Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
A lot of new players don't even realize lb is a thing, especially if they come from other mmos. There's been multiple streamers where their chat had to beg them to put the button on a hotbar in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, when I first started playing, I thought that LBs were another one of the things that was just locked behind some milestone level in ARR’s main story, like mounts and a battle chocobo.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I don't think it goes into your hotbar automatically and the general category for action buttons is a weirdly obscure spot for it. I remember spending way too long looking for it my first time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm in the category of "not sure if there's an unspoken protocol about this." Is it generally safe to DPS LB if the final boss is getting low and the team's in decent shape? (I presume it should be saved for the healer if everyone's thrashed. Unless it'd end the fight, I guess?)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

People generally save it for melee dps on like the last 3% of the last boss, or lets it rot. Basically if it fills and you're melee on a boss or ranged on trash feel free to use it as early as convenient.

Tank lb is purely for specific savage fights and healer lb3 is the only one worth using when you have multiple people down.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there's a grand total two normal content fights where tank lb3 comes into play (unless i'm forgetting one) and for healers the only lb worth using is lb3 and you'll know whether or not they need it by the time it's charged

melee have priority vs bosses (unless it's one of the tank lb3 fights or poo poo is going sideways) and if they don't pop it in a timely fashion then the red mages are likely to flashbang the party :getin:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 5, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Low level LBs save like a whole second on boss fights, and they're not interesting enough to stop doing my rotation unless we're struggling.

It's good stuff on trash pulls though.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I think melee lb1 might even be an overall DPS loss at certain levels due to the long cast time and animation

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mainwaring posted:

I think melee lb1 might even be an overall DPS loss at certain levels due to the long cast time and animation

If you have to dodge mechanics it's probably not worth it. You should never need to do a LB in a 4man anyway, though there are places where you can use it to speed things up like the second boss of Qarn.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm level 80, I've done all the quests and a bunch of group content. I've literally never done a limit break, the system was never explained to me and since I can gently caress over my whole group by clicking that button I just won't use it ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's a secret about Limit Breaks people will get mad at me for revealing: if you're not doing Extreme or Savage content (and even then, if you're not a healer, a melee DPS, or very rarely, a tank) Limit Breaks almost never matter and you probably don't need to press the button.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Arist posted:

Here's a secret about Limit Breaks people will get mad at me for revealing: if you're not doing Extreme or Savage content (and even then, if you're not a healer, a melee DPS, or very rarely, a tank) Limit Breaks almost never matter and you probably don't need to press the button.

The corollary to this is, limit breaks almost never matter so if you feel like using one you aren't wrecking the run

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pro move is to ranged/magic lb the biggest mob pack during a wall pull. Now that saves time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dps, limit break when it's ready and you rooting in place for 10 isn't going to cause significant issues. Melees get priority over casters/ranged but if your melees aren't using it after a while, go for it.

The scenarios where you might cause actual problems by limit breaking at an inopportune time are extremely uncommon or limited to top end content where your group will be coordinating anyway.

Hit the button.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In my case, I usually play ranged and caster, I know full well LB is best used on trash in dungeons, and I start most dungeons trying to remember to use it at an opportune time...

And I still forget most of the time. It's just such a relatively rare button to press that I tend to tune the bar out entirely as I focus on training and it doesn't re-enter my brain until the end.

But I do try to remember at least!

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

maybe if you're in a burst window but generally you shouldn't lb during that anyways

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The fun part is on one specific piece of endgame content, melee lb3 is still a damage loss.

FFXIV is a game of edge cases, but working around the 98% of normal scenarios is fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tortolia posted:

The fun part is on one specific piece of endgame content, melee lb3 is still a damage loss.

FFXIV is a game of edge cases, but working around the 98% of normal scenarios is fine.

You're referring to SoS, correct? That's a bit of a special case, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SettingSun posted:

Pro move is to ranged/magic lb the biggest mob pack during a wall pull. Now that saves time.

