Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Reiley posted:

You can do anything you can dream of as long as it happens in a two-foot radius.

That doesn't seem true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Dabir posted:

Doesn't Simon's fire water also detonate the Links' bombs?

i think they said this when they first described how link's remote bombs work, or in a loading screen tip or something, but i've seen the remote bombs get hit by fire and not explode a couple times. i haven't really tested it out though. or maybe i misread and they were talking about the other links' bombs. though, don't they explode when pretty much anything hits them?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Good to know

And yeah it sure seems that way. How do you recommend edge guarding him then? His recovery is pretty wild considering how insane his buttons seem to be

Maybe I should go watch some footage or something..

Most characters attack him from the side- hit him with a back/forward air as he goes up past you, assuming you're playing a character with a good enough recovery to throw an attack down there and still get back. Some characters are better at this then others, but most K.Rools aren't looking for the stage spike until you show you can punish the Up+B. Or play Mega Man and laugh in Hard Knuckle every time he tries to recover low.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That doesn't seem true at all.

anything

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

b_d posted:

i think they said this when they first described how link's remote bombs work, or in a loading screen tip or something, but i've seen the remote bombs get hit by fire and not explode a couple times. i haven't really tested it out though. or maybe i misread and they were talking about the other links' bombs. though, don't they explode when pretty much anything hits them?

Adult Link's bombs have some type of force or aura property whereas Toon and Young Link both have fire type bombs with lit fuses that will detonate on any contact with fire, I think

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1457340597124087808?s=20

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I finally got Minecraft Steve and I do not understand how he works. Help?

Watch the video where Mr.Sakurai explains all his stuff

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

#videogame

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

It sometimes feels like Halo players don't want Halo to be a genre.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

#platformfigthter

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

why did you post a tweet with 0 engagement or comments that makes a pretty pointless statement

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it’s pretty gauche to post your own tweets

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

hatty posted:

it’s pretty gauche to post your own tweets

Like the paintbrush???

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yes

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Boba Pearl posted:

Like the paintbrush???

very goauche to point out an error like that

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I've started doing online Falcon because I think I like him most out of everybody and I'm having a decent win rate, but every now and then I run into a Dedede and they rock my poo poo.

That hammer just swings non stop. There is no downtime. When he trips, he can redo and trip again in the middle of his trip, and I cannot stop him no matter what I do.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool. Falcon is neat and a fun character to go with.

I had a fun series of group losses the other day as Ness. Got me out of Elite which was nice, because the matches were too serious too often.

I got into a series of fights with two Ganondorfs, who then would just gang up on me and then a Bowser and Bowser Jr who would do the same.

I approved since it was thematic. Also, it became pretty clear I could take them on 1v1 so they decided to off me first, I didn't win often, but I also gave as good as I got. It was fun. Ness is pretty ok dealing with groups. His weight is remarkable for one so small.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

For 1v1 online play, what are the "correct" settings to put in?

I know 3 stocks/no items is the standard similar to the past games, and I think like 3+ minutes should be the timer? Are there settings for stages that people are using for more "serious" play or whatever?

I don't really mind just getting dumped on random stages, but it'd be nice to play in a somewhat tournament environment since I'd like to enter a few online events.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
3 stock 7 minutes is the usual standard I think. I tend to flip between Omega or Battlefield only depending on my mood/character but I usually lean towards Battlefield

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

3 stock 7 minutes is the usual standard I think. I tend to flip between Omega or Battlefield only depending on my mood/character but I usually lean towards Battlefield

Omega is basically just only FD right?

Yeah I'll probably stick mostly to battlefield myself then. It's more fun with platforms and such!

I know that some stages are legal like pokemon stadium 2 and such, so I wasn't sure if there was a way to configure it for online play to only use the legal stages basically. I didn't think to check if you could actually turn on and off stages for random select come to think of it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 8, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

3 Stock, 7 Minutes Battlefield is the try-hard stage.

I personally allow all stages with hazards because I like having fun. I've also stopped looking for 1v1 for the most part and just do Free-for-all. It's more fun, though sometime someone shows up with too many items.

The item rate in this game is bonkers.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I personally allow all stages with hazards because I like having fun.

lol

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Reiley posted:

Ultimate is the perfect Smash game, no further Smash sequels are required.

I kinda want some of the Mario spinoffs to include Smash-style rosters.

Like Mario Kart 8 already has Link, Inklings, and Villager & Isabelle, plus some F-Zero stuff and the Amiibo costumes (and R.O.B. was in the DS one). Just go full Smash for the next game. Add in all the first-party reps and maybe some of the "easier" third-parties (Pac-Man's been in the arcade ones, Mega Man seems doable, maybe Sonic but he's got his own racers), karts themed after different characters and series, hand out some unique/semi-unique special items like Double Dash and maybe swap out some of the existing power-ups if you're on a non-Mario track.

Mario Party and the sports games could easily become Nintendo Party, etc.

The real dream for me though would be the platformer that Melee Adventure Mode and Subspace Emissary had flashes of, but didn't quite live up to. Or make it a full on Metroidvania where progression is gated by recruiting appropriate characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

3 Stock, 7 Minutes Battlefield is the try-hard stage.

I personally allow all stages with hazards because I like having fun. I've also stopped looking for 1v1 for the most part and just do Free-for-all. It's more fun, though sometime someone shows up with too many items.

The item rate in this game is bonkers.

This is terrorism

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

multijoe posted:

This is terrorism

I agree battling Pokémon and Assist Trophies or having people focus solely on MacGuffin 3 piece weapons is a bit tedious, let alone all the pauses for Final Smashes.

The best fights are the free-for-alls with no items. I had one of those on Big Blue which was good silly fun.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

TVs Ian posted:

I kinda want some of the Mario spinoffs to include Smash-style rosters.

Like Mario Kart 8 already has Link, Inklings,

we need Linklings NOW.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Items in general are too powerful in Ultimate. Rather than adding chaos to a match, they make its flow predictable. Melee or Brawl hit the sweet spot.

The worst stage in the game is hazards-off Shadow Moses Island, because disabling hazards means the walls can't break. It's worse than New Pork City, which is huge and has stage geometry that doesn't force players into conflict, so most of the match is just jumping around; it's worse than 75m, which is difficult to move around in and has few interesting places to fight; it's worse than Paper Mario, which is 2/3 annoying gimmicks in close quarters.

The DLC ended up trending toward simple stages because the fighters themselves are interesting enough - as long as you give them a layout where the best way to win is to fight normally and take risks, and even when it gives advantages to one player or the other, it still takes work to put them to good use. This is why Gamer has the best hazards in the game; avoiding or exploiting 5-Volt still requires you to play your entire fighter.

In a casual environment where you can trust that there will be sufficient social censure against playing lame, you can add stages like Temple, where boring poo poo like running out the clock or camping near a walk-off is possible, but nobody wants to win badly enough to do it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

The items were perfect in 64 and its never been the same since.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dr.acula posted:

the flippers in melee were pretty funny but yeah 4/ultimate added way too many instant death items like the galaxian and the beetle from skyward sword, etc. and brawl had the dragoon which on its own was fine but then in 4 they added even more "collect all the pieces to basically get a final smash" items

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I def customize my items to be no OHKO stuff. Which also sadly means Assist Trophies as a whole gotta go. But even then, on low they show up way too much and I've gotten used to playing without them entirely. It's sad.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Alxprit posted:

I def customize my items to be no OHKO stuff. Which also sadly means Assist Trophies as a whole gotta go. But even then, on low they show up way too much and I've gotten used to playing without them entirely. It's sad.

yeah as fun as assist trophies and pokemon are there are way too many new ones that are way way way too strong

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Also being able to move while picking up items feels a little too easy to me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

To make items more fun, increase the length of the match, so that the overall impact of any one drop is minimized. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps. Combine with Squad Strike and Stage Shift to restore variety.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Pokemon and Assist Trophies should be cute little dudes on the stage with a minute effect. Not only are most of the new ones way too complex and on the stage for way too long, but I'm pretty sure a lot of them deal more knockback than actual characters do.

I might be thinking of 4 on that one, though. Flying Man was more effective than actual moves on Magicant 9 times out of 10 in that game.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

dr.acula posted:

I think melees item selection is pretty close to perfect. A lot of stuff they added after has been mostly trash

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im almost certain its nostalgia but theres a good number of brawl items i miss. Especially the firecracker gun

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think Melee had the best set of items, but even then my friend group always turned off Hammers and healing items.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there a reason the fan isn’t back?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

hatty posted:

Fans tend to stick with older titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

hatty posted:

Items are fun, but the fan was degenerate to gameplay. Unlike any other item which can stunlock players, the fan could keep players in hitstun indefinitely. This is especially true if you don't know how to DI, which most casual players don't. It may be fun for the user, but being unable to move for tens of seconds at a time isn't enjoyable.

There's some items from past games which were removed because they were probably too redundant. The flipper from Melee is almost identical to the bumper. The barrel launcher from Melee is unusual in how it was removed from Brawl but it's been replaced by the star launcher from Smash 4. The parasol was cute in how it let you float, but it wasn't interesting or fun to use, and it's been replaced by the tanooki leaf and jet pack in function anyway. The cloaking device was mostly just annoying to use due to how polarized its effectiveness is, as it either completely confused new players or didn't help against experienced players at all, and the ability to avoid taking damage just made it a worse power star, so it's clear why it didn't come back.

The only item I can't imagine why they'd take out is the cracker launcher. That weapon was really fun and hasn't been replicated functionally.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 9, 2021