Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

esata

still have a couple cables around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and now i almost miss fishmech the esata-p stan

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

and when did we start saving 0.007 per ram socket by only having one end be a latch, and the other's just a plastic hook that doesn't move? I paid a hundred and eighty dollars for that motherboard, what the gently caress

lol what the gently caress trash motherboard did you get

i got a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite last year and it didn't have that poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

and when did we start saving 0.007 per ram socket by only having one end be a latch, and the other's just a plastic hook that doesn't move? I paid a hundred and eighty dollars for that motherboard, what the gently caress

weird i like the 1-sided clasp design a lot better

i think lots of people broke the dual-clasps not quite understanding how the exact seating mechanic worked, and the single side gives a clearer implied method to seat them? And less force required.

at least, *i* feel a lot less like im about to destroy the mainboard itself pushing ram down when using the leverage of the hinged side and swinging it down into place

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol what the gently caress trash motherboard did you get

i got a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite last year and it didn't have that poo poo

uh asus rog x570. it's not trash. it just has annoying ram clips. hth

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

uh asus rog x570. it's not trash. it just has annoying ram clips. hth

maybe you should vote for a new leader for the Democratic Republic of Gamers and tell them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i think i like the one sided ones better too. leverage is superior to pushing straight down and feeling like you're going to crack the board in half

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ddr pins are not meant for that sort of swivel bullshit. i will disagree i with the hooting mob here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

90% of people probably snap one side down first and then the other anyway so ddr pins will be just fine

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

90% of people probably snap one side down first and then the other anyway so ddr pins will be just fine

I've always done it perfectly symmetrical with two thumbs, one on each corner until it snapped in place on both sides simultaneously. At the cost of bending the board a lot, but it ended up fine so i figured that was the right way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

I've always done it perfectly symmetrical with two thumbs, one on each corner until it snapped in place on both sides simultaneously. At the cost of bending the board a lot, but it ended up fine so i figured that was the right way

thank you for not being a loving animal. my god you people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

ddr pins are not meant for that sort of swivel bullshit.

clearly it works fine at least once, so i assume you mean the pins will wear out sooner if you do it a lot of times.

who cares? why are you taking ram out of your computer? why are you reusing the sticks? don't you have 128gb of ram for some insane reason?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ddr socket fingers are not meant for sideways movement and you forgot to include your calculations of how much those things gotta slide sideways when you jam one end in to a fixed socket and swivel the other down to secure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like 99.9% of your posts, but if this is the hill you're gonna die on, i'll bring the shovel and a tree to plant above you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i totally see your point from a theoretical technical perspective.

even if it's true, i think it literally does not matter for 99.999% of users. and if it were causing damage to ddr sockets more than one time in a million, we would have heard about it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sure. it's still pennywise and slightly abusive to the socket spec. that's my main problem. I'm sure it works fine and I jammed $520 of RAM into those sockets and it works fine, but it doesnt mean i gotta like it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

thank you for not being a loving animal. my god you people

THAT SAID i hated doing it that way!! and still agree with the hinge-lever approach!!!!1

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ram is the kind of thing that is expected to be installed and removed like, 3 times in its entire lifespan. it's probably built to withstand hundreds of cycles

you're not going to gently caress it up by applying slight torsion on the contacts during seating

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

snap down one side first crew reporting in

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i totally see your point from a theoretical technical perspective.

even if it's true, i think it literally does not matter for 99.999% of users. and if it were causing damage to ddr sockets more than one time in a million, we would have heard about it.

it's like the old athlon/duron heatsinks: lots of people complained about how horrible they were and how they broke traces on the motherboard trying to install them, but ultimately it was just a handful of extremely uncoordinated people with fists made of ham. they weren't a good design, sure, but they weren't that hard to work with overall

getting that duron 800, bridging the traces with a pencil and seeting 4 digit clock speeds for the first time was :eyepop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

ram is the kind of thing that is expected to be installed and removed like, 3 times in its entire lifespan. it's probably built to withstand hundreds of cycles

you're not going to gently caress it up by applying slight torsion on the contacts during seating

Hey, that's fine as long as they'll honor my RMA if I do.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sniep posted:

honestly, upgradability these days is a non-issue, as by the time you are ready to upgrade anything, the whole system is ready for a refresh and it doesn't cost that much overall

30 years ago when that 33mhz 486 system cost you $7000 1990s dollars though, it was extremely important. you could still buy a new car for what a computer cost then. not a very good one, mind you, but a car nonetheless

