Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

For some reason, the same night that it was announced he'd be working with Frank Miller on DK3, I decided I wanted to talk to Azzarello about Wonder Woman at the hotel bar. He said they were pretty much entirely hands off, and that he could have done more with the New Gods, but he wanted to keep things focused on the gods of the Greek variety.

He described his involvement with Future State as "Don't take a call from Dan Didio at 3:00 AM."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
For WW adjacent stuff you could find on the shelf right now, I really liked Vita Ayala's first issue of Nubia & the Amazons.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There was a WW story from a few years back that's out of continuity that I really liked. Post apocalyptic times, and Wonder Woman is just woken up from a cryo-sleep tube by some scavengers. She wakes to a world overrun by Carpenter-esque, "thing"-like monsters. Can't remember the title, but I thought there were some really great Diana moments.

Completely different subject, and probably not a small question, but a thought just entered my head earlier and I cannot get rid of it. Action Comics #1, the first appearance of Superman is (still?) the most expensive comic you could buy/own as a collector. First appearance of Batman, Spider-man, Hulk, etc, all also generally get top dollar. I understand that comics from that era are rare, now, and that bestows a certain level of value to them. Sure. But why are first appearances so collectable? Along those same lines, why is a rookie card for sports stars so desirable? What is it about first comic appearances that carry so much weight, when pretty often, it's not a great version of that character?

Maybe this is obvious to other people, but something about it just gives me pause.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First/rookie used to not have large print runs because nobody knew they would be any good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

There was a WW story from a few years back that's out of continuity that I really liked. Post apocalyptic times, and Wonder Woman is just woken up from a cryo-sleep tube by some scavengers. She wakes to a world overrun by Carpenter-esque, "thing"-like monsters. Can't remember the title, but I thought there were some really great Diana moments.

This was “Dead Earth”, by Daniel Warren Johnson. I bought it entirely for his artwork. I don’t subscribe to anything DC, and never read a Wonder Woman solo series before, but got this one because it looked amazing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DWJ drew the hell out of that comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CzarChasm posted:

Completely different subject, and probably not a small question, but a thought just entered my head earlier and I cannot get rid of it. Action Comics #1, the first appearance of Superman is (still?) the most expensive comic you could buy/own as a collector. First appearance of Batman, Spider-man, Hulk, etc, all also generally get top dollar. I understand that comics from that era are rare, now, and that bestows a certain level of value to them. Sure. But why are first appearances so collectable? Along those same lines, why is a rookie card for sports stars so desirable? What is it about first comic appearances that carry so much weight, when pretty often, it's not a great version of that character?

Maybe this is obvious to other people, but something about it just gives me pause.

Because they are rare and people want them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IUG posted:

This was “Dead Earth”, by Daniel Warren Johnson.
This was the one where SPOILERSSSS The Amazons get gassed to death and Superman failed to stop it so Diana pulls out his spine and at the end of the series she's using the indestructible Superspine as a mace right because :doh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The guy wrote the incredible Murder Falcon right before WW:DE, so that thing didn’t even make me blink.

(Read Murder Falcon, everyone. It’s only 6 issues. )

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FilthyImp posted:

This was the one where SPOILERSSSS The Amazons get gassed to death and Superman failed to stop it so Diana pulls out his spine and at the end of the series she's using the indestructible Superspine as a mace right because :doh:

IIRC, it's a little different than that A poison gas is turning people into horrible monsters. It might have started on Themyscara. Diana goes to fight the monsters. The world Government want to use nukes to stop the gas threat. Superman can't or won't stop the nukes. WW goes super saiyan because her bracelets get taken off or destroyed and she punches a hole into superman's chest, killing him. This is the part where she gets put to sleep by Bruce, just before he dies. And because of the rage, Diana doesn't remember what happened or how she got there. After regaining her strength, she goes to the fortress where Superman died, realizes she killed him, and she then rips out his spine and skull like a Mortal Kombat fatality, and lashes it together using the lasso of truth, making the most metal weapon I've seen in a comic in quite a while. It's a wonder woman story by way of Nathan Explosion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CzarChasm posted:

It's a wonder woman story by way of Nathan Explosion.
Lol that's so dumb it wrapped back to half awesome.

I remember it not getting too much traction, but I felt like it was wedged somewhere between DCeased and the Last Knight Batman story.

Just a whole lot of burnout for dark and post-apoc poo poo.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Just a whole lot of burnout for dark and post-apoc poo poo.

Does someone at DC have a thing for dark post-apoc/grim-dark future/heroes turn evil stories? It seems like DC does this stuff way more than Marvel. Like didn't the DTV animated universe end with a dark apocalyptic story where the heroes lose so bad Flash has to reboot the universe...again?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MH Knights posted:

Does someone at DC have a thing for dark post-apoc/grim-dark future/heroes turn evil stories?
Oh man, yeah. The DTV Animated poo poo ended super dark. Snyder's JL had Flash reset time and would have done it a second time to prevent Anti-Life Superman. And the less we say about New 52: Future's End the better.

Honestly I think part of it is the DNA left over from Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC, it's a little different than that A poison gas is turning people into horrible monsters. It might have started on Themyscara. Diana goes to fight the monsters. The world Government want to use nukes to stop the gas threat. Superman can't or won't stop the nukes. WW goes super saiyan because her bracelets get taken off or destroyed and she punches a hole into superman's chest, killing him. This is the part where she gets put to sleep by Bruce, just before he dies. And because of the rage, Diana doesn't remember what happened or how she got there. After regaining her strength, she goes to the fortress where Superman died, realizes she killed him, and she then rips out his spine and skull like a Mortal Kombat fatality, and lashes it together using the lasso of truth, making the most metal weapon I've seen in a comic in quite a while. It's a wonder woman story by way of Nathan Explosion.

Isn't it that The nukes don't work/get stopped, but WW and Superman fighting across the world kicks up Nuclear winter and that's what actually causes the apocalypse?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MH Knights posted:

Does someone at DC have a thing for dark post-apoc/grim-dark future/heroes turn evil stories? It seems like DC does this stuff way more than Marvel. Like didn't the DTV animated universe end with a dark apocalyptic story where the heroes lose so bad Flash has to reboot the universe...again?
they think it's mature storytelling.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Does someone at DC have a thing for dark post-apoc/grim-dark future/heroes turn evil stories?

Isn’t the label that it came out on literally called “DC Black”?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MH Knights posted:

DC has spent 50 years reacting to the silver age and trying to prove that their stories about a man who dresses like a bat are very serious.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like it's less Crisis on Infinite Earths specifically and that DC has had baked into its comics for the majority of its run (going back to the 1950s) alternate Earths, "imaginary stories", Elseworlds, Futures End, Future State, etc. etc.

Not to say Marvel and pop culture in general hasn't caught up in terms of sheer volume (Days of Future Past just turned 40 a few weeks ago!), but Silver Age DC was chock full of them, and it was sort of cemented into "a way to tell Important Stories" in the mid-1980s, but less with Crisis and more with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

The fact that they've been trying to directly or indirectly recreate that for 35 years with generally diminishing returns doesn't seem to bother anyone, especially since a lot of those stories do pretty well sales-wise.

IUG posted:

Isn’t the label that it came out on literally called “DC Black”?
It's DC Black Label, and it's meant to be more "mature" but that runs the gamut from post-apocalyptic stories to Tom King miniseries to Three Jokers to The Other History of the DC Universe to an R-Rated version of Conner/Palmiotti's Harley Quinn comedy book.

Retroactively they're shoving anything from their old dead imprints into "Black Label", everything from dystopian futures (DMZ, V for Vendetta) to generally dark superhero fare (Arkham Asylum, the Longbow Hunters) to like... New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Ex Machina, Watchmen, Daytripper, any any other old Vertigo books worth keeping in print like Preacher, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This one makes me sad for some reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I got the first two of those big Sandman omnibuses and they have Vertigo on the spine, will the third one have Black Label on it instead if I buy if new? I don’t care about publisher imprint loyalty, but non-matching spines upset me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If I got the first two of those big Sandman omnibuses and they have Vertigo on the spine, will the third one have Black Label on it instead if I buy if new? I don’t care about publisher imprint loyalty, but non-matching spines upset me.

