Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

codo27 posted:

needless to say, I cannot, under any circumstances, photoshop

I got you Edit: And now with added credits :eng101:

Tender Bender posted:

I remember reading a really gross interview blurb at the time where someone on the show production was like "Her career hadn't taken off and she was desperate for roles so we knew we could have her do a lot of nudity"

:yikes:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best part is that prob took you like 5 mins

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nah, more like 30 minutes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't notice Harry the first time, and only glanced at the Sam Jackson title and didn't realize the addition to KS. Good work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, fair enough.

I'm just now remembering that Trinity's daughter gets caught up with Quinn, and yeah... that felt completely dumb and bad.

I say all of this having never rewatched one single episode of this show. It and Sons of Anarchy will never be rewatched, I just can't do it.

I literally do not understand how anyone could go through the original series again.

It would break me.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I literally do not understand how anyone could go through the original series again.

It would break me.

I rewatched the first couple of seasons a few times. They were still enjoyable. The first one is legit good, in a pulpy way.

Can't imagine re-watching any other season (let alone the final few).

codo27 posted:

I didn't notice Harry the first time, and only glanced at the Sam Jackson title and didn't realize the addition to KS. Good work.

Thanks. I knew Harry had to be there somehow.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

second season is the best one, just the right amount of pulp (television show the sopranos), until the massive plot contrivance that kills doakes and gets dexter off the hook

so season one wins by default

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've rewatched 1-4 a few times. Usually stop at 2 tho.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Re-watched season 1 a couple of times. It just has so much more going for it than any of the later seasons.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Well that certainly was an episode of Dexter.

Was the photo of Dexter & Harrison placed by Harrison , or was Harrison seconds away from finding it when "Jim" interrupted him with the axe? If the latter then why in the gently caress would you keep something like that Dexter, and why would you leave it in an easily accessible drawer of your main living space?!

Gelf fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 7, 2021

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The old Dexter threads were some of my favorite so I'm excited for this new show for that reason alone.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It’s so hard for me to find time to watch stuff nowadays and there’s so so much stuff to watch. I can’t believe I’m going to use what precious time I have to watch Dexter.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Gelf posted:

Was the photo of Dexter & Harrison placed by Harrison , or was Harrison seconds away from finding it when "Jim" interrupted him with the axe? If the latter then why in the gently caress would you keep something like that Dexter, and why would you leave it in an easily accessible drawer of your main living space?!

3 possible explanations:
  1. Harrison brought the photo so he could place it there as a notice to Dexter but after doing so, kept rifling through his poo poo until he got caught.

2. Dexter spent a decade meticulously constructing an identity that had no connection whatsoever to his life in Miami and also kept a photo directly connecting him to his life in Miami on the top of a stack of papers in a drawer in his main living space where an intruder could easily find it provided that the intruder opened the drawer, rifled around, but did not look at the specific photo they were looking for despite that photo being on the top of the stack of papers.
  3. Gelf posted:

spanky the dolphin posted:

It’s so hard for me to find time to watch stuff nowadays and there’s so so much stuff to watch. I can’t believe I’m going to use what precious time I have to watch Dexter.
The central image of Dante's Inferno is that of Satan frozen in a lake of ice, furiously beating his wings to escape. But it is the wind from his beating wings that freezes the ice which holds him fast. Were he to stop beating his wings, the ice would melt and he would be free.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I'm glad this stupid show is back.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Update title to "So Dexter is back (for New Blood): YOU SHOT MY DEER!"

Gelf posted:

I think it's the latter. The answer is because Dexter is a dumbass.

Also, Dexter Jim said he's worked at that place for about 2 years. So let's say he's been around that town 2-3 years, at least. What has he been doing for the other 7 since Miami?

Regardless, it's been 10 years, and he's dating the chief of police in that town. How in the world hasn't he come across another douchebag before Matt? Is this seriously about a deer?

Vastarien posted:

I'm glad this stupid show is back.

Another classic for the collection

Edit:

Also, how in the world did Harrison track him down? Did he accidently pose for a selfie and tag it with #Dexter #Miami?

Also also, he didn't even make sure Matt had no one with him in the area. Out of practice, I guess.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 7, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons... I... I have no interest in watching this bullshit :negative:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

boy dexter sure seems to be in an inescapable jam this time!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
E: whoops, I think this is the first post to post live impressions unspoilered. I've spoilered them, and also beware of the thread from here on if you haven't seen the first ep.

