Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Quest 2 and I have a couple questions.

My available space to move around in is very limited. So I'm pretty much going to have to stick with seated VR and things that don't require much movement. Is it still worthwhile or will that be very limiting for what I can play?

Do I need to get any particular cable to play PCVR or will any USB A to C cable work fine for that?

With virtual desktop/airlink you can loving VR outside bud! So PCVR can move with you to some extent.

But yeah. its worth it. poo poo like tetris effect, movies, etc can all be worth it. And I find myself playing a lot of things standing pretty still and would easily be able to play them seated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you need to sort your poo poo. 1080 is fine for VR.

It runs well any normal 2d game, 1440p@ultra usually.

What 'for VR' means? Superhot vr? Beat Saber? h3vr? Contractors? Job Simulator? Blade & Sorcery? I can run all that just fine, too. But I can't run Asgard's Wrath at high details, or Lone Echo 2 at medium, or SW Squadrons without heavy reprojection. I also couldn't sustain Subnautica at 90 fps. So any 'highend stuff' from the last year and a half or so starts being problematic with a gtx 1080. The kind of thing I want to do with pc vr, as the the more indie stuff I will play native in the Quest 2.
edit: I play with a bit of supersampling, by the way, 20%. Lots of games are way too aliased otherwise. Again, to have crappy graphics I will play something native on Q2.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

It runs well any normal 2d game, 1440p@ultra usually.

What 'for VR' means? Superhot vr? Beat Saber? h3vr? Contractors? Job Simulator? Blade & Sorcery? I can run all that just fine, too. But I can't run Asgard's Wrath at high details, or Lone Echo 2 at medium, or SW Squadrons without heavy reprojection. I also couldn't sustain Subnautica at 90 fps. So any 'highend stuff' from the last year and a half or so starts being problematic with a gtx 1080. The kind of thing I want to do with pc vr, as the the more indie stuff I will play native in the Quest 2.
edit: I play with a bit of supersampling, by the way, 20%. Lots of games are way too aliased otherwise. Again, to have crappy graphics I will play something native on Q2.

Play with it more. LIV + VR = 2x+ the hardware required. If my 4790 (non K) + 1080 could do 720p LIV + beat saber + all the extra poo poo I ran. Your poo poo can do more too. Hell pre 9900k upgrade when I was on the 8700k I was doing LIV in ultrawide and 1440+ resolutions. And no, I disable all that motion smoothing frame helper bullshit. Makes playing things like beat saber awful.

Yes, Some games, you can't crank up to 11. You couldn't crank those same games up to 11 when the card was new and those games were new. But saying a 1080 isn't good enough lol. come on dude.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn’t know boneworks had a trickshot scene or a Spider-Man mod. Color me doubly impressed.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7026263953122626822

God drat that’s awesome.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jack Trades posted:

Man, Risk of Rain 2 VR mod is great but holy poo poo is performance bad in it.
I can handle Alyx at High settings with stable 90 fps but RoR2 won't give me stable 90 fps even on lowest possible settings. Once you hit that teleporter it's reprojection city.

This is something recent, because I've been noticing it too. It used to be flawless 90 and I've noticed in getting in the 80s, even after turning shadows off completely can make a difference but even then it's still choppy.

I downloaded a stutter prevention mod I'm going to try later. but it's strange

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EbolaIvory posted:

Play with it more. LIV + VR = 2x+ the hardware required. If my 4790 (non K) + 1080 could do 720p LIV + beat saber + all the extra poo poo I ran. Your poo poo can do more too. Hell pre 9900k upgrade when I was on the 8700k I was doing LIV in ultrawide and 1440+ resolutions. And no, I disable all that motion smoothing frame helper bullshit. Makes playing things like beat saber awful.

Yes, Some games, you can't crank up to 11. You couldn't crank those same games up to 11 when the card was new and those games were new. But saying a 1080 isn't good enough lol. come on dude.

It's not enough to crank everything up, is the point.