The version of Sandman omni 3 I saw at my LCS still had the Vertigo logo on the spine, for what it's worth.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 5, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

All this talk of "dark and gritty" comics. has there ever been a What If..? or an Elseworld which has shown a Utopian/perfect world?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

All this talk of "dark and gritty" comics. has there ever been a What If..? or an Elseworld which has shown a Utopian/perfect world?

Utopias don't have conflict so they make for lousy stories. Even Thomas More's was just a long essay.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Utopias don't have conflict so they make for lousy stories. Even Thomas More's was just a long essay.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a series of it, I was more thinking a short What If..? or something like that. Have Galactus come to Earth to distribute presents because Reed designed a machine which means he can feed without destroying planets. Doc Ock a celebrated children's science teacher etc...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Random Stranger posted:

What if the 616 became a utopia... After Spider-Man died

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

What if the 616 became a utopia... After Spider-Man died

Writer: J. Jonah Jameson
Penciler: J. Jonah Jameson
Inker: J. Jonah Jameson
Colorist: J. Jonah Jameson
Letterer: Robbie Robertson
Editor: J. Jonah Jameson
Editor in Chief: J. Jonah Jameson

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:hmmyes:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bessantj posted:

Utopian world stories have the problem where, typically, they're great for a segment of the pop.

Multiversity's The Just was pretty cushy for the planet but the superbrats were just listless and without purpose. And Red Son arguably ushers in a utopia with help of the Brainiacs but, yeah...

VvV
Good point. There's never been a Star Trek: San Francisco because all our problems on earth are solved and life is boring.

All the hosed up people go to space for excitement

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 7, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Utopian settings are pointless if you want to tell a story, because there’s no possibility for conflict if they’re truly utopian. Attempts at utopia that fall apart or don’t work right are about as close as you can get. Miracleman probably would have ended up there if the publisher hadn’t gone out of business or if Marvel had paid Gaiman the right amount to finish it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

JordanKai posted:

DWJ drew the hell out of that comic.

he also did a Beta Ray Bill miniseries for Marvel earlier this year, just gorgeous stuff

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nowhere can be a true utopia. That's why they're called utopias.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Agent Smith was right. Humans are unwilling to accept utopia even in fiction because they crave violence

site fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 7, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You usually only see a utopia once the plot is over like with the end of Red Son.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's been awhile, but I believe that a big chunk of Fabian Nicieza's Cable and Deadpool involves Cable building a utopia and other people coming in and ruining it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cable fighting in his utopia sounds like a great utopia for Cable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

It's been awhile, but I believe that a big chunk of Fabian Nicieza's Cable and Deadpool involves Cable building a utopia and other people coming in and ruining it.

I remember there being a great scene with him and Fury where Cable says something to the effect of "You're telling them all you have to stop me because you're afraid I'm lying and have some terrible ulterior motive. But I can read your mind, and I know the truth: You have to stop me because you're afraid I'm not."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Utopian settings are pointless if you want to tell a story, because there’s no possibility for conflict if they’re truly utopian. Attempts at utopia that fall apart or don’t work right are about as close as you can get. Miracleman probably would have ended up there if the publisher hadn’t gone out of business or if Marvel had paid Gaiman the right amount to finish it.

I don't buy that all interesting stories have to revolve around conflict (or that utopias are necessarily conflict-free, depending on how broadly you define "conflict"), but stories based around conflict, especially violent conflict, are probably easier pitches at the Big Two.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

Agent Smith was right. Humans are unwilling to accept utopia even in fiction because they crave violence

That’s ridiculous. I crave chicken nuggets, not violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s ridiculous. I crave chicken nuggets, not violence

:awesomelon: Humans cannot accept Utopia because all they crave is violence to the chicken