Episode highlights:
-Dexter learning all the Dark poo poo from a dude doing coke while listening to the sound of his next victim railing coke dude's girlfriend.
-The actual kill scene. Someone posted upthread that the highlight of Dexter was in the very first episode where he's screaming "LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" at the diddlin priest, and it feels like someone on the writing staff actually noticed that Dexter being unhinged is important.

I mean the show's not gonna be good, and I can't wait for Dexter to allow a teenager to move into his cabin while serial killing the rear end in a top hat of the week in the shed right outside, and avoid getting caught in a series of escalating unbelievable close shaves.

So theories for the rest of the season? I'm gonna guess the disappearing girls will culminate in someone finding the body of the girl from the bar, and the police force will have to mobilize to catch the "transient killer" who's going to turn out to be... I'm betting Dexter's gun shop boss.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 8, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was disappointingly boring. They cleaned up a lot of the excesses of later Dexter but didn't put in much new interesting stuff. I can't believe they went without VO for 40 whole minutes! Such self-restraint. And Ghost Deb isn't hanging around to hold exhaustive conversations like Ghost Dad did either.

The only interesting part was when it got super cheesy and Ghost Deb pulled a full bullet (jacket and all!) out of her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So theories for the rest of the season? I'm gonna guess the disappearing girls will culminate in someone finding the body of the girl from the bar, and the police force will have to mobilize to catch the "transient killer" who's going to turn out to be... I'm betting Dexter's gun shop boss.

Maybe they'll dredge his lake for bodies since they're gonna be onto the property from that blood trail.

The lake next to your cabin is the worst loving hiding spot for a body Dexter jesus loving christ what would Ghost Dad say?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Deb's most creative swear was "gently caress". 3/10

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly I thought that the transition to the kill, showing how out of practice he is, and the return to unhinged murderer Dexter was all highly effective. I still dare not hope there be actual consequences but overall this episode had good parts to it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did they mirror the original opening somehow?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dexter is going to agonize over Harrison maybe being the one killing all the women, but it turns out Harrison is just a normal kid that has no interest in killing whatsoever, which will confuse Dexter. Shenanigans will ensue and it will all end with Harrison having to kill Dexter to put him out of his misery. Edit: Also while Dexter's boss is an interesting choice, it's probably just the local rich rear end in a top hat.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Did they mirror the original opening somehow?

Only in the sense that Dexter has a routine we see on screen involving some snow cardio and eating slices of meat early in the morning. No juice.

Unless you mean the "tonight's the night" bit. In which case, not really.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 7, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

itry posted:

Also while Dexter's boss is an interesting choice, it's probably just the local rich rear end in a top hat.

Oh yeah duh, we even had a scene of him being a genial businessman which is Dexter's favorite flag

He's gonna open up to Dexter about his missing son and will have an awkward friendship while Dexter unravels his love of killing homeless girls

sorry I overestimated the show already

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

five minutes in and the cinematography looks a lot nicer than the last three seasons of dexter, but it’s pretty bland

it’s almost like someone watched fargo and thought “yes, this is what prestige tv is. snow.”

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just thinking about Dexter makes me think of better shows, specifically The Shield. I wish there was a rewatch thread or even just some megathread about it still. There was one but I think it's archived now.

gently caress the Shield is so good. So much better than Dexter (not that it takes much). I love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, but The Shield is my #1.

...have you done a rewatch recently? I loved it as it was airing, but when I did a rewatch a couple years ago, for every great scene there was another that made me cringe really hard. It was around the time "prestige TV" was just taking off, and there's a lot of stuff from that era that just didn't age well. Plus after BLM and George Floyd, it's gonna hit a little different watching a show about a dirty cop beating up suspects.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

...have you done a rewatch recently? I loved it as it was airing, but when I did a rewatch a couple years ago, for every great scene there was another that made me cringe really hard. It was around the time "prestige TV" was just taking off, and there's a lot of stuff from that era that just didn't age well. Plus after BLM and George Floyd, it's gonna hit a little different watching a show about a dirty cop beating up suspects.

The way I kind of rationalize it, if I even can, is that it really doesn't do the police any favours, with regards to representation, and if anything, shows how much a piece of poo poo like Derek Chauvin would fit into the barn.

It's still compelling tv in and of itself, but yeah, almost everyone sucks in it. Save for MAYBE Claudette and Dutch.

Sure, maybe from episode to episode, it'll celebrate the strike team, but taking the show as a whole, the strike team and Vic specially, does nothing but ruin everything around them/him. It shows first hand how corruption doesn't pay.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Did this leak or something? I thought it didn't air until evening today.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, the first episode of (almost?) every season was "leaked" back in the day. Unless I'm thinking about another show.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's gonna open up to Dexter about his missing son and will have an awkward friendship while Dexter unravels his love of killing homeless girls

Oh, that sounds horrible. So it will probably happen.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Did this leak or something? I thought it didn't air until evening today.

Showtime has it up for streaming already. I didn’t realize either until I saw all the new posts talking about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The way I kind of rationalize it, if I even can, is that it really doesn't do the police any favours, with regards to representation, and if anything, shows how much a piece of poo poo like Derek Chauvin would fit into the barn.

It's still compelling tv in and of itself, but yeah, almost everyone sucks in it. Save for MAYBE Claudette and Dutch.

Sure, maybe from episode to episode, it'll celebrate the strike team, but taking the show as a whole, the strike team and Vic specially, does nothing but ruin everything around them/him. It shows first hand how corruption doesn't pay.

I’ve said it before but the shield has the problem. That outside the first episode it tends to focus on the strike team being bad people, but actually pretty good cops.

So a lot of the time, the show is just your standard police procedural, with some theft thrown in, or covering up said theft

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve said it before but the shield has the problem. That outside the first episode it tends to focus on the strike team being bad people, but actually pretty good cops.

So a lot of the time, the show is just your standard police procedural, with some theft thrown in, or covering up said theft

Good cops, in that they want to stop civilians from committing murder or gang violence. They're a-ok letting drugs happen on their streets, and even ok with murder on their terms (Armenian Money Train, Margos, probably a hundred other victims).

They close cases. That's the most positive thing I can say about the strike team.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Good cops, in that they want to stop civilians from committing murder or gang violence. They're a-ok letting drugs happen on their streets, and even ok with murder on their terms (Armenian Money Train, Margos, probably a hundred other victims).

They close cases. That's the most positive thing I can say about the strike team.

And that’s treated as mostly a good thing. They stop the really bad guys and genuinely want to stop crime (outside Shane the bad one) like Vic is mostly treated as an honest guy trying to see the big picture that wants to provide for his family.

The Shield has a great pilot and a great finale, but the middle is questionable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

And that’s treated as mostly a good thing. They stop the really bad guys and genuinely want to stop crime (outside Shane the bad one) like Vic is mostly treated as an honest guy trying to see the big picture that wants to provide for his family.

The Shield has a great pilot and a great finale, but the middle is questionable

Fair enough for most of it, but I look at Vic the same way I look at Walter White; horrible things done for maybe a good reason, or at least that's what they tell themselves.

Vic did an unquestionably good thing in helping out Connie, and NOT caring about Julian being gay, but other than that, he's kind of awful.

Ah, look at all this discussion that can come from a show that Kurt Sutter was involved in. A rare thing!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was an interesting first episode. But I want more head people. I want Harry, Debra, Rita, Lundy, Lindy, Laguerta, ANNNHEEEELLLLL, the creepy bald guy, and Doakes. Maybe even Black SUV guy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

It was an interesting first episode. But I want more head people. I want Harry, Debra, Rita, Lundy, Lindy, Laguerta, ANNNHEEEELLLLL, the creepy bald guy, and Doakes. Maybe even Black SUV guy.

Head Dexter please. Maybe the version with the seven heads. Or maybe just a floral shirt wearing miami version. I'm thinking Farscape.

Edit:

itry fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 7, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Like others said, a pretty boring first episode. But at least it wasn't outright terrible so :confuoot:

Ghost Harry is way better than ghost Deb. That could definitely change though if she starts to swear a lot more.

Cojawfee posted:

Please god Doakes. This season will be a terrible failure if Doakes doesn't show up to yell at him.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

All the head ghosts gather around ghost Harry -

"Actually, Dexter, your dark passenger has always been Harry. It's all Harry's fault."

"You're blaming this on bad parenting?"

"No, you are. We're you."

Ghost Harry is suddenly black lake ninja guy and is killing all the other ghosts. He looks directly into the camera/Dexter and swallows him whole. The end.

Edit: After credits scene is trashbag ninja driving out of town. Dexter is in the passenger seat.

itry fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was pretty good, looking forward to seeing how the season progresses.