I mean I played a fair bit of VR on GTX 1050 and about 60% of things are fully playable too, some even on high.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
My PC and router are at opposite ends of the house, is Ethernet-over-Power between PC and router an improvement over wifi-only Airlink? I assume so but I've also been out of the networking game for a long time.

Wireless only on a recent beefy PC I can play alyx pretty flawlessly but some games that are more input sensitive like Until you Fall have some occasional poor performance.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If you have a powerline kit there's no reason not to try. I've installed it in a newer and older house and the older house had a more stable connection. If you don't have the gigabit one just wait for a sale and return it if it isn't an improvement

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Metos posted:

My PC and router are at opposite ends of the house, is Ethernet-over-Power between PC and router an improvement over wifi-only Airlink? I assume so but I've also been out of the networking game for a long time.

Wireless only on a recent beefy PC I can play alyx pretty flawlessly but some games that are more input sensitive like Until you Fall have some occasional poor performance.

If EoP doesn’t work out for you (I had big problems due to possibly lovely wiring) I found great success with a netgear Orbi mesh wifi system with the PC wired directly into the mesh satellite.

Granted it is an expensive option but if nothing else works there’s that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The TP Link Deco mesh comes with two satellites and is usually $150 or less.

I'm currently using old TPL powerline nodes that suck poo poo (30 MBPs tops) because my house is old as balls.

Gonna switch over to mesh in a month or two.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Quest 2 and I have a couple questions.

My available space to move around in is very limited. So I'm pretty much going to have to stick with seated VR and things that don't require much movement. Is it still worthwhile or will that be very limiting for what I can play?

Do I need to get any particular cable to play PCVR or will any USB A to C cable work fine for that?

Due to health issues, I have to play a lot of seated VR, far more than standing, and I think its absolutely worth it.

If you can extend your arms fully, like, 270 degrees around you, then I would say you can play most VR games at a level which is still really rad and worth it. Even actiony games like Sairento, where you play as a futuristic Ninja, or some physics games like Boneworks, plays perfectly well seated.

You do lose something only playing seated, for sure. But often (in single player games anyway) it's not much more than some immersion. Sometimes, like in HL:Alyx, or Phasmophobia, losing that does kind of suck, but sometimes, like in Skyrim VR, or The Climb, it doesn't really matter at all.

As for your other question, they pushed an update that makes it so any usb that transfers data ~can work~ but I tried it with a lovely USB for kicks and it was absolutely atrocious. Frame rate sucked, colours were blocky and washed out, etc. Unplayable.

To be safe, you should get a usb 3.0 or higher, make sure the cable length is longer than you think you need and check the cable has lots of positive reviews and you should be good. Or, go all out with a dedicated 5ghz wifi 6 set up if you want to ditch the cable (highly recommended but not necessary.)

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I had absolutely hands down the most terrifying moment of my VR life last night, I legit thought I was going to die, and it was in Walkabout Mini Golf of all things.

Had been playing with some friends for a while, and I guess I drifted off center in my space. At one point, I stepped sideways to move out of the way, and it happened that my foot planted exactly next to the edge of my rug, so I could feel the edge and that it ended but I couldn’t feel anything beyond that. By happenstance, we were playing seagull stacks and right where that lip was, a cliff dropped off.

I’ve never experienced something so visceral in VR in my life. I’ve done the plank experience, the actual sense of hitting the ground going into your legs is something I’m familiar with. This was so far beyond that. My brain bought it hook, line, and sinker. I had to sit down on the floor and break for a minute as I caught my breath from adrenaline and laughing. That was so wild.

Even in VR a part of my brain was immediately screaming, “but we’re in the basement on the floor, this isn’t real”, but at the same time, a much louder part of my brain declared “NOPE THERE IS A CHASM IN THE CEMENT SLAB HERE NOW AND OH YOU CAN’T SEE THE REAL CHASM BECAUSE YOU HAVE THIS HEAD SET ON SHOWING US THE FAKE CHASM, YOU BUFOON, YOU’VE DOOMED US ALL” and then I died

Last year when playing Phasmophobia a lot I had to take a break after I heard some sounds while trying to find the ghost but couldn't quite place it. As I was straining to hear better the ghost hissed behind me and I suddenly felt a rush of cold air on my neck. The AC unit in the window nearby had kicked on right at the same time as all of that. Even though I'm generally not scared by stuff and absolutely don't believe in ghosts, my body was flooded by adrenaline and the need to run after the initial terror induced sensory overload paralysis.