The biggest wall pull in most dungeons seems to be the first one, when it isn't charged up :(

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
broke: melee lb overkilling the last 1% of the final dungeon boss

woke: caster lb on the biggest trash pull

bespoke: stun and lb on the giant in msq roulette to skip cid running around

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Because I also forget to LB the boss as a BLM (I definitely nuke a big pack with it though), if it hasn't been used I always make sure to use it to blow up the treasure chest.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How's the companion app?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heran Bago posted:

How's the companion app?

It sucks but you get a sweet emote from it, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arist posted:

It sucks but you get a sweet emote from it, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Wait, what emote do you get?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, what emote do you get?

/tomestone

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arist posted:

/tomestone

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You play with one like it's a smartphone. It's cute.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:siren:ENDWALKER NOTICE FROM THE THREAD OP:siren:

I've started thinking about this thread's future with Endwalker dropping soon, and my tentative decision is that I will update the OP with necessary changes rather than closing this thread and starting over. My thinking is that not a lot is going to change for the purposes of new players, so a simple update when Endwalker drops will suffice.

However, I'm open to feedback if anyone feels differently or has any suggestions for significant things to change in the OP.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, no real reason to make a new thread. It's 99% accurate still.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I'm completely greedy with LBs and like to play LB chicken with the other melee DPS in alliances and raids. Just looking at those bars, going "Is he gonna hold out for a level 2/3 or should I just use it now to look cool?", which is almost always the main reason I might "forget" use it. It's like pixels away from L2 or 3 and I want to the big move but then somehow the boss loses 10% HP in that time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No one should be discussing anything super Endwalker specific in this thread ANYWAY so it doesn't need a refresh

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The summoner description in the op will be quite out of date come endwalker. Also it might be worth mentioning some of the other free trial restrictions: no market board, no joining an fc etc.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Are there any tips for making the Blade’s relic 180 item grind less awful? For the moment I’m doing it in Bozja so I can finish the plot there but once I’m done is it faster to do it there or by queuing for endless raids as a healer?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mainwaring posted:

The summoner description in the op will be quite out of date come endwalker. Also it might be worth mentioning some of the other free trial restrictions: no market board, no joining an fc etc.

Yeah, that's on the list of things to update.

Still waiting for someone to tell me how Sage plays, I think I have a decent idea of Reaper.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hopeandjoy posted:

Are there any tips for making the Blade’s relic 180 item grind less awful? For the moment I’m doing it in Bozja so I can finish the plot there but once I’m done is it faster to do it there or by queuing for endless raids as a healer?

I nearly had the entirety of it done just doing Zadnor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

By the time you're done with Zadnor you should be close to done with it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to then go do some raids to finish off the last few, since you can get the items for the final stage from the Dalriada at the end.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

You're referring to SoS, correct? That's a bit of a special case, though.

No, actually. Delubrium Reginae Savage. With valors, pure essences, and lost action attacks and possibly the duel buff, melee LB3 is a net damage loss versus just doing normal rotational stuff - especially since LB damage is tied to ilevel and DRS synchs you to i430. Also you need healer LB3 for raises.

hopeandjoy posted:

Just realize that the items are tied to the "zone" of zadnor. Zone 1 gives you two of the items, zone 2 gives you two different items, and zone 3 gives you the last pair. Target where you're spending time based on what skirmish tokens you need, and just queue for every CE you see. And once you hit RR25, clear the Bozja story so you can funnel that extra mettle into permanent buffs. You might want to do a few extra raids on the side to clear out the last few stubborn CE tokens but grinding out 180 clears of 8 mans is making it way harder than it needs to be.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, that's on the list of things to update.

Still waiting for someone to tell me how Sage plays, I think I have a decent idea of Reaper.

FFXIVMomo did a great breakdown on Youtube, I don't want to link it in here since it's been a bit since I watched it and it may be sorta spoilery in terms of background footage. In short, it's somewhat comparable in toolkit to Scholar, and plays a bit like old timey DRK where you have a specific skill you hit to modify several of your skills as situationally needed. There's more to it than that of course.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I don't think there's a reason to restart the thread. Unless there's some major system change they mention tonight, but it would probably have con up earlier of it was that impactful.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Oh god I finally got around to unlocking triple triad and now I can't do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Any way I can stop these pointless messages or at least make them not take up half the screen?