Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

stev posted:

D4 was never coming out in 2022 was it? I got the impression that it was maybe a 2023/4 game.

I think the only hard info we had on D4's release date is that it wouldn't be in 2021, so there was a slight chance it could have come out in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They were definitely dropping some hints that they wanted a 2022 release and it makes sense given what we know of blizz's dev pipeline that they would've needed D4 and OW2 to basically carry their earnings in 2022. They were obviously banking on, at minimum, one of them releasing in 2022, but most likely actually both. Like blizzard has a 1.5 bill operating budget, presumably they can develop the glorified OW patch that is OW2 and Diablo 4 at the same time while turning out maybe 1 big wow patch.

Or could before the failure cascade kicked into overdrive with all the lawsuits. By all accounts their actual productivity and morale was rock bottom even before the lawsuits hit. Since the lawsuits hit hiring has been pretty much at a stand still and they continue to hemorrhage their veteran leads and talent at every level and it's hard to imagine that much is actually getting done when fresh bad news is breaking on a weekly basis.

tbh the 2023 release is optimistic in that it makes the assumption that 1) blizzard stops the talent bleeding 2) blizzard fixes the morale/harassment/discrimination stuff 3) unfucks their hiring and development/onboarding process and 4) actually has a clear idea of where the projects need to go. Those are some huge things to unfuck while making multiple AAA titles in just 15 months

OW2 in particular is clearly a huge clusterfuck if they're going from '5v5 is a disaster to balance' ~5 months ago to 'hopefully we will have OW2 in a playable beta state by the time owl starts playing on it in early 2022' a few months ago to today's announcement that it's 15+ months out.

anyways this is why we're seeing kotick take a completely meaningless minimum wage salary, there's got to be a lot of people at this point realizing that his management has led to nothing but a massive lawsuit filled smoking crater. Hell, he was already unpopular with shareholders when activision was at its peak.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 3, 2021

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

anyways this is why we're seeing kotick take a completely meaningless minimum wage salary, there's got to be a lot of people at this point realizing that his management has led to nothing but a massive lawsuit filled smoking crater. Hell, he was already unpopular with shareholders when activision was at its peak.

Eh, the shareholders don't have to like him, as long as the board directors do. I'm guessing he has enough buddies in the board to do whatever he wants. CEOs are not allowed to influence board selection (i.e. pack it with friendlies), but they absolutely do it all the loving time.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

stev posted:

D4 was never coming out in 2022 was it? I got the impression that it was maybe a 2023/4 game.

Every day it becomes more obvious that Blizzard rushed a D4 announcement for a game that didn’t exist past concept art to quell the Hong Kong controversy.

And poo poo, it worked, for a while.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They were definitely dropping some hints that they wanted a 2022 release and it makes sense given what we know of blizz's dev pipeline that they would've needed D4 and OW2 to basically carry their earnings in 2022. They were obviously banking on, at minimum, one of them releasing in 2022, but most likely actually both. Like blizzard has a 1.5 bill operating budget, presumably they can develop the glorified OW patch that is OW2 and Diablo 4 at the same time while turning out maybe 1 big wow patch.

Or could before the failure cascade kicked into overdrive with all the lawsuits. By all accounts their actual productivity and morale was rock bottom even before the lawsuits hit. Since the lawsuits hit hiring has been pretty much at a stand still and they continue to hemorrhage their veteran leads and talent at every level and it's hard to imagine that much is actually getting done when fresh bad news is breaking on a weekly basis.

tbh the 2023 release is optimistic in that it makes the assumption that 1) blizzard stops the talent bleeding 2) blizzard fixes the morale/harassment/discrimination stuff 3) unfucks their hiring and development/onboarding process and 4) actually has a clear idea of where the projects need to go. Those are some huge things to unfuck while making multiple AAA titles in just 15 months

OW2 in particular is clearly a huge clusterfuck if they're going from '5v5 is a disaster to balance' ~5 months ago to 'hopefully we will have OW2 in a playable beta state by the time owl starts playing on it in early 2022' a few months ago to today's announcement that it's 15+ months out.

At this point, I'm assuming both projects will be cancelled when blizz gets folded up and replaced with a new studio trying to use the blizz IPs.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft3LSNsMivk

It truly needs to be seen to be believed just how dumb some of Activisions arguments are. They truly are a scummy company.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Every day it becomes more obvious that Blizzard rushed a D4 announcement for a game that didn’t exist past concept art to quell the Hong Kong controversy.

where are blitzchung and those two announcers anyway

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's almost certainly not due to that, but trying to show investors (and the rest of Activision) that they had some kind of revenue generator on the horizon. Schreier notes that several months before the Blitzchung incident they already knew that OW2/D4 would be at the upcoming Blizzcon: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1455908839723839499

Of course now they don't have any revenue on the horizon at all so just lmao

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

parasyte posted:

It's almost certainly not due to that, but trying to show investors (and the rest of Activision) that they had some kind of revenue generator on the horizon. Schreier notes that several months before the Blitzchung incident they already knew that OW2/D4 would be at the upcoming Blizzcon:

They still have on-going revenue streams tied to each of their live games, but yeah, they're obviously pushing to get new titles out to satisfy the wolves at the gates.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Do they still count as live games if Blizzard's running them into the ground?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 4 looked utterly out of ideas in what little we'd seen of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole project was rebuilt now that the lead has been canned.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 4 looked utterly out of ideas in what little we'd seen of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole project was rebuilt now that the lead has been canned.

