Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao, let me just twist myself into knots defending garbage legislation because it actually does in fact do enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

poor people famously love getting tax credits

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

poor people famously love getting tax credits

only if they're properly means-tested, otherwise it is immoral and wrong

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

you got an awful big crush on a guy who still owes you six hundred dollars

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i love to kiss my tax credits on the mouth

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tax credits are great because an enormous number of people eligible for them never actually receive them for various reasons so you get to trumpet how much good you're doing without breaking the bank. now that's just smart policy making!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LanceHunter posted:

Nah, since I'm not massively disingenuous I realize that got that $600 back in January.

lol that's the one trump signed and then demanded that congress increase to $2k per person in the first place because $600 is ridiculously low

funny stuff

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if pro is the opposite of con, then what's the opposite of progress? democrats

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
well republicans are the opposite of progress. they're the "lets make everything worse for everyone" party. democrats are the "nothing can ever get better" party. also that's all the parties, there aren't any other choices.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Stereotype posted:

democrats are the "nothing can ever get better" party.

sounds like most posters in this thread are democrats

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

that's not fair

we just think things are gonna get much, much worse first

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i guess they're the "we don't want anything to get better" party then, because it's true i don't think anything is ever going to get better, but i do want it to get better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oneiros posted:

that's not fair

we just think things are gonna get much, much worse first

so you're a republican

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sagebrush posted:

so you're a republican

Are you a royalist?

... it explains so much.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

so what happens if you are a single parent with two kids under 6 and make $50k /yr, because i can't imagine that person is doing anything beyond desperately struggling to survive.

good news, one of your kids was just lifted out of poverty

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol @ the dems getting played by the dems again

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jonny 290 posted:

its me im the poster opening every post with "i know you're rich, but" but not realizing that a parent of two making 40k a year is taking the standard deduction every single time. my brain is huge and so smooth that nasa borrowed it to calibrate the JWST mirror

you get tax credits like the child tax credit irrespective of whether you itemize

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
a lot of people don’t file taxes at all, especially if they don’t make much or don’t want to deal with filling out all the paperwork. it means leaving money on the table though and, since we have a stupid system of arcane deductions and a big worksheet, that usually effects poor people. also if you fill out that worksheet wrong you can owe thousands of dollars or go to jail.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

iirc only like 80% of people who file who qualify for the eitc actually claim it

and then tax prep services suck up like 20% of the money they get

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
in theory you don’t need to even file to claim the child tax credit (if you’re poor enough to not need to file), although i can’t speak to how many people know that or how well the alternative sign-up system works

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Anyway, the reward for passing the lovely bipartisan bill is the big bill absolutely 100% failing:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1456990905546727431?t=1eTCOgU_UOpqLCsHD8kVcA&s=19

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
for real, filing taxes is criminally user-hostile in us of a

last year i did my taxes by hand (electronically via free fillable forms, but not with 'tax prep' software). reading the instructions and filling everything out correctly and checking it took me somewhere between 16-24 hours of work and i already had the previous years' transcripts to crib from

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

for real, filing taxes is criminally user-hostile in us of a

last year i did my taxes by hand (electronically via free fillable forms, but not with 'tax prep' software). reading the instructions and filling everything out correctly and checking it took me somewhere between 16-24 hours of work and i already had the previous years' transcripts to crib from

without fail, the few times i did my taxes by hand there was some tiny $1.50 error in one direction or another that occasionally resulted in me owing the irs around $10 extra once interest and penalties were factored in. i checked, re-checked and triple checked every last thing and i could never figure out why their numbers were slightly off from my own. i can only assume it was a part where it tells you to look up numbers in a chart and, while i pulled numbers directly from the chart as the instructions requested, they used the actual formula, which gave a more precise amount

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only if they're properly means-tested, otherwise it is immoral and wrong

Exactly, you wouldn't want someone making $50,001 getting the benefits intended for people who make <= $50,000

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's true. if they find a dollar on the ground they better leave it there for someone poorer to pick up.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

so as I understand it, this bill is about repairing roads and bridges, adding public transit, expanding rural broadband, etc. an article I read says there's $110bn for roads and bridges, which does not seem like enough even just for the bridges to me, but whatever. all of the social spending and climate change stuff is in a separate bill, and the reason this one was ever in question is that progressives know full well that the only way that the social spending is passing is if they can hold the infrastructure bill hostage, so they rightly demanded that the bills be voted on together. yesterday they cut some fuckin deal where the rightmost democrats agree to vote for the social spending if the PBO comes back in a few weeks and says the dem estimate of its costs are accurate.

just getting this image prepped for the social spending vote:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

so as I understand it, this bill is about repairing roads and bridges, adding public transit, expanding rural broadband, etc. an article I read says there's $110bn for roads and bridges, which does not seem like enough even just for the bridges to me, but whatever. all of the social spending and climate change stuff is in a separate bill, and the reason this one was ever in question is that progressives know full well that the only way that the social spending is passing is if they can hold the infrastructure bill hostage, so they rightly demanded that the bills be voted on together. yesterday they cut some fuckin deal where the rightmost democrats agree to vote for the social spending if the PBO comes back in a few weeks and says the dem estimate of its costs are accurate.

just getting this image prepped for the social spending vote:

is it only 110bil for the 10 year period of the bill? obama’s expiring highway bill was 305bil for 5 years.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1457106298479185921

lol at the thought of Biden blasting off an absolute rasper and you having to hope he didn't just poo poo hisself

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at the thought of Biden blasting off an absolute rasper and you having to hope he didn't just poo poo hisself

probably all those canned baked beans they serve there

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
This is the day Donald Trump Joe Biden became president.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart on all royals

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

akadajet posted:

fart on all royals

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
george bush ate sushi and barfed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

george bush ate sushi and barfed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

david cop-a-feel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Casual Encountess posted:

who can i get to make me a ramadan yospos sig when the time comes

I bet hbag would make you one

not a joke/slam/whatever, it actually seems like their jam

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao happy one-year anniversary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Seasons_Total_Landscaping_press_conference

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i hate to admit it but sometimes joe rules