Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If anything I'd say it's Scoob & Shag but with less JoJo in the mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyq-bnLoBs

Action League NOW!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I will never forget Meltman! With the power to....... MELT!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Oh gently caress, I remember Anemia & Iodine; I was always hoping for another episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If any of you like Scooby Doo, here's an hour-long video digging into its characters throughout all the movies and shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0vB4Lm1Tk

Also a theory about how James Gunn purposefully assassinated Scrappy Doo, because you'd have to be somewhere around at least 40 years old to have strong feelings about the introduction of Scrappy Doo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

If any of you like Scooby Doo, here's an hour-long video digging into its characters throughout all the movies and shows.

Also a theory about how James Gunn purposefully assassinated Scrappy Doo, because you'd have to be somewhere around at least 40 years old to have strong feelings about the introduction of Scrappy Doo.

I was just thinking about Scrappy-Doo, wasn't it true that he actually did save the Scooby franchise from dying out but people hate him anyway. I actually like Scrappy. :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Somebody once explained Scrappy-Doo and people's reactions to him by pointing out that Scrappy is always right but he's poisonous to the show's basic story engine because he refuses to participate in it and has to be continually restrained from destroying the plot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Part of why people hate him is that he heralded a shift to stories that were just him, Shaggy, and Scooby, as if the team-ups with Mama Cass and Jonathan Winters hadn’t already ruined the classic formula.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

Somebody once explained Scrappy-Doo and people's reactions to him by pointing out that Scrappy is always right but he's poisonous to the show's basic story engine because he refuses to participate in it and has to be continually restrained from destroying the plot.

Yeah, he's not allowed to actually do anything useful, he's just loud and disruptive. A very common theme in kids shows where some suit decides the show needs a Poochie and shoves them in with no regard for how they actually fit into the formula or contribute to the story.

Like, Daphne ends up being more of the action hero that Scrappy tries to me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Part of why people hate him is that he heralded a shift to stories that were just him, Shaggy, and Scooby, as if the team-ups with Mama Cass and Jonathan Winters hadn’t already ruined the classic formula.

Don Knotts as a permanent member of Mystery Inc would be way better than Scrappy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“No, Tyler, I will not clown face you!”

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, he's not allowed to actually do anything useful, he's just loud and disruptive.

I don't remember what the URL was, but I actually read the blog of the guy who helped write the first episode with Scrappy Doo in it. Him and Joe Barbera apparently had the idea of making Scrappy more like the chicken hawk from Foghorn Leghorn but standards & practices thought a character actually attacking the monsters or whatever would be a bad influence on kids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the big jokes Scrappy Doo had going was that often his confidence was totally misplaced because he's a tiny dog who thinks he can do way more than he could, so half the time they had to save him. Which I guess is a more organic way of forcing the cowardly Scooby and Shaggy into danger rather than the original formula of the rest of the gang just kinda being insane about investigating mysteries and ignorant of their friends' feelings. That's part of what made the parody in Venture Brothers work so well with Fred being the insane force driving them forward. The plot pretty much requires that the gang somehow be driven into situations they have no business being in and no normal person would get into.

Although another reason Scrappy lacks depth is that he only really had the one incarnation, and when the franchise moved on to get renewed into new series, nobody wanted to bring him back except for when the movie shat all over him. Fred and Daphne got to develop their own weird obsessions and hobbies, Velma found a few different angles to be "the smart one", and Shaggy and Scooby got varying levels of cowardly, useful, and loyalty to their friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky Valentine posted:

Don Knotts as a permanent member of Mystery Inc would be way better than Scrappy.

Or Johnny Bravo.

One funny thing about the Scooby Doo cast is their formula really does lend itself to temporary guest stars. They manage to work pretty well with anyone from Batman to John Cena.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

So weird that Captain Janeaway is considered a draw for a contemporary pre-teen audience.

