Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

It was superior because Guy was no longer a crapborg but it would have been better if it had Galion instead.

30 GGG is better because of this. EvoGuy + Gaolion.

Maybe i'm misremembering but I was always under the impression that the Galeon in the original show was a nerfed/incomplete design due to Earth never being able to figure out how Galeon really worked (hence why Mamoru went off to space with it at the end of the show, and why Genesic Galeon/GaiGar actually has a different design since it achieved its true form).

Yeah GFG was made out of necessity but even if GaoFar was only on par with GaiGar (ignoring GaoFar's ability for self-sustained flight and having integrated phantom rings), GaoFar's Gao Machines were clearly superior than what GaoGaiGar had access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Kchama posted:

Anyways the only series with no acceptable music is Zeta (as usual) and Code Geass (Shoulda sprung for O2 or World End somehow!!).

I'm that one weird person who likes Kantaisen >_>;

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe i'm misremembering but I was always under the impression that the Galeon in the original show was a nerfed/incomplete design due to Earth never being able to figure out how Galeon really worked (hence why Mamoru went off to space with it at the end of the show, and why Genesic Galeon/GaiGar actually has a different design since it achieved its true form).

Yeah GFG was made out of necessity but even if GaoFar was only on par with GaiGar (ignoring GaoFar's ability for self-sustained flight and having integrated phantom rings), GaoFar's Gao Machines were clearly superior than what GaoGaiGar had access to.

Galeon was incomplete but still central to why GGG worked at all. However once Guy evolved he became a huge source of power himself and GaoFaiGar was designed to make use of that instead of Galeon.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it is worth noting that Generic Gaogaigar was arguably the first time GGG wasn't crippled. Gaogaigar has to deal with Guy being a crumbling cyborg held together by courage and GaoFaiGar had to use tech to replace the missing Gaolion

One of the things I liked about Gaogaigar, the show, was the big unspoken truth about Guy; Despite his optimism and boasts about being the worlds mightiest cyborg, he is basically in a glorified Iron Lung and for a long time him doing his strongest attack would send him into the emergency room. A bit of darkness in what is basically a kids show about robots smashing each other.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I like how l gaim has to plug in it's dumb wrist mounted laser cannon for it to be able to work. It's a neat analog touch that I feel like wouldn't show up in a mech designed today.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The actual L-Gaim show goes to some pretty fun lengths to show how all this stuff pieces together early on, like you see details such as oil spilling out of the joints or the giant Buster Launcher has to power up with big lights. The L-Gaim itself is expressly a DIY mecha so it has a very homespun kitbashed aesthetic that gets lost on the Mark 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like when some random bandit actually manages to get in the lgaims cockpit but cant manage to get it to start because the whole thing is so shoddily constructed that he has no idea how it works

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Endorph posted:

i like when some random bandit actually manages to get in the lgaims cockpit but cant manage to get it to start because the whole thing is so shoddily constructed that he has no idea how it works

I'm here to remind you how Garrod managed to steal a mobile suit by blinding the optic sensors with paint, grappling just outside the cockpit and holding the pilot at gunpoint when he opened it up to see what he was doing.

Dude was like 14.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I'm here to remind you how Garrod managed to steal a mobile suit by blinding the optic sensors with paint, grappling just outside the cockpit and holding the pilot at gunpoint when he opened it up to see what he was doing.

Dude was like 14.

Fifteen. Same age as Amuro and Heero.

Gundam X was basically the height of Gundam leads being teenagers just because, with everyone going "Yeah, child soldiers are cool. I don't see why anyone would have an issue here."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Fifteen. Same age as Amuro and Heero.

Gundam X was basically the height of Gundam leads being teenagers just because, with everyone going "Yeah, child soldiers are cool. I don't see why anyone would have an issue here."