Meanwhile what GGG has shown of Path of Exile 2 looks pretty amazing, which must add some pressure. They must've realized D4 simply has to be a smash hit, or the company is done for.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

Honestly idk what's left untapped in the genre, if it isn't already in a moba somewhere because that business model encourages just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks (sells as a new character/moveset)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Diablo 4 looks to straight up be an MMO with private instanced hubs. There was a big emphasis on public events with pick-up groups out in the zones in the preview material.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

Diablo 4 looks to straight up be an MMO with private instanced hubs. There was a big emphasis on public events with pick-up groups out in the zones in the preview material.

yeah it's probably a continuation on the direction they were headed with D3 and its expansions - just procgen instanced maps with custom settings and a matchmaker with competitive ladders

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

parasyte posted:

It's almost certainly not due to that, but trying to show investors (and the rest of Activision) that they had some kind of revenue generator on the horizon. Schreier notes that several months before the Blitzchung incident they already knew that OW2/D4 would be at the upcoming Blizzcon: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1455908839723839499

Mm, I see. You’ll have to forgive me for not keeping up with Schreier, he is frequently correct but always a twat.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Mm, I see. You’ll have to forgive me for not keeping up with Schreier, he is frequently correct but always a twat.

Honestly it's easy to mistake Blizzard caring about its player base, but you gotta remember: the investors ALWAYS come before the players.

It's an easy mistake to make because they spend so much money making them players think they care.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Cya later Bobby.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460641681355718659?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/KirstenGrind/status/1460641844346298371

https://twitter.com/KirstenGrind/status/1460641847366205447

quote:

`Ms. Oneal said in the email she had been sexually harassed earlier in her career at Activision, and that she was paid less than her male counterpart at the helm of Blizzard, and wanted to discuss her resignation. “I have been tokenized, marginalized, and discriminated against,” wrote Ms. Oneal, who is Asian-American and gay.

She described a party for an Activision development studio she attended with Mr. Kotick around 2007 in which scantily clad women danced on stripper poles. At the same party, a DJ encouraged female attendees to drink more so the men would have a better time, according to another person who was present.`

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 16, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460646958226362368?s=20

loving blizzard

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The worst part is that a lot of people predicted this was the case when the silly co-president arrangement was trotted out, and lo and behold. :sigh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WSJ posted:

In 2006, one of his assistants complained that he had harassed her, including by threatening in a voice mail to have her killed, according to people familiar with the matter. He settled the matter out of court, the people said.

The Activision spokeswoman said: “Mr. Kotick quickly apologized 16 years ago for the obviously hyperbolic and inappropriate voice mail, and he deeply regrets the exaggeration and tone in his voice mail to this day.”

He didn't even deny that one. Jesus loving Christ what an awful human being.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Now he will be punished in the worst way an ultra-rich person can be: he'll be forced to live with his hundreds of millions for a couple years until this blows over enough that he can be put on boards again.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Even if he resigns, all the scum that's hanging around him needs to be fired too, otherwise it wont actually fix anything.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460658830703042569?t=d9tyYJcXEInnijiLlZMeqA&s=19

Welp

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why am I picturing his face beetroot red and tear-streaked as he writes this?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Guess he’s gonna thrash until he’s publicly forced out (and paid out), not realizing that the top people that wanted him out in the first place probably gave that info to WSJ.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

what's he gonna do when he can't disavow someone else for making a tone deaf video now though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lmfao

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Posting through it I see.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

stev posted:

Why am I picturing his face beetroot red and tear-streaked as he writes this?

I dunno, I'm thinking his reaction would be more like Tommy Wiseau from The Room

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, I'm thinking his reaction would be more like Tommy Wiseau from The Room

That can't be right, Wiseau is so much more relatable and charismatic than Bobby.

Malah
May 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460672531002707976

Here we go again.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Is anyone else getting promoted tweets from Activision?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Just walk out and don’t come back. Some things can’t be fixed.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Here's the full text of the WSJ article: https://archive.md/qzzFf

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mikemil828 posted:

Just walk out and don’t come back. Some things can’t be fixed.

I’m sure many would love to but don’t have the financial security to just leave a job and hope for the best.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the co-head of Treyarch (call of duty) is out as a result of the article:

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1460644252610973698

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
JFC!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460695834677366794?s=20

Traveller posted:

Is anyone else getting promoted tweets from Activision?
big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The fact that they had a man and a woman co-leading Blizzard after a sexism scandal, and they paid the man more for doing the same job, is so tone-deaf that I can't believe it's real.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1407658278893592579

Even if Kotick is fired for cause, he still makes more money than the average AB employee makes in a few years of work. Why do companies set up executive compensation plans like this? You'd think they'd want to strongly incentivize their leadership not to get fired for cause as much as possible.

EDIT: I wonder if his recent request to the board to reduce his compensation affected the above. Maybe his plan is to get fired!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 16, 2021