Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this is the literal text of the amendment.

(3) Treatment as cash for purposes of section 6050i.--
Section 6050I(d) of such Code is amended by striking ``and'' at
the end of paragraph (1), by striking the period at the end of
paragraph (2) and inserting ``, and'', and by inserting after
paragraph (2) the following new paragraph:
``(3) any digital asset (as defined in section
6045(g)(3)(D)).''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall
apply to returns required to be filed, and statements required to be
furnished, after December 31, 2023.

as of the effective date, unless this gets specifically repealed, all crypto will fall under the statute. just reading this into the existing treasury regs covers most crypto transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here is the definition of a digital asset:

B) Definition of digital asset.--Section
6045(g)(3) of such Code is amended by adding at the end
the following new subparagraph:
``(D) Digital asset.--Except as otherwise provided
by the Secretary, the term `digital asset' means any
digital representation of value which is recorded on a
cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any
similar technology as specified by the Secretary.'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

in sum loving :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i actually misread - its not crypto transactions in excess of 10k - its any crypto transaction.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

i actually misread - its not crypto transactions in excess of 10k - its any crypto transaction.
lol

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:pray:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 6, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/dcuthbert/status/1456961510694064135

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i will note, that the reporting requirements only require people who are receiving digital assets as a course of business. people sending doge to each other as reddit tips or whatever wouldn't be covered.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

pseudopresence posted:

What exactly is 'web3' in these people's minds, I know it came up in the thread before but it slid right off my brain lobes

imagine if you got paid in somethingawfulcoins every time someone read your posts

like that, but stupider

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 6, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

The bZx incident currently joins the list at #5 as one of the largest cryptocurrency heists that have taken place this year:

PolyNetwork – $600 million
Cream Finance – $130 million (October)
Liquid – $94 million
EasyFi – $81 million
Uranium Finance – $50 million
Cream Finance – $37 million (February)
Alpha Homora – $37 million
Vee Finance – $35 million
Meerkat Finance – $31 million
Spartan – $30 million
Cream Finance – $29 million (August)
pNetwork – $12 million
Rari Capital – $11 million

Starting now

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m the defi that got hacked 3 times.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the cat that got the Cream Finance

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Qwertycoatl posted:

imagine if you got paid in somethingawfulcoins every time someone read your posts

like that, but stupider

it couldn't possibly be

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:yoshaha:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hammerite posted:

the cat that got the Cream Finance

𝕔𝕪𝕓𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕣𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕣𝕦𝕝𝕖𝕤 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕 𝕞𝕖 finance

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

quote:

You can put your social skill experiences on chain

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The only immutable thing about the blockchain is bitcoiners' understanding of security (0).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is the literal text of the amendment.

(3) Treatment as cash for purposes of section 6050i.--
Section 6050I(d) of such Code is amended by striking ``and'' at
the end of paragraph (1), by striking the period at the end of
paragraph (2) and inserting ``, and'', and by inserting after
paragraph (2) the following new paragraph:
``(3) any digital asset (as defined in section
6045(g)(3)(D)).''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall
apply to returns required to be filed, and statements required to be
furnished, after December 31, 2023.

as of the effective date, unless this gets specifically repealed, all crypto will fall under the statute. just reading this into the existing treasury regs covers most crypto transactions.

Lmao I didn't see the amendment and was going off my on hand rules for work. Jesus christ that's amazing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

miners get a fee from the spender each time Bitcoin or any other crypto currency is spent. if this does cover "any" crypto transaction then arguably any US mining operation would need to satisfy KYC regulations for every single transaction.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shifty Pony posted:

miners get a fee from the spender each time Bitcoin or any other crypto currency is spent. if this does cover "any" crypto transaction then arguably any US mining operation would need to satisfy KYC regulations for every single transaction.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

are you sure? I don't see where the law makes an exception to the $10k threshold.

I read the language of (d)(2) to mean that if you accept two $5,000 paper obligations in satisfaction of $10,000 due, you have to report (but not one in satisfaction of $5,000)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 6, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hammerite posted:

PolyNetwork – $600 million
Cream Finance – $130 million (October)
Liquid – $94 million
EasyFi – $81 million
Uranium Finance – $50 million
Cream Finance – $37 million (February)
Alpha Homora – $37 million
Vee Finance – $35 million
Meerkat Finance – $31 million
Spartan – $30 million
Cream Finance – $29 million (August)
pNetwork – $12 million
Rari Capital – $11 million

buttcoin: $37 million (February) $29 million (August) $130 million (October)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

not much sympathy for anyone losing their money with the group that has to disambiguate their previous hacks by month

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/...ingawful.com%2F

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gazpacho posted:

are you sure? I don't see where the law makes an exception to the $10k threshold.

I read the language of (d)(2) to mean that if you accept two $5,000 paper obligations in satisfaction of $10,000 due, you have to report (but not one in satisfaction of $5,000)

the new definition is in the bill not on anything current.

it changes 6050i to saying reporting is necessary for receipts of cash greater than 10k to receipt of cash greater than 10k and upon receipt of any digital asset.

Shifty Pony posted:

receiving a block reward from the system isn’t the same as someone paying you with a bitcoin.

that’s what this is set to cover - businesses that touch the poop will have to keep track of customers and report all poop touching to the irs. individuals should have been reporting their own poop touching activity aa their commodity trading is taxable.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

does that include all transactions on a crypto exchange too, since they're receiving it in the course of doing business, even if they're not being paid in it?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mr. Biden, pop that bubble!

That's why we voted for you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chalks posted:

does that include all transactions on a crypto exchange too, since they're receiving it in the course of doing business, even if they're not being paid in it?

crypto exchanges are the ones that are going to be most impacted, imo. same with any nft marketplace. to conduct business in the usa they’re gonna have to get all the kyc info and submit it to the irs for their users.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this won’t be an onerous hurdle for anyone operating legitimately. if the crypto business is backed with legitimate actors, this should have very little to no impact.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

if the crypto business is backed with legitimate actors

:lol:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr. Nice! posted:

this won’t be an onerous hurdle for anyone operating legitimately. if the crypto business is backed with legitimate actors, this should have very little to no impact.

lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Nice! posted:

:discourse:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Nice! posted:

:drat:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mr. Nice! posted:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Nice! posted:

in five years the crypto business will be completely legitimate

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:stroop::stroop:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

has anybody that isn't beepo who had a deal with an exchange or something actually cashed out their tens of thousands of dollars from selling an NFT?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

like the treasury isn't going to come out and say "every single crypto transaction between private parties must be reported under penalty of felony."

they're going to say "all us crypto exchanges or businesses that receive crypto will have to report transactions and kyc information." this is no different than how things are handled with banks and other businesses.

i am very skeptical that many american crypto businesses survive as a result because the the underlying backbone for crypto is illicit activity.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look we bought a fake address in some country not beholden to extradition treaties and put a banner on out site that says you must be not in america to use our services, what more do you want??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
buttcoin: the crypto business is backed with legitimate actors