Child Soldiers make the most sense being in X because there has been a global apocalypse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah almost everyone in Gundam X is either old as gently caress (and thus would have been too old to fight in the revolutionary war) or in their teens-early 20s (and thus would have been too young).There's very few people in the show from Jamil and Lancerow's generation, because they all died during the war. I think the only exceptions are a few bandits and people who served in non-combat roles, like Dr. Techs or that one guy who was doing Cyber Newtype poo poo.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 5, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love how Garrod is just plainly AU Maito from Might Gaine.

KoB
May 1, 2009
the original GaoGaiGar is stronger because it has trains for shoulders, hope this helps.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Is that when he finds out it doesn't have a cockpit because the cockpit is Daba's bike so if you get in without it, there's just a big empty cavity with like a couple levers in it for emergencies?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah it's called a "Spiral Flow" (SpiFlow) and a few of the L-Gaim crew have robots that use them for cockpits. It's weird.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Policenaut posted:

Yeah it's called a "Spiral Flow" (SpiFlow) and a few of the L-Gaim crew have robots that use them for cockpits. It's weird.

I mean it's just a more compact version of the thing a bunch of Mecha do where the cockpit for it is a small jet, hovercraft, or car or something so it's not really that weird

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What if the pilder was just a seat for the panaramic cockpit instead of a whole thing that makes up a third of the head.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unlucky7 posted:

One of the things I liked about Gaogaigar, the show, was the big unspoken truth about Guy; Despite his optimism and boasts about being the worlds mightiest cyborg, he is basically in a glorified Iron Lung and for a long time him doing his strongest attack would send him into the emergency room. A bit of darkness in what is basically a kids show about robots smashing each other.

Yeah the Goldion Hammer was thought up entirely because using Hell and Heaven was going to kill Guy. Rather clever how they made a multi-episode dramatic arc as away to get a new robot toy on the show. :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Watching Knight's & Magic and Ernie is just a not villainous version of Shot Weapon. Just going to create all these death machines, because it's cool. What do you mean they can blow up half the city now and kill a hundred thousand people?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lostconfused posted:

Watching Knight's & Magic and Ernie is just a not villainous version of Shot Weapon. Just going to create all these death machines, because it's cool. What do you mean they can blow up half the city now and kill a hundred thousand people?

It's really funny how his job is to basically be the Super Robot Mad Scientist making the absurd prototypes which are then handed to more sane engineers to make into workable mass production models.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Eldora Team rules... even if some of the apparent Mexican stereotypes feel a bit awkward.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Just started the mission where Kyao jacks Gablae's mech and then, within minutes, trades it back to him for a top secret prototype (but also keeping his gun).

I think Gablae might be the dumbest man alive :allears:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

He's just a Tomino character. A lot of them are like that.

Like say Jerid spacing Kamille's mother and then being very confused as to why everyone got into a real big fight after that.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 6, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lostconfused posted:

He keeps the good poo poo to himself though.

He makes and keeps a 6-armed flying robot with super speed and magic sword guns.

And his friends get... a centaur bot.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Ikaruga is such a finnicky hard to control hangar queen piece of poo poo that, even if they could easily make more, nobody else can use the drat thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah almost everyone in Gundam X is either old as gently caress (and thus would have been too old to fight in the revolutionary war) or in their teens-early 20s (and thus would have been too young).There's very few people in the show from Jamil and Lancerow's generation, because they all died during the war. I think the only exceptions are a few bandits and people who served in non-combat roles, like Dr. Techs or that one guy who was doing Cyber Newtype poo poo.

Since it was 15 years ago, they should have the population numbers be relatively healthy up through 27 or so, percentage wise. It's the 30s-50s demographic that would have gotten gutted. So, basically the ideal soldier age demographics are full again, and child soldiers wouldn't be particularly in demand compared to the baseline.

Of course, they were casually fielding 15 year olds during the war, too, unlike in the original Gundam where Amuro being 15 made people regularly say "That's kinda hosed up" or "Seriously? That's where things are right now? Geeze."