Another time, my nephew was trying out Face your Fears where you're sitting in a bed as a scary thing moves around the room. Right when the scary thing appeared from under the bed my cat brushed up against his leg. It was another perfect alignment of things to push the VR experience an extra bit further.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone bought Ancient Dungeons? I wonder about the differences between the old free beta and this new paid version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VRChat is getting more and more popular

It's getting closer and closer to 'non-VR' popular games.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

VRChat is getting more and more popular

It's getting closer and closer to 'non-VR' popular games.

VRChat is a non-VR popular game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
VR chat is a game where you can dance with Hatsune Miku so I can understand why that is

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

VRChat is a non-VR popular game.

Oh it also had a non-VR compatibility, like Rec Roomt? Jeez I had forgotten about that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Custom Synth Riders song question:

On Quest 2, I added a bunch of custom songs with NoodleManager and while Synth Riders shows the big total number in the "loading custom songs" screen when I start it up, when I go to play and go to custom songs it only shows 40 of them total? (Like 8 page downs with 5 songs each). Is that normal? Any workaround? Sorry if this has been answered before I couldn't find anything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a good general walkthrough of creating and rigging VRC avatars or creating worlds? I poke at it every so often but most stuff I’ve found so far centers around 2hu and other anime depravity that had 4 dozen bones and models all manner of face insanity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Is there a good general walkthrough of creating and rigging VRC avatars or creating worlds? I poke at it every so often but most stuff I’ve found so far centers around 2hu and other anime depravity that had 4 dozen bones and models all manner of face insanity.

I can tell you the basics for turning a model into a 3.0 avatar or making a world. PM with questions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

explosivo posted:

I looked into Wabbajack which is supposedly easier and the install instructions using that were still like 15 pages long so I just gave up :(

99% of Wabbajack "install instructions" can be reduced to "find a modlist you want, install it using whatever paths you like*, wait several hours for the downloads to finish and several more for everything to extract and install, navigate to the folder where everything's installed and find a folder called like "Game Folder Files" or whatever and copy the contents of that folder to your root directory of SkyrimVR, launch the ModOrganizer link in the unique folder created by Wabbajack, tweak modlist to taste (there'll usually be a list of optional mods to comb through, DO NOT gently caress WITH THE ONES ALREADY CHECKED OFF), launch game via SKSE" And that's mostly it apart from also tweaking SkyrimVR's performance settings and figuring out what the mods you have installed actually do or how to activate them.

*and you'd better have Nexus Premium. You can just immediately cancel the recurring fee.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

The TP Link Deco mesh comes with two satellites and is usually $150 or less.

I'm currently using old TPL powerline nodes that suck poo poo (30 MBPs tops) because my house is old as balls.

Gonna switch over to mesh in a month or two.

https://nexuslinkusa.com/product/wb-1750-kit/

I have those. They work pretty well.

Full disclosure. We work with them so I did get mine free.

qtpop15 for 15% off. I get no money, its literally for tracking purposes and thats it. We just do stuff with them regularly so we have a few codes that exist.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

explosivo posted:

I looked into Wabbajack which is supposedly easier and the install instructions using that were still like 15 pages long so I just gave up :(

they're really not as bad as they seem. 90% of it is just waiting for mods to download (i'd recommend getting nexus premium and instantly cancelling it like vidiot said)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

playing modded skyrim is worth a lot of trouble

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Just tried VR for the first time and holy poo poo the sense of scale is incredible. Given that I had a mild scare in the Lab demo seeing a life size Atlas and Glados, I'll probably have a heart attack playing Alyx.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

Just tried VR for the first time and holy poo poo the sense of scale is incredible. Given that I had a mild scare in the Lab demo seeing a life size Atlas and Glados, I'll probably have a heart attack playing Alyx.