Catching up on the last few pages, but from what I've seen said by the writers, it seems like they came up with the basic premise first, of "Kids escaping from a bad situation off in the distant parts of the galaxy by discovering an abandoned Federation ship and then the AI hologram aboard helps them run in and teaches them how to be good Star Trekkers and all the lessons you want to teach kids in these shows". That gives them a setup for kids galavanting around in a ship without Federation Child Services coming to pick them up. And then with that they went 'hey maybe we can get an existing character to be the hologram', but if they hadn't been able to get anyone the show would still be largely the same.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the big jokes Scrappy Doo had going was that often his confidence was totally misplaced because he's a tiny dog who thinks he can do way more than he could, so half the time they had to save him. Which I guess is a more organic way of forcing the cowardly Scooby and Shaggy into danger rather than the original formula of the rest of the gang just kinda being insane about investigating mysteries and ignorant of their friends' feelings. That's part of what made the parody in Venture Brothers work so well with Fred being the insane force driving them forward. The plot pretty much requires that the gang somehow be driven into situations they have no business being in and no normal person would get into.

Although another reason Scrappy lacks depth is that he only really had the one incarnation, and when the franchise moved on to get renewed into new series, nobody wanted to bring him back except for when the movie shat all over him. Fred and Daphne got to develop their own weird obsessions and hobbies, Velma found a few different angles to be "the smart one", and Shaggy and Scooby got varying levels of cowardly, useful, and loyalty to their friends.

Come to think of it, has Scrappy even appeared in anything past the first live action movie? I don’t watch a lot of Scooby Doo to be honest

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 7, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has Scrappy even appeared in anything past the first live action movie?

Mentioned as a throwaway gag in Mystery Inc?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 7, 2021

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Speaking of Mystery, Inc., I thought I'd read that Red Herring appeared somewhere as an easter egg but after watching through I didn't manage to spot him--anyone happen to know which ep that'd be?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MikeJF posted:

Catching up on the last few pages, but from what I've seen said by the writers, it seems like they came up with the basic premise first, of "Kids escaping from a bad situation off in the distant parts of the galaxy by discovering an abandoned Federation ship and then the AI hologram aboard helps them run in and teaches them how to be good Star Trekkers and all the lessons you want to teach kids in these shows". That gives them a setup for kids galavanting around in a ship without Federation Child Services coming to pick them up. And then with that they went 'hey maybe we can get an existing character to be the hologram', but if they hadn't been able to get anyone the show would still be largely the same.

I mean, it worked when they called it Space Cases, which was my favorite show when I was eight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Trebuchet King posted:

Speaking of Mystery, Inc., I thought I'd read that Red Herring appeared somewhere as an easter egg but after watching through I didn't manage to spot him--anyone happen to know which ep that'd be?

It's an extremely brief cameo and he's both aged up and not wearing his usual outfit and is a silent cameo too so extremely easy to miss and pretty pointless as these go too

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Gaunab posted:

Did anyone watch Maya and the Three? I'm almost finished with it now and it's pretty decent. The character designs are interesting and the voice cast is pretty great. I thought it was a movie when the first trailers dropped so seeing that it's a series was a surprise. One of my complaints is that the character Rico feels like they went too much in the black comedy relief direction, but I'd recommend watching it.

I finished watching it today. Compared to recently released animation, thought it was better than Centaurworld and Raya and the Last Dragon, but not as good as The Owl House's second season and Amphibia. Aside from what you said about Rico, at first I was like "This reminds me of something I've seen a few times before" with Rico's origin story, but I liked where they went with it. I liked The Three as characters more than Maya. Chimi had great lines in the fourth episode, and even though third-person barbarian speak in cartoons is kind of an unrealistic cliche, it led to some great dialog like "Parents raise Picchu right". It's rare for a character to have an arc about sometimes you can get deeply punished instead of deeply rewarded for doing the right thing. I kind of wonder that instead of saying "Go, and never come back" to the surrendering soldier or killing her, there was also the POW option.

When they brought up Maya lying about the prophecy, or misunderstanding the prophecy, I feel like I missed something, but it's like "all right, I'll roll with it".

