cheaper needs to be doubled at minimum. Mine is frequently in the 50-60c cheaper range. I don’t get it either but the numbers don’t lie.

And I’m already at Costco so the opportunity cost is waiting for like 5, maybe 10 minutes. It’s nothing. Why not, at that point?

Psion fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 5, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

In other news I saw the ham but no puzzle. I also saw they’ve laid out the spider hoodie selection for the season so I’ll be seeing those on video calls for the next six months.

Maybe I’ll do business Costco next time, for fun. They’ve got a better beverage selection. This is the excitement of my life now :v:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/influencers-shanghai-are-posing-costco-pretending-l-rcna4162

quote:

On the Chinese social media and e-commerce app Xiaohongshu, known as “China’s answer to Instagram,” scores of young, lavishly dressed men and women have turned the American warehouse club into their muse. Dozens of posts captioned, “Pretending to be in Los Angeles,” often embellished by an American flag emoji, show people sitting cross-legged in shopping carts or lounging on the grass, framed by a crisp blue sky and the warehouse club’s bold, red logo.

Some fervent parishioners across the ocean.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Anyone who's gotten a COVID booster at church, do they care/let you mix and match? ie first set was Pfizer, want to get a Moderna booster

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Nobody shopping at costco is going to stay that thin

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nobody shopping at costco is going to stay that thin

That explains why I can rarely get small sized clothes there.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Making plans with a (non-member) friend, and he suggested a trip to church as our activity for the day LITERALLY as I read the last post to catch up on the thread. Costco truly works in mysterious ways.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My fave new purchase is the $8.99 collapsible InstaCrate. Perfect size to leave in the car, and works much better than reusable shopping bags for hauling heavier stuff.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

My fave new purchase is the $8.99 collapsible InstaCrate. Perfect size to leave in the car, and works much better than reusable shopping bags for hauling heavier stuff.

I buy the instacrate, load all my stuff in there, take it into the house, forget to put it back in the car, realize I do not have my instacrate on my next Costco trip, buy another one, put all my stuff in there, repeat process over again. I have like 10 of those things now, but I also plan on moving next year so they will all be getting some good use.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

This has been covered but your “insane” 20c cheaper needs to be doubled at minimum. Mine is frequently in the 50-60c cheaper range. I don’t get it either but the numbers don’t lie.

And I’m already at Costco so the opportunity cost is waiting for like 5, maybe 10 minutes. It’s nothing. Why not, at that point?

Dang that’s a pretty huge discount. Around here I’ve never seen it so much lower, usually it’s only like 10cents. Pretty wild how much it varies.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, if it’s that small a difference for you it makes more sense why you’d look at the lines and say why bother. But yeah i just filled up last trip, 40c cheaper than my neighborhood stations. Trip before that, like 50. How? No idea. Maybe the ceo told the gas companies he’d effin kill them?

I also saw in the quote I put 50-60 and should’ve put 40-50 so my bad but it still holds true overall that the difference here is a big deal, my inability to count aside

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 5, 2021

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

Dang that’s a pretty huge discount. Around here I’ve never seen it so much lower, usually it’s only like 10cents. Pretty wild how much it varies.

I don't know if it's nationwide or regional, but per my local attendants the benchmark was "10% cheaper than the nearest X stations" in normal times.

It's not currently that good here with already-high prices and the winter blend switchover — we're at ~5% — but local Costcos were hovering around $0.30 off back when gas was around $3.00.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Making plans with a (non-member) friend, and he suggested a trip to church as our activity for the day LITERALLY as I read the last post to catch up on the thread. Costco truly works in mysterious ways.

PBUC

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does anyone have a good recipe to mimic Costco's Mac and cheese.

I can get the flavor profile easily but I cannot get the sauce to that consistency. Even if I use sodium citrate it just doesn't get creamy enough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe to mimic Costco's Mac and cheese.

I can get the flavor profile easily but I cannot get the sauce to that consistency. Even if I use sodium citrate it just doesn't get creamy enough.

Best Mac and cheese recipe I have is just macaroni, shredded cheese and evaporated milk. So easy.

https://www.seriouseats.com/ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe

I never buy Kraft dinner anymore because of this

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Has anyone tried this stuff? Is it good?
It's weird, even for a jarred sauce. It's sour and runny and almost, but not quite, entirely unlike alfredo.