Go to VR chat next :sickos:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Leal posted:

Go to VR chat next :sickos:

You just can't appreciate how big horse dick is until it's clipping through your face.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walking Dead Saints & Sinners ok

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You just can't appreciate how big horse dick is until it's clipping through your face.

Celebrate the metaverse with a new thread title

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly the thing that really shocked me with it’s scale was Minecraft. I logged into a friends server that was already fully built up and it’s just enormous. I felt like such an idiot oohing and ahhing at everything because my friends were all in flatscreen and it wasn’t nearly the same experience for them but the world and it’s structures were shockingly huge.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly the thing that really shocked me with it’s scale was Minecraft. I logged into a friends server that was already fully built up and it’s just enormous. I felt like such an idiot oohing and ahhing at everything because my friends were all in flatscreen and it wasn’t nearly the same experience for them but the world and it’s structures were shockingly huge.

Minecraft cubes are like a meter in size, poo poo's real big

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are there any good roomscale music games out of curiosity? Everything seems to just be of the "track coming at you" variety.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Are there any good roomscale music games out of curiosity? Everything seems to just be of the "track coming at you" variety.

Not really. Custom stuff in audica/saber/synth is really the best bet right now. But you'll still mostly be playing center room while just turning around.

Theres 360 maps and spiral poo poo in synth/bs by default but if you've already tried those you know what you're in for in customer mostly too.

Spiral "Kind" of changes thing and moves you out of dead center but im not a fan personally. feels weird.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

marumaru posted:

they're really not as bad as they seem. 90% of it is just waiting for mods to download (i'd recommend getting nexus premium and instantly cancelling it like vidiot said)

The readme for VR Essentials Wabbajack list is literally 28 pages of instructions long lol

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 8, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

EbolaIvory posted:

Spiral "Kind" of changes thing and moves you out of dead center but im not a fan personally. feels weird.

Do you really have to "move" out of the center in that mode? I just plant my feet wider than normal Synth Riders and then lean left or right by bending one knee or the other.

The only thing I don't like about that mode is that you can't dance with the rest of your body, you're stuck basically planted in place or else you're going to spin the platform when you don't want. Or falling on your rear end when you inevitably lose your balance.

Alctel posted:

The readme for VR Essentials Wabbajack list is literally 28 pages of instructions long lol

I installed it using only the first like four pages, they're the only pages you need. I assume the rest is just telling you about the mods, and I didn't even look at them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Do you really have to "move" out of the center in that mode? I just plant my feet wider than normal Synth Riders and then lean left or right by bending one knee or the other.

The only thing I don't like about that mode is that you can't dance with the rest of your body, you're stuck basically planted in place or else you're going to spin the platform when you don't want. Or falling on your rear end when you inevitably lose your balance.

I installed it using only the first like four pages, they're the only pages you need. I assume the rest is just telling you about the mods, and I didn't even look at them.

Yeah basically your head kinda has to stay over the "arrows" on the ground. So you do have to move from center a bit. I still manage to "lean" most of it, but if you're actually wanting to move around itll do it to some extent.

But thats kinda my issue with that specific mode. I can't "dance". The other 360 poo poo I can but that? Naw, its forcing your head to be in certain places so you're kinda hamstrung depending on the motion.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

VR No Mans Sky > VR Skyrim

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Metos posted:

One information missing from this, is where are you using the Quest. Is it near the computer or some other place in the house? One simple and not too expensive solution is to get a dedicated wireless access point/router wire it to the computer.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

If you want a quest/hololens but hate facebook/low fov then you have 17 hours to back the Lynx kickstarter for a cool hundo discount. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stanlarroque/lynx/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm still waffling on that one, it looks great compared to everything currently on the market but I feel like what we've seen in Deckard speculation would completely replace it for me.

Assuming Valve doesn't just quietly abandon the project before it sees the light of day, which I'm not placing any bets about.