I'd just watched the Lost Treasures of the Maya with Albert Lin documentary series before watching this. In 2018 or so, the area covered by the Mayan civilization was surveyed via LiDAR for the first time. Planes with lasers allowed creating a highly detailed elevation map of the surface beneath the trees, allowing archaeologists to find new pyramids in the dense jungle. It led to revising the area's population estimate from 1 million to 11 million, moving it up the list of ancient civilizations by that ranking. There were a few interesting artifacts and there was some interesting information, like how one group's rulers called themselves the Turtle Lords; turtles were regarded as holy due to an association with fertile, cracked earth.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 7, 2021

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Hexmage-SA posted:

I don't remember what the URL was, but I actually read the blog of the guy who helped write the first episode with Scrappy Doo in it. Him and Joe Barbera apparently had the idea of making Scrappy more like the chicken hawk from Foghorn Leghorn but standards & practices thought a character actually attacking the monsters or whatever would be a bad influence on kids.

Here's the blog. His name is Mark Evanier and he's worked on an incredible number of cartoons and comic books over the years.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So the new season of Animaniacs has quite a bit more adult humor than the first season. The first episode alone has a bit that rivals "finger Prince".

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hexmage-SA posted:

So the new season of Animaniacs has quite a bit more adult humor than the first season. The first episode alone has a bit that rivals "finger Prince".

Yeah, the first episode goes pretty hard. I’ve only watched two so far, but the second didn’t seem quite as far out there to me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Is half the show still Pinky and the Brain? I like them but they went a bit overboard with them in the last season. I'm pretty sure they have more screen time than the Warners.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

apropos of nothing, i came across this really weird movie called Howard Lovercraft and the Kingdom of Madness. it's the third and final movie in a trilogy of T.V. films. howard is a little kid of 8 or 9 years old and is the descendent of H.P. Lovecraft. as you could probably tell by the title/name, this is a movie that deals with the world that lovecraft created, which, as kind of a fan of lovecraft, i could totally dig.

the problem though, is i have no idea who this movie's target audience is supposed to be. now on one hand, the animation is absolute rear end. some of the worst 3d animation i've seen for an animated movie, rivaling that of ugly, janky 3d we saw in 90s cartoons. one could brush this off by saying it's probably for kids so they wouldn't care, as little kids don't have high standards.

but on the one hand, it's got a pretty cool cast involved: Mark Hamill, Scott McNeil, and Doug Bradley, who imo steals the show as Nyarlathotep. the writing and dialogue is pretty great too, particularly all of Nyarlathotep's lines, delivered brilliantly by bradley. and the story, setting, and dialogue are all very much...um, NOT kid friendly at all. i mean, the whole idea of "lovecraft but for kids" seems like a tough sell, but especially one made like this.

so i don't really know who this is designed for. it doesn't seem like a quick cash grab necessarily cause they seemed to go out of their way to get someone like hamill (he must have owed the director a favor or something) so maybe most of the budget was spent on him and the VA cast so there wasn't left for the animation team maybe? but it's kind of a shame that the animation sucks because honestly if it had a bigger budget, this could legitimately be decent. this movie is just more fascinating that it exists than anything. as i said, doug bradley's lines are all great and remind me of this also extremely questionable character in a supposed children's movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf5_ue2Lzw

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh hey I remember that! Specifically the comic it's based on:

I think I got a free chapter at Comic Con or something? It was ages ago so honestly I'm not sure. Anyways the comic had the same "who is this even for" issue where it's drawn like something for adults and had really dark moments but was mostly written for kids in a way that would alienate older audiences. To the comic's credit though the art at least looked somewhat interesting. The movies on the other hand... don't.

I wish producers would realize that you can't do CG productions without a significant budget to make things not look like rear end. Had these movies been made using 2D animation they could have at least still captured some of the visual charm of the comic using creative stylization even if they didn't have the money to make things move all that much. I think most CG looks like poo poo though so I might be biased.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Is half the show still Pinky and the Brain? I like them but they went a bit overboard with them in the last season. I'm pretty sure they have more screen time than the Warners.

