Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah 4 wire passive humbuckers, you would probably want something like this

(ignore all the switch stuff, the important thing is that you connect those two wires together and tape em off)

hmm. I only replaced one pickup and have to contend with jackson colours, but yeah dont think I did anything like connecting and taping up wires. if i have motivation i might open it up today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

echinopsis posted:

hmm. I only replaced one pickup and have to contend with jackson colours, but yeah dont think I did anything like connecting and taping up wires. if i have motivation i might open it up today

this is one of the guitar things i never learned so i'm living vicarously through you. do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahah ok I had a peek this morning and noped right out but i’ll post some pics of what I intend to do

if this was me ultimate guitar i’d actually do it up exactly as I want* but it’s not so imma keep it as stock as possible for resale

* locking but but not a floating bridge. brutal bridge pickup and not even sure if i’d bother with a neck pickup at all, and just a volume knob, no tone control. and pickup wise? need to do a lot of research there because i was reading the seymour duncan website today and they had a section on “classic metal” pickups but they say classic means pre2010!!!’ so nu metal is now considered classic metal. i thought you’d get a kick out of that lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

killhamster posted:

this is one of the guitar things i never learned so i'm living vicarously through you. do it

see its the one thing im best at. i can wire a guitar up loving _crazy_. gimme three pickups and some pull pots and i'll do all sorts of stupid coil splitting phase inverting series/parallel bullshit

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i used to do guitar amp repair about 20h/week while studying for my EE degree, and i still do some from time to time when I’m not traveling for my job

would you guys be interested that i post it the next time round or is that more fitting in the project thread?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yes please! this is stuff that i'm super interested in but have a hard time getting an intuitive grasp of. same with ham stuff, tbh. i basically remembered the formulae and can apply them, but i haven't worked enough problems to have it really click where i know what to expect out the other side on either a guitar or a radio. i'm all over anything that's electricity 101 - 302 basically

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

i used to do guitar amp repair about 20h/week while studying for my EE degree, and i still do some from time to time when I’m not traveling for my job

would you guys be interested that i post it the next time round or is that more fitting in the project thread?

yes plz

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

yes it's completely overboard and insane but why do something if you aren't going to take it to the extreme?

i mean you could be taking to extreme *the wrong thing*

but yeah i don't know anything about building high powered compute clusters for classical music, so hoping for great discoveries in this rabbit hole :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
build an orchestra of servers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

after i move i can finally get a chair with no arms to play guitar in instead of sitting on the couch or holding it all weird in my office chair

obviously most any adjustable stool or chair without arms will work, but just in case there's something im missin here, any recommendations? just playing normally, not holding it classical style or anything

e: this owns but lol at spending $400

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 7, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
learning to play when in all sorts of awkward positions is good for the soul

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

took the quintet and made it in to a full ensemble thing, and also sped it up slightly

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/triumph

had to record it in 3 passes to not get popping due to the number of instruments playing, but it sure does sound nice having just about every instrument playing at once in some spots. sometimes forget how great everything together can sound

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah 4 wire passive humbuckers, you would probably want something like this

(ignore all the switch stuff, the important thing is that you connect those two wires together and tape em off)

2 humbuckers 1 volume

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

took the quintet and made it in to a full ensemble thing, and also sped it up slightly

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/triumph

had to record it in 3 passes to not get popping due to the number of instruments playing, but it sure does sound nice having just about every instrument playing at once in some spots. sometimes forget how great everything together can sound

ok hold on, if you have everything running in vsts, can you not tell your daw to render the final result non-realtime? i.e. you should not suffer from any buffer overrun-underrun pops and clicks and neither should you have to record it in several passes because your daw should be smart enough to sort all that out by itself

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Penisface posted:

ok hold on, if you have everything running in vsts, can you not tell your daw to render the final result non-realtime? i.e. you should not suffer from any buffer overrun-underrun pops and clicks and neither should you have to record it in several passes because your daw should be smart enough to sort all that out by itself

i use dorico for music notation and it outputs midi to standalone VSTs that have the sounds loaded. then i record those in to my daw (reaper) to do the final tweaks. i can have reaper run the vsts and capture the midi output from dorico but it tends to do odd things like make notes too short and i haven't spent the time to troubleshoot that. also it's not always happy having 100+ GB of junk running. i can export the dorico midi output and import it in to the daw with all the plugins running, but that just adds another step of having to unload all of the standalone ones and then reload them which can take a bit to do.

i should probably figure out why reaper is cutting notes short etc but it's probably buried in 400 sub menus and i haven't taken the time to investigate it further.

when i switch to using servers to offload them from my main comp i'll just run the server plugin inside reaper and that'll take care of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c m s: fixed my ibanezzzzzzzzz

quote:

holy poo poo i fixed it. so when i was a kid that black wire from pin 7 (counting from left) of the switch in my diagram broke, and I didn't know poo poo so I soldered the white of the middle pickup to pin 7. That's when it stopped working in mid position and didnt do anything in 2/4. Relocated the white lead from the mid to ground and added a jumper to pin 7

i had to dig that diagram out of the wayback machine heh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

some HH ibanezes in the 90s had this neat quasi split coil setup where the middle position wired the rear coil of the neck pickup and the front coil of the bridge pickup in parallel (?) to get this really chime-y tone without sacrificing the humbucking and if I end up rewiring my sterling I'm probably going to do that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yes! if i wanted to get one of those 4 pole superswitches i could do that.

The next target is going to be my ancient 80s shred machine that somebody hit with car paint. No idea who made it. Set neck (might actually be a neck-through), EMG HSS pickups, 3 toggle switches. Sadly the metal on the bridge is fatigued so it can't whammy, and i have not been successful in ID'ing the make of the bridge to see if I can even find one, so I may take it to a luthier and have them block out the cavity so I can just install a stoptail (i dont care about trem bridges). it'd of course need a repaint but that's not that big of a deal at all considering the lovely finish it has rn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mail call

might install these tonite

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
i never learned much about pickups but the ones with blades always look sick as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can get humbucker sized pickups that are two mini humbuckers globbed together

and you can get a guitar routed for 3 of these

i'd have to name it Gillette or something lol

also, after i get my existing guitars cleaned up and working right, i might build this

https://www.badcatinstruments.com/gbk/new-6-string-guitar-kit-zebrawood-solid-body-lp-style-electric-guitar-builder-kit-chrome-hardwares

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i use dorico for music notation and it outputs midi to standalone VSTs that have the sounds loaded. then i record those in to my daw (reaper) to do the final tweaks. i can have reaper run the vsts and capture the midi output from dorico but it tends to do odd things like make notes too short and i haven't spent the time to troubleshoot that. also it's not always happy having 100+ GB of junk running. i can export the dorico midi output and import it in to the daw with all the plugins running, but that just adds another step of having to unload all of the standalone ones and then reload them which can take a bit to do.

i should probably figure out why reaper is cutting notes short etc but it's probably buried in 400 sub menus and i haven't taken the time to investigate it further.

when i switch to using servers to offload them from my main comp i'll just run the server plugin inside reaper and that'll take care of that

you can get something like a midi monitor (macos application) to see what sort of messages reaper is dropping or not receiving. usually reaper is good enough to record and replay even sysex messages which are usually the most advanced part of the MIDI spec

the root cause of short midi notes could be that something is dropping the sustain pedal events or you have something send the same note twice on the same port/channel - this causes the first note's noteoff event kill off the second note way too early

my 2 cents is that spending some time to understand your regular project template setup and the nuts and bolts of it will pay you back in no time, less headaches and you get to focus on the stuff that you like - making the music

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you can get humbucker sized pickups that are two mini humbuckers globbed together

and you can get a guitar routed for 3 of these

i'd have to name it Gillette or something lol

also, after i get my existing guitars cleaned up and working right, i might build this

https://www.badcatinstruments.com/gbk/new-6-string-guitar-kit-zebrawood-solid-body-lp-style-electric-guitar-builder-kit-chrome-hardwares

just dreaming up a single pickup with dozen elements that spans from the bridge to the neck but has digital controls that enables indefinite amount of combinations of tappings etc

no but seriously I find it so intriguing how much can be altered to create different sounds thru changing what seems like a relatively limited number of factors/components

in the past week since we’ve been talking about this I’ve looked up and discovered all sorts of modern pickups that are meant to be all sorts of amazing.

I am very tempted to take mine to a pro to a) do regular guitar adjustments because I’ve never had that done and not even sure what a poorly set up guitar might be like and b) fix the pickup wiring because I also don’t know if the wrong wiring that it has currently has a meaningful impact

at my gfs I don’t have a synth or keyboard but I do have my acoustic and I’ve thought it’s a good opportunity to progress guitar skills somewhat. as much as I love the sounds I get out of my synth, there’s something very nice about playing wish you were here too (and that’s significantly more popular with other people)