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The_Franz posted:

honestly, upgradability these days is a non-issue, as by the time you are ready to upgrade anything, the whole system is ready for a refresh and it doesn't cost that much overall

30 years ago when that 33mhz 486 system cost you $7000 1990s dollars though, it was extremely important. you could still buy a new car for what a computer cost then. not a very good one, mind you, but a car nonetheless

and you still only changed the ram a few times thats not something anyone has ever really just hosed with regularly

so its got soft metals meant for maximum conductivity/contact, not super hard surfaces for utility use. so however you get it in there it's going to find a way. idk, that's at least in my mind's eye of the physics of it, maybe im way off.

there's gotta be a youtube on just this

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recall in 2009-ish having an RSS reader, and it was sublime. Everything I cared to keep tabs on in one spot.

Some how everyone got tricked into using 4 different social media sites I have to keep phantom accounts on to follow the bands and artists and poo poo I like.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somehow?

it was advertising

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I use RSS feeds still because gently caress that poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Remember when computers didn't look like the Borg assimilated a clown?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you want to complain about something, complain about pci-e card locks. usually the video card is so big that you can't even reach down to disengage the lock.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Remember when computers didn't look like the Borg assimilated a clown?

i used to think this too, but then i turned my monitor on.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

RSS feeds still work today OP

i like miniflux, paired with reeder app on ios talking to miniflux over fever API

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you want to complain about something, complain about pci-e card locks. usually the video card is so big that you can't even reach down to disengage the lock.

:yeah:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I use a block of wood & a hydraulic press to seat my RAM, ensuring a perfect insertion as both latches click in absolute synchronicity milliseconds before being crushed into dust with the rest of the mobo.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"i can either insert my ram on one side first or press on it with enough force to break through a wall, there is no other option"

goddamn i didnt know yosposters were such scrubs at installing ram

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

scientists believe that around 65 million years ago the dinosaurs were completely wiped out by an asteroid impact so large that it covered the entire earth in ash and dust. the impact itself was so massive that it generated upwards of 1/8 of the force required to insert a single stick of DDR4 ram

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

deep in an underground bunker 2500 feet below the earths mantle in Denver Colorado, Jonny 290 undertakes the most daunting task: safely install 128GB of DDR4. he wipes the sweat from his brow as he stares at a the Asus ROG 360 NoScOpE special edition RGB motherboard and matched Ballistix ram with gold anodized heat sinks.

“here we go” he mutters to the team pumping oxygen to keep them all alive deep below the earths surface. “it’s a risk, but the extra chrome tabs will be worth it”. he grabs the glistening ram stick and has to make the hardest decision of his life…….one side first, or both sides at the same time. existence itself hangs in the balance and only he can make the call.

Jonny steels himself and says aloud, as record for future generations “we’re going full insertion, both tabs at the same time”. a gasp is heard from the bystanders. they’ve only heard of this technique, it’s never been tried.

the ram shines in the harsh laboratory lights. the pressing begins. the ram moves downwards

at the same time, clear across the earth, in Australia:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

deep in an underground bunker 2500 feet below the earths mantle in Denver Colorado, Jonny 290 undertakes the most daunting task: safely install 128GB of DDR4. he wipes the sweat from his brow as he stares at a the Asus ROG 360 NoScOpE special edition RGB motherboard and matched Ballistix ram with gold anodized heat sinks.

“here we go” he mutters to the team pumping oxygen to keep them all alive deep below the earths surface. “it’s a risk, but the extra chrome tabs will be worth it”. he grabs the glistening ram stick and has to make the hardest decision of his life…….one side first, or both sides at the same time. existence itself hangs in the balance and only he can make the call.

Jonny steels himself and says aloud, as record for future generations “we’re going full insertion, both tabs at the same time”. a gasp is heard from the bystanders. they’ve only heard of this technique, it’s never been tried.

the ram shines in the harsh laboratory lights. the pressing begins. the ram moves downwards

at the same time, clear across the earth, in Australia:

lol

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Progressive JPEG posted:

RSS feeds still work today OP

i like miniflux, paired with reeder app on ios talking to miniflux over fever API

Might have to look into this. I've been using selfoss for a while because it has a convenient web interface but it's not really actively maintained.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Wild EEPROM posted:

thank god I'm not the only one who got problems if those.

my current technique involves chopsticks and a blood offering to the Noctua D14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hard ram and loud butter, the yospos story