This and the previous season were basically developed simultaneously so yes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr Interweb posted:

Doug Bradley, who imo steals the show as Nyarlathotep

This is a casting choice I would never considered and holy poo poo it's loving perfect.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So they finally put all of Henry Danger on Paramount+. Man, that last episode hit loving hard. I had to keep my poo poo together when I came out this morning and sat down to watch the last episode with my kids (having not seen episodes 36-38 of S5, I had no loving idea what was going on other than Drex had Ray and Henry fighting him, Schwoz and the kids taped up, and two cavemen). Henry taking the blimp down into Swellview Mountain, I fully thought that show went off the rails and actually killed off a kids' show main character. Then the whole Danger Force Academy thing was revealed and I got excited for another Dangerverse show.

I really wanna see a spinoff of The Thundermans too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

but on the one hand, it's got a pretty cool cast involved: Mark Hamill, Scott McNeil, and Doug Bradley, who imo steals the show as Nyarlathotep. the writing and dialogue is pretty great too, particularly all of Nyarlathotep's lines, delivered brilliantly by bradley. and the story, setting, and dialogue are all very much...um, NOT kid friendly at all. i mean, the whole idea of "lovecraft but for kids" seems like a tough sell, but especially one made like this.

readingatwork posted:

I think I got a free chapter at Comic Con or something? It was ages ago so honestly I'm not sure. Anyways the comic had the same "who is this even for" issue where it's drawn like something for adults and had really dark moments but was mostly written for kids in a way that would alienate older audiences. To the comic's credit though the art at least looked somewhat interesting. The movies on the other hand... don't.

These dark moments, scenes, bits of dialogue, are we talking Animals Of Farthing Wood dark, or something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

I feel like kids are basically fine with having the poo poo scared out of them, with some exceptions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drrockso20 posted:

It's an extremely brief cameo and he's both aged up and not wearing his usual outfit and is a silent cameo too so extremely easy to miss and pretty pointless as these go too

A store belonging to him shows up the Halloween movie Scooby movie. I think Scarecrow comes out of it or something which is a hint that he is not the real bad guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Oh hey I remember that! Specifically the comic it's based on:

I wish producers would realize that you can't do CG productions without a significant budget to make things not look like rear end. Had these movies been made using 2D animation they could have at least still captured some of the visual charm of the comic using creative stylization even if they didn't have the money to make things move all that much. I think most CG looks like poo poo though so I might be biased.

holy poo poo, someone else besides me is aware of this besides me :hfive:

Funky Valentine posted:

This is a casting choice I would never considered and holy poo poo it's loving perfect.

it REALLY is. he sounded familiar to me before i knew who it was, and once i found out, i was like "yeah, that seems about right".

it helps that he has the best dialogue in the film too (not that that's a high bar considering almost all of the rest of characters' dialogue is awful)

Open Source Idiom posted:

These dark moments, scenes, bits of dialogue, are we talking Animals Of Farthing Wood dark, or something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

I feel like kids are basically fine with having the poo poo scared out of them, with some exceptions.

the former. there's not a lot of violence or anything, but there's a good chunk of dark, ominous trippy moments.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I'm getting from this video is that they just want Be Cool, but with the Fred from Mystery Inc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MEdwardsVA/status/1457488560328687616?s=20

I'd never heard of this show before but now I'm mad that it's not streaming anywhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It looks like a Galaxy High reboot.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten about that show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

D34THROW posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten about that show.

Same but I do remember it after seeing that clip.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Since it's been on after The Owl House and now Amphibia I've started watching Miraculous and it is captivating...ly bad. And like, I know that I shouldn't think about it so hard or complain about all the reused plots/lack of character growth/canned animation because I grew up watching Power Rangers and Christ knows that has all the same problems, but I guess now that I'm older it's just so much more evident.

And yet, I can't stop watching. Like every episode I'm compelled to watch if only so I can think about ways it could be better. Supposedly it's getting a movie? This must be how it felt for my parents when I was so hyped for the Power Rangers movie, it makes me feel ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

honestly i think part of what i like about miraculous is the classic schlockiness. when it's corny and over the top just the right amount it's like the nostalgia glands in my brain kick into overdrive. there was a stretch where the production values seemed to have taken a dive and the teen drama is tiresome, but the mime episode was excellent and i will never not defend it.