I make a lot of synth patches that are very simple, just couple saw waves an octave out for example, apply a few things to bring a bit of movement in, keep the filter open, and over time get used to and very enjoy the sound of saws and squares. i’m not sure the general public feels the same way lol

last time i tripped at home I was so enthralled by sounds I had made with boatloads of resonance that ended sound so “electrical”, as in the sounds of AC current or other things I don’t know how to describe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my general music idea is that compared to all the recorded music in the world that people have access
to at all times these days, no one in their right mind would listen to my music. why would they? there’s always something better

BUT if my competition isn’t the best music in the world but instead is just the sounds of traffic because I’m playing on a street corner.. well then I might have a chance of bringing something interesting into someone’s life

I am a bit nervous and wary of taking close to 4k gear onto the street to play, it might end up being a deal breaker tbh. I really hope I can find it safe enough. or find insurance

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

people don’t interpret art with a rubric! at least normal people generally don’t. the transitive property doesn’t apply

tangentially related, i like this channel a lot but this video made me think a bunch https://youtu.be/tZ4JSWCIs7g

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idiot guitar project of the day:

threw the new rail pickups into the bass. sounds good, looks better. i call it a win for 23 bucks for the pair

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and yeah with modern switching setups you can do a very wide combination of sounds. some aren't too useful but if you got a guitar with HSH pickups, a 5 way switch and pull pots to do coil splits on your neck and bridge you have like 8 different settings that sound good.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

gorgeous! how do they sound? like, what's the character

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Quite a bit hotter than the stock ones (this is an SX cheapo dealie bob but i still love it), the neck is a little boomier and rounder than the stock one, the bridge is a little more midrangey, exactly what i wanted. been learning the ways of running a jazz bass (hint: you never run both pickups wide open, it turns into mid mud, you alway want to back one or the other off a bit). neck by itself with the tone backed off a little bit is a really good p bass growl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tweezer Reprise posted:

people don’t interpret art with a rubric! at least normal people generally don’t. the transitive property doesn’t apply

what I am basically hoping for is that people will unconsciously have a lower standard for live street music

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4YoXGBoiSg

the top: the jazz, the thunderbird
near that: the p bass

<insert 1000 mile gulf here>

bottom: the rick. holy poo poo that thing sounds like garbage i hate it and its like three thousand dollars

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Jonny 290 posted:

the rick. holy poo poo that thing sounds like garbage i hate it and its like three thousand dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPWGUhEtP0

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my bass guitar is the motorcycle brand

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I kinda want to get a Bass VI, they're rad. also really want to figure out what made John Entwistle sound like a fuckin god it was thunderfingers himself

realistically my next music gear purchase is going to be a proper pedalboard. I bought an EHX OD Glove the other day and now I have a thirst for more pedals to replace my low-end boss multi-effects unit from the early 2000s. no idea how real pedalboards work so it'll be something I need to look up. eventual goal is guitar -> TU-3 -> NS-2 -> any OD pedals -> amp preamp section -> amp fx send -> NS-2 fx loop stage -> chorus -> volume -> delay -> amp fx return. maybe throw that multi-effects in the FX loop as well for specific weird stuff if needed but mostly just in bypass mode

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
it’s also crazy how adjusting pickup height can have a big effect on sound

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh my god im gonna be able to play guitar without either:

1) sitting on the couch and dodging dogs and children
2) sitting in a chair and banging into its arms, the desk, etc

gently caress i might even be able to have all my guitars out at the same time. prob not though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

I kinda want to get a Bass VI, they're rad. also really want to figure out what made John Entwistle sound like a fuckin god it was thunderfingers himself

realistically my next music gear purchase is going to be a proper pedalboard. I bought an EHX OD Glove the other day and now I have a thirst for more pedals to replace my low-end boss multi-effects unit from the early 2000s. no idea how real pedalboards work so it'll be something I need to look up. eventual goal is guitar -> TU-3 -> NS-2 -> any OD pedals -> amp preamp section -> amp fx send -> NS-2 fx loop stage -> chorus -> volume -> delay -> amp fx return. maybe throw that multi-effects in the FX loop as well for specific weird stuff if needed but mostly just in bypass mode

yep that's exactly how you should line it up. all effects can be bucketed into either 'dynamics' (compressors/OD/distortion/eq) or 'time' (delay/reverb/chorus) stuff. the former goes between guitar and preamp stage, latter goes in the fx loop cause if you put a dirty tone on the guitar you don't want to re-distort it on delay echoes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got my girl back

a pristine, fully functional, who-cares-about-the-license-lol install of Cubase 5. i normally wouldnt talk about pir9 stuff and in fact still use my paid Renoise to make beats, but it is so nice to be back into this.

Also, yeah, it just doesn't take any loving CPU. i could do 96 tracks or something ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ryzen is good, and strong, and its my friend