But that all goes back to how not-postapocalyptic Gundam X often feels. Despite this supposedly having been the greatest calamity in history, most folks have gotten pretty casual about it, and dozens of Mobile Suits being wrecked is just an "Eh. Happens. Get some more." rather than "Holy gently caress, that was every functioning Mobile Suit in the country!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

Supremezero posted:

He makes and keeps a 6-armed flying robot with super speed and magic sword guns.

It only works because of the two super cores it has, which are not mass producible.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

KoB posted:

It only works because of the two super cores it has, which are not mass producible.

Still feel like he can make his friends something better than a centaur bot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

It's kind of a shame the secondary Silver Phoenix Knights aren't in this game because I like their mechs the most.

Frankly wonder if Prince Emrys got in just because he has a popular va.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 6, 2021

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Supremezero posted:

The encyclopedia entry for the Ikaruga even says something along the lines of 'it is simultaneously the best mech of its type ever made and a catastrophic failure
finicky piece of poo poo because literally no one but Ernie can do anything with it.'

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Still feel like he can make his friends something better than a centaur bot.

Centaur bots own though? Also it's worth noting that the anime adapts like 4 or 5 books out of a still ongoing series of novels, and they do get other stuff later on.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Supremezero posted:

... excuse me game

Did you just upgrade me from GaoFighGar to GaoGaiGar?

Like the original GaoGaiGar?

Couldn't you have at least slapped on GaoFighGar's Gao Machines? Or made it Star GaoGaiGar? I understand you can't do Genesic yet but how is this not a downgrade?

That is how the plot of the novel goes so...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I dunno if the game brings it up but the king of his country only gave Ernie the know-how to make a Silhouette Knight in exchange for coming up with a new MP model for theirs, so he can't just go making one-off units willy-nilly. Even the centaur became a one-seater unit when it was widely produced.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 6, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finished the game and drat are the final enemy faction designs and animations bad and boring. :(

And the ongoing ||mission to eradicate the leftovers|| at the end just means we dont get a denoutement where everyone parts ways.

Best times: Anytime Ryoma and the Rayearth girls are around. :3 Char bonding over crimes against humanity with people. the amazing hair and soundtrack for LGaim

Bad times: god the loving MJP bunch are so bad. bad art, boring characterizations, yuck. I mean Ernie and crew are similarly one note but at least they're all appealingly drawn and he's a giant robot nerd :v The GGG/ Betterman character art direction is so amazingly awful hahahah.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 6, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wonder if you get anything if you clear out literally everything in the game

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Alacron posted:

Just started the mission where Kyao jacks Gablae's mech and then, within minutes, trades it back to him for a top secret prototype (but also keeping his gun).

I think Gablae might be the dumbest man alive :allears:

Gablae did it on purpose because he didn't like being made to use a hostage.

Policenaut posted:

The actual L-Gaim show goes to some pretty fun lengths to show how all this stuff pieces together early on, like you see details such as oil spilling out of the joints or the giant Buster Launcher has to power up with big lights. The L-Gaim itself is expressly a DIY mecha so it has a very homespun kitbashed aesthetic that gets lost on the Mark 2.

The Mark-2 is also a DIY mecha. Like while the skeleton was something Posaydal's group made, it was still an entirely unfinished prototype when it was stolen and Kyao DIY'd it into functionality with junk-yard parts.

EDIT: Also when Getter Beam loses Post-Move, it gains +2 Range, which is a good deal.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It is wild to me that the only Getter Robo music in the base game is the Stoner Sunshine theme in a game where you can't use Stoner Sunshine.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You will find that centaur mechs are the best mechs and more mechs should be centaur mechs.

Also acceptable: mermaid mechs, drider mechs, and all other non-humanoid mechs that are not tanks or planes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i agree i want 86 in the next game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So out of curiosity, is there a decent tool to boost volume levels on individual music files?

I loaded a bunch of stuff I had onto a thumb drive to load some songs onto my PS4, but some songs are annoyingly quiet, and for some reason despite it being 2021, finding new versions of music tracks seems crazy hard now for some reason compared to how it used to be, with basically my only choice to be ripping songs from YT. And whenever I do that those inevitably end up strangely quiet too, so no winning :v: