Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

when the athlon XP came out in fall of 2001, AMD did some kind of road show in a dozen cities where they’d show up at dawn to raffle off 50 combo packs that came with a motherboard and the top tier cpu out of that lineup.

my friends and I went to a parking lot in a park at stupid o’clock, my roommate and I each won

then he and I tried to build the PCs out of them the next weekend. I completely shredded the poo poo out of my hand on roommate’s cheap case, I still have the scar 20 years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i built my computer in grad school i was super annoyed cause there was some kind of oil all over the inside of my case by the pci slots. the computer equivalent of cosmoline or something.

then it turned out that no, i just cut myself on one of the metal bits. being colorblind owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you couldnt build a machine between 98 and 07 and have it boot on first post without a blood sacrifice

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

when the athlon XP came out in fall of 2001, AMD did some kind of road show in a dozen cities where they’d show up at dawn to raffle off 50 combo packs that came with a motherboard and the top tier cpu out of that lineup.

my friends and I went to a parking lot in a park at stupid o’clock, my roommate and I each won

then he and I tried to build the PCs out of them the next weekend. I completely shredded the poo poo out of my hand on roommate’s cheap case, I still have the scar 20 years later

funy tech poo poo: all sorts of things during the winxp era having "XP" in their name. like CD Burner XP. which is still available and getting updates, and still has that hilariously dated and meaningless name

pretty sure back then for a while i had the notion that athlon xp cpus only worked with winxp lol. eventually got an athlon xp 2400+ and ran win2k just fine! (i really should have been running xp at that point, i did at least upgrade when sp2 came out)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

related, amd’s “performance rating” product names. intel was selling out everything else in the name of clock speed, so amd just named their processors with the clock speed of the pentium 4 it was meant to compete with

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no they officially claimed in the fine print it was based on the performance of a 1ghz amd athlon but in reality they heavily implied it was equivalent to the pentium

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jabor posted:

metal parts get smaller when it's cold (like my balls)

Talk about brass monkeys

graph posted:

:george voice: it's shrinkage. shrinkage

It's kind of disappointing that this is going to be some "laughable moment on 1970s sitcom" to our generation(s)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

athlon 64 4000+ 4lyfe

miss when 90nm was bleeding edge

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
2500 Barton with the 512k cache was the bargain.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i had an athlon xp 2400+ and an asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard which was king poo poo top-tier overclocking material tied with abit.

after that i had an athlon 64 1800 an an epox uhhh...8rda something plus deluxe idr, also a highly regarded motherboard for overclocking and poo poo.

i never overclocked once and hardly took advantage of any of the bells and whistles those motherboards had, and both builds i had only half the memory is should have bought :downsbravo:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Pentium processors

you know why they’re called that and not 80586s right? (hint: there’s a reason I said “processors”)

after Intel decided to ditch AMD as a second source, the courts said AMD could still make their own successor parts using their own designs, and even number them equivalently if they were drop-in equivalents—essentially, AMD doesn’t have to license your instruction set, and you can’t trademark a part number (or a portion of one)

so Intel stopped using numbers for marketing and switched to proper names, because they could fully control their use in trade

(and trademarks are adjectives, so you have to say what they apply to, hence Pentium processors)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jonny 290 posted:

you couldnt build a machine between 98 and 07 and have it boot on first post without a blood sacrifice

I still have the 2006 Lian Li case I build my first 'good' PC in, and it was a revelation at the time because some of the inside edges weren't sharp!

It even had a token strip of plastic alongside the PSU so I didn't slice all the spare cables I crammed on top of my disc drive. Luxury!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Other thing I just remembered: killing our T-Bird 1400 family PC when the processor fan died whist I was playing Planetside or some poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember getting in a little late on cd burning, and paying the premium for a plextor drive when (if i remember right) for a brief period of time they were the only brand offering "burn-proof" burners that wouldn't trash the whole burn if the computer couldn't keep up for whatever reason

so no "start the burn and don't touch the mouse and walk away carefully and cross your fingers!" for me! perfect burns every time. :buddy:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the era of non-keyed connectors was a dire one indeed

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

I was in the bathroom when my roommate was putting the CPU and cooler on his box and I didn’t see what he was doing. At the end it wouldn’t POST and we looked at everything, seemed all okay

Also he complained though that putting the cooler on was ridiculously difficult, like it was too tight. I asked him “uh you lifted the lever on the socket before putting the chip in right?”

“what lever”

Anyway it was while helping him tear the machine back down to properly insert the CPU that I cut my hand up. Blood sacrifice was given, computer properly POSTed and booted afterward

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my brother was working on his neighbor's computer and has a bad habit of tipping back in his chair

the case was the style with the big upside down U cover. they'd removed it and it was behind him

he tipped back too far and threw his arm out. like 37 stitches right in the drumstick.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The_Franz posted:

the era of non-keyed connectors was a dire one indeed

the worst connectors by far though were keyed

and i am speaking about Molex 4-pin power.

these mfers caused more bloodshed than any other single component afaik. they required so much torque to get loose and you'd always slam your hand info whatever sharp edges were behind it every single time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the usb3 header connectors can go eat a gently caress. Knock a couple thou off the plug size, you assholes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the big blue ones? yeah those can gently caress off. they never even seem to lock properly

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

worst thing when building old pcs; when the motherboard had the 'misc' pin header block of maybe 10x2 single pins and a diagram where you'd have to connect other single pin-header cables from your peripherals / fans etc, usually once the board was in the case and you were fishing about a 7inch deep case with limiter clearances trying to hook the correct header to the correct pin.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

worst thing when building old pcs; when the motherboard had the 'misc' pin header block of maybe 10x2 single pins and a diagram where you'd have to connect other single pin-header cables from your peripherals / fans etc, usually once the board was in the case and you were fishing about a 7inch deep case with limiter clearances trying to hook the correct header to the correct pin.

and after you close it all up you realized you did it wrong, and rather than rip it out and try again you decide “well turbo button is now the reset button and that’s how it will be”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, absolutely bless whoever invented the q-plug thingies

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

those things would be even better if they had like a foot of wire attached so you could just connect all of your case cables and tuck them away and have a single nice cable going to the motherboard header.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

front panel audio connectors from the case with like 15 different single pin connections

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the fuckin front panel audio connectors that had the ac97 pinout on one block and then with a 1" pigtail, another block with the HDAudio pinout
aldkfjladkjfalkdsjfal;dksjfl;

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
did anyone ever get Cable Select to work on IDE devices instead of master/slave with the flip in the pins between the two drive-side headers on the cable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

holy poo poo this isn't a thing any more?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well color me fuckin retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

and after you close it all up you realized you did it wrong, and rather than rip it out and try again you decide “well turbo button is now the reset button and that’s how it will be”

i plugged in the cable for one of those creative live drive things incorrectly once and it actually incinerated the cable

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

my brother was working on his neighbor's computer and has a bad habit of tipping back in his chair

the case was the style with the big upside down U cover. they'd removed it and it was behind him

he tipped back too far and threw his arm out. like 37 stitches right in the drumstick.

i still have a scar on my back from falling into an open case- wasn't bad enough to go to a hospital but then again it is america so i avoid medical care at all costs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

well color me fuckin retarded

:chloe:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the big blue ones? yeah those can gently caress off. they never even seem to lock properly

big agreed. they should just do an internal thunderbolt port and run all the case front panel poo poo off a TB cable.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The_Franz posted:

i plugged in the cable for one of those creative live drive things incorrectly once and it actually incinerated the cable

I had one of those I got for dirt cheap, man that was a lot of useless i/o

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

ports with locking keys but the ports are facing each orher so you can’t actually disengage the locks if you use both of the ports

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

sata ports facing up but its directly in line with the pcie slot so you can either have a drive or a video card

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the atx and eps connectors on the mobo located below and left of the cpu socket

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and when did we start saving 0.007 per ram socket by only having one end be a latch, and the other's just a plastic hook that doesn't move? I paid a hundred and eighty dollars for that motherboard, what the gently caress

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah but you forgot that gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
our media server is in this because it has the most rgb leds of anything i could find: